Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Not complete radio silence though, the developer is moderately active on twitter.

The latest tl;dr on the game is that it is fully playable and they're working hard at cramming in loads of side missions, dialogue, cutscenes, stuff like that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Dude did a twitch stream. Contains some story spoilers, losing at 8-ball, losing at dice, and a whole lot of wanting things he can't afford. Game looks good! Music sounds good!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mailer posted:

Dude did a twitch stream. Contains some story spoilers, losing at 8-ball, losing at dice, and a whole lot of wanting things he can't afford. Game looks good! Music sounds good!

Glad to see it has a story with voiceacting and cutscenes! When was the last time a space game had those? Also can't get enough of all that style.

Want to know what the higher difficulty settings entail. Like what are the assists you loose out on apart from aiming?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Glad to see it has a story with voiceacting and cutscenes! When was the last time a space game had those? Also can't get enough of all that style.

Want to know what the higher difficulty settings entail. Like what are the assists you loose out on apart from aiming?

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare had them.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Plenty of games in space/scifi settings have had those. Now if the question was broadened to "When was the last time a spaceship game a single-player narrative?" it's... been a while. Rebel Galaxy technically was this, but it had only a barebones plot that I've completely forgotten. Rogue Squadron games, I guess?

When people design a game where you're in the ship their design doc immediately defaults to plotless grind like it's been mangled by some grognard version of Clippy. The weirdest thing about RGO is that it took this long to come back around to Privateer.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mailer posted:

Plenty of games in space/scifi settings have had those. Now if the question was broadened to "When was the last time a spaceship game a single-player narrative?" it's... been a while. Rebel Galaxy technically was this, but it had only a barebones plot that I've completely forgotten. Rogue Squadron games, I guess?

When people design a game where you're in the ship their design doc immediately defaults to plotless grind like it's been mangled by some grognard version of Clippy. The weirdest thing about RGO is that it took this long to come back around to Privateer.
Freelancer (2003) had a plot of sorts, DarkStar One (2006) was plot driven too.
Still rather telling that even the most recent example I can think of is still more than a decade ago.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, correction: I meant space sim/shooter.

Peripherals like steering wheels and joysticks are being produced again, stuff that was thought to die out a decade ago. All sorts of weird sims are being made that would not have had a market a couple of years ago. Obviously RGO leans more to the arcade side, and I think that's great, but I really hope it will mean some sort of renaissance for space sims with a story.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, correction: I meant space sim/shooter.

Peripherals like steering wheels and joysticks are being produced again, stuff that was thought to die out a decade ago. All sorts of weird sims are being made that would not have had a market a couple of years ago. Obviously RGO leans more to the arcade side, and I think that's great, but I really hope it will mean some sort of renaissance for space sims with a story.
Man, I'd kill for one set in the Expanse.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Man, I'd kill for one set in the Expanse.

I feel like that would play a lot more like COADE than RGO, but yeah same. If we have to use those little 3D mice to control the ship that'd be sweet too. Sling plasma torps at light-seconds out, draw patterns on the enemy with PDCs.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

It'd be as pretty much as arcady as you can get with realistic physics, since the ships in the Expanse has ludicrous thrust to weight ratio.

It would be a cool sim aspect of having to manage your manoeuvres carefully. Too many brutal manoeuvres too fast and you risk your crew passing out or dying, g-juice be damned.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013
Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I found the thread by doing a Google search for one of the ships. I've been lucky enough to get a pre-release copy to help with bug finding and testing, and have over 20 hours in, so I'd be happy to answer any questions I can, if you have them.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Brian Rubin posted:

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I found the thread by doing a Google search for one of the ships. I've been lucky enough to get a pre-release copy to help with bug finding and testing, and have over 20 hours in, so I'd be happy to answer any questions I can, if you have them.

By all means!
And I have a question right off the bat too. How is the game with keyboard and mouse?

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

And I have a question right off the bat too. How is the game with keyboard and mouse?

Sadly I can't answer that one, as I've been asked to play only with a gamepad at this point. The game will eventually support everything from K/M to full HOTAS, so I'm sure I'll be able to test all of that and report back eventually.

I'll tell ya what though. It's sublime with a gamepad.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brian Rubin posted:

Game is good?

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

It might be the best space game of the last two decades. I've not enjoyed dogfighting this good since Freespace 2, which I believe is at the top of the heap of this particular niche. It's basically what a Privateer in 2019 should be.

So yes, it's good. So, so good. It's all I can think about. It's all I want to play. I've not even gone that deep into the story either. 90% of my playtime is side missions, random encounters, distress calls and exploration tips from bartenders. It's just so delightful.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Brian Rubin posted:

I'll tell ya what though. It's sublime with a gamepad.
I, however, am not. I'm utterly inept with a gamepad. :v:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brian Rubin posted:

It might be the best space game of the last two decades. I've not enjoyed dogfighting this good since Freespace 2, which I believe is at the top of the heap of this particular niche. It's basically what a Privateer in 2019 should be.

So yes, it's good. So, so good. It's all I can think about. It's all I want to play. I've not even gone that deep into the story either. 90% of my playtime is side missions, random encounters, distress calls and exploration tips from bartenders. It's just so delightful.

What don't you like?

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

I, however, am not. I'm utterly inept with a gamepad. :v:

I used to be as well. Totally useless. You know what helped me finally click with it?

Euro Truck Sim 2. I poo poo you not.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What don't you like?

Um........well not everything is in the game yet, so I don't really know...I mean I've found some bugs I didn't like, but those got fixed, so...

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Brian Rubin posted:

I used to be as well. Totally useless. You know what helped me finally click with it?

