Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Started listening to NADPODD around a year ago. The first arc was fantastic, but I lost steam after the drug city and Tonathon Tinkle-era episodes, and dropped it for a few months. Then I tried it again, and the show got really good for me up until around the Fey arc and I dropped it again. Then I got super into it again after picking it up and getting to the Vampire arc. From there, I experienced less problems with the campaign, and I'm now in the last few episodes and really enjoying it. Overall, I'd say that they're at their best when they're doing character humor and this is the only Actual Play where the combat is entertaining to me. Other thoughts:

-I love Caldwell Tanner's work. He seems like a sweet dude, and he started out as my favorite person on the podcast along with Emily. But in the end, I think I loved Jake the most. He found a lot of good comedy beats with his character, and it was Hardwon lines that actually got me to snort and laugh the hardest in the last third or so of the campaign.

-Am I dumb for losing track of NPCs? Murph would occasionally be like "it's none other than Gububriel," and the players would all audibly gasp, and I would have no recollection of the character. It may have something to do with the breaks I took or the fact that I never listened to any of the Short Rests (I've wanted to, I just haven't). I also had trouble with drifting out when Murph would get really dramatic and lose track of the story, but that may just be my actual adult ADHD.

-I think I really like this balance of how they handle combat versus story. Murph's combat seems challenging with cool gimmicks without getting too into guaranteed-wins like TAZ Balance or some of Critical Role's sloggier encounters. If I could pick a DM from any of that podcasts I've listened to that I'd like to actually personally play for, I think it'd be Murph.

-The side episodes are fantastic, as well as the Trinnyvale stuff they put in between Campaign 1 episodes (I know they go deeper into it after the finale). I had to stop listening to the Yugo episode at work and finish it later at home because I was always on the verge of busting up in front of my co-workers as the episode started degrading. I really like that they were able to go so off-script when so many podcasts are afraid to go to far off the tracks even in non-canon episodes.

-NADDPOD has probably the best guest characters of any of the casts I've listened to.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

A little grim or dark is fine. The problem comes when 4 or more people start fighting for the limelight when not one of them is actually a good writer (see the last two TAZ campaigns or even the sloggier episodes or stretches of Critical Role).

EDIT:

But "Say the word, and it's a crop-top" has been an invasive line in my head since I heard it.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 12, 2020

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Made it through the first campaign. Overall, I liked it. It was cool to hear a playthrough that was casual in terms of roleplay and world-building but still had actual stakes for the players, and I think that's kind of a unique niche among the "bigger" actual play casts.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'm partway through Trinyvale, and it is unmistakably a world made by Caldwell Tanner. Just like the first campaign, Jake is stealing the show for me. Hardwon, Nyack, and Henry all kind of have these solid springboards that Jake uses to come up with great character humor. He and Emily are good at feeding improv at Murph so that Murph can play the straight man really well.