Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

eke out posted:

Grant: "The only way I can retain some power in this is to make it a perv thing"

They had to know Grant was going to do something along those lines, given that task. The fact a later episode has Sam give Grant the task "sell me on letting you bounce on daddy's knee", Grant immediately goes "knowing me like you do, where do you think I'm gonna go with this task" and Sam replies "yeah, I craft these tasks specifically for the people I know are playing" and is still embarrassed as gently caress when Grant makes it sexual makes it all the better. Grant leans so hard in to those bits and that he can do so with such ease and confidence makes it even funnier when you do see him get squeamish over other comparatively tame things, like contemplating letting someone like 25 of his exes pictures on social media or having to show old movies of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'm partway through Trinyvale, and it is unmistakably a world made by Caldwell Tanner. Just like the first campaign, Jake is stealing the show for me. Hardwon, Nyack, and Henry all kind of have these solid springboards that Jake uses to come up with great character humor. He and Emily are good at feeding improv at Murph so that Murph can play the straight man really well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

tsob posted:

They had to know Grant was going to do something along those lines, given that task. The fact a later episode has Sam give Grant the task "sell me on letting you bounce on daddy's knee", Grant immediately goes "knowing me like you do, where do you think I'm gonna go with this task" and Sam replies "yeah, I craft these tasks specifically for the people I know are playing" and is still embarrassed as gently caress when Grant makes it sexual makes it all the better. Grant leans so hard in to those bits and that he can do so with such ease and confidence makes it even funnier when you do see him get squeamish over other comparatively tame things, like contemplating letting someone like 25 of his exes pictures on social media or having to show old movies of his.

i watched a bunch of episodes of Game Changer after seeing your post and they really are genuinely great

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think the only episode of Game Changer I didn't enjoy is the second season episode where the game was to find as many secret agents as possible by "activating" them with a secret passcode, because it just wasn't that interesting or entertaining to watch the 3 guests run around shouting the same ten catchphrases at random strangers in the street. Often two or even all three of them all shouting at the same small group of people at once. There was no sense of escalation, no mini-games to break things up a bit and no chance for them to really flex their improvisational skills. It just felt like it was running against the grain of what the show normally is. You could also see that some of the people they were speaking to were just getting annoyed at what was happening. I feel like it'd have been better if they'd been given just one or two catchphrases, perhaps one that changed every minute or something and the passphrases got more awkward over time, so that there was that sense of escalation, but every interaction only lasted a couple of seconds.

That said, pretty much every other episode is amazing and even ones I didn't think sounded fun from their synopsis were great; including the ones filmed over Zoom for lockdown. The latest episode, where the contestants have 1 minute to cosplay a random character using the "bag of various bits of bullshit" Sam sent each of them, and whatever they have around their house was great, even though I didn't think it'd be that good initially. I do feel like Tao Yang was kind of hard done by it though, since he got no points during the entire game from the actual cosplay elements and only from the mini-game they played at the mid-point. I'm not sure if that was because he just wasn't that in to it so all his efforts were pretty low rent compared to Lily Du and the other girl, that he wasn't using any of his own stuff most of the time and just using scraps from the bag Sam sent or what. He was probably just not a good pick for that game, I suppose. His Elsa costume deserved a point at the very least though, just for matching the colours of her outfit perfectly.

I've started watching Dimension 20 with the latest season, Pirates of Leviathan, and I'm only part way through the first episode but one thing I'm really enjoying is seeing the cast play some really unusual races, like a Bugbear, a Merwoman by way of a Lamia, a Ratfolk and an Aarakocra, as well as all the cast feeling shadier and less morally upstanding than you generally see in D'n'D Actual Plays; or at least, shadier than I generally see. It makes it immediately stand out a bit, though Brennan's skill at world-building and theater of the mind stuff certainly helps cement things immediately too.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

I've started watching Dimension 20 with the latest season, Pirates of Leviathan, and I'm only part way through the first episode but one thing I'm really enjoying is seeing the cast play some really unusual races, like a Bugbear, a Merwoman by way of a Lamia, a Ratfolk and an Aarakocra, as well as all the cast feeling shadier and less morally upstanding than you generally see in D'n'D Actual Plays; or at least, shadier than I generally see. It makes it immediately stand out a bit, though Brennan's skill at world-building and theater of the mind stuff certainly helps cement things immediately too.

Escape from the Bloodkeep is great for oddball races and somewhat shady characters too. That one's on youtube, but definitely watch the behind the scenes after you finish the final episode. There's some real insanity that happens/doesn't happen that makes it fun as hell. Also, double pants.