Euro Truck Sim 2. I poo poo you not.
I do have a 360 controller somewhere, I'll certainly try RGO with it.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

I do have a 360 controller somewhere, I'll certainly try RGO with it.

Holding down the left trigger to do autofollow while shoowing with the right trigger feels REALLY natural.

FYI, autofollow is the thing the game has to keep your target on the screen. It's completely optional -- and disabled entirely at higher difficulties -- and doesn't fully aim for you, it just keeps the target in front of you so you can focus on aiming and shooting. It works REALLY well and will be a boon for new pilots, I feel.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I remember Freelancer did mouse flight really well.
If RGO manage to be as good with kb+m, I might never stop playing.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
How long is RGO going to be a Epic store exclusive again? A year!

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Brian Rubin posted:

You're not under an NDA, are you? I'd hate for you to get in trouble for sharing the juicy goss.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Brian Rubin posted:

What's the most satisfying weapon you've fired?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

How has the variation of side content been so far?

And of course, any idea how close to release it is? Are they just doing bug testing and adding content or is there some feature that you know of which hasn't been implemented yet?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Brian Rubin posted:

I hope you've played Freelancer lots and can tell us whether or not this is the successor we've been waiting for.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

How many spaceships have you flown so far? If more than one, which one is your favorite and how would you describe it, both in terms of aesthetic and performance?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Travis went and uploaded a second, three hour stream just now
This one includes some Q&A, explanation of the difficulty options. I haven't watched that far yet, but he also mention that he'll show off and fly a different ship than the literal garbage truck at some point as well.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Looking really good from that video. The ship salesman is straight out of privateer, along with a lot of the visual elements. I can't complain though, given how much I loved privateer.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Groetgaffel posted:

Travis went and uploaded a second, three hour stream just now
This one includes some Q&A, explanation of the difficulty options. I haven't watched that far yet, but he also mention that he'll show off and fly a different ship than the literal garbage truck at some point as well.

and a special treat for the Star Citizen thread posters: a few former (current?) cultists were there as well including Accelerwraith and Ben Lesnick

crazy world

e: in the chat, I mean

WarpDogs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 21, 2019

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

This game needs to be out now. I've almost purchased Privateer multiple times despite knowing it'll just be a letdown.

One thing I noticed, re: my earlier discussion about cockpits, is that in motion the dumptruck cockpit isn't that bad. I still feel like they're putting a bit too much reliance on the auto-follow function but my view on it is more like "I wish it was texas holdem instead of dice poker". It just doesn't matter much within the context of the game.

WarpDogs posted:

e: in the chat, I mean

This edit made me sad. With how much Travis complains about the small size of that booth I was looking forward to seeing how much of Ben they could get in.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Without the rose-colored glasses, privateer would be a tough one for people these days. I played a shitton of it as a kid and have fond memories, but it has really aged. I still remember my standard start of selling the starting missile launcher for funds. I would usually try to get a dumbfire torpedo launcher and a couple of meson cannon with early gear.

I usually ended up in a galaxy ship for a long time, as I liked playing the trading game. That was a somewhat unique mechanic at the time. The centurion was for sure the most capable combat ship though.

Outlaw is definitely a day one purchase for me though. I played the first rebel galaxy, and did enjoy it.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

Without the rose-colored glasses, privateer would be a tough one for people these days.
Freelancer on the other hand holds up fairly well.
I played it through only a couple of years ago and enjoyed myself greatly.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Mailer posted:

This game needs to be out now. I've almost purchased Privateer multiple times despite knowing it'll just be a letdown.

One thing I noticed, re: my earlier discussion about cockpits, is that in motion the dumptruck cockpit isn't that bad. I still feel like they're putting a bit too much reliance on the auto-follow function but my view on it is more like "I wish it was texas holdem instead of dice poker". It just doesn't matter much within the context of the game.

This edit made me sad. With how much Travis complains about the small size of that booth I was looking forward to seeing how much of Ben they could get in.

They built a new addition to the booth around Ben, and tore it down so he could go home.

Ben fat.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Groetgaffel posted:

Freelancer on the other hand holds up fairly well.
I played it through only a couple of years ago and enjoyed myself greatly.

All it really needed was a dynamic trade system and an actual endgame. Both would've been fixed had Microsoft not pulled the plug on Digital Anvil.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

All it really needed was a dynamic trade system and an actual endgame. Both would've been fixed had Microsoft not pulled the plug on Digital Anvil.

I hope this is sarcasm. Microsoft's the only reason the game released at all. It was in development hell under Roberts' awful management.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Freelancer was something I loaded up, loved the control, and then was immediately hit with a lack of direction. I remember briefly trying Starlancer, understanding (perhaps incorrectly) it was the Wing Commander to Freelancer's Privateer, but it never stuck. My memory of Privateer was largely doing some plot, farming upgrades, doing more plot, farming upgrades, then finally finishing the plot with a fully kitted Centurion. Without the plot I'd never have touched the game. Rebel Galaxy had a similar plot-light-but-upgrade-heavy experience and I got the same vibe there. If it's just a make-your-own-fun sandbox then I bail immediately.

That's kind of my big hope (and nothing shown has squashed that) for RGO - a game rear end game where you can get sidetracked but you're not expected to provide your own content.

As a disclaimer - I played Privateer when it was new, before the expansion, and haven't played it since. I played Freespace in 2001, and never since. My views are not educated at all. The only thing I'm 100% sure of is Privateer 2 broke my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I really wish this was VR or could become VR at some point, House of the Dying Sun was just enough VR space sim crack to leave me wanting more.