Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I will play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Confirming.

I dont know much about pokemon so my shitposting today will be pretty bad.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

This would have been a fun game to do my Scorpion game, oh well!

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

b-minus1 posted:

This is a role madness game.
6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want. However, scum are backed by elaborate fakeclaims. Additionally whilst I try to retain flavour justification for many abilities, they will not always match expectations.

Let's not over-complicate things. we're playing a pokemon-themed mafia game. I imagine that we all have been assigned a pokemon as flavor, and each role's name/action likely matches that pokemon's name/type/power/etc. Or maybe not. Either way, this is not a productive conversation to have IMHO

Its my understanding that there are only a very few different pokemon so it should be easy to track down the fakeclaims :lumpen:

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

imgay posted:

who the gently caress messed with my avatar

Is that megaman in there?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Sorry for my lack of participation, I've had a special schedule at work this week due to some out-of-town team members being in the office this week. I've barely skimmed the game at all, but I'll have plenty of time this weekend to catch up and try and share as many reads as I can form.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Dancer holds a lurker gun, aimed at Slamburger.

Don't shoot me please Dancer

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I just finished re-reading the thread from the start. My scum reads are Solus, DB, Humalong, and Toalpaz. And definitely IS for the caught poisoner claim, who I will be voting for today unless something else major happens ##vote IcePhoenix

I'll put together some cases on those five to share my knowledge and make a contribution.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Also ##evolve Sal for catching IS

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Slamburger posted:

And definitely IS for the caught poisoner claim

Slamburger posted:

Also ##evolve Sal for catching IS

Mafia edit: should be obvious but I meant to say IP, not IllegallySober / IS

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Case on Solus:

The read/defense of GGN seems awkward and weird:

These are all partial quotes, so read the originals for more context:

SolusLunes posted:

I don't really have much of a read on GGN but holy crap you're coming across so hard as scum.

SolusLunes posted:

Okay yeah looking at GGN again I don't see anything particularly scummy.

SolusLunes posted:

I mean it's reasonable? But it's mostly been one way from Toal to GGN. I'd be more inclined to think that if they're both scum, this is just an awful bus attempt from Toal.

SolusLunes posted:

Man, I don't know. Also I very clearly stated that I didn't think GGN was scum, and I don't care if someone picks someone else.
I'll be here until deadline and I'm okay with lynching someone. I don't think voting increases the possibilities of a no-lynch? If it comes down to needing me to hammer GGN, I'll totally do it. I just don't see it happening this day.

This just doesn't feel like a natural town-mindset progression of a read.

Solus barely mentions anyone except Toal and GGN, then just mentions this right after deadline:

SolusLunes posted:

Oh wow I totally missed the last page where we ran a train on DB

My read here is that Solus is purposely providing limited information and few reads. The reads that are provided don't feel natural. Scummy.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Case on DB:

His first reads:

Dick Bastardly posted:

I'm feelin Toal for the overall wierdness.

Dancer town probs, imgay probs town

bminus is giving me slight scum vibes for the no-lunch comment

GGN is seeming more like newb town now
AA probs town

A bunch of mostly town reads with two really light scum reads. Don't like them.

He never really provides any followup on the Toalpaz read, but then votes then, then unvotes soon after with again no detail:

Dick Bastardly posted:

##vote Toalpaz

i think this is a good lunch

Dick Bastardly posted:

you know what? im an idiot

##unvote

Then he claims bomb with 5 min to spare. All else equal claiming bomb seems more likely a scum move than a town move. I've never had a bomb role but I don't know if I would even claim it as town and just let it play out. I would absolutely claim it as scum though.

Then today he's fixated on the E+ thing, which I do agree is worth some consideration but he never once comments on IP, which seems like a much stronger night-action catch than E+s stuff.

And curiously he votes to evolve Sal:

That seems really suspect... why would you evolve Sal but not vote IP? Seems to me like he doesn't want to vote his scumbo yet. Dick, do you have a comment on this?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

to clarify, we can't rule out that IP's action wasn't messed with, so until IP comes in to have a word then I'll withhold my vote (but I would vote IP in absence of a solid defense)

I do believe Sal's soft claim and see no good reason not to evolve Sal.

