Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I'm a super fan of the original, and I just got back from seeing the remake. Pic related, it's me walking out of the theater when it was over.

I kinda feel like I'm in the same boat as a lot of reviewers that I've seen online; I think I loved it, but I can totally understand anyone who hated it. The whole thing just felt incredibly disorienting; the clips that got released online don't really do justice to how bizarre it all feels. Yeah, everything was desaturated, but just like the original, it all feels super artificial and alienating, in a good way. I didn't expect it to be as gorgeous as it was without the iconic colored lighting.

I definitely want to see it again while it's in theaters. It needs multiple viewings.

I almost wish they hadn't tried to market it as a horror movie like the original. It's not really. And it's not nearly as grotesque as they've been making it out to be. It's got horror elements and violence, for sure, but it felt much more like an absurdist dark fantasy.

I also ended up having a really strong emotional reaction to the last bit that I'm having trouble putting into words. It really wormed it's way into my psyche and touched a nerve in me that's been really having a hard time coping with our current political realities.

Anyways, super rambly thoughts after my first experience with it, but as of now, I'd say it's definitely apples and oranges with the original, and I think it's certainly better than the Three Mothers trilogy as a whole.

Edit - I'd also be super interested in hearing people's thoughts about the faculty member who's constantly dejected and crying. I kept waiting for an explicit reveal that she's the current embodiment of Mother Lachrymarum (the Mother of Tears), but then she just went and spontaneously offed herself..

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

zer0spunk posted:

I had no idea that was also Tilda until I got home and saw it mentioned. Cool I guess? I feel like she just played three fairly pointless characters in the grand scheme of the thing

Also, to this point - I'd read somewhere before I saw the movie that Tilda playing the psychologist, Madame Blanc, and Helena Markos was supposed to invoke the id, ego, and super ego, but I definitely need some more time to process that idea.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

- Susie's mother's death rattle and OG Helena Markos' snoring.
- Olga's phone call
- Caroline's collapse and nosebleed
- Sara unknowingly steps into an environmental hazard, becomes undead

Also -

Blast Fantasto posted:

- Three mothers (I forget, does the original actually name mother tenebrarum and mother lachrymarum, or does that not come up until Inferno?)

Yeah, the other Mothers aren't mentioned until Inferno

discoukulele fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 2, 2018

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Yeah, I really like all of those ideas, especially that she's either supernaturally empathic, or just guilt-ridden about how they've been exploiting/torturing the students.

As I've been thinking about the movie more, something that I absolutely love is how they made the distinction that Helena Markos isn't Mater Suspiriorum. It's super ambiguous in the originals, so it comes off like the Three Mothers are somehow simultaneously elder beings who are supposed to basically be the Three Fates, but they're also three real women who physically existed in the 19th century and could be forced to flee countries when people got uncomfortable. It makes much more sense to me that Helena Markos was just a follower of Suspiriorum.

The original draft of the script leaked, and something that I thought was kinda cool that didn't make the cut, or was maybe too subtle for me to realize was that during the final ritual, the three women who had been killed (Patricia, Olga, and Sara) are dressed up as the Three Mothers.

I think the other thing that still hasn't really clicked for me is what exactly happened to Caroline when she had her seizure?

I think i might try to see it again tomorrow. I definitely need to see it again on the big screen.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

the police officer scene caused about 7

haha, seriously? That was the moment where I started rooting for the coven.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
CAROLINE!
*turns and stares into the camera*

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Just got back in from seeing it a second time with my roommate. It made a lot more sense this time.

Also, this time around we both loved the fact that Susie just throws her poo poo on the ground on the way to the final ritual like she owns the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I forgot to mention, during my second watch, I realized that you can hear someone listening to Klaus Nomi's Total Eclipse of the Sun the first time we see the dorm hall and now I love this movie even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmLk2vSXXtk