Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Being able to make obscene hand gestures at people on my viewscreen is the feature I never knew I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I need grappler arms on my spaceship so it can make obscene gestures at people.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

jarlywarly posted:

I really wish this was VR or could become VR at some point, House of the Dying Sun was just enough VR space sim crack to leave me wanting more.

I'm sure you already know this, but Elite is a space sim that works extremely well in VR. The downside is it is a sim, and therefore allergic to fun, and run by a company that embodies this. If you already have the HOTAS and headset on PC, though, it's still a very big recommendation to pick up for :10bux: on a Steam sale. The part where it gets lovely doesn't hit for a while and by then you've got your money's worth.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I really want to play this game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Erin Roberts made Privateer. Chris Roberts hosed around with Freelancer until Microsoft caught him using the Freelancer money to do the special effects for the Wing Commander movie and then booted him off the project.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mokinokaro posted:

I hope this is sarcasm. Microsoft's the only reason the game released at all. It was in development hell under Roberts' awful management.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Erin Roberts made Privateer. Chris Roberts hosed around with Freelancer until Microsoft caught him using the Freelancer money to do the special effects for the Wing Commander movie and then booted him off the project.

I didn't know that! Either way, the last part of the game suffered from it, and I can only guess how the plot would've gone, had it continued.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It would have continued into infinity is what these guys are trying to tell you. You'll get a more cohesive and finite plot pondering the darkness of space.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

THE BAR posted:

I didn't know that! Either way, the last part of the game suffered from it, and I can only guess how the plot would've gone, had it continued.

You don't need to guess. Look up "Star Citizen" to see exactly how things would have progressed.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Eric Roberts was a game designer!

Edit: Also adding to what the above poster said, Elite is THE VR spaceship experience. And while I haven't played it, apparently Everspace also works really well in VR.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

chaosapiant posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Eric Roberts was a game designer!

Edit: Also adding to what the above poster said, Elite is THE VR spaceship experience. And while I haven't played it, apparently Everspace also works really well in VR.

Everspace is incredibly nice in VR - can confirm.
Prettier than Elite by a long shot - but the scale of the game is small enough to let 'em go nuts with Unreal, too.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'd love to see Freespace 2 get proper cockpit models and VR support one day. That's still my go-to game for mission/story based space shooting.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Everspace is fun but I found it's roguelike tendencies to become tedious after about 8 hours. It is very pretty and plays well.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Elite is a nifty game, but last I checked in it tried as hard as it could to avoid taking advantage of the fact that it's a massively online game and the developers diligently recreated the most tedious parts of 90s era space games. The core mechanics around combat are excellent and it's still worth picking up on sale though.

Everspace I haven't heard of before. It's reviews seemed pretty...tepid?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

jarlywarly posted:

I really wish this was VR or could become VR at some point, House of the Dying Sun was just enough VR space sim crack to leave me wanting more.

one of the two developers gets pretty ill in VR so that's a hard nope from them on this in VR

maybe in the distant future of a third party mod you might get lucky but don't expect it officially is what I understand

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Voyager I posted:

Everspace I haven't heard of before. It's reviews seemed pretty...tepid?

It is very fun and captures many different styles of space games we've played but it's a roguelike so there's no shinies for dopamine addicted gamers to chase and it gets metascored accordingly.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I need to go back and play more Everspace, i bought it in EA and had some fun with it but didn't play it very long figuring I'd come back to it once it was fully released.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Zigmidge posted:

It is very fun and captures many different styles of space games we've played but it's a roguelike so there's no shinies for dopamine addicted gamers to chase and it gets metascored accordingly.

Not even the case dude it's just super grindy to get half a shield blip for the next run.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The problem with Everspace is that it's not a space game, arcade or sim. The ships handle and fly like the player does in Descent. There's no real momentum, the default state is no movement at all and every direction has the same or similar acceleration and max speeds. It's just Descent, without the intricate levels, with Freelancer's generous auto/mouse-point aim.

Pretty much the polar opposite of Freespace, TIE Fighter, Privateer or Wing Commander, and even pretty far removed from Freelancer.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It’s a fun 6DOF shooter with a good sense of humor and an actual plot, I would say the roguelike elements can be too grindy, though

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I only finished one "Lap" Of Everspace thus far, I did get a laugh out of just embracing "time to respawn" in universe and shooting yourself to kick off the next game start because it was faster than flying back the way you came now that you reached the "End" for the first time.