IP has already made multiple posts on it, and its a really weak defense / scum mindset in my opinion:

IcePhoenix posted:

Denying visiting you doesn't help us move forward. Breaking holes in your claims without the need for others to claim does.

To me, the "correct" and towny way to deal with someone accusing you of visiting someone that died is not like this. Like, you have to believe that scum isn't going to just invent a result on you on Day 2. People are always suspicious of that gambit for some reason but its super rare in practice. You've gotta think its a townie whose result got messed with, so even if you don't want to claim you could say something like "I didn't visit AA" or "Yes, I visited AA but I don't have a killing role, so it must have been a Ninja" or something. In a role madness game its not revealing much to say something like this when you've just been accused of a killing action. IcePhoenix has not handled his defense in a towny way at all. IP is caught scum.

DB did you not read his posts? Saying "so until IP comes in to have a word" doesn't make any sense to me. Why don't you comment on what he actually said?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Case on Humalong:

He posts a whole lot of game commentary and very few actual reads.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Now that jokephase is winding down I’ll keep an eye out, though. Last time I let someone skate for joking about their role/alignment during jokephase they turned out to be lurking scum filth that killed me n2.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Don't help their case then. There's some info in the last 200 or so posts, I promise. You could find a lead! If you think GGN is town, then take a look at who is pushing her and see if they've said anything that pings your radar. That's what I'm about to do.

Mr. Humalong posted:

No I mean like give some reasons. Your post looks like a policy vote someone would make an hour after the game started. I just reread DB about 30 minutes ago and some of it looked scummy but I always think DB is scummy so I'm inclined to stay neutral right now. His vote on GGN is bad but it was the second vote and he at least gave a reason for it beyond "gut read". I'll give him an iota of credit for that.

His primary vote is for IS but he provides like a bare minimum of reasoning and then has these weird commentary posts about his vote that don't make sense to me. About how he regrets it and has egg on his face. Like maybe I'm just missing some context but these seem super awkward and weird to me, and I've read them in their context in the thread and I don't get it.

The whole thing reads like someone who is self-conscious about their votes, and isn't engaging with the person they are voting in any natural way.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I'm going to bed soon, so I'll post some thoughts on Toal and IP tomorrow. I don't have too much to add on Toal that hasn't already been brought up. The light-aligned thing might have been a slip, but maybe not. IP is just caught scum so there's not any casing needed but I do want to re-read him more thoroughly with an eye for connections.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Describe your Pokemon's appearance. Nothing that would give it away. On a scale of 1 to 10. How close in proximity would you say your move fits your flavor? Strongest town read.

This is not a helpful game. I don't know enough about Pokemon to appropriately scope an answer that doesn't give things away without being vague. I have two eyes! My move matches something that I found on a pokemon wiki for my guy, so I guess it fits? Town read seems redundant with evolve votes and not useful.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

imgay posted:

why do people make lists like this

Why are you shading the dead guys vote list? He posted it 45 min to deadline and its the people he would vote for / a scum list.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

No. Its wasted on me.

To move my evolve vote, I'm going to go out on a limb and ##evolve Epsilon

As unusual as some of the mechanics talk around "I didn't submit an action, also it failed" I'm willing to trust that he's being truthful rather than some really odd low-upside scum lying. Also this:

Epsilon Plus posted:

Toalpaz posted:

Hello fellow light aligned poke pals? You all eating your pokeblocks and getting pats?
light-aligned? what is this tomfoolery

This is a very towny callout. There was no sample role PM so scum can't really make this post. Only town would know that town-aligned is the ... town alignment.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Also, I really think db is lying about being a bomb and/or scumslipped due to the roleblock callout, which seemed to be on the nose for what happened. Here is the relevant sequence (emphasis mine):

Dick Bastardly posted:

Epsilon Plus posted:

jack fuckin poo poo my dude!

