Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

I have no experience with the MMR vaccine turning me into loving Magneto, sadly

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Yeah, that's a pretty good joke actually.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I’m a high functioning autistic person who started exhibiting symptoms before she was vaccinated (and have a mother who started exhibiting symptoms before some of those vaccines even existed) If it helps, the next time I start laughing at idiots who use horribly unscientific methods to reverse engineer a reason that my brain exists in a state that promotes an a high understanding of the scientific thought process, I can include your SIL, OP.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tremendous!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I Said No posted:

sneeze on her kids

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe she thinks what happens in this horrible meme is what happens for real.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I always loving knew Wmmr was a problem.
What with the tattoos every tuesday

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
no, no i said ARTY-vaxxer. i wanted a dyson not a dead son

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Halser posted:

I have no experience with the MMR vaccine turning me into loving Magneto, sadly

I’d be vaccinating the poo poo out of myself everyday if there was even a chance I’d get magneto powers.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

I want to believe this is fake. With all my heart, I want this to be fake.

But I know it's probably real :(

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
My favorite thing about the vaccine debate, is just how old it is. Benjamin Franklin even wrote a piece in favor for vaccines after his grandson died after his wife refused to have the child vaccinated.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

My favorite thing about the vaccine debate, is just how old it is. Benjamin Franklin even wrote a piece in favor for vaccines after his grandson died after his wife refused to have the child vaccinated.

never says a word to her face but brutally trashes her over the course of a 3 week serialised takedown in ye olde washington post

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

lol but seriously I posted:

never says a word to her face but brutally trashes her over the course of a 3 week serialised takedown in ye olde washington post

Just like OP and his sister in law

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

Just like OP and his sister in law

I also have gout and self-publish my own almanac.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Early to bed and early to rise, said the famously late-rising, hard-partier that became an ambassador so he could forge a foreign alliance while banging French women 24/7.

And he invented electricity and glasses when he got too tired to gently caress which history tells us was only twice

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just a reminder that Doctors, Scientists, and loved ones telling anti-vaxxers facts and stats doesn't change minds. The more proof you sling their way, the more their irrational belief is cemented, the more their misguided conclusions are vindicated. Even the most unimaginable tragedy (losing a child to a disease they were not vaccinated for) isn't a guarantee that they will change their minds.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

have you considered holding your sister in law upside down by her ankles and shaking the stupid out of her

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

My wife is taking pro, idiot christian sister in law who's stupid taking con. Me: listening to the argument go round and round in circles forever.

gently caress anti vaxxers they are retards.

drat, never figured you for a married man Applewhite.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Salty Josh posted:

drat, never figured you for a married man Applewhite.

Who do you think modeled for Space rear end?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Who do you think modeled for Space rear end?

never figured you for a currently married man then.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Applewhite's wife has a nice butt

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

reignofevil posted:

You need to let a little anti vax into your life so that when you encounter a full blown case your system can recognize it and react with the proper antibodies

lolling irl

sorry about your idiot family, buddy.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Julius CSAR posted:

I want to believe this is fake. With all my heart, I want this to be fake.

But I know it's probably real :(

I'm pretty sure it's someone trolling but, lol, a morbidly obese reality TV star rapist conman is president who who knows what the gently caress is satire or not anymore?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

Just a reminder that Doctors, Scientists, and loved ones telling anti-vaxxers facts and stats doesn't change minds. The more proof you sling their way, the more their irrational belief is cemented, the more their misguided conclusions are vindicated. Even the most unimaginable tragedy (losing a child to a disease they were not vaccinated for) isn't a guarantee that they will change their minds.

there is some hope as it turns out the last several decades of psychological research is all just made up lies so maybe this is a case where two wrongs might make it right?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

lol but seriously I posted:

there is some hope as it turns out the last several decades of psychological research is all just made up lies so maybe this is a case where two wrongs might make it right?

It's all an elaborate Bluth-esque lesson to teach the American people about the importance of education.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
When this happens to me I ignore it because I have heard immunity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Elman posted:

Just to be clear you actually are immune, assuming the vaccine works, right? It's just that they don't work in 100% of all people, and also some people can't be vaccinated for various reasons, so ideally you want herd immunity to be high in order to protect them.

Nah it's like percentage chances on top of percentage chances.

A vaccine gives you antibodies that recognize the disease pathogen, which means your immune system will react to it before it establishes itself and starts replicating faster than you can keep up. But maybe your immune system is trashed when you get exposed to it, or you've just been sick with something else, or you got exposed to an unusually large load of viruses because your coworker can in sick with measles and you spent an entire day sharing a cubicle with them coughing on you. Immune systems aren't perfect.

Rather than thinking of vaccines as 100% immunity, think of them as giving you a huge head start in a race against the disease making you sick. There's always the chance for some tortoise and hare type poo poo to go wrong. So even if you are vaccinated and it worked, you should prefer not to be exposed to measles by some idiot anti-vaxxer.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Applewhite posted:

I also have gout and self-publish my own almanac.

id read that

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

Blistex posted:

if you are genuinely interesting in changing such a persons mind, you have to identifiy the secondary and tertiary beliefs that support the dangerous but well-guarded belief. you can often engage these and make progress which opens up the possibility for later more substantial progress.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ocean Book posted:

if you are genuinely interesting in changing such a persons mind, you have to identifiy the secondary and tertiary beliefs that support the dangerous but well-guarded belief. you can often engage these and make progress which opens up the possibility for later more substantial progress.

