Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
In the spirit of zaurg and slow motion, here's another thread where I lay out my situation and then fail to take the advice within.

History:

I've been awful with spending and credit card debt since I was 18. My parents were awful with debt raising myself and my brother on what really was one mediocre income, eventually resulting in such gems as a 2005 foreclosure on the 840 sq ft rancher I grew up in and at one time a 27% APR note on a Suzuki Forenza.

From 2009 through 2016 I worked at a job where my wage went from $10/hour ultimately to $16.89/hour, buying an $89k house in 2012 that I had no intention of trying to afford on my own, which is the spot I was in when my ex-fiance left in 2014.

Combine an upbringing where I observed awful financial traits learning no restraint, a few years in a house that was consuming half of my income, depression which I repeatedly try to cure with retail therapy, and awful habits of bouncing from one expensive hobby to the next, I've more or less lived on borrowed money.

Advice:

"You need a budget!" And I think I have one!

For the past couple years I've been tracking my debts through Google sheets. This is a quick run down of what I'm looking at:

HOUSE = balance of my mortgage, my 78% rate to where the PMI drops off
CAP = now carries no balance month to month. Used for all of my automated bills ()
M1st = originally was a balance transfer card. Well, it's stayed nearly maxed out since then. Hoping that by December/January that I can roll this balance onto my big balance card and keep it at 0.
WF = normally carries no balance. Used as my vacation/trip card, where my girlfriend and I are budgeting money to be saved for small trips, which then pay off this balance.
DISC = currently at 7% until 2/20 as a balance transfer, is budgeted to be paid off by 12/19
AMAZ = Amazon. If my lifetime card rewards were used to buy Amazon stock rather than cash back I'd be rich. Trying hard to keep this one low.
BB-E = Best Buy card, not used anymore as it was for 0% appliances to replace a busted dryer.
SHEETZ = Gas station card, used for gas discounts and everyday bullshit buys.
PAYPAL = Paypal card, current balance is 0%, budgeted to be paid off before the 0% expiration and not to be used again anytime soon.
NEWEGG = Same as the Paypal card above. Budgeted this to be paid off by July before the 0% expires.
PSECU = the big rear end balance transfer card. 2.9% through the end of 2019. 9.9% thereafter on remaining balance.
CAR = ~4% APR car loan

So now for the income, using October as an example:

My take home is about $740 a week, leaving with this currently:

$5 weekly into both a vacation savings and a house/car savings
$25 monthly into a watch savings
$50 monthly into a 2% savings that ideally I want to have turn into a 3-6 month emergency fund
$350 to the CAP card to cover the monthly bills
$300 to SHEETZ to cover daily poo poo (which I'm spending beyond that)
$~325 to DISC to lower the balance by $300/month
$~150 to M1st with the goal of lowering that balance by $100/month, eventually rolling it into the big card below
$~120 to electric and gas bills which I pay cash to avoid convenience fees
$~100 to PAYPAL to pay that off by 0% expiration
$600 to PSECU
$~75 to AMAZON to have something in the budget to cover small buys
$700 mortgage
$50 to the "high yield" savings
There's also the $150 car payment for October which I'm paying with the last pay in September not shown in there

Conclusion:

Good: I like my budget. It's an utterly absurd $40,000 of poo poo, but I finally feel like with my current pay and current budget I can be free of it by mid-2021. I'm looking to move in my girlfriend sometime this winter/early 2019 which will be a help on split living expenses. The 0% balances I have are set to be paid before the 0% expires. Since moving my balances to the big PSECU card, I've maintained some level of discipline by keeping CAP exclusively to the monthly recurring bills, WF to exclusively our weekend getaways (which is budgeted for using the months where there are 5 Fridays), kept Amazon low, and the BB cleared. Car is reliable with low miles and is exceedingly economical. With the use of balance transfers, in the past 2-3 months I've gone from $~500 a month in interest charges down to around $150. I have a $2500 raise scheduled for December and an unknown annual raise set for June. I have budgeted small dollar amounts to savings accounts to give myself a sense of mental security.