IllegallySober is right in that it could trigger trackers/watchers but honestly, if our mod is really hewing close to the theme, I wouldn't be surprised if it does absolutely fuckall. maybe I can be roleblocked?

did you get an "action failed" result?

Epsilon Plus posted:

Strangely, yes. What did you do?

Dick Bastardly posted:

The reason I asked that specific question was because you said you could have been roleblocked... so you implied making an action yet having denied it.

The key takeaway here is E+ mentioned "maybe I can be roleblocked" which is not at all the same as saying "maybe I was roleblocked". The fact that E+ probably was actually roleblocked, which he only reveals after DB presses him on it makes it really appear that DB knew about it. But DB claimed to be a bomb not a roleblocker. The alternative is that DB misread E+ and made an assumption that just happened to be correct. I'll believe the former before the latter.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Dancer posted:

Should it help clarify things: it was me who jailed E+ (when I Metronomed during the day).

Hmm, I guess I'm just confused about your claims at this point. I realize you're withholding info and thats fine, but so far I gather:

1. You metronomed E+ during the day, copying an ability from AA. That jailed E+ N1
2. You also have a N1 action which you claimed failed, because AA claimed he jailed you back.

How did you get AA's action, was it a N0 action?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

Why did you ignore my post explaining that 'light aligned' post? Why are you trying to clear E+''s name with such a weak argument.

I'm not ignoring your explanation. When I said "The light-aligned thing might have been a slip, but maybe not" the "maybe not" part is that you were actually joking. You just have to understand that while I do believe its more likely that you were actually joking and your explanation is honest there's also the possibility it was a post-hoc justification after getting called out.

As for clearing E+ on a weak argument I really don't think its weak. The post he made is just not a thing scum would post, even to hedge my previous statement a little and assume they have a fake PM in hand that includes town-aligned. Let me explain:

If a scum player sees you claim light-aligned, they are not going to think "hey maybe this guy is lying about their alignment". They are going to think you might be a 3rd party or non-town or something. Basically scum are always going to believe you even if they think you are claiming something other than the pure town alignment. Does that make sense? I strongly believe E+ would not have made that callout post if he was scum.

Calling someone out for not knowing the town aligned is only something a town player would post, thinking they may have caught scum faking their alignment.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Even that doesn't work for him since you would have seen the busdriver too since that usually counts as a visit

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I know its the weekend, but I'd like to hear from Humalong. How do you feel about E+ and the IP/Sal situation? Have any of your reads changed on GGN, Toal, IS? How do you feel about the failed DB lynch?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Dancer posted:

On a separate note, the evolve vote is currently like this:

I think you missed my evolve vote for E+.

Evolving AA is probably a waste, and Sal claims he can't evolve. I support E+ since if we believe he has a (currently) useless Splash, its clearly an ability meant to evolve and could likely be powerful. As previously stated I have a good town read on him and I'm not concerned about the issues people have around his claim today.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Humalong I think you've put forth some good analysis that I generally agree with, so you are lower on my suspicion list now.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

Isn't this a weird post? Doesn't it look like Slam is trying to give weak towny reads on E+?

Slam also calls DB out for being sus of E+ on a earlier post.

I personally think it's a strange connection. One day I hope I'll earn town's trust again.

How are you parsing "This is a very towny thing to do" as a "weak" towny read? I know you're new but I am just not following any of your arguments and I think you're scum.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Mr. Humalong posted:

I really feel like they're scum, though going off of their posts. Enough that I'll ##vote ASF for right now.

Would you rather lynch ASF over IP or is this a pressure vote?

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

My action succeeded. But it didn't have any tangible game effect or gain me any knowledge, so I won't be claiming anything further.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

imgay posted:

Hmm...I saw Dick bastardly go to sal last night, but isn't he just supposed to be a lynch bomb why would he visit someone hmm.... Hey wait sal said he was roleblocked.... hmmm

##vote Dick

Good enough for me

##vote Dick

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Toalpaz posted:

Let me guess, you're spreading gas on people cause you're an arsonist.