Are there any stats of that sort of success? Those people are very hard to sway.

There was a program I saw on TV one time where they took 10 anti-vaxxers and took them to visit people who had been exposed to different diseases and had not been immunized. One lady was in an iron lung, another guy was sterile and his face looked worse than the moon from measles, another mother lost a child recently because she didn't get it vaccinated, etc. They took these 10 people through the whole process.

1. Here is what vaccines do.
2. Here is where the vaccines=autism BS started, and how it was discredited instantly. Here is the guy's ulterior motives.
3. Here are the most famous anti-vaxxers, here are how they became famous, here is the amount of schooling they have done.
4. Here is what happens when you don't get your kids vaccinated (horrorshow of victims and grieving mothers)
5. Here are some really eloquent and relate-able doctors explaining "mercury" and "herd immunity" etc in really easy to understand terms.
6. Here are some ex-anti-vaxxers and they are explaining how and why they were idiots, and how and why they no longer are.
7. Here is a loving picture-chart explaining how anti-vaxxer advocates directly make money from their misinformation.
8. Here is a fuckton of statistical data from 50 different countries about vaccinating, autism, and how there is no relation.
9. Here is a doctor who makes a fixed salary, a doctor in a communist country, a doctor in a private clinic, and a doctor in a 3rd world hut saying the same thing (get vaccinated).
10. Here is a time-lapse clip of a vaccinated dog and one that wasn't, being exposed to a virus back in the 1960's. (not an easy watch)

At the end of the program nobody changed their minds, and most felt even more confident they were doing the right thing.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

thats all stuff directly attacking the well-defended belief. I mean something thats really ancillary to the primary belief, like a conversation about epistemology. when the underlying beliefs that are taken for granted are shaken or removed, theres less structural support for the well-defended belief.

theres no immediate results or guarantee of eventual results, its just about making the situation into a non-zero chance of success.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Ocean Book posted:

thats all stuff directly attacking the well-defended belief. I mean something thats really ancillary to the primary belief, like a conversation about epistemology. when the underlying beliefs that are taken for granted are shaken or removed, theres less structural support for the well-defended belief.

theres no immediate results or guarantee of eventual results, its just about making the situation into a non-zero chance of success.

Although not rooted in quite the same way as anti-vaccine ideology, this is also just about the only strategy that seems to work with climate change denial. When you're dealing with "top-down" ideological memes and the "belief systems" (or rather, collection of poo poo people habitually say in response to certain prompts), you have to approach it laterally. So when talking with, say, rural people in the U.S., who are disproportionately affected by climate change but more likely to have a dubious view of "Climate Change," I talk about "changes in weather patterns over time ( or "climate," lol)," "serious rainfall events," "changes in hail damage," "drought impacts," and so on. With anti-vaccine people, though, I have a hard time seeing what the structural supports are. Something like all doctors are bad/money grubbing? Nature is clean/harmless and science is dirty/dangerous? Secret knowledge is more valuable that generally accepted knowledge?

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Blistex posted:

Are there any stats of that sort of success? Those people are very hard to sway.

There was a program I saw on TV one time where they took 10 anti-vaxxers and took them to visit people who had been exposed to different diseases and had not been immunized. One lady was in an iron lung, another guy was sterile and his face looked worse than the moon from measles, another mother lost a child recently because she didn't get it vaccinated, etc. They took these 10 people through the whole process.

1. Here is what vaccines do.
2. Here is where the vaccines=autism BS started, and how it was discredited instantly. Here is the guy's ulterior motives.
3. Here are the most famous anti-vaxxers, here are how they became famous, here is the amount of schooling they have done.
4. Here is what happens when you don't get your kids vaccinated (horrorshow of victims and grieving mothers)
5. Here are some really eloquent and relate-able doctors explaining "mercury" and "herd immunity" etc in really easy to understand terms.
6. Here are some ex-anti-vaxxers and they are explaining how and why they were idiots, and how and why they no longer are.
7. Here is a loving picture-chart explaining how anti-vaxxer advocates directly make money from their misinformation.
8. Here is a fuckton of statistical data from 50 different countries about vaccinating, autism, and how there is no relation.
9. Here is a doctor who makes a fixed salary, a doctor in a communist country, a doctor in a private clinic, and a doctor in a 3rd world hut saying the same thing (get vaccinated).
10. Here is a time-lapse clip of a vaccinated dog and one that wasn't, being exposed to a virus back in the 1960's. (not an easy watch)

At the end of the program nobody changed their minds, and most felt even more confident they were doing the right thing.

Imagine a religion that is anti-vax X1000.
That is Christian Science.

Spouses and children, parents, whatever, all dying in pain of an easily cured illness and yet....

"There is no Life, Truth, intelligence, or substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and it's infinite manifestation for God is all."
^ Mary Baker Eddy, founder of C.S.

That is what they will pray^^^^

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In more simple terms; you have to unfuck their entire brain first and see what issue is preventing them from thinking rationally.

During that whole 10 steps those dildos were probably thinking "the lies of big pharma run deep."

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I read up on it some because I have close family in the cult. The only thing that frees someone from that kind of brainwashing is usually death of a child, and it is still iffy then.
The amount of mental impairment was compared to having been a child soldier.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
have sex with her

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

There’s a pretty good thread in CSPAM about fascist belief structures that I feel very much mirrors the anti-vac crowd

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
vaccinate DEEZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Chinatown posted:

vaccinate DEEZ