Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

between this and GDPR and all the various hatespeech legislation they're trying to shut the internet down wholesale by removing all the terrible parts of it that are all of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

My understanding was, news websites wanted to be linked to, because that means people going to their news website, reading their content, and potentially seeing their ads. This change will result in them being linked to less, ostensibly for their benefit. Something doesn't add up.

ad impressions are an incredibly poo poo revenue model (especially now that you can't just jack your audience's information and sell it to whoever) that only gets used because if you try to charge anything for your work directly some aggregator will steal it and republish it for ad impressions and everyone will just go there instead. albeit that's a moot point since Article 13 makes any kind of other engagement with customers illegal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if Google stops being a pretty much comprehensive one-stop shop for absolutely everything Google is extremely hosed. the Zagreb Sun-Times will definitely get hosed first but the Zagreb Sun-Times is already hosed, there is nothing you can do that affects the status quo in any way whatever that won't hurt a bunch of little mom and pop shops more than any megacorp in the short term, up to and including dropping a JDAM on the Googleplex.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 12, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

LGD posted:

That's probably how it'll continue to go I assume- if Google doesn't have access to everything it services don't work as well, but what is replacing it? Its competitors aren't going to be doing better, and most things not listed on Google may as well not exist for many people. Its possible people will go directly to their large, traditional paper in lieu of Google/Yahoo news or whatever, but if they don't play ball its more likely they'll get supplanted over time with new sources who do.

I'm sure Google wants those news organizations, but the news organizations in question are going to feel a lot more damage for being delisted than Google will for delisting them.

it seems like an attempt to roll the Internet back to the AOL era where instead of like two massive corporations that effectively own the internet and everything on it it's a bunch of smaller shittier providers of more niche interests.

it doesn't really matter if the news providers universally consent to give Google a freebie. if Google has to ask permission from each and every website that could possibly be described as a press publication before listing them they're back to being fuckin Altavista, worse, they're like one of those creative commons wikis, and their leverage to demand anything from anyone will be gone within a few years. Google is crazy aggressive about hanging onto every stupid link to some sixteen-year-old's poetry site that they're not straight up legally required to take down because they have to be the all-seeing eye or there's nothing that distinguishes them from any other search bar.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 12, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the totally badass action hero comeback I'd say if I was a monopoly trying to flex nuts on an entire continent's soverignty

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's literally the opposite of that and makes it incredibly hard if not impossible to run any kind of large-scale business online

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah google would lose a lot of money pulling out of europe, but it'd be pretty funny to see how little power the EU has over them if they continue aggregating european news from overseas. What are they gonna do, arrest random european google employees?

i think alphabet inc. deciding to abruptly switch to the Pirate Bay/Wikileaks business model out of petulance would probably remove the need to "do" much of anything about them.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 12, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

Piracy and counterfeiting of this nature has always existed and people have always been mad about it but there's ultimately nothing to be done about media piracy of this nature

They can do nothing about it but become increasingly mad and piss everyone off so they just do that

piracy is already illegal a bunch of times over, this is about using the existing framework of IP law to abolish web crawlers and comment sections, because the post-2000 Internet was a mistake

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 12, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blade Runner posted:

Europe has a massive amount of relatively severe problems but as long as retards from there get to smugly sit back and say "well, AMERICA" they will never have to actually engage with them

if that ever wears out they'll just get right back to genociding each other and won't have to deal with it either, so really, win-win for Europe

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Nice combo of racism and being hopelessly disingenuous. I love the way you specified being shot in the US as opposed to being raped to glide over the fact that you are statistically less likely to be raped in Germany than America even with all the scary refugees.

Nice try dumdum. Maybe do a little research next time? Then you'd know Germans barely have guns so they stab you with their cicks, and Americans barely have dicks so they rape you with their guns

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Stabbatical posted:

Wait, is the filter from Article 13 needed or not? The OP's linked story says it is, but the BBC story on it says the Parliament "watered down" the filter proposals, which sounds like they may not be needed but it's not clear.

The actual language of the proposal seems pretty unequivocal on mandating a magic copyrighted content detector that doesn't actually exist right now, but that one's dated 2016 and hosed if I can decipher whether there's an amended version somewhere. It's also wonky as hell in other ways, my not-a-Belgian-lawyer reading of how this is supposed to work without sorcery is that copyright holders are expected to provide copies of their work to everyone who owns a forum? Every copyright software peovider? And then it's on them to Tineye every piece of media anyone posts

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 13, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

EorayMel posted:

So, anybody wanna talk about memes and copyrights?

Do try to keep up, we've moved on to getting schooled by the wise man on how UN fluoride in the water made Groyper gay

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ya don't get to be rich by paying for movies you mug

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i fail to see how this legislation will do anything to stop the Arabs from stealing our white women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

YagotmeIdidit posted:

I thought traditional media finally got to grips with the internet, and is the reason it's so crap now?

they're the ones breathlessly posting some Bulgarian teen's tweets about pizzagate as "anonymous sources" and declaring everything else fake news yeah

• Locked thread