Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I usually avoid taking rookies, especially high profile ones, because people take them way too soon. But what is everyone's thoughts on Dahlin this year? I am finding it difficult to project for him. He's a better prospect than Doughty and Hedman, but they weren't superstars in their rookie year.

e: Just went to H-R and pulled all the rookie teen defensemen who have scored 30 or more points. The active ones include Johnson (33), Del Zotto (37), Ekblad (39), Fowler (40), Werenski (47), and Myers (48). All of these guys were 1st round picks, but none of them were as highly regarded as Dahlin. Basically, the odds are against Dahlin, but we also haven't seen a defensive prospect of his caliber in...I am not sure. A while.

Is there a bigger disappointment than Myers? Forgot his rookie season.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I can't remember which players I have that are eligible. A list would be handy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My friend and I are having the same issue. We are trying to decide on who we want as our last keeper.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It's tough having three of your keepers become ineligible.

I am choosing

Granlund $2 -> $3
Reinhart $3 -> $4
Kuznetsov $67 -> $80
Quick $35 -> $42

I am not getting Kuz as a discount or anything, but I like him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Am I crazy for taking Matthews over Kucherov in a pool that only counts points? I am unsure how much of my hometown bias is coming out.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Goals and assists count the same.

You are right. Smart money is on Kucherov. He's coming off two incredible seasons, and a 100-point season, even for someone like Matthews, is a difficult feat in the modern NHL. I think Matthews will take the next step this season (hell, he was a PPG player last year in 62 games), but will it be enough to beat Kucherov? The fact that I asked this question means that I am not convinced.

This is a league where you pick one player out of five, and have to keep them for the entire season.

edit:

I am also trying to decide between Laine/Tavares/Stamkos/Tarasenko/Pastranak in the same league. I am leaning towards Stamkos, but I feel like I could pick any one of these guys and be happy.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 29, 2018

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Eeli Tolvanen or Sam Steel?

This is a full keeper league that counts peripherals like shots, hits, and blocks. It's also a salary league. I'm likely looking at performance for next year rather than this year, though if I could roster Steel this year that would be great. Tolvanen likely makes too much for me to roster him this year.

I think this question is a roll of the die, and you seem to have already answered it yourself, but will Steel be NHL-ready next season? I have no clue.

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah Kucherov is a safe bet to hit 90+ and while Matthews will certainly be capable he’s not there yet.

I’d lean Stamkos again in that other pool but if you wanted to diversify in case something happens in Tampa then Pasta or Tavares are right there.

My thought process is that Stamkos and Tavares have the highest ceilings, but Pasta does have a good chance to outperform them. I am still high on Tarasenko putting up a 40-40 season, but considering his history, it feels like too risky to bet on considering the other players. I am also not sure if Laine's assist totals will grow enough this year.

I am going to go Tavares, mostly because I want to cheer for him.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

1. (14) Jack Eichel C $96
2. (22) Filip Forsberg LW $65
3. (24) Carey Price G $52
4. (45) Dougie Hamilton D $40
5. (73) Matt Dumba D $29
6. (85) Tyson Barrie D $16
7. (87) Eric Staal C $24
8. (124) Tyler Toffoli RW $16
9. (127) Chris Kreider LW $6
10. (131) Matt Duchene C $13
11. (154) Mike Matheson D $1
12. (161) Josh Morrissey D $6
13. (166) Jake DeBrusk LW $5
14. (187) Derick Brassard C $1
15. (241) Jonathan Quick (K) G $42
16. (242) Evgeny Kuznetsov (K) C $80
17. (243) Sam Reinhart (K) C,RW $4
18. (244) Mikael Granlund (K) C,RW $3

I went with a different strategy this year. Usually I wait until the last minute to get defense. This year, I tried to target more high-end guys. I also ended up with Price, only because I thought he went for a good price. I slightly overpaid for Eichel, but I also think that if he stays healthy, that he's going to be in the conversation as one of the league's best.

I am happy with this team. Last year I ended up with Perry for $60, which I even knew was an overpay at that time, so I am happy that I avoided those mistakes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am still holding onto Necas because I Believe In Cheap Keepers Who Won't Help This Year (tm)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Roto also means that 3/4 of teams will check out before the season is over.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Is there a reason as to why Marincin is owned so heavily in Yahoo leagues?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I lost to a guy this week in the HHL who doesn't even own goalies.

I only won the goalie categories :\

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

If he wins the league, no one is drafting goalies next year.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I also can't believe how wrong I was about MacKinnon. Even though he has all the talent in the world, I didn't think he'd be able to replicate last season.

Don't even get me started on Rantanen.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Love reading waiver wire pick-up articles, checking the HHL, and realize the players have been owned for weeks.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

It is cutthroat, but that's also the point. It forces you to make some hard decisions.

I have only ever changed the rules midseason once. After a discussion with the league, after a particularly bad start to the baseball season for injuries, we moved it to 3.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My HHL team is garbage. Love being in last.

Worse? I am actually trying.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, as I mentioned before, I am in last place in the HHL. I decided to do a deeper dive to see what, exactly, is the issue. I am one of the top producers in points in the league, but my team lacks grit. I am near the bottom in PIM, hits, and blocks. My goalies have also been mediocre.

At this point, I think the only way I get better is through trading. Other than Reinhart, Virtanen and Pearson (with the latter two being hit and block producers), no one on my team is droppable. I am stuck!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Oh good, a week where my Quick/Price/Halak trio is doing well, and my offense dries up.

I am in last place. My team is done for the year. I am open to making deals for the future.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

In the HHL, how long can you keep a player? Is it for 3 or 4 seasons? Lets say I drafted someone before the 16-17 season, kept him before 17-18, is this my last year of keeping him or do I get one more season?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am also looking towards next year and trying to figure out my keeper situation. As of right now, my list includes Carter Hart, Rakell, Reinhart, Ehlers, and Granlund. I am not particularly jazzed about the latter three, because while they get points, they don't do much else in this league.

I'd be happy to part with Eichel for someone who would be a better keeper than these three.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My understanding of the keeper rules in HHL is that since I picked up Ehlers off of waivers this year, his keeper time gets reset and he costs $2 next year. Is that still true?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I hope those recent adds in HHL don’t mean you can use them as cheap keepers next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am pretty sure I am going to finish 3rd in one of my hockey pools. The kind where you pick one player out of five. Times like this I look over my team and congratulate myself for choosing the right players at top, and wonder what the hell was I thinking about the players at the bottom.