Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I was waiting to sub to this thread until I caught up on all the Bahumia episodes of the podcast, and now I've done that (and also just got home from the Boston live show). What a great podcast this is, it has such an electric energy. I haven't pulled the trigger on subscribing to the patreon yet, since I had so many episodes to listen to, but at some point I'm probably going to go back and listen to them all again with the accompanying short rests.

I really can't hear that Kid Cudi song the same way ever again, or roll a 2 like a normal person in my own D&D game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theCalamity posted:

You should also listen to the Trinyvale campaign with Caldwell as the DM. It's also really good

Oh yeah, I've been listening to those too, it's a lot of fun. I adore the complex web of high/low status between the characters, where Nyack and Onyx look up to Jens, no matter how mean he is to them, but in reality he's a loser slob and all of the compliments are just burns. It's rare for someone's character choice of "ugh, i hate my teammates" to work well, but I like how they flipped it around and made it funny.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

I'd like to once again praise Murph for making each chapter distinct and memorable.

Right now it's Mad Max in Hell and that's about the most badass thing imaginable.

A lot of d&d streams are doing that right now, I think the wotc are pushing their latest adventure and partnering with popular groups. I hope Murph is getting a slice of that pie and isn’t just giving it away for free, but if there was a partnership he’d probably have mentioned it by now

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

Yeah, Avernus/Baldur's Gate(?) was their last big stream event. I only watched the sections with Alex Lee and the McElroy's in it, and between them they really ruined a lot of True Roleplayers's days. It was gorgeous.

Joe Manganiello was not prepared.

I’m still a little bitter that they didn’t put Alex in the McElroy group; that stream was such a beautiful clusterfuck that she would have had much more fun in, she kind of stuck out in the one she was in

It was worth it for starting off the adventure by patting a roc on the beak and then eating a reaction attack as she comically backed away though

I hope naddpod gets to do some official wotc stuff, if they haven’t already. They have a good sized audience, they sold a lot of seats in a good-sized theater for the Boston show. Not quite sold out but a good showing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

He mentions it explicitly in the short rest but I think that the big thing that cut the legs out from that fight was that it hinged mostly on two difficult monsters, and Emily immediately took both of them out of the fight with a single spell

And regarding the latter thing, it’s a recurring gag that I love about this podcast; whenever murph tries to set up a sinister villain, they just dunk on them until they become vaguely goofy and likeable. I guess the entire concept of hell works the same way. Thiala is still pretty serious but they haven’t had a chance to really talk to her yet

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

On the other hand, the entire cast deserve a thorn for the several minutes they spent in the latest short rest directly addressing the viewer and making an awkward, extended joke about being big men on the internet who'll own you if you criticize them; the start of which was played too straight to be comic despite their intentions, and which just rolled on and on and on.

Eh, I thought it was funny :shrug:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m listening to the most recent trinivale episode and as a fellow d&d newbie, it is cathartic to watch jake learn what spells do for the first time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’d be curious to see tomb of horrors; I only know it by reputation, and the one TAZ live show where they played it as a goof. Since Emily and Caldwell are so good at d&d (not to knock Jake, but the other two really are very experienced), I’d be curious to see what that dungeon is like with a team that’s actually trying.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's gotta be hard to be a DM, especially for a format like this where you're doing it for an audience; you don't want to make the fights facerolls, but if you overcompensate too much, you murder the entire party and then, I guess, that's just the end of the story?

