Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Interest post! Would a Nova whose powerset revolves around hacking into broken superweapons from defeated villains work, do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Kolbaius, the Outsider

quote:

• Where do you come from?
Well, that's a good question. I was born on a planet very far away from this one, that had previously been owned by a mostly-aquatic species of aliens who, through their own negligence and incompetent leaders, wound up irreversibly poisoning the oceans they relied upon to live. The planet was barren of most life for 50 years... and then a pod descended. This pod contained a single member of my species, who quickly adapted an immunity to the poisoned waters and began the task of growing and getting the planet ready for incoming colony ship of my species. That pod came from a planet that, until very recently, was covered mostly by molten lava and the occasional patch of desert until another pod landed THERE and its inhabitant adapted to the extreme heat and general lack of food. So, I don't really have a "homeland", if that's what you're asking. The Squatters live wherever there is somewhere to live. We find the places that are empty, and make them not empty again. Our homes are the places where nobody else has them.

quote:

• Why did you come to Earth?
...yeah, you would ask that, after my little patriotic spiel. Well, all cards on the table? I'm mostly here by accident. The Squatters, my people, rely on a series of scouts and reports to inform them when a planet is freshly uninhabited, so that we may bring a pod there, to begin the task of scavenging the remains and preparing the place for its new inhabitants. And one of those reports that got sent was about Earth... around the time the dinosaurs were wiped out. As it turns out, the scout hadn't even checked the planet itself. He just saw a meteor hit the place and assumed any life on it was stone dead and there were probably some cities for us to loot. So the pod containing my infant self was dropped into the ocean by Keystone Bay, ALSO under the assumption that since this planet had so much water, the dominant life-forms must have been aquatic. A commercial fisherman found the pod floating on the waves, still halfway through adapting me to Earth's environment. When it opened, he gave me to his friend, who had been hoping to adopt a kid with their husband and had decided an alien baby was just as deserving of unconditional parental love.

quote:

• Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?
Are you kidding me? Like I'm just gonna bail on this place? I grew up here, man! You think I'm gonna do that to my friends, my family? Oh, yeah, no, it'll just be like me moving upstate, except the phone bills'll be even more catastrophic!!! You think AT&T reaches rebuilt dead planets?!?

Okay, sorry, sorry, we don't yell at other people, we don't yell at other people...

Alright, I know a lot of other aliens tend to come here when they're around my age. They wanna get what the human experience is all about. See what us... I mean, you Earthlings get up to. But I'm not like that. I may not have been born here, but Earth's all I've ever known. And just because other Squatters wanna show up NOW, when they think I've been spending my adolescence building up a dying planet for them, and make some big deal about me not "acting like myself", they can shove it up their... um... well, I suppose it depends on their specific adaptations, doesn't it? Look, I just don't want to leave here to "go back" to a life I never knew, and don't want to know. Earth is my home, and it always will be.

quote:

• Why do your people want you to come home?
Because most Squatters are... well, they don't get things like this. Our reproductive style is very limited. We produce limited offspring, to send to planets with limited amounts of survivability, to harvest their limited resources so we can transfer the majority of our population there. Which, from what I've lead to believe, is a major change from the way we used to do things. But because of it, a lot of us Squatters go our entire formative years never once meeting another sentient life. We know our "tasks", so to speak, and so we perform them, but we're not really getting guided by anyone. And then when we're all grown up and have the limited starts of a shantytown, beings show up that look like us and talk a language we somehow understand, and so we're immediately thrust into acting like other Squatters because it's all we know, and infinitely more comfortable than the life we had before.

But that ALSO means we're "supposed" to value our own people above all else, because usually we're the only people we've got. So now that I'm on a planet with other living people, who raised me from childhood, who have been friends with me since childhood, who're helping me understand a world that I was never supposed to arrive in, they just don't get it. They expect me to be instinctively hostile to non-Squatter life, and to love them all to death just by virtue of us being the same species. But I'm not, and I don't, and they're pretty pissy about that. Let them be.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?
...what? Did... did you just miss my heartfelt speeches there? Okay... well, I care about the team because they care about me. Because these aliens from a society my people would have me loathe just for not being us have shown me more care, compassion, and unconditional love than my "homeland" has since the day they put my embryo in a drat gestation pod. They care about me, Kolby, the person. I could be ANYONE and they'd care about me as long as I cared about them. I'm not loving Colonizer Serial Number 2612763, "Kolbaius", I'm a person! A unique person who can find my own way and doesn't need to have every other human loving judging me just for being alive in a way they don't approve of! I would die for these people, okay? Die for them.

quote:

HERO NAME: Kolbaius
REAL NAME (IF DIFFERENT): Kolby

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving
exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of
course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after
all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show
them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit
in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

POTENTIAL >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑
Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential.
Advancement
When you fill your potential track, you advance. Choose from the list below.
❑ Take another move from your playbook
❑ Take another move from your playbook
❑ Take a move from another playbook
❑ Someone permanently loses Influence over you;
add +1 to a Label
❑ Rearrange your Labels as you choose, and add
+1 to a Label
❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth
❑ Choose two new abilities from any playbook as
you come into your own
❑ You adopt a human life; take Secret Identity and
The Mask from the Janus playbook
When you’ve taken five advances from the top list, you can take advances from the list below.
❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth after you’ve used it
once
❑ Change playbooks
❑ Take an adult move
❑ Take an adult move
❑ Lock a Label, and add +1 to a Label of your
choice
❑ Retire from the life or become a paragon of the
city

Look
• man
• animalistic body
• glowing eyes
• average clothing
• no costume
Kolby's adaptations have resulted in his taking on a form that can best be described as "mammalian". His skin is covered entirely by a layer of white fur, his hands end in pointed claws, and his teeth are those of a predator, grown to the point that they outright impede his speech slightly. His eyes glow a soft blue, a side-effect of the Gestation Pod's technology adapting his body.

Abilities
You can fly, and you’re pretty tough. Choose any two of the following:
❑ density control
❑ alien weaponry
Kolby's people, "The Squatters", are known mostly for their powerful technology cobbled together from that of dozens of dead species. The one adaptation that's "all them" is a limited ability to control the density of themselves and a small radius around them. This is typically used to increase the strength of their already powerful blows by making a limb much heavier just before the moment of impact, by the time momentum's done all the grunt-work for them.

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Influence
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Moves
❑ Alien tech: When you alter a human device
with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a
hit, you create a device that can do something
impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a
10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a
completely unintended side effect that the GM
will reveal when you use it.

❑ Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something
from your home. Detail its look, and choose two
strengths and two weaknesses. When you are
flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your
powers, directly engage a threat, or defend
someone using Superior.

The Gestational Pod is, technically speaking, designed to protect and adapt a Squatter embryo from the world around it. However, it is also capable of altering itself after the fact to serve as a basic vessel for the growing Squatter until others can arrive and provide the youth something more "suitable". However, as Kolby is pretty empathetic about where his fellow Squatters can stick their "gifts", he is stuck with this. The pod itself is roughly the size of a minivan, and just as powerful as you'd expect for something designed to protect a growing Squatter, but as it is expected to only see non-sentient life it has no way to disguise itself from smarter foes, or protect itself from its systems being interfered with.

Strengths: powerful weaponry, regenerating

Weaknesses: susceptible to
hacking, easily detectable

❑ The best of them: When you comfort or support
someone by telling them how they exemplify the
best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of
+ Mundane

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 8, 2018

• Locked thread