Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Saw this yesterday and I keep thinking about it. It's like a more dour Neon Demon without the neon. I think it starts a little slow, but when Susie does her first dance as the Protagonist, it REALLY picks up into a what-the-gently caress-fest. The third act was b-a-n-a-n-a-s. I really loved it, but I can see how a lot of people will hate it.

I think the epilogue was (for me) unnecessary but I'm open to being convinced.

Is there a good reading on why Bader-Meinhoff was always going on in the background? I'm aware of the phenomenon (when you learn something new and suddenly see it everywhere) but it seemed like the filmmakers were using the event/group itself as a thematic reference. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Stuart Wellington (one of the hosts of the Flophouse) mentioned on Twitter that for him, it played into the themes of young versus old, since I guess the RAF was popular with young leftists and hated by olds in Germany at the time.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

sector_corrector posted:

This is loving stupid, and speaks to why these forums are so poo poo at discussing media, which is that they don't really understand how to talk about media beyond druthers and preferences, because the users are brain damaged dullards conditioned by Warhammer fiction.

Dullard here: how does discussing artistic/narrative choices and how they intersect with the films themes come across to you as "druthers and preferences"? Not only am I curious how the Bader-Meinhof gang informs the themes of Suspiria, I'm also curious at the filmmaker's deliberate choice to use drab colors (but interesting textures) in opposition to the original's garish colors. For me, it made me think about how buttoned-up subgroups deal with the crush of modern progress (or progression is maybe more accurate in the timeframe of the film). Obviously the film is about an ancient coven, but I think "ballet school" could also be considered an antiquated, repressed group along with Mennonites, etc. When colorless tradition (religion, etc) meets a brutalist future, what happens to that dangerous hot-blooded spark of youth? When the past is drab and the future looks drab, what is there left to do but wreck poo poo now (RAF, Head Exploding Death Avatar)?

Anyway when you get off probation, come back and discuss media in a better way with us, I want to git gud at media analysis.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

InfiniteZero posted:

The whole movie is about the transfer of power, and Baader-Meinhoff were trying to effect a transfer of power using fear, violence, and terrorism from within. The correlation (metaphor) is pretty straightforward from there. If anything, I don't think there's a whole lot to it. It works great, but it's not super complicated (not accusing anybody of being "dumb" or whatever if you don't get it either -- I just think it's a fairly simple metaphor so long as you understand the historical context).

I think it's as simple as the fact that he wanted a different aesthetic because there's no point in trying to be more Argento than Dario Argento. Also Luca Guadagnino loves Fassbinder movies and I think he was trying to consciously quote from them instead, because holy poo poo does this film ever look like a Fassbinder film. I think this is also probably why he got Ingrid Caven for the movie (she was one of Fassbinder's repertory players).

EDIT -- in case anybody doesn't know the film history tie-in to that either, Udo Kier was also in Fassbinder's film circle and appeared in many of his films. He was not able to appear in one of his films because he was shooting a scene for the original "Suspiria". Fassbinder told Kier he was an idiot for appearing in an Italian horror film.

I didn't know the historical context of either of your points so this was much appreciated!