That said, I have never DM'd or been in a party that TPK'd, so maybe it's all not as bad as I imagine.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have the dumbest, pettiest pet peeve about naddpod that nobody should listen to: I don't like that they say "core four" when "four corps" is right there

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

bowmore posted:

i loving love Pendegreens

I lost it at ”...you didn’t even have to cast the spell”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m usually a freeloader when it comes to podcasts, but I have no regrets about where my $5 a month is going

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can’t stop thinking about how good that donkey Kong one shot was. So many highlights:

murph trying to somberly explain donkey Kong lore and cracking up because it’s too ridiculous

Jake accidentally usurping the throne, and within minutes, devastating the entire society

Balnor making GBS threads himself and then getting disintegrated

My only thorn is that we didn’t get to see funky word: kill

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Agreed that the most recent episode is a motherfucker of a cliffhanger, but I would also like to add how floored I am by Emily's "seven beers" joke in the most recent Trinyvale

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

Murph attempting to play a high status character and have him rapidly descend into the saddest most low status character has been incredible

It's really clever yeah, Emily and Jake build on it so well. They consistently keep acting like they look up to him, but everything they say just reveals his character to be more and more pathetic and totally at the mercy of the whims of these characters who are presumably lower status than him.

Not Operator posted:

I'm still one hundred percent hanging after every episode the main campaign but I'm like.. seven episodes behind on Trinyvale? I've listened to the one after the livestreams twice and taken literally no information in. I have no explanation. I don't think I dislike it or anything.

It's much harder to follow the plot, I think. The monthly release schedule makes it hard to keep up, and the tone of it is even looser and goofier than the bahumia campaign, so it's difficult to track the plot beats between all the butterfinger BB gags

That said, it's extremely funny, and I mostly tune into this podcast to laugh, so I'm here for all of it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Zac Oyama is really loving funny

I mean everyone on the show is, obviously, but he really does it for me for some reason. The way he just perfectly leaned into the Erlin drama was perfect comedic timing and delivery, he couldn't have known that was going to happen

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I really loved his delivery in the previous episode where the boobs try to get him away from his professor responsibilities and he just goes "oh thank god"

That and his initial arc where they're doing the one big bed chant or something and he's like "wait, what's going on?"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I just started the latest episode, and I can't tell if it's that Emily is just that smart, or if she's just completely inside Brian's head, or both, but I love how she figured out his Balnor twist in the beginning literally before he could even finish his sentence and started yelling at him before he could even confirm or deny that she was right

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I couldn’t quite bring myself to cry because she was talking to a possum and that’s still very funny to me

Same issue with the pendergreens scene, because murph’s voice for that character is too funny for me to get sad at

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 21, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

myron cope posted:

The Donkey Kong one shot was good also

That was fantastic, but you don’t have to be at the $10 tier to get it. I forget if it’s free or a $5 reward.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

this is ridiculous

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Man, you can really feel dice christ's presence in this latest episode, it's a good one.

I also appreciate that Murph made up a lore-appropriate reason to make it so that you can't just resurrect people, that seems like a weird thing with D&D. You want the stakes to be high in the endgame, but that also seems to be the point where the players have access to the most options that make death meaningless

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope we get a full episode of them playing the Bahumia equivalent of gwent

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's strong out of the gate imo and there is a persistent story arc (and more importantly, an evolving meta layer of fun that comes out of the way that one of the players behaves that's going to be more rewarding if you start from the beginning).

That said, if for some reason season 1 isn't grabbing you, I'd recommend jumping ahead to season 2 and see if that does it; the production quality gets a bit better, and season 2 is when they introduce another PC to the group, which strengthens the ensemble (although criminally, ben jenkins is largely absent from like the first 5 episodes of season 2, and I think he's a big part of what makes the show so funny).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I have time

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think I'm a little confused how much of Dimension 20 is available without subscribing to dropout. Can I start with episode 1 of Fantasy High on youtube and watch that whole arc straight through to the finale, or does that go behind a paywall at some point? It seems like d20 has multiple arcs going on and as someone who came in near the finale I'm a little overwhelmed by what it all is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Is season 2 the last season of fantasy high or does it continue off youtube somewhere after that?

I found this playlist, but it goes from episodes neatly titled "Fantasy high episode x" to "Dimension 20 live" and i can't tell if that's everything or not. I know they finished with an insane 8-hour live feed, I assume it must be that?

