Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Haven't watched episode 3 yet but I love this goofy show. Episode 2 doing the classic "I've been fighting this war too long. I'm going home tomorrow. Oh I'm dead." cliche was perfect.

Also this thread needs something...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

I'm glad that the girlfriend was actually an enemy spy. It was very 24-esque and they made it so obvious that I thought they might be building it up just so they could swerve us and have it been some other random character. Thankfully it was nice simple storytelling and I even liked that they threw in some lines about "doing your duty" just to make it a bit colder.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This show is so ridiculous. I don't even know what the gently caress to say about the firefight montage, then at the end a bunch of grown men hanging out drinking cherry cola, Southerner war bond party complete with southern belle offering someone sweet tea, random befriending of a mouse; but the only thing I'm certain of is that we need more Wolf and Azima make out sessions.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This episode was like a 24 tribute episode and it was great.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Octy posted:

So we're not going to mention Miller's brave sacrifice of his legs?

He gets to go back home and convalesce with a nice glass of "sweet tea". He'll get a medal, probably be pissed he has no legs for a while but then learns to use a chair while his sweet southern belle is there to take care of him.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think the only thing I'm not really liking about this season is the internal South American drama. Tavo having his wife be a fortune teller is just so freaking hokey that it's too much even for this show. I don't know how much we were supposed to care about the general guy anyway, they never really did much to show him as some kind of 'honorable', Desert Fox, type of character and simply being the viewpoint character for watching Tavo slip into becoming a ruthless dictator was unnecessary. Overall Tavo would have worked better as a figure we only see/hear in his propaganda videos and from descriptions by other characters.

In other news, RIP Burk. Died not wanting to shoot a kid was definitely a death I didn't see coming.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You knew they were probably going to sink the James but god drat that hit home. I realized that I cared more about the James than I ever have about any ship named Enterprise.

This episode was pretty perfect, they knew exactly what the audience wanted and delivered. Navy ship battle action, fun little firefight scenes with a dude getting run over by a slow moving tank, Tavo getting no respect, and most important Wolf kicking dudes rear end with his sweet 90s style karate moves.

edit: Cool interview with the showrunner. TL:DR, the d-day battle came as a result of the Marines wanting to also be in the show and the landing stuff was from a live training exercise they did.
Also confirms that Wolf lives.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 13, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

This mistake with shooting Wolf is that only makes him fight harder.

Given what he did to that last guy, I'd say stabbing him is worse.

I never popped for the torpedo launches but those beautiful missile launches...

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

My favorite nod was the abandon ship nod from Slattery and Chandler to Green at the end. I guess it was kind of sexist that she'd look to male authority instead of just make the call herself but I like that she got their approval as the former captains; it was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Octy posted:

See, I read it as them being admirals and therefore outranking her, not because they're men or the former captains of Nathan James.

I'm sure some military person could correct me, but I don't think admirals take direct command of ships like that, the captain would still have say over how the ship is run, so I'm seeing her look at them as a her appealing to her mentors less than her looking up the chain of command.

The admirals would have command over the Fleet but her duty is to the ship and she wouldn't need their permission to issue an abandon ship order.

• Locked thread