Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Psion posted:

good news, they're not just keeping it they're expanding it. A lot.

:yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mokinokaro posted:

Also you didn't have to man the turrets. There were a few AI settings for them.
:monocle:

Psion posted:

I bet if I posted all 4 cockpits from Privateer and said 'guess what role this ship has' I bet most people could figure out which one is which out of shitbox, brawler, cargo hauler, fighter. I don't think most games could but Privateer could.

This is true. What is also true, though, is it's both realistically wrong and crappy gameplay-wise. It's a crobberts tradition to have huge struts and massive instrumentation cluttering up the screen. I can't remember if it was Privateer or WC3 that introduced the ability to turn off the cockpit for more visibility but once you did that you never went back. I just looked at all the other cockpits and while the Tarsus is still the worst they're all pretty bad. I'd normally say it was just a technical limitation so they didn't have to render more than a few sprites, but if you look at SC cockpits... yeah.

RGO is sort of aping that design. I hope the rest of the game is enough to change it from being annoying to being immersive. Or, possibly, later ships aren't as cramped as the ones shown so far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I like cool detailed cockpits and I Hope Outlaw comes to Oculus. Seems a perfect fit!

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

chaosapiant posted:

I like cool detailed cockpits and I Hope Outlaw comes to Oculus. Seems a perfect fit!
It won't. Travis talks about it in the podcast linked on page 2.
The short of it is that there's two reasons.
1) their camera angles and cockpit models aren't set up for it.
2) VR makes Travis, the guy who actually does all the coding, nauseous.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Groetgaffel posted:

It won't. Travis talks about it in the podcast linked on page 2.
The short of it is that there's two reasons.
1) their camera angles and cockpit models aren't set up for it.
2) VR makes Travis, the guy who actually does all the coding, nauseous.

drat. My dream of VR freelancer so near, yet so far. Elite will have to do. :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Or, possibly, later ships aren't as cramped as the ones shown so far.

Well the starting one is a literal garbage truck with some aftermarket mods so a lovely cramped cockpit feels par for the course.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wouldn't a super-high-performance fighter be even more cramped? No room for ergonomics, got to shave another 300g off the weight of the cockpit!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

You know how you could shave 20kg+ off the weight of the craft? Convert to something other than 19" CRT monitors just to show shields and your target. :v:

Elite, for all its faults at being a game, tends to have a decent balance between the cockpit letting you know what ship you're flying and actually being able to see the game.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mailer posted:

I can't remember if it was Privateer or WC3 that introduced the ability to turn off the cockpit for more visibility but once you did that you never went back. I just looked at all the other cockpits and while the Tarsus is still the worst they're all pretty bad.
:wrong:

Give me horribly obtrusive cockpits that cover half the screen over UI elements pasted over a cockpitless screen any day of the week

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Then you'll be excited to know crobberts still lives on! :crobear:

I mean I agree with the sentiment. I want a cockpit and will undergo long mission chains to get fuzzy dice and an 8-ball on the stick. I just don't think you need to obscure the entire game to show you're flying a ship or differentiate between ships by adding 17% more visible game. Then again RGO is totally moddable so hey, best of both worlds.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what was the name of that one space game where you have a cockpit but no windows, everythings just done through sensors submarine style?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Agean90 posted:

what was the name of that one space game where you have a cockpit but no windows, everythings just done through sensors submarine style?

Objects in Space

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
There's also Rogue System which goes the more realistic route with a windowless cockpit that projects the view from outside onto panels.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

There's also Rogue System which goes the more realistic route with a windowless cockpit that projects the view from outside onto panels.

I looked up a video and I feel like if it had like an actual physical console I could flick buttons on itd be an instant buy

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Lone Badger posted:

Wouldn't a super-high-performance fighter be even more cramped? No room for ergonomics, got to shave another 300g off the weight of the cockpit!

cramped in terms of seating but with a high visibility canopy, so your view will be unobstructed even if you barely fit in the seat. So in gameplay terms you'd be able to see a lot outside.

