Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
At first I thought Jabari was just getting worked up because he’s missed his friends and being in action, but nope, I think he’s just straight up bloodthirsty. I’ve enjoyed Lou in other things I’ve seen him in but he is absolutely killing it as Jabari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Neorxenawang posted:

This is pretty much the only actual play podcast I listen to where the off weeks aren't a little disappointing. D&D Court is almost more fun than the main campaign.

I also really enjoy 8-Bit Book Club.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sankara posted:

I also really enjoy 8-Bit Book Club.

Yeah there’s a whole backlog of those to look forward to if you haven’t listened yet. Weird that they haven’t had Jake on for the reboot, I hope he decides to guest some day

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I love how, no matter the campaign, if Murph’s NPC is from the north, they have a Russian accent.

gently caress you, I love you, eat a rat.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

he’s the guy who’s thinking about maybe getting into cake

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

jake should be ashamed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LMSDzuU67Y

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

So Murph put out a big red ‘F around and find out’ button and Beverly can’t stop himself from pressing it huh.

C1Ep 42 even when he tried to do a nice little post-combat burial ceremony he almost summoned the purple worm.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Very strong "everyone annoys Murph" energy this Dungeon Court. Very funny. I have also seen Jurassic Park.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bard Maddox posted:

he’s the guy who’s thinking about maybe getting into cake

Oh…cake man. I’ve heard of him I think. He should go on 8BBC sometime

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sankara posted:

Very strong "everyone annoys Murph" energy this Dungeon Court. Very funny. I have also seen Jurassic Park.

I was impressed that they hit 'middle of the Short Rest' levels of goofing around by about case 2

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I finished Lou’s guest arc, I’m pumped Caldwell is back…but please tell me this isn’t the last we hear of the Hexbuds.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TL posted:

I finished Lou’s guest arc, I’m pumped Caldwell is back…but please tell me this isn’t the last we hear of the Hexbuds.

im sorry you have to find out this way.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sankara posted:

Yeah this was a wild one. Very good.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am a smapphire.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was impressed to learn in the most recent short rest that the Gowan fight was made up on the spot and that Murph had something else planned for it. It felt so perfect, in that it was narratively significant and had real stakes, but was executed in the manner of two ball-breaking brothers having a backyard wrestling match, and it was all done in a way that was funny without feeling cheap. Hell yeah Murph and Jake

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I was impressed to learn in the most recent short rest that the Gowan fight was made up on the spot and that Murph had something else planned for it. It felt so perfect, in that it was narratively significant and had real stakes, but was executed in the manner of two ball-breaking brothers having a backyard wrestling match, and it was all done in a way that was funny without feeling cheap. Hell yeah Murph and Jake

Yeah, between these reveals, and Caldwell pointing out the thematic appropriateness of Calder being strategic in the face of Gowan's physical superiority, the short rest this time really enhanced my enjoyment of what was already a loving fantastic episode.

Also, a DM who rolls with "oh boy, what the gently caress am I going to do now" moments as well as Murph does is a rare treasure

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Between Zirk knocking himself out by licking fire and then getting beaten up and robbed by the Deepfolk kids, I just listened to Caldwell have an all-timer of an episode.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

:love: the short rest anecdote of Caldwell's first introduction to one of Murph's friends being stone cold stunnering him

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

TL posted:

Between Zirk knocking himself out by licking fire and then getting beaten up and robbed by the Deepfolk kids, I just listened to Caldwell have an all-timer of an episode.

If memory serves, there was a subsequent conversation during the short rest about whether Zirk was a victim or if he'd brought it all on himself, and they concluded that he was a victim of Caldwell

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

docbeard posted:

If memory serves, there was a subsequent conversation during the short rest about whether Zirk was a victim or if he'd brought it all on himself, and they concluded that he was a victim of Caldwell

Yes, I was literally just listening to that conversation on my way in to work today. It was a delightful little diversion.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Yall this a really great podcast

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Jeremor posted:

Yall this a really great podcast

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah it definitely defied the curse of being unable to bottle the lightning of a successful first season, it just gets better and better the more they do it. I imagine making enough money off it to not need day jobs helps, but then you have to assume the mcelroys must’ve been at that point ages ago too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah it definitely defied the curse of being unable to bottle the lightning of a successful first season, it just gets better and better the more they do it. I imagine making enough money off it to not need day jobs helps, but then you have to assume the mcelroys must’ve been at that point ages ago too

sure, but the mcelroys are talentless hacks

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think it might come down to the McElroy team doing so many podcasts and the naddpod team mostly just focused on one or two total. Gives them more time and space to really focus on good materials.

Also Murph is just a great DM (as are the rest of them) and the players are just excellent. All timers for any table and having 4 of them all working together is a treat

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Olanphonia posted:

I think it might come down to the McElroy team doing so many podcasts and the naddpod team mostly just focused on one or two total. Gives them more time and space to really focus on good materials.

Also Murph is just a great DM (as are the rest of them) and the players are just excellent. All timers for any table and having 4 of them all working together is a treat

I think I've mentioned it in both this thread and the McElroy thread, but it's also a huge difference in philosophy. There's been a few times where the McElroy's have talked about how they see the dice rolls as getting in the way of the storytelling sometimes (though apparently the newest season has gotten better?), whereas the NADDPOD crew have talked about the dice sometimes having their own story to tell and embracing the chaos that can bring

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

scary ghost dog posted:

sure, but the mcelroys are talentless hacks

well, at least one is

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Olanphonia posted:

Yeah that's true too; the Naddpod crew (or at least Emily and Murph at the beginning) have a lot of d&d experience and it's the focus of the show; iirc TAZ started as kind of a "hey we already have a show and an audience, what if we tried this d&d thing for content" and it got more popular than any of them expected.

naddpod also has a stronger foundational principle of "let's play d&d really well" that arcs across all the campaigns, it's hard to go wrong with that for the basis of an actual play podcast i guess

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think I've mentioned it in both this thread and the McElroy thread, but it's also a huge difference in philosophy. There's been a few times where the McElroy's have talked about how they see the dice rolls as getting in the way of the storytelling sometimes (though apparently the newest season has gotten better?), whereas the NADDPOD crew have talked about the dice sometimes having their own story to tell and embracing the chaos that can bring

The “dice getting in the way” was more of a Travis thing. His Graduation arc was a mess because he seemed like there was a full story he wanted to tell and D&D wasn’t the format for it (plus he had way, way too many NPCs). I remember Griffin saying he made huge changes to the plot of Balance based on choices and rolls the players made.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

what an absolute delight to wake up to a trinyvale oneshot

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Welcome to...Robotnik Plus

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

gently caress yeah and i start my shift tonight. Perfect timing.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if it wasnt confirmed before, this episode cements jens as the funniest character in any of the campaigns

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

this episode cements jens as the funniest character in any of the campaigns

always was

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just cackling every time he calls eggman dr harvey kintobor

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I was here for every bit of Dragonball Z nonsense wedged into this episode

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
My Patreon subscription has been validated by the Jan, Troy, and the tub brisket. That was hysterically funny. It felt like you’re in the Hot Date writer’s room.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I also can’t get over Zirk screwing up and referring to Hank’s son as Henry, what a wonderful little accident that made for a great scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TL posted:

My Patreon subscription has been validated by the Jan, Troy, and the tub brisket. That was hysterically funny. It felt like you’re in the Hot Date writer’s room.

They’ve done two full mixed bags of just weird hypotheticals recently, big recommend.