Bad: I say that I have things under control. If you would have asked me a year ago, I would have said the same. If you would have asked me two years ago, I would have said it again. It's $40,000 of loving credit cards. I'm only putting $20 a week into my 401k and my employer is only tossing on an extra $5 to that. I've never had a savings account that's had four figures in it for more than the time it takes me to transfer my pay to the checking account. The dollar figure I owe in total just keeps rising. I've had nearly non-existent self-control with buying things over the years - PC parts, A/V, watches, clothes, whatever; there's always been some dumb reason I come up with as to how I can justify it and how I can manage to squeeze another $50 from somewhere in the budget to cover the payment on another credit card.

I want to be done with it. I hope I'm finally on the path to do. I got the monthly interest charges cut by more than two-thirds. I've got a budget that, barring a catastrophic event or another relapse into spending sprees, could get me under the $20k mark by the start of 2020.

But I've said I've had it under control before. I've convinced myself I've been on the path to financial freedom. And the numbers show it's just become worse as time rolls along.

Ask me questions, poke holes in my budget, help me to learn what I have got wrong so I can end this poo poo that has consumed my entire adult life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
How much of the $300 a month to Sheetz is gas? Because Sheetz is a terrible place to buy anything other than gas so I'm curious what "daily poo poo" means here.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
You make a net $36k a year after taxes (so like low 40's gross?) and owe $40K (including $10k on ultra high interest cards), own a house with barely positive equity, and have no savings, but also have bonus income + a shared household coming up next year and no student loans. You also want to be responsible going forward and are taking some steps in that direction.

My dude, please for the love of God just declare bankruptcy yesterday. You are the exact definition of the person that should do this. Don't do this balancing on a knife's edge while paying off 27% interest on cards that correctly tagged you as high risk for the next three years - take your get out of jail free card and then live smart from that point on.

The alternative is that you sit there taking baby steps for two years until oops the economy gets worse and you're back to square one with nothing built up for that.

Adar fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 11, 2018

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Am I reading correctly that you’re saving $20 a month for vacations, $20 a month for house/car savings and $25 a month to buy a watch/watches?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

How much of the $300 a month to Sheetz is gas? Because Sheetz is a terrible place to buy anything other than gas so I'm curious what "daily poo poo" means here.
It's a regular Visa that gets gas discounts. It's a catch for everything - groceries, any other food, etc.

Adar posted:

You make a net $36k a year after taxes (so like low 40's gross?) and owe $40K (including $10k on ultra high interest cards), own a house with barely positive equity, and have no savings, but also have bonus income + a shared household coming up next year and no student loans. You also want to be responsible going forward and are taking some steps in that direction.

My dude, please for the love of God just declare bankruptcy yesterday. You are the exact definition of the person that should do this. Don't do this balancing on a knife's edge while paying off 27% interest on cards that correctly tagged you as high risk for the next three years - take your get out of jail free card and then live smart from that point on.

The alternative is that you sit there taking baby steps for two years until oops the economy gets worse and you're back to square one with nothing built up for that.
52.5 gross, and the majority of that debt is on low interest accounts - 2.9% for the 26k, 7% for the 4700, and 10% for the other 4700 account. I was really hoping to avoid bankruptcy. Between student loans that went into default many many years ago, to a stolen identity leading to fraudulent accounts, to the previously 95% across the board card usage, I had worked my credit score from lol to nearly 700 FICO. Didn't want a bankruptcy tanking that and being a mark on there for years to come.

Josh Wow posted:

Am I reading correctly that you’re saving $20 a month for vacations, $20 a month for house/car savings and $25 a month to buy a watch/watches?
I don't have a response to that which would make it sound less absurd than it is.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
10% is not low interest!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Adar posted:

I think this is right, yeah. The thing is--someone who knows more about finance than I do should correct me if I'm wrong about this--but as I understand it, even if your current plan goes perfectly, 10 years from now your credit will be in about the same place as it will if you declare bankruptcy now and live smart thereafter.

I mean if you just can't stand the stigma of being ~bankrupt~ then OK. But you might want to just squeeze out a couple hundred bucks to talk to an expert, who I'm pretty sure will also recommend declaring bankruptcy and starting over. Because that last line of Adar's post is the really important one--your current situation is such that if you lose your job tomorrow, you'll be forced to declare bankruptcy whether you want to or not by Halloween. And in TYOOL 2018, sooner or later you are going to lose your job.

I know it sucks hard to hear it, but the most likely alternative to bankruptcy by far is that 2 years from now you lose your job to random corporate bullshit and then are bankrupt anyway and 2 years behind on rebuilding.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 11, 2018

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

I was really hoping to avoid bankruptcy. Between student loans that went into default many many years ago, to a stolen identity leading to fraudulent accounts, to the previously 95% across the board card usage, I had worked my credit score from lol to nearly 700 FICO. Didn't want a bankruptcy tanking that and being a mark on there for years to come.

