Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Makin' a Nova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Tower, the Nova

Stupid lightning. Always hitting people and giving them stupid powers. I had a hard enough time making friends before I became a weird albino who gives static shocks to everyone within five feet!

I'm never going camping again. Not even if the event ad guarantees I'll meet new pals instead of just implying it! Well, I might. If there really is a guarantee.

quote:

• When did you first use your powers?
What, like, on purpose? Couple of days after I got discharged from the hospital — they couldn't wait to get rid of me, 'cause their expensive equipment kept getting fried — I wanted to see if these stupid powers would at least let me fly or something.

Turns out they kind of do, but hurricane-force updrafts don't really make for precise movement. Or soft landings. Sheer luck I didn't break a leg or two! If you can call any of this 'lucky'.

quote:

• Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?
Does the lightning bolt that powered me count? Because that hurt me! A lot! I was unconscious for a week, and it ruined my life! ...I guess that doesn't fit the bill. Wasn't me that did it.

So. It was my first day back at school — I had a wig and colored contacts, so I didn't look too weird — and as usual, people were ignoring me. You'd think they'd be at least a little curious about where I'd been, but nope! Caring is for friends! Well, all that lack of empathy made me a little upset.

Before, when I got upset, people would just kind of laugh it off (if they acknowledged me at all). This time, I made an earthquake happen. Not on purpose, and it was just a tiny one, but... some bookshelves in the library fell over on top of a junior, and he ended up with some bruises and a nasty concussion. I feel pretty bad about it, even if nobody knows it was my fault.

Nobody even asked me to sign the 'get well' card, because of course he got one. Jerks!

quote:

• Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?
Dr. Reynolds, I guess. He's my dumb therapist. They set you up with one of those if your life is upended by a thunderbolt to the face, you know. Anyway, he's all about the 'psychological balance' and 'counting to ten' and 'breathing exercises' and all that. It helps a little. I make way fewer sinkholes now than I did the first month.

He also insists on shaking hands at the start of every session, which is super weird because with me that's like a fifty-fifty shot of getting tasered. 'Cause of the uncontrollable static buildup, you see? I get that it's about a sense of normalcy or whatever, but dude. If you end up convulsing on the floor, that's not gonna make me feel more normal.

quote:

• Why do you continue to use your powers?
They didn't exactly come with an off switch! Believe me, I would love to go back to boring brown-eyed, brunette non-shocking old Catherine. But I can't, because now it's always windy around me and I smell like ozone, and nobody wants to hang out with smelly wind-girl! Not that they wanted to hang with normal Catherine either...

Plus, it gets worse if I don't have an outlet. Gotta vent the pressure every now and then — power-wise and emotionally! Doctor taught me that. I guess a bit of collateral damage is just the price you pay for something resembling mental health, in my situation. That's kind of... super unfair, isn't it?

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?
I don't know if you noticed, but I'm a bit starved for friendship. It's kinda pathetic, I know, but... as long as I'm useful, I don't think these guys are going to ditch me. Even if I'm an angry rear end in a top hat sometimes. Superhero teams are like, guaranteed camradarie, right? As long as I don't destroy their homes or something... Oh gosh, what if I destroy their homes?

quote:

Hero Name: Tower

Look: woman, white, occasionally sparky skin, casual clothing, fantastical costume

Abilities:
Elemental control (storm, earth and sea)

Labels:
Danger: +2
Freak: +2
Savior: +0
Superior: +0
Mundane: -1

Burn:
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions.

Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.

Flares:

Moat: Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.

Overcharge: You channel the full capacity of your incredible powers to overcome an obstacle, reshape your environment, or extend your senses. Spend 2 burn to take a 10+ when you unleash your powers.

Elemental awareness: Spend 1 burn and mark a condition to open your mind up to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you, and the GM will answer honestly.

Snatch: Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Team moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

Moment of truth:
Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

When our team first came together...
We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships:
You hang out all the time with _________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt _______ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: happy facade or locked down.
If you choose happy facade, give Influence to three teammates.
If you choose locked down, give Influence to one teammate.

• Locked thread