Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Anttifa

1. (9) Tyler Seguin (Dal - C)
2. (24) Vladimir Tarasenko (StL - RW)
3. (41) Mitchell Marner (Tor - RW)
4. (56) Antti Raanta (Ari - G)
5. (73) Mike Smith (Cgy - G)
6. (88) John Carlson (Was - D)
7. (105) Jonathan Huberdeau (Fla - LW)
8. (120) Zach Werenski (Cls - D)
9. (137) Tyson Barrie (Col - D)
10. (152) Bo Horvat (Van - C)
11. (169) Nolan Patrick (Phi - C)
12. (184) Tyler Johnson (TB - C,RW)
13. (201) Jake Gardiner (Tor - D)
14. (216) Nick Schmaltz (Chi - C,LW)
15. (233) Jakub Vrana (Was - LW,RW)
16. (248) Tyler Bozak (StL - C)
17. (265) Jeff Petry (Mon - D)
18. (280) Will Butcher (NJ - D)
19. (297) Jesse Puljujarvi (Edm - RW)
20. (312) Micheal Ferland (Car - RW)
21. (329) Jaroslav Halak (Bos - G)
22. (344) Gustav Nyquist (Det - RW)
23. (361) Chris Wagner (Bos - C,RW)

I usually make a point of going in on centres and goalies in LSL and this year I did the opposite. Also I was called away for a minute and ended up with Tyson Barrie. I don’t hate it but I’ve been happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Keeper Tom Wilson making immediate impacts.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
the Tom Wilson Tax is big this year drat

genki
Nov 12, 2003
With my incredible foresight and keen fantasy skills, I somehow ended up with Wilson across three pools. :cool:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
next year i want to try the rover goaltending method of "who's playing carolina"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
8 goals tonight losing 7-4

my body is ready

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

God drat first week of the year is gonna kill me lol

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Gibson/Lundqvist looking as good as can be through their first two starts

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

way to bench lehner you dumb gently caress :negative:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teemu Pokemon posted:

way to bench lehner you dumb gently caress :negative:

same, except way to count on yahoo to actually dress lineups using "start active players"

genki
Nov 12, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

same, except way to count on yahoo to actually dress lineups using "start active players"
Haha I had McDavid benched in one league because of that. I forget which one. Maybe HHL.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
yeah it has no intelligence and is completely useless

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

I’m glad the only reason i’m winning right now in LSL is Dartmouth Ferries has Too Many Goalies and markstrom/anderson are ruining Campbell’s ridiculous stats

i’m running the always successful 2 and a half goalies technique, gonna be fun worrying about goalie starts in the future if i end up winning this week...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I hate my stupid LOLHL mostly autodrafted team but I guess thats what happens when you miss the draft. It's not hopeless but it's also...not great.

HHL team is predictably doing fine in skater/offensive categories but Jones and Bobrovsky haven't been good for me so far and Toe Knee has played like 4 different goalies due to injury so I'm losing all those stats. JVR needs to officially be on IR already so I can pick someone up though.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Week one ends tonight right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
yeah. week one of NHL fantasy is always bizarre.

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Yeah I feel like this first fantasy week has been weirder than most. Hopefully things start to stabilize soon. Which is to say, hopefully my players do better and everyone else's do worse.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

H2H is weird. It doesn't matter if my GAA is 1.50 or 3.50 for the week, as long as it's lower than my opponent's and I get the category win. It not only leaves a lot to chance by going week to week but if one team has a 3.75 GAA and their opponent 3.80 and wins the week, but I have a 1.95 GAA and my opponent has an even better week and goes 1.90, I get the loss, even though my goaltending that week was worlds better than the guy who won his category. It's why I like ROTO - you get to see who the actual better overall teams are throughout the year.

Am I missing something? I am enjoying the league no doubt but I don't understand the love for H2H. What are the advantages?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Anyway, thank you Henrik Lundqvist and John Gibson for a stellar first week.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

fawning deference posted:

H2H is weird. It doesn't matter if my GAA is 1.50 or 3.50 for the week, as long as it's lower than my opponent's and I get the category win. It not only leaves a lot to chance by going week to week but if one team has a 3.75 GAA and their opponent 3.80 and wins the week, but I have a 1.95 GAA and my opponent has an even better week and goes 1.90, I get the loss, even though my goaltending that week was worlds better than the guy who won his category. It's why I like ROTO - you get to see who the actual better overall teams are throughout the year.