Mailer posted:

This is true. What is also true, though, is it's both realistically wrong and crappy gameplay-wise.

'realistically wrong' isn't an argument which works when discussing fictional spaceplanes in the slightest.

anyway, from what I've seen later ships will have less cramped cockpits than the literal trash box you start in and there's a third person mode and I dunno, tweet at them about a cockpitless HUD mode? We'll have options.

Insert name here posted:

Give me horribly obtrusive cockpits that cover half the screen over UI elements pasted over a cockpitless screen any day of the week

I think WC3 had cockpits you may have been able to turn off, WC4 was full cockpitless and I think they got negative feedback on it so Prophecy put in the barest hint of a canopy frame but didn't render any cockpit structure or gauges or whatever. That worked pretty well for WCP, it gave you a hint what you were flying other than staring at a HUD readout and a little 'weight' to your maneuvering.

Freespace was cockpitless but at least one open-source mod added cockpits back, I wish I could find this pretty impressive youtube I watched like 3 years ago but alas

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 11, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Mailer posted:

You know how you could shave 20kg+ off the weight of the craft? Convert to something other than 19" CRT monitors just to show shields and your target. :v:

Elite, for all its faults at being a game, tends to have a decent balance between the cockpit letting you know what ship you're flying and actually being able to see the game.

You know how you could shave 20kg+ off the weight of the craft? Get a pilot that's not a fat neckbearded goon.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Agean90 posted:

I looked up a video and I feel like if it had like an actual physical console I could flick buttons on itd be an instant buy

I think Objects in Space supports building your own physical consoles. http://objectsgame.com/the-controllers/blueprints-schematics/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Radio Free Kobold posted:

You know how you could shave 20kg+ off the weight of the craft? Get a pilot that's not a fat neckbearded goon.

Too unrealistic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DatonKallandor posted:

Rogue System is great but unfortunately won't get finished due to the dev suffering some serious health issues :smith:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Ah, so that's why Juno is the player character in Outlaw.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

God, I've been waiting so long for a space shooter that isn't super "realistic", newtonian physics, manage a fleet/space empire or a multiplayer rougelike VR experience.

I haven't followed this super close, the combat and missions from that one hour demo seem fun but pretty bare bones. Have they said anything about expanding gameplay? I hope the story has good scripted missions otherwise.

Also hope it's not killed by being an Epic Store exclusive.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Time to touch the stars, boyo.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I am legitimately stoked for this in a way that two hundos up Croberts' nose just hasn't been able to replicate.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hexenritter posted:

I am legitimately stoked for this in a way that two hundos up Croberts' nose just hasn't been able to replicate.

It's a day one. I will bitch and moan incessantly about having to use the Epic store but I'll still buy it. It's the same hype I had for Privateer 2 before I played it and was very sad.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mailer posted:

It's a day one. I will bitch and moan incessantly about having to use the Epic store but I'll still buy it.
Yeah, same.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Agreed. It helps with the feel and personality of the world. The cockpits also match the function of the ship and can serve to both distinguish and encourage the purchase of different ships. shitmobile: good luck in space, idiot vs. spacepimp 9000: enjoy seeing all of space explode

Everspace had pretty nice functional cockpits for each ship

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
That's one of the things I loved in Elite, each ship has a distinctive cockpit with its own personality. The starter Sidewinder has cracked faux leather and peeling plastic and wires stuck on with duct tape, and a visible starter pilot's manual in the glove compartment; the luxury gunboat Fer-de-Lance has actual leather and mahogany and all these sweeping artsy lines; the Imperial Clipper is all Apple silver-whites and glowing blue lines and it's big enough that it feels like it should echo, and the Lakon cargo ships have these big expansive cockpit bubbles that have a great view for docking but make an easy target in combat.