At the moment, you're thinking about spending the next three years on a tightrope without a safety net in order to pay ~$70,000 to strangers so that a number goes up. This number will, one day in the distant future, let you take on more debt at a lower interest rate if you really want to walk on a tightrope again afterwards. The other thing the number does is lets you own a house, but you already have one so that doesn't apply.

There are no reasons for you to pay this off. None. The only bad financial decision on the table for you today is paying any of it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

I don't have a response to that which would make it sound less absurd than it is.

You can't afford a watch that needs to be saved for. Period. If you need a timekeeper, pick up a $20 Casio or something. Put the balance of your watch savings into your emergency fund.

See if you can do this or if your first response will be some kind of justification why we're wrong.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

10% is not low interest!

It will be!

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I feel like this whole post is a troll built around "$25 monthly into a watch savings".

If you don't want to declare bankruptcy all you can do is reduce expenses, increase income, and snowball the debt. You should get rid of cable, your NYT subscription, get a cheaper prepaid cell phone plan, whatever the $10 google expense is, your watch fund (??), stop buying poo poo at the gas station, get your GF to move in and pay some kind of rent and look for ways to make extra money whenever possible, including selling off stuff you don't really need.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

do you own watches because i suggest you sell some

sell some other poo poo too

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Adar posted:

At the moment, you're thinking about spending the next three years on a tightrope without a safety net in order to pay ~$70,000 to strangers so that a number goes up. This number will, one day in the distant future, let you take on more debt at a lower interest rate if you really want to walk on a tightrope again afterwards. The other thing the number does is lets you own a house, but you already have one so that doesn't apply.

There are no reasons for you to pay this off. None. The only bad financial decision on the table for you today is paying any of it.

You make a good case. I didn't really consider it being that much of a tightrope as now it's like "oh there's freed up credit limits if poo poo hits the fan"

Weatherman posted:

You can't afford a watch that needs to be saved for. Period. If you need a timekeeper, pick up a $20 Casio or something. Put the balance of your watch savings into your emergency fund.

See if you can do this or if your first response will be some kind of justification why we're wrong.

Yeah I guess that was one of those things where I told myself it was the right way to do it, when I should not have done so at all. Applied those funds to the car loan.

Droo posted:

I feel like this whole post is a troll built around "$25 monthly into a watch savings".

If you don't want to declare bankruptcy all you can do is reduce expenses, increase income, and snowball the debt. You should get rid of cable, your NYT subscription, get a cheaper prepaid cell phone plan, whatever the $10 google expense is, your watch fund (??), stop buying poo poo at the gas station, get your GF to move in and pay some kind of rent and look for ways to make extra money whenever possible, including selling off stuff you don't really need.

That's what I'm trying to do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you own watches because i suggest you sell some

sell some other poo poo too

oh boy do I ever

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On one hand (heh) I can see the point of putting some small amount into a budget for something you have a habit of overspending on so you don’t go cold turkey and break down with a huge spending spree.

On the other hand when it comes to watches I think $25 is pretty much nothing so it probably wouldn’t actually make a difference.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i suggest you move to an envelope system or other entirely cash based system where everything is preallocated in part because this:

metallicaeg posted:

I didn't really consider it being that much of a tightrope as now it's like "oh there's freed up credit limits if poo poo hits the fan"

indicates a really, really unhealthy relationship with money and credit

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

On one hand (heh) I can see the point of putting some small amount into a budget for something you have a habit of overspending on so you don’t go cold turkey and break down with a huge spending spree.

On the other hand when it comes to watches I think $25 is pretty much nothing so it probably wouldn’t actually make a difference.

Both good points, and the first is what my mindset was when I thought of it a couple months ago. Ultimately it is pretty much nothing so I'm not going to proceed with it further.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i suggest you move to an envelope system or other entirely cash based system where everything is preallocated in part because this:

indicates a really, really unhealthy relationship with money and credit

Yeah, living off of cash is completely foreign to me. I don't believe I've done so in at least 10 years.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

Yeah, living off of cash is completely foreign to me. I don't believe I've done so in at least 10 years.