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDgUykm7H72w4-aCWNuvZVNhJxrmWdhgm

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Not Operator posted:

Basically, seasons 1 through 5 are all different things. Season 1 has a sequel (D20 Live/Fantasy High Sophmore Year) that was streamed and is not a numbered season, and directly follows on from the end of season 1, albeit without the high production values of a 'proper' season. Miniatures and battlefields and such.

They haven't said if they're going to do more D20 Live, but given what happened to collegehumor, I think most of us are surprised they even finished this story.

Ah ok; I was getting confused about the concept of a "season" but I think this clarifies it, thank you.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m still catching up, only on episode 98. I was literally holding my breath awaiting the fate of balnor

Also lol that after that thick sode they spent the first 5 minutes of the short rest bullshitting about frozen 2 spoilers and josh gad. Murph, you spicy little rat binch

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

They go into detail how they’d ruin the last ep on the Short Rest and it’s so funny

https://twitter.com/chmurph/status/1256343689409912832?s=21

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Stream is up now https://www.twitch.tv/naddpod

the chat is definitely a twitch chat

e: it is apparently 3.5 hours long so uh plan your night accordingly. i may just wait for the podcast actually

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 10, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

AND THEN 285 DAMAGE NEXT ROUND

murph: "she's upset, i'm upset"

i'm going to kill you

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

walls up

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I told myself I was just gonna tune in for the intro and wait until later for the podcast but, well, here we are

love that ending for balnor. He only existed by pure chance and then he gets to put the emotional bow on the whole drat season. So glad he didn't die

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think i'm a little too old to follow a chat of that size but I am glad to see that they were able to get such a huge following, they deserve it. I hope the core four never has to get a day job for the rest of their lives if they don't want to.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve never played level 20 d&d but are fighters supposed to be that strong? I was under the impression people disliked them compared to magic classes but that was ridiculous.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You gotta keep it light

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

Has anyone totalled up Hardwon's damage yet and/or checked what it is as a percentage of Thaila's hitpoints? Or checked how many crits he got in the space of what...4 rounds? 5? Because that was just...wow. Everyone's incredulity at the damage he was outputting was great. As was the fact Moonshine's entire plan basically boiled down to "prop Hardwon up so he can keep pouring out damage, then make sure Thiala can't heal any of it". The fact she engineered the second part using a cantrip was wild, even to a non-D'n'D player like me. Murph's response to Jake's second round just being "Thiala is upset. I'm upset. I hate you" was great too.

As crazy as Hardwon's damage was, I feel like they would have had a hard time without it, wouldn't they? Even with the crit blender in full force, a lot of the party spent a lot of time being down; there was even a point where it was just Bev still standing, I think. I wonder how the fight would have gone if he hadn't had such insane luck with the dice. Although Emily did say she built her strategy around letting Hardwon do his thing; she's obviously extremely good at D&D and might have come up with a different plan if they didn't a player capable of doing Rian Murphy levels of damage on hand.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It's a perfect encapsulation of the show. Making the absurd touching. Completely blows The Adventure Zone out of the water, quite frankly.

Yeah this show took everything I liked about season 1 of TAZ and just sort of...did it better. I hope that doesn't come off as accusing it of being derivative, it's just more of a compliment of them nailing the vibe.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 11, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

the most amazing thing about this campaign is that Balnor was just a joke character pulled from the deck of many things

I can't stop thinking about that yeah. The odds of him even existing are super low, and because of the nature of how he came to be, murph couldn't possibly have been prepared to come up with a personality for him in advance of the episode, he just pulled out a goofy dad persona on the spot. And then from that he goes on to become one of the most beloved characters on the show.

I bet murph pulled some punches to give him at least a little bit of plot armor at some point; i feel like I remember them saying around the time he was born that because he's just some slightly underleveled fighter, the odds of him surviving for very long weren't good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

yeah i think murph did what any good storyteller would do and immediately gave her a bunch more hit points lol

That spicy little rat

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 11, 2020