Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Original box, original holster. John Sowerby was my great-grandfather. My dad decided to go ahead and give this to me while he's out here visiting. Made November 1934. Means a lot to me to have this - it's the only heirloom gun we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Which one of you little hooligans mentioned politics?!

Great grandpa had some good taste

McNally
Sep 12, 2007
And if you thought the DoD healthcare was bad, boy lemme tell ya!

I came expecting something old. I am disappointed.

Just kidding, that owns.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Very nice. Woodsmans have such nice triggers.
You know about only using Standard Velocity rounds through it, right?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

Very nice. Woodsmans have such nice triggers.
You know about only using Standard Velocity rounds through it, right?

Dad says he done the research - with that manufacture date it's fine with high velocity ammo.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Admiral Bosch posted:

Dad says he done the research - with that manufacture date it's fine with high velocity ammo.

Easy to check.

If your Woodsman is pre-WWII it will have a pattern on the mainspring housing, where the web between the thumb and forefinger touches when holding the pistol in firing position. If that pattern is checkered (left), it was made for standard velocity ammo. If the pattern is horizontal parallel lines (right), it was designed for high velocity ammo.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007

Never even noticed that backstrap pattern. Mine's got the lines. Thanks for the resource link though! Will be reading more tonight.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

Inheriting an old family gun must be cool but for it to be a Woodsman from the 30s with the great grandfather name on it is awesome. Box and holster are icing on the cake. I have a Woodsman from that era, but cannot recall the exact year. It feels so right in the hand.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

May be the only heirloom gun but definitely a case of quality over quantity. Woodsmen are just plain neat. Holster is even cooler, though.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Jealous of you guys who inherit awesome dad and granddad guns. Guns were never a thing on either side of my family. In a strange twist my dad got his first and only gun from me.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

So nice. I need to get one of these into my safe someday.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

Great grandpa had some good taste

Imagine when we're all (great)grandparents and the (great)grand kids dig up our weirdo 2018 guns in the year 2100.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine when we're all (great)grandparents and the (great)grand kids dig up our weirdo 2018 guns in the year 2100.

Is that... Frodo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

Is that... Frodo?

It is!