All the better to declare bankruptcy and start now. It might even help you habits-wise.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

Both good points, and the first is what my mindset was when I thought of it a couple months ago. Ultimately it is pretty much nothing so I'm not going to proceed with it further.

A good start would be to close those credit cards as you pay them off, starting with the Best Buy one. You are not getting as much in rewards as you are paying in interest charges, etc., so there's no reason for you to have more than one card.

Also yeah I think we're going to need some more information on your watch collection. Sounds like there is some cash there you could be using to pay down your debts!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
If bankruptcy isn’t palatable, start selling poo poo. You are in a looooot of debt and you don’t make nearly enough money. You need to panic! (And then take immediate, constructive action!) Get a second job or freelance online or something. You need an emergency fund yesterday and simultaneously can’t afford to start putting money into one.

Do you need cable? At $135 a month? AND Netflix? Hulu live is $40 and gives you most cable channels.

Cancel cable, cancel “watch savings”, cancel spending money on food at sheetz. These are the easy steps! You can get out but it’s going to take a lot of work.

(also, moving in with your girlfriend... is there a wedding you’re going to be paying for in the near future?)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Similarly, not sure paying for Google (That's the Youtube/Play Music sub right?) and NYT makes sense when you're that much in debt. And $70/month seems high for a cell phone bill, surely you could go with an MVNO like Cricket or something for less.

And yes, I'm pretty sure in your situation I'd go for bankruptcy. The credit score hit would be annoying but materially you'd be in a much better spot.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Let's be really clear here: selling things works if you are zaurg-type bad at math and want to shave a couple of months off a 3 year live off ramen repayment plan by giving up any and all assets that would help you out if you still had to file for bankruptcy several years later once that plan failed.

Selling stuff is a great idea if you declare bankruptcy as you're supposed to and then get laid off, because without credit for the first year or two those things are your emergency fund. What goons are telling you to do now is to start the tightrope walking act between two skyscrapers right after setting fire to the building you're starting from.

Anything except filing right now, today, is an awful idea. If you get through 2021 with a clear slate it will be because the economy doesn't turn bad and absolutely nothing even a little unexpected happens to you i.e. blind luck.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm lost on why bankruptcy is out of question. Because you want to have a good credit score so you can get.... more or better credit?

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

metallicaeg posted:

It's a regular Visa that gets gas discounts. It's a catch for everything - groceries, any other food, etc.
52.5 gross, and the majority of that debt is on low interest accounts - 2.9% for the 26k, 7% for the 4700, and 10% for the other 4700 account. I was really hoping to avoid bankruptcy. Between student loans that went into default many many years ago, to a stolen identity leading to fraudulent accounts, to the previously 95% across the board card usage, I had worked my credit score from lol to nearly 700 FICO. Didn't want a bankruptcy tanking that and being a mark on there for years to come.

Why does your credit score matter? What do you plan to use a high credit score for? The reality is that you can come out the end of bankruptcy and still have a 700 credit score. It really depends on what history and current accounts survives the BK. If you already have a solid history of closed accts that were in good standing, that will still port over since those won't be discharged. If you keep any loans open then those will also appear. But the thing you really need to ask yourself is what do you need credit for within the next few years where the credit score really matters. The big risk of using BK is that if you haven't solved the root cause of why you are in your current situation, then you will be back here in a few years. If you truly have worked on things and can live within your means but the debt servicing is too much, then BK will be a life saver.

Also keep in mind if you're worried about obtaining lines of credit that it is still possible post BK. The big question would be the interest rate charged; which you're already getting reamed on.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest you get rid of these. Sorry watchbro :(

e: that's like $3000 of fancy japanese watches holy geez

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 22, 2018

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest you get rid of these. Sorry watchbro :(

e: that's like $3000 of fancy japanese watches holy geez

Lol, the omeprazole is a brilliant touch.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Thanks all for the input.

I'm still mulling over bankruptcy, and I think my biggest obstacle to that is the car loan. I've read from a few bankruptcy lawyers online that credit unions typically close all accounts upon notice of a bankruptcy, and not only is the car loan through a credit union, it's through one where I also have that $27k card balance. So if I went down that route I'm assuming I'd have to find a way to pay that off to get the title clear first before filing.

Otherwise, my existing plan is a moratorium on frivolous spending which is already in place and learning to enjoy what I have now rather than seeking the need to get something new. Cutting back of garbage food spending for good would be my next big help in spending reduction.