And from the livestream yesterday, sounds like they had a decent sized tour planned and then Covid happened so the whole thing got scrapped. They're definitely going to do the live show at that random restaurant as soon as everything opens up though.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Re: Dimension 20 they did a one-shot with RTX a few weeks ago that is up on Dropout now. They also did another one-shot for Roll20. Both were Fantasy High one-shots that spoil the other seasons. The RTX one had everyone minus Lou and they visited a college. I liked that one. Very light on fights (probably because they couldn't overrun and mess up the schedule) so it's like an hour long or so. It's still full of gags and whatnot. The Roll20 one is a boys night. That one I'm still going through. It's almost three hours long. Right now, it's available on Roll20's twitch page, but it will show up on dropout eventually.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/dimension20show/status/1322231110349316099

i'm excited about this, the first season was great and had some of the best em/murph characters.

(warning that there's some inherent spoilers in the video re: some characters from season 1 are no longer around, probably wouldn't spoil anyone unless you've seen part of 1 but not the end)

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
The patreon is worth it alone for this week's shrimp scampi discussion

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not gonna lie. They were making it seem like jakes lad was a miserable dude but he kinda seems like he's got it made with the baron.

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
If he gets too happy, they just need to bring Amir back in to ruin it a little.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm not gonna lie. They were making it seem like jakes lad was a miserable dude but he kinda seems like he's got it made with the baron.

It seems like the core of his character is an absolute refusal to be happy so I don't think Henry is taking his living situation all that well

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

It seems like the core of his character is an absolute refusal to be happy so I don't think Henry is taking his living situation all that well

There's something actually kind of brilliant about Henry being genuinely depressed and traumatized and his friends not being able to see past "YOU LIVE WITH THE BARON" and "YOU HAVE A POOL".

Also, hahaha the "nice guy" ghost and "Not all ghosts are like that"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Gaius Marius posted:

Love to live with my ex wife’s insane cousin and build insurmountable debt in the process

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Love to live with my ex wife’s insane cousin and build insurmountable debt in the process

Well he thought he was living rent free until this episode.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't think I can handle Emily's accent for the entire campaign. Like it's fine when her character is talking but the narration part is already bothering me.

Anyway the Short Rests are absolutely worth it. Their tangents alone are worth it, just the random poo poo they end up talking about. Then they talk cool behind the scenes stuff about the episodes too!

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I'm okay with her accent. I actually like it more than her Moonshine voice, which sounded kinda bad when she would try to do dramatic scenes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm okay with her accent. I actually like it more than her Moonshine voice, which sounded kinda bad when she would try to do dramatic scenes.

yeah i don't mind it. but i'm pretty familiar with the "narrate everything in-character" style, i can understand why it might be annoying to some folks

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

eke out posted:

yeah i don't mind it. but i'm pretty familiar with the "narrate everything in-character" style, i can understand why it might be annoying to some folks

Yeah, I don't envy someone having to decide on how they're going to do that kind of thing on a cast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't know, Henry seems like Fia and Zerk are rubbing off on him quite quickly so I doubt he's going to be all that miserable going forward. Jake himself said that he didn't really think about how Emily and Caldwell would engage with his character, but that it should be obvious they'd try and cheer him up rather than just accept him as a misery guts and I think the fact Jake is still finding the character's core, who he wants Henry to be and the inevitable hijinx means that he'll probably wind up not being so unhappy soon enough.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just a head's up: Caldwell's interview with Brennan Lee Mulligan for Adventuring Academy has already been put on YouTube and is worth a watch (or at least a background listen) since it's pretty fun and interesting throughout.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Triple Posting, but Emily was the guest this week on Adventuring Academy, which ran a few minutes extra at nearly 100 minutes but went over NaDDPod, Hot Boy Summer, Dimension 20, her style as a player, how her background in improv informs that, the fact she really jumped in to DM'ing lately and so on. All of which was really fun. It's obvious Brennan is a huge fan of Emily in general, but he has a great rapport with her and they talk about some interesting things, including how she's a really excellent person to DM for in several ways. One thing he points out is that D'n'D (and other TTGs in general) is often seen as something where the DM is the one weaving a story and it's all on them, but Emily is great because she gets so invested in her characters and the story they're part of and just interjects lots of little moments of emotion that let DMs know what she cares about so they know where to focus and what they can let go because people didn't really grab on to them, as well as leading or calling for scenes herself and just letting her characters push the story in various ways. Which takes some of the burden of creating the entire thing off the DM, and makes the story feel a lot more alive because everyone is contributing and it's not just a DM sitting there narrating a story the players are only really mechanically interacting with through fights.

