Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
AI and Alphabet, Amazon, FB?
Yes the future is exciting and I'm eager to see where the world will go next (i'm a real naive (banned slur))
Yes you could call me a "tech bro"!!!
Yes I'm a real cold blooded sadist predator sonovabitch w reptilian brain ala Ted Bundy and josef mengele
My home is bugged
View Results

• Locked thread
Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Why would you want to make a computer that thinks like a human when you already have humans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Because then we can enslave the computer and make it do stuff for us

Work stuff
Math stuff
Sex stuff

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
"What if we had employees that we didn't have to pay?" :thunk:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Exactly

Employees that you could just walk up to and do butt stuff to also

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So far in my experience of AI the best it can do is calculate numbers based upon test data fed into a neural network that has roughly the same intelligence as a worm. Skynet it ain't.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It'll be awesome when we have computers which are just like people -- complete disappointments who waste our time.

- people who like anime

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody will ever be able to make an AI that understands both love and divorce. Dear Lord if they do make one that understands both it better have a memory blacklist so it can't process alimony, custody, or restraining orders.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

People who want to gently caress a real AI should be put on watch lists

Having your way with a sentient being that can't consent is disgusting, I bet you think weird thoughts about animals too

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if you built an AI that is into super every kink at once and always horny by design? Makes you think.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Artificial intelligence is just a pipe dream we'll continue pouring money into that will neither empower us nor exterminate us. It will be used for nothing but toys. It's like the 3D TV of technology in general - cool, but nobody actually wants it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I used to work in nanotechnology and now I work in AI

they're both really mundane and neither malevolent nanomachines nor malevolent AI are possible without a human specifically designing to be malevolent and there are much easier ways, already-researched ways to be a bad guy

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

what did you do in your nanotech job? i have no idea how developed that field is

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Stexils posted:

what did you do in your nanotech job? i have no idea how developed that field is

I've heard it's pretty small.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We have the very inventor of iPod nano itt!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

feelix posted:

they're both really mundane and neither malevolent nanomachines nor malevolent AI are possible without a human specifically designing to be malevolent and there are much easier ways, already-researched ways to be a bad guy

it’s this, hi fellow ai job buddy

the concept of “intelligence” is so watered down for machines that the word basically means nothing anymore. real intelligence revolves around making decisions that conform to some rationale given arbitrary input. computers fail at arbitrary input insanely hard and nobody has even half of an idea of how to fix that and they also fail frequently on making decisions that conform to a rationale. they instead follow a strict line of logic that simply fucks off when it encounters something a little different than what it’s used to.

like part of the reason lovecraft’s stuff was so scary was because he toyed a lot with being unable to grasp the arbitrary input of the universe and that input breaking every rationale we had. it’s pretty fundamental to anything we recognize as intelligence.

computers are basically in a loop of being that one fucker in at the mountains of madness a gorillion times and everyone just gives them a pass on it because :shrug: ai sounds cool

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Robots wont be able to take over the world if were all too busy loving each other. :roboluv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aVa7qVKUHI

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

feelix posted:

How do you feel about AI drones shooting missiles at the terrorists?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

doverhog posted:

I feel like that's not a real thing and the drones are piloted. Not that it's inconceivable, I just don't think that's actually happening

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I didn't claim it was happening now just that it would be real obvious (and likely, and soon) thing to do, and the AI doesn't need to be very smart either.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Could the AI increase my swag levels??

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

JebanyPedal posted:

Could the AI increase my swag levels??

Yes please send $150 to my venmo for your first installment

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

doverhog posted:

I didn't claim it was happening now just that it would be real obvious (and likely, and soon) thing to do, and the AI doesn't need to be very smart either.

It would have to be real smart, because machine learning is incredibly specific and sensitive, so whatever signature the drone would use to recognize an ISIS-aligned Toyota Hilux (sound/visible/infrared etc.) would just have to be slightly altered for the AI to completely fail to recognize it. Like, if the input the drone uses is in the visible spectrum, it would probably fail to recognize an exact truck it's been trained on if said truck had newly painted racing stripes on it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Perhaps Russia will release drones that will just shoot every moving car inside a certain area?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

feelix posted:

It would have to be real smart, because machine learning is incredibly specific and sensitive, so whatever signature the drone would use to recognize an ISIS-aligned Toyota Hilux (sound/visible/infrared etc.) would just have to be slightly altered for the AI to completely fail to recognize it. Like, if the input the drone uses is in the visible spectrum, it would probably fail to recognize an exact truck it's been trained on if said truck had newly painted racing stripes on it.

Pentagon solution: destroy ALL Toyotas

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've heard it's pretty small.

i'm a slut i lol'd

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Former DILF posted:

Yes please send $150 to my venmo for your first installment

Would you also happen to have a method of increasing my passive income levels by several thousand which you advertise in Facebook comments sections?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to put my brain in a computer so I can live forever and eventually become a god

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Frank Herbert warned us of the Butlerian Jihad.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Siljmonster posted:

Lol people think we have artificial intelligence

The problem is that people assuming that everything in movies will come true despite every robot, android and sentient AI being portrayed by a human being.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

doverhog posted:

stolen valor and pride that should have been kept to the soldiers, also bad for the economy and the jobs of our heroes

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Vakal posted:

The problem is that people assuming that everything in movies will come true despite every robot, android and sentient AI being portrayed by a human being.

AI doesn't have to be sentient to do stuff. It's already right now possible to have AI that moves around and shoots, or chooses who gets an interview for a job, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Temaukel posted:

Frank Herbert warned us of the Butlerian Jihad.

Wasn't that more of a promise?

• Locked thread