Nope, I do pro-town stuff at night. If you think I'm scum you should make a case on me and advance the game instead of just sniping.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

imgay if you caught DB I'll vote to evolve you tomorrow but I want to validate your catch first.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

cool, ##evolve imgay

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

bussing is a thing

Ok, let's play along with this game. So, the scum busdriver decided to bus you with the scum roleblocker two nights in a row.

For their town target, they chose to target a town player whose claimed ability provides no-utility / negative utility to town.

For their scum target, instead of choosing the killer and/or poisoner, they chose the roleblocker.

Dick, you better get to work finding the world's worst scum busdriver in order to clear your name and prove you've been set up. You should entice this person to hammer you today and then we'll salute your brave sacrifice when you blow them up.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Here's a summary of each player's cflaimed powder. Apologies if I've missed anything:

ASF - Claimed Hider
AA - Claimed Jailer. N1 -> Dancer, N2 -> Sober
AS - No Claim
Dancer- Metronome. N1 Jailed E+. N2 Hide?
DB - Claimed Bomb, No Action
E+ - Claimed Splash (Does Nothing)
GGN - Claimed 1 shot Vig. Used N2 -> ??, Failed, Gone.
Hal - Claimed Tracker: N1 Track DB to IS. N2 Track DB to Sal
imgay - Claimed Watcher: N1 -> ?? Failed, N2 Watched Sal, only DB Visits.
Humalong - No Claim
Sal - Claimed JOAT: N1 Watched AA: IP Visisted. N2 Doc Failed on ?? (RB)
Slamburger - No Claim
SolusLunes - Claimed 1shot BP
Toalpaz - No Claim

Dead/flipped:
b-minus Town Doctor
IcePhoenix Scum Poisoner

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Slamburger posted:

cflaimed powder

mafia edit: claimed power

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

GenericGirlName posted:

Claim time for me:

I am an evolvable Pokemon who's ability is a one shot vig. I used it last night and it failed. I have no more uses. I assume if I evolve I get more uses.

I won't reveal who I targeted until more people post. Also ugh sorry I basically didn't post D2, things got super hectic. But should calm back down as of right now.

Of all the claims, this one stands out as potentially scummy. Granted, it was a voluntary early day claim, but it was prior to the DB catch and people hadn't really claimed any results yet. In that light this could definitely be a scum move to lay down cover for a failed kill before someone swoops in and nails you for it.

Its the kind of claim that is adjacent to scum killer and can provide plausible deniability for future actions as well. Caught doing a kill on a subsequent night, "yeah I was targeted by an ability that evolved me and I was given an extra charge"

I want to be clear that this isn't a smoking gun or anything, but its definitely worth future consideration. Also, I don't see any reason for GGN not to claim the target at this point.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

:tinfoil:

I wonder if Hal is scum who is piling on his caught teammate. Scum definitely need a rolecop/tracker of some sort. His results could be real or just him knowing who DB targeted since it would be scum knowledge.

Then again, it was pretty clear he wanted to vote DB.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Hal, can you explain your rationale for targeting DB twice?

I get the first time that you caught him lying, and also visiting a person who claimed to have been blocked, so probable RB. Why track him again? Is it that useful to know who he roleblocked N2? As opposed to trying to track a killer or someone else?

Also, I just realized I left IllegallySober off my claim list. Once I got to IP who was dead I must have jumped ahead to imgay.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

We may want to discuss if we want to lurkerkill GGN and ASF before hammering. I'm busy at work at the moment but can re-read and maybe post some thoughts a little later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

I'm (probably) responsible for Toalpaz's death, and if it was me, Toalpaz was scum, or at least a killer of some sort.

I have the ability Dancer alluded to yesterday, Powder. If the player I target tries to kill someone, they die. I targeted Toalpaz.

Other info from my previous nights:

N1 SolusLunes. Succeeded but nothing happened so Solus didn't kill anyone N1
N2 DickB

• Locked thread