My girl is a nurse and is financially independent and will be moving in soon which will be a big help to my bottom line. She's aware of my debt levels and the timeframe I'm looking at to be free and clear.

As to the watches, I have sold some here and there, but what I'm sitting on now falls under two categories - cheaper pieces I've had for a while that have very little value, and more expensive-but-not-luxury pieces which I certainly don't want to sell and would take 30-50% hit on what I paid for them. So not really looking to sell those further when it would amount to advancing the timeline by a measure of weeks at most.

The monthly bills have been cut back a bit to under $300 from around $325. Watch savings is on indefinite hold.

Targeting $36k by the end of the year, which would be a 10% reduction from this point, and should be possible with current budgeted payments on things and spending discipline. If I fail on doing that then I don't think I'd have any way out aside from bankruptcy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
So you don't want to file for bankruptcy because of online lawyer blogs, and you don't want to sell your watches because it'll only help a little bit and not a lot of bit, but you want us to know your progress including saving an extra 30 dollars a month.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

metallicaeg posted:

As to the watches, I have sold some here and there, but what I'm sitting on now falls under two categories - cheaper pieces I've had for a while that have very little value, and more expensive-but-not-luxury pieces which I certainly don't want to sell and would take 30-50% hit on what I paid for them. So not really looking to sell those further when it would amount to advancing the timeline by a measure of weeks at most.

The monthly bills have been cut back a bit to under $300 from around $325. Watch savings is on indefinite hold.

Replace “watches” with “shitcoins” and it’s like reading a Zaurg post.

You sound like Zaurg. Just let that sink in.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

metallicaeg posted:

Thanks all for the input.

I'm still mulling over bankruptcy, and I think my biggest obstacle to that is the car loan. I've read from a few bankruptcy lawyers online that credit unions typically close all accounts upon notice of a bankruptcy, and not only is the car loan through a credit union, it's through one where I also have that $27k card balance. So if I went down that route I'm assuming I'd have to find a way to pay that off to get the title clear first before filing.

Goon above says you have $3k in watches there, and owe ~$3.6k on your car loan. Done.

Also, try consulting a bankruptcy attorney instead of reading Bob Loblaw's Law Blog.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thread: have fewer watches
OP: no

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
*unwilling to sell watches at 30% loss*
*willing to pay interest on revolving credit debt*

I see

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Buy more watches dipshit

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

Just to discuss the part I know about because I've wasted plenty of money on watches: the money you've spent on them is gone. Watches hold their value a little better than some consumer goods but taking them out of the package probably knocks 20% off their effective value. But that's done, so pay attention to your current situation. Am I wrong to say that by selling that collection, you could still get like $2000? Given the cost of financing all your debt, it's crazy to ignore that.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Spend less on watches.

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.

Higgy posted:

You sound like Zaurg. Just let that sink in.

Ten years from now, in the fourth iteration of OP's thread:

metallicaeg, in ten years, having made no financial progress posted:

Krotera's post this morning got me motivated to sell my watches. I hopped out of bed, got coffee, went to the computer from around 6AM-8AM and sat here looking at my eBay account and couldn't pull the trigger. Hard to explain why. I'm stuck in shitwatch land.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

metallicaeg posted:

In the spirit of zaurg and slow motion, here's another thread where I lay out my situation and then fail to take the advice within...

...help me to learn what I have got wrong so I can end this poo poo that has consumed my entire adult life.

Sell the watches, pay off the car, declare BK to discharge poo poo debts, and start anew. With your possible upcoming raises and a clean slate you would probably succ...

quote:

I've got a budget that, barring a catastrophic event or another relapse into spending sprees

Well, maybe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i thought that since brother man talked about his watch habit so shamefully that they would at least be nice watches rather than a bunch of Citizens and Seikos

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i thought that since brother man talked about his watch habit so shamefully that they would at least be nice watches rather than a bunch of Citizens and Seikos

I was hoping to see at least a Grand Seiko.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

I was hoping to see at least a Grand Seiko.

Me too man. Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
None of those watches is something that is worth hanging on to instead of selling and being used to pay down debt. They're pretty pedestrian looking and you don't mention any sentimental value (like "my grandfather gave me his old watch before he died", not "I totally remember the day I bought this watch at the mall" value), so you should sell them for whatever you can get for them, service your debt, then buy good watches later when you can actually afford them.