Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

font color sea posted:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/amazon-sued-suspiria-1202960972/

Well, uhm, that's something
So you can be sued for paying homage to something now

https://imgur.com/a/h1ULbR1 - for reference, similarities between art and movie

I mean in a visual medium, homage requires similarities not carbon copies - those look lofted wholesale. It's not reminiscent of the work, it copies it, which fits plagiarism more than homage and especially in a legal definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Now I'm even more confused, isn't that already part of fair use? Maybe I should stop asking questions and just read this poo poo.

Nah, copyrighted work applies copyright indiscriminately unless they apply exceptions - screening a film is still technically a breach unless there's a specific license, such as education copies etc. Fair use to my knowledge concerns some degree of transformative use, such as critique via narration (video essays, let's plays and the like).

What's been done here is more akin to finding a really good sentence in a book and using it without quotes while saying "hey this is a great source!" - with the double whammy of being used in a commercial product.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, who wrote the Suspiria monograph in the Devil's Advocates series, has some thoughts on the flick here: http://sensesofcinema.com/2018/feature-articles/three-mothers-redux-kathy-acker-pina-bausch-tilda-swinton-and-luca-guadagninos-suspiria/

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

mary had a little clam posted:

Is there a good reading on why Bader-Meinhoff was always going on in the background? I'm aware of the phenomenon (when you learn something new and suddenly see it everywhere) but it seemed like the filmmakers were using the event/group itself as a thematic reference. Any ideas?

It mirrors the doctor's discovery of the coven, after dismissing Patricia's diary and then investigating more it starts invading his life. Like when he leaves the Tanzakademie and sees one of the witches across the street transform into another woman.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
So, was the shambling corpse that chased Sara when she found Patricia definitely Olga? It looked like it was walking on legs without feet, but it could have just been the lighting. If so, there's a lot of focus on hands/feet that'd be an interesting angle to focus on.

Thinking about it, this is almost an (appropriately) mirrored version of Suspiria; instead of opening with a murder, it takes a third of the runtime. The mystery is presented up front. The beige brutalism playing against art deco. The ending. It's this slightly familiar but odd, distorted negative to the original, and it's better for it. The giallo diversions are fantastic though, although I'm middling on the dragging shutter effect, and I'd love a non-filtered version of the climax - it got a surprising MA15 rating here, when watching it I thought it easily would have nabbed an R18.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Things that I noticed on the second watch:

There's a prevalence of shots where the audiences' view of what characters are looking at are blocked, at least until Suspiriorum takes over.

Suzy says, "I want to be the hands of this company." The insistence of the camera focusing on hands (and to a lesser extent, feet) doesn't necessarily preconfigure this line, but there's a lot of attention on extremities.

Markos screams "It's not vanity, it's art" at Blanc the end, which kind of seems self-reflective especially given it's yelled by and at Tilda Swinton.

Something I didn't notice on the first watch was the spell that the coven puts on the dancers at the celebratory dinner; they're constantly touching the faces of the dancers to bewitch them. Makes the spring-y arm decoration that's so obvious in the establishing shot of the table a bit of foreshadowing. Similarly, the first scene at the diner of just the coven having dinner has a voice over conversation, and I completely missed on my first watch that the voice over was actually a telepathic conversation between them all.

Suzy becomes Suspiriorum at the end of Volk. She re-injures Sara so the ritual can take place, starts telepathically communicating with Blanc, and becomes instantly attuned to the coven's actions.

This movie rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

nemesis_hub posted:

Can you guys give me a general idea of how scary/gross this is? Roughly similar to the original or does it get more hardcore than that? My gf usually doesn’t like horror but will go with me to this if I promise not to traumatize her.

It's much more of a psychological horror than the Argento version, but what physical horror is there is pretty gnarly and it doesn't shy away from showing fluids etc flowing about. There's a lot less removed violence than the Argento version - less close ups and obvious changes to effectswork - even though there's probably less overall violent scenes, it's a lot more personal and confronting.