Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Just got out of the new york live show. It was fantastic, and I hope they post all of the live recordings they can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

+'s are general bonus. A +1 means that you get a +1 to hit, or roughly a 5% bonus. A +3 means that you get a +3 to hit. It's super rare to get one, and a bonus that high is where the math behind d&d's paper thin balance starts to break down. The Dwarven daddies are based on a very overpowered spell, I just think that hardwon's stats and Murph's encounters don't let them shine. Caldwell got an upgrade to his book, which Murph described it on the short rest, and will probably explain at the top of the next session.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I agree with both of the above posts. The reveal connected some weird loose ends, but it did so in a way that didn't really add another layer of complexity to the narrative. I think it would have worked better if it happened in the middle of a tense fight, instead of an Adventure Zone-esque tabletop cutscene.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It is. In fact, Murph did it during the nyc live show during their tour.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Every season of Dimension 20 is fantastic. Everyone should get a Dropout account and binge watch all of them.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Episode 1

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

I'm still catching up but I don't want to miss this while it's up, are there any major spoilers for events after the nine hells?

They make a lot of jokes about events that happen in the finale, and it is canonically set after the campaign so they can wrap up a loose end. It's difficult to say what would or wouldn't be a major spoiler to you, but there are technically a lot of spoilers in it. Personally, I would suggest watching it anyway if you want to see it.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I just tried to write an effort post explaining the plot of trinyvale, but I realized that I didn't understand anything by the time I reached the second sentence. It's a very fun adventure, but it's 100% character and goof focused.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I think Hardwon's strength and confidence and decisiveness is neat and everyone should want to be like Hardwon. The rest of the boobs are great and Murph is a fantastic DM but Hardwon really carries the show. More people should be like me--I mean him.

On a more serious note, I agree completely that Jake's growth is a large part of what made the first campaign so charming and fun. Emily and Caldwell are great, and I love that Bev and Moonshine started as such strong characters, but Jake's growing connection to the setting and his character made the whole campaign feel like it was personal, instead of just a performance. I'm a bit anxious that Campaign 2 might not have that same connection, but I'm optimistic that the gang can pull off an even better show now that they all have more experience in their respective roles.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Pretty sure it's just a Californian accent with a bit of uptalk.

Emily is a very good DM, and Hot Boy Summer was the perfect way to get one of my friends into NADDPOD. He started listening when the first Hot Boy Summer episode was released, and he's already listened through the end of the Crick arc in the main campaign.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Fia is a war domain cleric, which gives a bunch of martial abilities and proficiencies. It's also why she was able to attack using her bonus action. I think Emily will be able to come up with some fun combination of cleric and wizard spells, but I don't see how being a war domain cleric could lead to her being overpowered, other than giving her access to heavy armor and automatically preparing half of the standard cleric spells for dealing damage.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 17, 2020

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

tsob posted:

Well, on it's own I doubt it would. I meant if Bookvar, Philip and/or the other one whose name escapes me become familiars the same way Paw Paw did after a while. Which, I don't know enough to know how reasonable that is, really, but just seems like it could happen. As I should though, the same thing basically happened with Moonshine and never really felt like an issue, so I'm probably antsing over nothing.

Nah, it's a fair concern, especially after her character on a Crown of Candy was able to wipeout multiple battalions by combining sorcerer metamagic and cleric channel divinity while she rode around on her pet dragon. I can see Emily pulling off a couple clutch moves with her familiar. But, after level 5, she's not going to be able to do anything with it due to its low stats, and it will be forgotten like so many other familiars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

The bone claw mechanic was just making Alter Self work a bit faster for the podcast. The spell gives you natural weapons, which is something that's normally locked behind a racial feature, and the proficiency to use it. If you want to run the spell it Rules as Written you need to recalculate a character's new attack and damage rolls for attacking with their action and bonus action (because they now have access to two-weapon fighting with their new claw, and that bonus action attack has its own weirdness associated with it). Actually looking up those rules would slow down the podcast and would probably mean that Henry gets a bit weaker if he wanted to use the claws, due to not having access to his fighter's fighting style bonuses. Instead of having to go through the rules and figure out something that would just be disappointing, Murph ran it as having the same mechanics as +1 claymore, which is much easier to rule on in the moment, and is still a nice upgrade for Henry.

Also, Emily is an amazing player, both in terms of roleplay and character building. It's great seeing her work with her mechanics and come up with fun ways to use her unique characters.