Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm about halfway through Trinyvale and yeah, Caldwell is definitely running into all the usual inexperienced DM pitfalls but everyone is clearly having too much fun playing for that to matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Seluin posted:

DM Caldwell had Big Beverly Energy, and I abso-loving-lutely loved it.

Probably best as a single campaign, but sometimes I love frosting on top of my frosting.

Yeah I would not want every campaign to be like this but there is little I enjoy more in this sort of podcast than hearing people having an absolute blast with each other.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The plot of Trinyvale as I understand it:

IT'S A JAM TRAP, BROTHER!

also something something crystals

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is minorly weird being also named Brennan and reading these threads (and/or listening to NaddPodDontSingYet). I know most people go through "other person has the same name as me" all the time but I don't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I haven't regretted it even a little. they're often as funny as the normal episodes, and obviously the behind-the-screen insights into what could have happened if choices/dice rolls had happened differently can be really interesting.

The $5 tier also gives you ad-free episodes, which, considering how annoying some of the ads can be, would be worth it on its own

Yeah, I'd pay five bucks for the ad-free episodes on their own.

But yeah, the Short Rests are definitely worth it, especially if you like hearing the group just goofing around together and laughing themselves silly (which if you don't you're probably still not listening to NADDPod in the first place).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I really enjoy that the new world is basically an unresolved argument over whether to run a grimdark low-magic campaign or a wild and crazy magic fairyland one

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I love love love that (a) none of them have charisma worth a drat and (b) Murph keeps making them do charisma checks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

King Crab posted:

They just need to be smarter and not try to bluff or lie for absolutely no reason.

Fia Bonkigna 🤨

They also need to not roll 0s on their deception checks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

It seems like the core of his character is an absolute refusal to be happy so I don't think Henry is taking his living situation all that well

There's something actually kind of brilliant about Henry being genuinely depressed and traumatized and his friends not being able to see past "YOU LIVE WITH THE BARON" and "YOU HAVE A POOL".

Also, hahaha the "nice guy" ghost and "Not all ghosts are like that"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll be honest, I like Zac, and I like Emily (and her character was fantastic) and I like Siobhan and, um, the other dude who I don't know at all seemed cool, but that first episode completely failed to grab me. I may have been a bit distracted while I was listening though, so I may give it another shot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

The first episode is available for free on their Patreon (as in, you don't need to sign up or anything; just click play on the embedded player), if anyone wants to listen to it. I'll give it a listen myself at some point later, I'd imagine.

They also put it in the main NADDPod feed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tsob posted:

That said, Fia's was kind of hard to listen to, even short as it was, just because her small, child voice was so plaintive and the things happening so viscerally heart-rending.

Hearing Emily perform young Fia begging her father to drop the act because she'd learned her lesson, when her characters (at least the ones I've heard) are almost universally are the take-no-poo poo, laugh-in-the-face-of-danger, bring-it-on-c'mon sort was kind of amazing, and as you say, heart-rending.

e. They talk some about this in this week's Short Rest, which I will say again is absolutely worth both your time and your money if you enjoy this podcast at all.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 5, 2020

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

King Crab posted:

Next week's episode needs to be available now.

I'm stressing!

Yeah, I think this might be the cruelest "...AND THAT'S WHERE WE'LL END OUR SESSION" yet.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HONKPOD (+ Honkjacent Media) Honk - Honkpaign Honk honks Honk Honkth!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I was a bit worried the second season wouldn't hit the same groove the first did, but goddammit are they doin it. Murph is a gem of a DM and I wouldn't change the players for the world, except to add Zac. My only problem is I came into NADDPOD when it was already at 97 episodes so I've never had to wait a week before, It's killing me.

Yeah, by a similar token, I've never had to sit through a holiday break naturally on this podcast before.

(I'm compensating by listening to the Campaign Before The Campaign After The Campaign After The Campaign again.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

This current campaign, I believe. I don't think they've really settled on one yet.

I think they've settled on Choo Choo Crew but Murph refuses to accept it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm at the tail end of a relisten to Campaign 1, and the day I was able to switch fully back to the ad-free Patreon feed was a very good day.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think Nyaack was especially great as a solo character but the comedy duo of Nyaack and Jens was first-class (better than either of them would have been on their own)

Jake's character from Hot Boy Summer is the only one I really have any clear memory of.

Normally I'd be super annoyed at a guest turning up and completely overshadowing the regulars, but I think both Jake and Emily are strong enough performers that they held their own well enough even if neither of their characters got as much of a chance to shine, and more importantly they were all clearly having a lot of fun with it, which is probably the single most important thing in a performance like this to me.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Spritle has some potential for trapping them into more inconvenient Faerie Promises and Shank is pretty much the entire point of the class Jake is playing, and...gently caress it, I like Bookvar, but we're definitely running into the problem of having too many NPCs traveling with the party, and it does seem to be to the detriment of relationship-building between the actual PCs. (Though we're really not that many episodes into this campaign, it just feels like longer because of the Hexbuds interlude.)

