Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Wait so are they going to stop selling the SE or are they just not refreshing it?

If they're getting rid of it I might actually pick one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

EpicNemesis posted:

3D Touch is a requirement for me so I can easily move the cursor around while typing. I hate not being able to do this on my iPad.

Wait did the original X not have 3D Touch? Seriously?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Durzel posted:

Apple could take a stand a not sell their products in Russia if they felt strongly about it? An extreme measure, and they'd take a financial hit, but it seems disingenuous to quietly remove something you're supposedly behind because not removing might make things a bit difficult for you in that country, or eat into your bottom line.

What I guess I'm saying is that Apple's LGBT support is tokenistic because it only extends to where it is safe and financially prudent for them to do so. Apple of all companies, with the market cap they have, have the power to take a real stand.

Also to the wider point of danger - sure it would be dangerous for people to wear a Pride band on their wrist in Russia, or at least more so than most countries, but standing up for what you belief in often is dangerous. You can't stop being LGBT in your essence because your government doesn't agree with it.

I don't really expect Apple to be some kind of vanguard for LGBT rights though. It would be nice if they were, but they clearly aren't that way inclined.

It's a business and as such they're going to do what nets them the most money. The way I see it all these companies are scrambling to appeal/advertise/accept the LGBT market because it's insanely profitable to do so, honestly if it weren't we probably wouldn't have these pride bands...

I'm cynical AF but you're a fool if you think a multinational corp really gives a poo poo about you or the values you hold close.

blah blah blah Corporations are amoral - lets please change the subject.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Electric Bugaloo posted:

As a former middle school science teacher and academic adviser who has done curriculum building and “tech based teaching” with a partner who currently teaches high school science and SpEd, I can think of like a million good uses for a small, cheap, WiFi-only smartphone/pocket computer with a robust software ecosystem and lots of sensors and gizmos. Chromebooks are great too and I’ve used them in the classroom extensively but they’re totally different beasts. There are a lot of applications for where something small like a Touch would be super useful. Basically 80% of what Apple is trying to encourage teachers to use the iPad for could be done just as well or, often, much better and more flexibly with something like a modernized iPod Touch.

For starters they can be used to make films and art/multimedia projects in ways that Chromebooks are clunky for. You can network them and use them to do stuff that often requires special equipment- even something as simple as iclicker-style classroom response stuff, and be flexible and creative about it. If Apple wanted to take a blow at TI’s calculator monopoly, they could advertise existing/help make better graphing calculator and science apps. This would be especially cool if they incorporated some VRkit-capable hardware and allowed kids to use them for stuff like data collection or measurement. The same goes for the hardware already there (accelerometer, etc). It would be especially helpful if Apple created an easy application builder for teachers to put together lesson-specific or novel apps for their own use. I feel like there’d be a lot of potential with it.

Also- kind of a digression, but you’d be surprised at the number of (predominantly low income) families that have a bunch of smartphones as the exclusive computing platform in the house. I got many papers and even PowerPoint presentations that were made on phones.

Yeah I've noticed that a lot of people are exclusively using their smartphones these days. For a lot of people a computer doesn't really add a lot of utility to their lives now that they can do pretty much everything from their smartphone.

Also I remember being really frustrated in college that I had to spend $100 or whatever on an iClicker because it felt so unnecessary and tacked on. At the time I just thought it was a product that was designed to just milk money out of educational institutions/students while providing no real educational benefit. Maybe I'm just really cynical but there's a reason most college kids draw a d on the remote so it say DiCLicker.

• Locked thread