Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ Great insight, I like this theory.

The world USA recovered so quickly from devastating virus and crop failure. Maybe Thanos' plan to wipe out half the population isn't so crazy after all.

Flatscan posted:

Bloody hell, that dress :aaaaa:

The neckline on that dress plunged down further than the absurdity of their plan. "Let's show how easily we can assassinate their president, he'll really appreciate it". LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

power crystals posted:

Why is this stupid show so much fun and why can't I stop watching it.

I'm also glad to learn I'm not the only one who saw it and went "oh this is just Star Trek: Alec Baldwin".
This second episode is why. Naval tactics we don't get to see anywhere else.
I have no idea if what they do is technically plausible but they really sell it.

Slattery posted:

We improvise. No plan survives contact with the enemy.

Fighting in the ocean, fighting in the jungle, and now there's a computer geek who's going to help save the world.

Couple of other things:
I really thought Wolf was dead! Happy he's back. And is there any purpose in wearing navy camo or is it just a 'look'?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 18, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
This loving show is so star trekian, in the best way.

I liked that there was a minefield at sea to impede the enemy forces, and coincidentally, simultaneously a minefield on land that the good guys had to get through. Fortunately Danny has damned good eyesight.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

And Wolf is a good edit despite having blown off half a leg and being carried

Classic Wolf move.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 3, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

jfood posted:

someone in the writer's room wanted to film a long montage of a gunfight, plus 'murica actual getting yelled at for being a bad dad. they also wanted this set to cheesey as gently caress 'metal' music usually played over the ending credits of a japanese manga.

everyone else agreed. that so loving rules.

The metal music represented the anger and rage of a teenage girl.
Yes that juxtaposition of jungle combat and domestic conflict was bizarre. But what I can't figure out is:

80% of the population of Earth died in the plague. Then there was famine.But just 3 (?) years later, while South America is still in chaotic upheaval, and with all the satellites crashed to the ground, the USA seems pretty normal.

A fancy dress party where wealthy Southerners are writing cheques to help the military?! So surreal.

It would be nice to see a US urban area decimated by the plague for some context.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Just another day at the office

And the next time we see Chandler hours later he's okay to kick butt and lock lips.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 17, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

A proper holding facility probably wouldn't be right in the middle of the command center and wouldn't necessitate waving bad people in disguise through a secure checkpoint right into said command center in the event of a medical emergency.

That was so :24: with the CTU command centre that anyone could walk in to. But who cares about plot there was so much action.

Only three vs Wolf? Where's the challenge in that.

Funny coincidence, I got locked out of office last week and had to do the wall climb too.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 23, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Octy posted:

So we're not going to mention Miller's brave sacrifice of his legs?

Chandler was impaled and had a huge gaping hole in his gut. He cauterized it with a couple of rocks and was back on his feet a few hours later with no lasting ill effects. Miller is either going to re-grow his foot or be up and walking around on prosthetics in a few days.

I loved the scene on board the Nathan James when the captain was ordering the missile strike, they're so fast and calm under pressure. Meanwhile up in the air...

the expression on that gunner :argh:

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

I liked all the back and forth shots between the replica command center and the real one.
That was fun to watch.
So, how was your day, BattleMaster, same old routine? And what have you been up to, Adm. Chandler?

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 1, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The beach landing was so good. The ship v ship combat was fantastic. Watching torpedoes launch never gets old. Really going to miss this show.
RIP to my favourite character Stinger, the grimacing helicopter gunner.

I thought the oddness of that father/daughter sequence set up Chandler's bizarre near-death hallucinations in this final episode.

This mistake with shooting Wolf is that only makes him fight harder.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

PaybackJack posted:

You knew they were probably going to sink the James but god drat that hit home. I realized that I cared more about the James than I ever have about any ship named Enterprise.

This episode was pretty perfect, they knew exactly what the audience wanted and delivered. Navy ship battle action, fun little firefight scenes with a dude getting run over by a slow moving tank, Tavo getting no respect, and most important Wolf kicking dudes rear end with his sweet 90s style karate moves.

edit: Cool interview with the showrunner. TL:DR, the d-day battle came as a result of the Marines wanting to also be in the show and the landing stuff was from a live training exercise they did.
Also confirms that Wolf lives.

The evacuation of Nathan James looked like a drill, including the people jumping directly into the water. And this structure looked like it was set up for room-clearing training - walls with no roof, no doors, no windows.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna miss this show.
Not nearly as good without sound effects. Is there a better way to make gifs than giphy?

Catch you on the flip side, Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The premise of this series was great because we could have modern naval tech and tactics without being tied down to real-world politics and logistics. The only way there could be another like this is for a parody or tribute show, like The Orville is to Star Trek. Call it The Least Ship.

power crystals posted:

I read that as more her being all "you guys don't have a miracle handy this time?" but even with your version her character still came a huge way since season 1. I'm a huge fan of how everybody changed over the years, they didn't really let anyone stay static. Maybe except Slattery but I suspect they just told Adam Baldwin to play his vision of himself and let that work itself out.

Yes, I thought it was both that and, she's the Nathan James captain but Chandler's an admiral.

• Locked thread