Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
MASKS: KEYSTONE BAY

Situated in the scenic woodlands of the Pacific Northwest, Keystone Bay boasts a charming mix of old and new. From the historic buildings of downtown, including one of the largest cathedrals ever constructed on American soil, to the gleaming towers of Mendip Heights Keystone Bay has everything a tourist -- or new citizen -- could ever want to see or do.

Also, it has rain (lots of rain) and super-people.

Where Halcyon City is the home of superheroes, Keystone Bay has always been the home of the weird. Something about the gloomy woods, the fog that rolls in from the sea, and the mountains visible on the horizon seems to attract sorcerers, cryptids, paranormalists, and other strangeness. Once watched over solely by the immortal magician Jeremiah Keystone, the rise in super-powered people across America has seen a corresponding increase in super activity in the Bay -- on both sides of the law.

But there's more to the Bay's cape population than just witches and monsters. In the tech district of Mendip Heights -- known in promo material as 'North San Fran' -- software, robotics, and biotech companies do their part. Mutants arise among the population at the usual rate. Even aliens show up from time to time, looking for some part of the human experience that evades them in more pedestrian places.

Also you.

It's MASKS time!

----

Some misc notes before we get started:

• This is supposed to be a fun game among friends. It's unlikely to go to as dark places as e.g. Monsterhearts because it's supposed to be teen superhero angst not teen monsters being awful, but I want all players to feel comfortable saying 'no' if the story goes somewhere bad for them -- and if someone does, everyone else needs to respect that.
  • I've written Keystone Bay as a place where 'a wizard did it' is a plausible explanation for things, but don't think you have to app 'magical' characters. Plenty of room here for anything and everything.
  • I'm going to be pulling NPCs from various sources, so expect expys.
  • I'm going to try out this play-by-Discord thing. Make characters in this thread, then we'll move to Discord for the actual game.
  • Gen a complete character except for the 'when the team first came together' and bonds questions. Answer the chargen questions as you go. Feel free to make up details of Keystone Bay or the greater world as necessary.
  • Apps will be open until midnight UK time next Friday (the 14th).

So... let's go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Jossar posted:

Ooh neat, another Masks game.

Hmm...

I have an idea, but my ideas naturally tend to cross playbooks somewhat. If I wanted to play a slightly delinquent character invested with the powers/heritage of a nursery rhyme would that properly be Delinquent or Legacy?

Hmm. I think it depends on the themes you want to explore with the character. The delinquent playbook is all about acting out, seeking an audience (and that audience's approval), while still being true to yourself. The legacy is all about how well you fill the shoes of historical figures who have come before you, and how you make those shoes your own.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Boink.

https://discord.gg/XeReTxv

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I'm willing to entertain almost any concept. As I've mentioned in chat with Yami Fenrir, I'm 100% fine with 'out there'.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
It occurs to me that giving a deadline of midnight was a mistake because I'm a) tired and b) quite busy tomorrow.

So, picks!

Fleet, played by Arashiofordo3
Arcadia, played by Tricky
Moon Dragon Princess, played by Yami Fenrir
The Illusionist, played by Mors Rattus
Lionheart, played by Godfish

This was ridiculously difficult due to a generally high standard of applications, and I feel horribly guilty for not being able to accommodate everyone but I absolutely do not have the time to run more than one game.

Hop in the Discord if you're not already there and start sorting out Influence and When We All Came Together questions -- if I've got it right the order is Moon Dragon Princess, Fleet, Lionheart, Illusionist, Arcadia.

And thank you to everyone who took the time to apply.

• Locked thread