I didn't really see it last week, since I'd never watched the show before but all the episodes of Adventuring Academy appear to be going up on YouTube a week after they go live looking at their feed, so I would expect this to be on YouTube next weekend if anyone wants to watch. I also wouldn't be shocked if Jake and/or Murph are guests in the next few weeks given that Caldwell was the star two weeks ago and Emily was the guest this week.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Murph already appeared in Adventuring Academy tho

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
We're people being stinky on Twitter?

quote:

There may come a day when the community is too big for us to reach out like this, but we have a very kind and thoughtful audience so it is not this day, my friends. 
99% of it is subtle and no one means any harm, but I've seen a LOT of questioning Fia over the past few weeks. Not really here on Patreon, but this is where I can reach a better cross section of the fanbase! Let me nip a few things in the bud:
Why does she have advantage on CHA throws? Vedalken stats.
Why does she do radiant damage? A divine favor spell that I accidentally edited out along with a ditched plan. It's back in there now. 
Why does she have such good stats? She's the only one with a negative stat, Henry has the best stats based on pure numbers.
Did Murph homebrew X for her? Only thing I've homebrewed recently for the PCs is the bone claw mechanic.
Why is she the leader again? I dunno that she's the leader, but her driving the story along and coming up with plans is INCREDIBLY helpful for me, the DM. 
I've messed up rulings and forgotten things like Concentration with other PCs, but I haven't heard a peep! Let's get some more area of effect criticism up in here, gang. Be a Rules Lawyer, not a Female Roll Inspector! 
No need for Emily Appreciation posts or anything, she doesn't want special treatment, just to be an equal player. Go after Balnor, who absolutely deserves it. 
Crit on your homework kids,
Murph

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also saw that email and it's way too loving typical

like all the people who literally could not comprehend that Marisha Ray was roleplaying a character in season 1 of critical role. or Beth May playing a character that's basically about examining toxic masculinity and people still doing the same poo poo to her

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What was the bone claw mechanic again? Was that the claw attached to the giant roving fortress the Boobs were attacking that Beverly was using when they were in hell? Also, I think Emily's characters can feel overpowered from a superficial standpoint, but that when you stop and actually examine it the reason is just that she's a really creative player and makes great use of what options are available to her regardless of who or what she's playing and that she'd be incredibly effective regardless of how stock the character she was playing was. Especially if she's given time to think about things and plan out her character's actions for a given situation. Going off the Short Rests Emily was considering how to fight Thiala for weeks, if not months before the Boobs faced off against her and had come up with contingencies for pretty much any situation. And even then, when she did talk Murph in to giving her character a spell that might be useful in that fight, her character had to give up something in order to gain it and she worked that in to character development that flowed naturally in the story and made Moonshine miserable to boot.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

tsob posted:

What was the bone claw mechanic again? Was that the claw attached to the giant roving fortress the Boobs were attacking that Beverly was using when they were in hell? Also, I think Emily's characters can feel overpowered from a superficial standpoint, but that when you stop and actually examine it the reason is just that she's a really creative player and makes great use of what options are available to her regardless of who or what she's playing and that she'd be incredibly effective regardless of how stock the character she was playing was. Especially if she's given time to think about things and plan out her character's actions for a given situation. Going off the Short Rests Emily was considering how to fight Thiala for weeks, if not months before the Boobs faced off against her and had come up with contingencies for pretty much any situation. And even then, when she did talk Murph in to giving her character a spell that might be useful in that fight, her character had to give up something in order to gain it and she worked that in to character development that flowed naturally in the story and made Moonshine miserable to boot.

The bone claws from the Eldermorne episode that posted a couple days ago.

Also I like reading your posts but I think I’d like it even more if they were broken up into more paragraphs instead of walls of text! :P

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The bone claw mechanic was just making Alter Self work a bit faster for the podcast. The spell gives you natural weapons, which is something that's normally locked behind a racial feature, and the proficiency to use it. If you want to run the spell it Rules as Written you need to recalculate a character's new attack and damage rolls for attacking with their action and bonus action (because they now have access to two-weapon fighting with their new claw, and that bonus action attack has its own weirdness associated with it). Actually looking up those rules would slow down the podcast and would probably mean that Henry gets a bit weaker if he wanted to use the claws, due to not having access to his fighter's fighting style bonuses. Instead of having to go through the rules and figure out something that would just be disappointing, Murph ran it as having the same mechanics as +1 claymore, which is much easier to rule on in the moment, and is still a nice upgrade for Henry.

Also, Emily is an amazing player, both in terms of roleplay and character building. It's great seeing her work with her mechanics and come up with fun ways to use her unique characters.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bip Roberts posted:

We're people being stinky on Twitter?

yea sounds like typical 'nerds ignore plenty of other mistakes/odd things but get huffy when THE WOMANS are involved in them. It seems like NAADPOD has a pretty cool fanbase mostly but I'm sure it pops up from time to time and isn't fun for any of them to deal with.