Carefully excited for RGO here, always loved space flight games and am thankful I didn't fall for Scam Citizen.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

That's one of the things I loved in Elite, each ship has a distinctive cockpit with its own personality. The starter Sidewinder has cracked faux leather and peeling plastic and wires stuck on with duct tape, and a visible starter pilot's manual in the glove compartment; the luxury gunboat Fer-de-Lance has actual leather and mahogany and all these sweeping artsy lines; the Imperial Clipper is all Apple silver-whites and glowing blue lines and it's big enough that it feels like it should echo, and the Lakon cargo ships have these big expansive cockpit bubbles that have a great view for docking but make an easy target in combat.

This.

More importantly each ship handled differently. Big fat haulers were like driving a bus full of lead and light heavily-engineered fighters required a very gentle touch. Switching between them was a good way to disorient yourself. Depending on manufacturer (and price) you could have an interior designed by the biggest turtleneck in Apple or looking extremely utilitarian. Between the look and the feel you immediately knew how pricey the ship was and whether you'd want to use it to fight. Having the best ship sounds in the business doesn't hurt either, since you know when you're packing massive thrusters.

None of this really applies to WC, but thankfully modern games have the technology (and lack of crobberts) to deliver a Good Cockpit option on top of the previous Terrible Cockpit / No Cockpit options. :v:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Mailer posted:

It's a day one. I will bitch and moan incessantly about having to use the Epic store but I'll still buy it.

Very much like this, except the bitching and moaning. Competition is good and it's not a loving horrible stretch at all to install yet another launcher. I have Uplay, Origin, Steam, GOG Galaxy, Battle.net and Epic, and none of them do anything unless I tell them to.

It can get inconvenient with all of them different logins, but that's why password resets were invented.

And I don't much care for Valve since they decided to take their hands off poop.

And I like the idea that devs get more of my money.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, valve need some real competition.
I've got origin, steam, and battle.net. None of them is on autostart, and I have every game I care about on a start menu shortcut, so I don't even have to remember which game is in which launcher.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I already got the Epic launcher for Subnautica so I guess I will buy this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Same except Hades (which is also good). The Epic store is inoffensive at least, so using it to buy and play RGO shouldn't be a big deal (it certainly wasn't for Hades)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Keep in mind at least subnautica apparently got stealth patched to require the launcher running to start, so that's probably going to be a requirement for all the Epic Store stuff. So there goes one more "we're better than Steam" reason (I can't think of any that are left at this point).

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Welp, Epic is giving out What Remains of Edith Finch in a few days. I caved and created an account, I guess I'll preorder this whenever I get the chance. :toot:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DatonKallandor posted:

Keep in mind at least subnautica apparently got stealth patched to require the launcher running to start, so that's probably going to be a requirement for all the Epic Store stuff. So there goes one more "we're better than Steam" reason (I can't think of any that are left at this point).

That's... creepy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah, valve need some real competition.
I've got origin, steam, and battle.net. None of them is on autostart, and I have every game I care about on a start menu shortcut, so I don't even have to remember which game is in which launcher.

Yeah my only worry about the Epic launcher is Tencent's involvement. I just do not trust that company at all.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The Epic store is definitely going to keep a lot of people from impulse buying the game. I hope Double Damage have gotten a good enough deal that they can offer some DLC or an expanded edition for the inevitable Steam release a year later, even if they sell less than expected, to get some more buzz going then. But even if some of us won't buy the game on release, let's all be chill.

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - We Don't Own This Game, But We Have an Understanding with the People Who Do.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

This is so goddamn privateer looking.

I bit the bullet and made an Epic games account. I am a diehard steam man, but gently caress it. This looks pretty drat cool. Hades, Battle out of Hell is another one on Epic that is pretty hard for me to ignore. Game by the Bastion and Transistor guys? I mean, they have a real track record.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

So how's the game coming along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Jackie D posted:

So how's the game coming along
No news since announcing it would be exclusive to the epic game store, sadly.