I vaguely recall collision damage being the greatest enemy in the galaxy? Unless I'm thinking of some other space game.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Section Z posted:

While I only finished one "Lap" Of Everspace thus far, I did get a laugh out of just embracing "time to respawn" in universe and shooting yourself to kick off the next game start because it was faster than flying back the way you came now that you reached the "End" for the first time.

I vaguely recall collision damage being the greatest enemy in the galaxy? Unless I'm thinking of some other space game.

No that was it. Collision damage could really gently caress you up real fast. While "most" of the game play is like Descent the second the inertia damper get damage all bet's are off and your ship is sliding all over the place.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Mailer posted:

Freelancer was something I loaded up, loved the control, and then was immediately hit with a lack of direction. I remember briefly trying Starlancer, understanding (perhaps incorrectly) it was the Wing Commander to Freelancer's Privateer, but it never stuck. My memory of Privateer was largely doing some plot, farming upgrades, doing more plot, farming upgrades, then finally finishing the plot with a fully kitted Centurion. Without the plot I'd never have touched the game. Rebel Galaxy had a similar plot-light-but-upgrade-heavy experience and I got the same vibe there. If it's just a make-your-own-fun sandbox then I bail immediately.

That's kind of my big hope (and nothing shown has squashed that) for RGO - a game rear end game where you can get sidetracked but you're not expected to provide your own content.

As a disclaimer - I played Privateer when it was new, before the expansion, and haven't played it since. I played Freespace in 2001, and never since. My views are not educated at all. The only thing I'm 100% sure of is Privateer 2 broke my heart.

I also am very hopeful, very much because I have been so disappointed with the games you mentioned. And I actually followed their development actively back in the day, which only added to my complete disappointment.

Starlancer WAS the wing commander to Freelancer's Privateer. Not that there's anything wrong with that, except that it wasn't a particularly good Wing Commander style game either. Freelancer, which we all at the time assumed would be the Privateer sequel we had been waiting years for was more the problem really.

Thing is, while Wing Commander was made by Chris Roberts and Privateer made by his brother, both lancer games were made by Chris. I mean, not really, all the games in question were made by whole teams of talented people. But by the time the lancer games are being made, it was Chris' company making them. He ran everything. Made every decision. And Chris saw no reason to respect the opinion of anyone who wasn't himself, including those who wanted Freelancer to be more like Privateer and less like an interactive animated movie/full Second Life mmo but in space. But then he drove the company into the ground financially and had to sell it to his publisher Microsoft, who promptly fired him when they saw how much of their money he had already wasted on the project and how many years of development Freelancer had left before they could assemble the random bits Chris had created into something that was even remotely shippable.

Long story short, it was a miracle Freelancer released at all, Microsoft lost a ton of money on it and as a result the genre kinda died, and no one has made a serious attempt at a Privateer clone ever since.

Until now, which is why I'm super excited, because I loved Privateer.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

vmdvr posted:

Long story short, it was a miracle Freelancer released at all, Microsoft lost a ton of money on it and as a result the genre kinda died, and no one has made a serious attempt at a Privateer clone ever since.

Well, except for the Evochron guy, who's been making those for years.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Groetgaffel posted:

Travis went and uploaded a second, three hour stream just now
This one includes some Q&A, explanation of the difficulty options. I haven't watched that far yet, but he also mention that he'll show off and fly a different ship than the literal garbage truck at some point as well.

The whole last hour of this was simply Q&A, with some interesting stuff. Sounds like it will be very moddable, which was a surprise to me. Custom music, changing every stat of the existing ships, importing completely new ships and making your own missions. Not sure how easy it would be for modders to create stuff on par with the game as it is now in terms of detail and fidelity, but here's hoping it gets a big enough following to attract the people who can.

Also there will be an upgradeable base! And weapons that degrade... we'll see how that turns out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Wing Commander was Chris Roberts, Privateer was Erin Roberts.

Starlancer was Erin Roberts, Freelancer was Chris Roberts development hell.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

DatonKallandor posted:

Well, except for the Evochron guy, who's been making those for years.

Evochron is as much Privateer as Elite is. They may not have Frontier's hatred of all that is not tedious and incorrect belief that they're making an MMO, but it's still a big ol' sandbox with no soul.