I love the feel of Eldermourne as a place, and I like the characters in general, and I think there's plenty of time for it to all gel. (Their continued attempts to get to the bottom of Henry's curse is a good step in this direction.)

(I am not convinced we really needed two episodes of "roll a check to see if you can climb this stretch of mountain, okay, now roll a check to see if you can climb THIS stretch of mountain" though.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

eke out posted:

very excited for what im sure will be a gigantic mess in this trinivale one-shot

When they described it last week with "they're basically badguys at this point" I figured we were in for a treat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I believe the current rule is that they do 3 Eldermourne episodes per month and something else (which appears to be pretty much always D&D Court right now) the 4th week. In addition to:

Sankara posted:

Caldwell has a newborn.

it sounded like this was so that Murph could get a bit ahead in his prepwork for the campaign as it intensifies (especially since now the players are demanding an interlude where they get to play badguys and presumably we're gonna get more Hexbloods stuff with Lou at some point etc.)

And since there were 5 Fridays this month they also did the Trinyvale one-shot.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Real Goofing a God energy from Caldwell this week

My favorite moment from the Short Rest this week was their debate over whether Zirk was a victim or whether he'd brought everything on himself and they concluded that he was a victim of Caldwell.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Their reaction to the "metagaming" case was amazing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

timp posted:

Goddamn this last episode loving ruled. I’m a sucker for awakened undead civilizations and the hosed up poo poo they get into [see also: Eox in Starfinder] and Murph really outdid himself setting up the lore. I feel like this episode will have me hooked until the end. And Emily throwing a wrench in everything at the end?? I gasped out loud. Can’t wait to hear what happens next.

One of my favorite things about the show is how consistently Murph is surprised by his players, and particularly his wife, wanting to intervene in the tragic or just plain weird situations he sets up.

Also new temporary characters next week while the party's split!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like there's an editing mishap with the latest episode so we're getting a D&D Court this week and new Eldermourne next week.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I do wonder if he posited Zerk as someone who was perpetually underslept before or after he knew he was gonna be a father.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's spelled Zonk

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

But as for me and Blastin' Grandma, we believe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Per last night's Short Rest, sounds like Campaign 3 will be coming in roughly February.

Also sounds like they have plans to do more stuff in Eldermourne at some point.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Murph's talked a bit about why they chose to end Eldermourne when they did (I'm thinking in particular of him guesting on Three Black Halflings) and it was broadly that once they made the story about finding Irina, there was a limit to how long he felt like he could drag that out without it just becoming frustrating.

They've all said they want to do more Eldermourne stuff in the future, too.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The D&D Court bonus episodes are particularly fun because they have that already unhinged Short Rest energy as well as the completely unhinged D&D court energy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like they're going to be alternating between campaign episodes and 8-Bit Book Club/Dungeon Court episodes at least through the summer:

quote:

June Posting Schedule!
Hey, NADDpoles! Got a quick update for you all. We’re sticking with the same posting schedule from May for the rest of the Summer. Here’s what you have to look forward to in June!

Thursday (6/2) - C3 - Ep 12 / Short Rest

Thursday (6/9) - 8 Bit Book Club: Animorphs “The Invasion” / Animorphs Wiki Wander

Thursday (6/16) - C3 - Ep 13 / Short Rest

Thursday (6/23) - D&D Court / Bonus Cases

Thursday (6/30) - C3 - Ep 14 / Short Rest

We’ll continue this posting pattern of Campaign Ep / 8BBC / Campaign Ep / D&D Court from

then on.

Thanks for Listening! Thanks for Loving.

The 2 Crew

It's all entertaining stuff and it's probably hell trying to do weekly campaign episodes while they're touring so I'm certainly not complaining.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Unless by "juice" you mean "Arcane"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah right like I can afford the name brand stuff

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can't wait. The mainstream d&d court was already pretty heated, and this hot on the heels of the animorph spoilers scandal

You are not ready.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

radlum posted:

I love how everyone was clear on condemning FlamingHotCheeto; what a douche

The whole Flintstones talk was amazing.

I almost suspect that FlamingHotCheeto's case was constructed specifically to enrage all of them, except I've known players that were at least that terrible before.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

They made a podcast for a video game game game game.

And we made a game about that....podcast

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I wasn't super excited about this segment but I didn't realize that someone sent in an absolutely insane idea for throwing dice at other dice to change their rolls that was probably specifically tailor-made to appeal to Emily and enrage Murph.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

you're giving them way too much credit

Yeah, that level of thematic consistency might hold for the main feed but the Short Rest is just as likely to be halfway devoted to Murph getting very strident about his idea for a Fred Flinstone costume or them saying X can Clump! thirty seven times a minute.

(None of this is a complaint)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They promised DRAMA and they were not wrong.