Luckily Emily kicks rear end and plays with cool people who are, ya know, her actual friends and all aside from playing magic elf games so I hope it doesn't bum her out too much when it happens.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Tenik posted:

Also, Emily is an amazing player, both in terms of roleplay and character building. It's great seeing her work with her mechanics and come up with fun ways to use her unique characters.

These people complaining about Emily in NADDPOD should see the poo poo she pulls off in Dimension20. Emily is just really good at dungeons and dragons.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

These people complaining about Emily in NADDPOD should see the poo poo she pulls off in Dimension20. Emily is just really good at dungeons and dragons.

Emily clearly long ago embraced the fact that D&D is like 30% building a good character and 50% random dice rolls and saying 'gently caress it let's see if this happens' and then like 20% of loving with the DM, and for that she's the most powerful character

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I'm enjoying the narrative this campaign that all of the characters were weird antisocial misfits and their charisma stat reflects it. I thought it was fun that every time they'd try to make a goofy comment in a serious situation Murph immediately would ask for a charisma check which they'd inevitably fail, so finding out that Fia has advantage on CHA this episode was disappointing for me because I felt like that running gag would get dropped once she stops getting unlucky rolls. Even so, I can't actually imagine getting worked up about something like that enough to complain to the dungeon manager or accuse him of a sexist conspiracy to give advantages to a FEMALE. It's absolutely disgusting that they're made to feel like they have to respond to stuff like this and the people hassling them a week ago to put the episodes up faster.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Donkey posted:

finding out that Fia has advantage on CHA this episode was disappointing for me because I felt like that running gag would get dropped once she stops getting unlucky rolls.

it's advantage on saves, not checks though, so she's still terrible at using social skills, just better at resisting magic

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 8, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Donkey posted:

I'm enjoying the narrative this campaign that all of the characters were weird antisocial misfits and their charisma stat reflects it. I thought it was fun that every time they'd try to make a goofy comment in a serious situation Murph immediately would ask for a charisma check which they'd inevitably fail, so finding out that Fia has advantage on CHA this episode was disappointing for me because I felt like that running gag would get dropped once she stops getting unlucky rolls. Even so, I can't actually imagine getting worked up about something like that enough to complain to the dungeon manager or accuse him of a sexist conspiracy to give advantages to a FEMALE. It's absolutely disgusting that they're made to feel like they have to respond to stuff like this and the people hassling them a week ago to put the episodes up faster.

I don't even play D'n'D, but if I ever do this campaign is making me realize that I'd want to create my character(s) to have at least one negative stat because being outright bad at something just seems much more fun and interesting from a role playing and even just mechanical perspective, because underpowering one stat allows you to beef up another just a bit more and make yourself really good at one thing in return for being bad at another. Which is a fair trade.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

eke out posted:

it's advantage on saves, not checks though, so she's still terrible at using social skills, just better at resisting magic

Oh, ok, that's totally fine with me then. If there's anything anyone can do about it, I'd like to also be wrong about them getting a bunch of unnecessary criticism from rear end in a top hat fans, please.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If it's any consolation I'm pretty sure Emily has been dealing with unnecessary and unfounded criticism from rear end in a top hat fans for several years at this point (I feel like they've mentioned such criticism occasionally on the short rest too), and has presumably found some way to deal with it in that time since it hasn't stopped her from playing, or changed her personality or style noticeably. It would be nice if it wasn't there at all, of course, but if it is then her being able to deal with it is about the best you can hope for.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

If it's any consolation I'm pretty sure Emily has been dealing with unnecessary and unfounded criticism from rear end in a top hat fans for several years at this point (I feel like they've mentioned such criticism occasionally on the short rest too), and has presumably found some way to deal with it in that time since it hasn't stopped her from playing, or changed her personality or style noticeably. It would be nice if it wasn't there at all, of course, but if it is then her being able to deal with it is about the best you can hope for.

I think that at one point it was getting so bad that she considered leaving. I don't know if it's something they talked about on a short rest or somewhere else, but it came up when the facebook group was organizing that "appreciate axford" thing they did on twitter.

Basically,

https://twitter.com/vornietom/status/1232157731030589441?s=20

As fanbases get bigger, they always get worse, it sounds like NADDPOD is getting to that threshold. The group seems mature enough to handle it at least

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well that's depressing. On the other hand, the few times I have seen such comments (since I don't use social media and rarely look at comments on other sites) they haven't even bothered with the faux politeness of "no offense but...", and have been a lot more aggressively impolite so that seems like a very tiny and unimportant step up.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Having listened to the latest episode, it bears repeating that Murph is great at making voices you hate based purely on the way they talk. The elder Fenrose was instantly detestable just for the breathy shout voice he used.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Emily instantly hating him was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Emily's episode of Adventuring Academy is up on YouTube now, for anyone interested.