Right but, like, thats how real hockey works? Pittsburgh could win a game 7-6 and its the same amount of points in the standings as LA shutting out the Coyotes or whatever. I can see that it's not "fair" that you had better goaltending than a team in another game but you lost and they didn't, but you weren't playing that team. Thems the breaks.

I find H2H is better for both casual and deep leagues, the emphasis is on the overall strength of your roster since you're trying to win specific categories not ride the hot hand week to week. There's not quite as much tinkering around. ROTO is a lot of playing the waiver wire and the format tends to massively overrate goalies unless your league specifically chooses to nerf them.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Perhaps it is how real hockey works but it still undermines the idea of drafting the best most balanced team - I agree that ROTO has too much waiver wire streaming but not if you limit the amount of transactions teams can make.

Maybe it's more fun to hope your guys have a good week but I think it does more to make it possible that mediocre teams win if they get good matchup week to week. You could statistically have the best overall team in the league but have a losing record because of bad luck and matchup week to week, and that flaw is a lot deeper and more difficult to fix than ROTO's flaws.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

I just looked at the number of player drops/pickups from other teams compared to mine, :lol: holy hell. i have 2

I am Confident in My Team

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I have none

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am still holding onto Necas because I Believe In Cheap Keepers Who Won't Help This Year (tm)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
roto is boring as gently caress and the best teams still statistically win out if you look at the totals at the end of the year, it's just more spicy

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Roto also means that 3/4 of teams will check out before the season is over.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

roto is boring as gently caress and the best teams still statistically win out if you look at the totals at the end of the year, it's just more spicy

If there is a strong correlation of the best teams statistically being among the best in H2H then that makes me feel better about it. I just am considering fairness in terms of who the best performing teams are rather than leaving it to the volatile luck of the draw week to week.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

I am still holding onto Necas because I Believe In Cheap Keepers Who Won't Help This Year (tm)

I'm holding onto Yamamoto because he had a good preseason but lol Edmonton and I'll probably have to drop him soon if he doesn't turn it around

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Palmieri is my hero

genki
Nov 12, 2003
Personally I find that roto is just an entirely different game altogether. At least for the roto league I was in (once), the overall roto season had a limited number of starts (per position?). So while it made sense to start the best players, depending on your team, you could run out of starts at the end of the season, so you might need to selectively keep players benched to make sure you can keep up with teams near the end of the season. The other aspect of roto is that it's continuous and there's no real end point. You don't win or lose any particular week, you're just... there. In a bunch of other standings.

I enjoy having week-to-week matchups with individual other teams. The challenge is to build a team that can consistently compete each week. The variability of week-to-week player performance makes the format more interesting, IMO. Luck can affect your overall standings, but generally skilled teams will win at the end.

Anyhow, the strategy and involvement of H2H compared to roto are so different that I don't think I would compare the two. They each have pros and cons.

One thing that I really enjoy is the challenge of flipping close categories at the end of the week. Sometimes around the weekend, you'll make a few strategic waiver wire moves for specific categories that are close. It can be a lot of fun, IMO...

It was a lot easier to be more closely involved when I wasn't across the ocean. Ah well.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

really love my start in LSL, two weeks in and I've gotten a shutout both weeks, only to have my opponent get one the next night

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

poo poo i’m praying they start dubnyk 2 nights in a row or i’m hosed for goalies this week

maybe sj starts dell :kingsley:

(i don’t think rittich is getting a single fukken game this year)

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm Jim Benning-ing it up in fantasy so far this year. 13th in HHL and 15th in LSL.

There's only one way out of this....more grit.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Is there a reason as to why Marincin is owned so heavily in Yahoo leagues?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Is there a reason as to why Marincin is owned so heavily in Yahoo leagues?

I think his pre draft ranking was set really high though I don't know why that is. Guessing it was an error by Yahoo, but the hilarious result is he's been auto drafted by a poo poo load of teams.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Marincin was ranked #82 or something pre-draft so anybody that missed their draft probably ended up with him, and a huge amount of those teams get abandoned so no drops

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Also Yahoo’s rankings are garbage to the point of parody

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Course I bench Hornqvist and he goes 2g 1a. Ooops

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bobrovsky and Jones need to stop getting lit up, then my HHL team would be perfect. Pastrnak and Matthews are killing it and Laine will heat up eventually I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Can't wait to see how 18 points in 2 days in LSL still leads to me getting blown the gently caress out