Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

I don't have a response to that which would make it sound less absurd than it is.

You can't afford a watch that needs to be saved for. Period. If you need a timekeeper, pick up a $20 Casio or something. Put the balance of your watch savings into your emergency fund.

See if you can do this or if your first response will be some kind of justification why we're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

Both good points, and the first is what my mindset was when I thought of it a couple months ago. Ultimately it is pretty much nothing so I'm not going to proceed with it further.

Yeah, living off of cash is completely foreign to me. I don't believe I've done so in at least 10 years.

A good start would be to close those credit cards as you pay them off, starting with the Best Buy one. You are not getting as much in rewards as you are paying in interest charges, etc., so there's no reason for you to have more than one card.

Also yeah I think we're going to need some more information on your watch collection. Sounds like there is some cash there you could be using to pay down your debts!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
None of those watches is something that is worth hanging on to instead of selling and being used to pay down debt. They're pretty pedestrian looking and you don't mention any sentimental value (like "my grandfather gave me his old watch before he died", not "I totally remember the day I bought this watch at the mall" value), so you should sell them for whatever you can get for them, service your debt, then buy good watches later when you can actually afford them.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
How many watches did you sell this month, OP?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Power of Pecota posted:

Can someone linke the Murderknobs thread? Haven't heard of that one.

This is the third, final, and best one.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

In the spirit of zaurg and slow motion, here's another thread where I lay out my situation and then fail to take the advice within.

Ask me questions, poke holes in my budget, help me to learn what I have got wrong so I can end this poo poo that has consumed my entire adult life.

So should we assume that you've given up, OP, since you got given advice but it wasn't the advice you wanted and now you're going to ignore this thread and convince yourself that whatever scheme you've cooked up is the right one (like all your others before)?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

If by giving up you mean not having a fire sale on any and all assets that I have then yes, I'd be giving up.

That's not what I meant and you know it, but :downsbravo: on your effort to become the next zaurg I guess.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

But this past month has been good. I've been tempted on the usual items and I've said no and not given in.

I notice across all forms of media these days that people have turned the weasel up to 11, and are making sure to very carefully word their statements so that they can :airquote:truthfully:airquote: say the opposite of actual reality/their actions/their responsibility, so I'm reading the above sentence in the same way, and I have to ask: You were tempted on unusual items though, and spent money on them, didn't you?

metallicaeg posted:

I've had expenses that briefly put me just over $40k total like quite a large grocery run (which a fairly empty kitchen left me eating out and spending way more than I should have been)

And this is another example, in which one finds oneself a victim of circumstances and things would have come up Milhouse if only pesky other factors hadn't shoved themselves in the way!
You could have phrased it "a large grocery run, because I didn't take the time to plan some meals and put some stuff in the freezer", etc., but that would be admitting fault, so.

Sorry if this sounds harsh but that's what most BFC helpseekers do and the trajectory of this thread sucks so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

metallicaeg posted:

Haven't had the consultation yet, only requested one. I've got so many questions.

So do we, OP. So do we.