Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I was skeptical about the whole idea of this. But this looks... lovely.

It's still going to bother me that the original musical theme is missing, such a central element of the original.

I'm loving the casting of Tilda Swinton though. That's going to make this picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Plus: film looks gorgeous. Tilda Swinton could read the phone book and I’d buy streaming rights. The dance scenes, both instruction and the big performance, are riveting.

Minus (for me): Lack of anything comparable to replace Goblin/Suspiria theme music. The side plot involving the old doctor seemed extraneous/too much for me, I preferred where it was simply the story of Suzy and her Nancy Drew discovery of What Was Going On At The Ballet School. The Baader-Meinhof story running in parallel didn’t do it for me either. I didn’t like that they put the fact that it was a witch coven from the very beginning, along with the power struggle between Blanc and Markos. it removed that peeling away the layer of mystery aspect which I think is good even when you know what’s going on. Finale is too long and shows “too much leg” in my opinion. I didn’t care for the Jabba the Hutt design of Helena Markos.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

As I said in the Horror thread, Helen Markos had already attempted the body snatching ritual with the first girl and it didn't work, the witches mention this early on after the vote, not sure why it didn't work, either because Patricia wasn't a willing participant, or because it had been centuries since that spell had been used. Notice how she has extraneous body parts like the hands dangling off her biceps. The ritual failed in that she only partially merged with her instead of a full body takeover, and is probably why her death seemed imminent.

Sure, but all that nonwithstanding I thought the creature design was stupid looking, I didn't want to hear its voice, it was just plain bad IMO outside of any rationale about why it looked the way it did. It was not only bad but also bad in a very CGI looking way.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So was the seizure the Caroline suffered from a spell that was designed to extract her ability to jump and confer it upon Suzy?

Also what is your take on the relationship between Mme Blanc and Suzy? That she was in fact preparing her for sacrifice as was her duty but that she felt conflicted because she had genuine feelings of affection and love for her as a mentor?

Was the idea that Suzy's body would somehow become a vessel to receive Markos who would then live on in that body? Or something else?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I mostly agree with the above, although I do want to watch a whole film with Tilda Swinton teaching students the essence of dance, painting, auto maintenance, baking cupcakes or any other drat thing.