The weirdest part about RGO is that it's taken this long. We've had the return of traditional (if not AAA) point-and-click adventure games, Myst/Return to Zork style adventure games, Baldur's Gate style isometric RPGs, and even silly FMV games for some reason. FPS RPGs like Deus Ex are coming back with Bloodlines/System Shock/Cyberpunk. I didn't know Freelancer had poisoned the well this badly.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Clearly, no one wants to get upstaged by StarCitizen’s release.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

where did you hear the special effects thing? that's a bombshell claim; in 20 years of making GBS threads on the ineptitude of chris roberts management of digital anvil, i've never heard it before.

vmdvr posted:

Starlancer WAS the wing commander to Freelancer's Privateer. Not that there's anything wrong with that, except that it wasn't a particularly good Wing Commander style game either.

i always wanted to play starlancer, but it had no mouse control option at a time when the other games i played (the freespace games, freelancer, tachyon) did. i keep meaning to go back and see if there are some good middleware programs that make it playable but i don't even have a disk drive in my computer anymore. :effort:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Starlancer is really great, and you can even play the campaign coop. It has a handful of bad missions and some sloppy mission scripting, but all of those games had those.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wing Commander was Chris Roberts, Privateer was Erin Roberts.

Starlancer was Erin Roberts, Freelancer was Chris Roberts’ development hell.

Made that a tad more accurate.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm generally ...okay ... about Starlancer given the $1.99 I paid for it, but the last mission is a crash course in hateful mission design made by people who hate you. It's a problem that Warthog had throughout everything they touched that I'm aware of, they just substituted gotcha traps requiring restarts for intelligent mission design.

also the targeting controls are balls compared to its relevant peers, which is part of the above

In the past I've made jokes about how I think I overpaid despite that price tag and I think upon consideration that is rude. I definitely paid a reasonable amount.

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 24, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Starlancer was a space game that released post FS2. It was pointless before it was even on the shelves.

Also it had incredibly lovely mission design, player interaction with capital ships was super basic and unfun (and cap ships in turn felt really anemic, which is a major sin after FS2 cap ships) and the explosions all looked terrible.

Pretty cool art and aesthetic, though

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The only 3 good space sims, ever, have been (in order) Freespace 2, Freelancer, and Tachyon: The Fringe

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

The whole last hour of this was simply Q&A, with some interesting stuff. Sounds like it will be very moddable, which was a surprise to me. Custom music, changing every stat of the existing ships, importing completely new ships and making your own missions. Not sure how easy it would be for modders to create stuff on par with the game as it is now in terms of detail and fidelity, but here's hoping it gets a big enough following to attract the people who can.

Also there will be an upgradeable base! And weapons that degrade... we'll see how that turns out.

I'm reservedly excited about this game given how quickly I cooled on Rebel Galaxy, but moddability makes me super hopeful again.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

The only 3 good space sims, ever, have been (in order) Freespace 2, Freelancer, and Tachyon: The Fringe

drat dude, freespace 1 was pretty good (as long as you don't have silent threat installed).

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Skyl3lazer posted:

My goodness someone else who remembers Tachyon exists? Yeah, I have fond memories from playing it as a kid. Too bad even the community is basically dead nowadays. That said, I'd rate X-Wing Alliance up there with them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I am generally a VR/HOTAS guy, but having a space game that I can play while kicking back on the couch will be nice, especially if it has a sweet twangy soundtrack like the first one. Launching torpedoes being all like twangy twang twang twaaaaaang, twangy twang twang twang.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

the nucas posted:

where did you hear the special effects thing? that's a bombshell claim; in 20 years of making GBS threads on the ineptitude of chris roberts management of digital anvil, i've never heard it before.

Years ago when I actively gave a flying gently caress about Star Citizen. I forgot who or where I got it from, but my recollection was that DA was tasked with doing the digital effects and Chris was so convinced he was making a masterpiece that he used up MS's money on the belief that he would make it all back when WC was released.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Skyl3lazer posted:

Independence War 2 would like a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Years ago when I actively gave a flying gently caress about Star Citizen. I forgot who or where I got it from, but my recollection was that DA was tasked with doing the digital effects and Chris was so convinced he was making a masterpiece that he used up MS's money on the belief that he would make it all back when WC was released.

Digital Anvil was one of the production companies at least. Can't say if they did the effects, it's been too long and I definitely don't care enough to track down a copy of the movie.

after checking a couple clips on Youtube it's kind of insane how much Starlancer took from this movie in terms of visuals and style, though. Like, a lot. So I find it extremely plausible DA was doing the effects work and just rolled it back into Starlancer after the movie bombed.

here is an interview with freddie prinze jr I just learned about :

quote:

Q: Have you liked all the films you've been in?

A: No.

Q: Which ones don't you like?

A: I can't stand Wing Commander. I can't watch one scene of that movie.

Q: How did it become so awful?

A: It's the simplest story in the world. I read the script and loved it. So did my buddy Matthew Lillard. We both got the parts. We went on location and they said, "Here's the new script." It was a piece of poo poo.

from here.