Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpShN0SQMo

I'm going to see this tomorrow, and I'm extremely excited about it. Long live Cage, may he never see the inside of his New Orleans pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I need this in my life pronto

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's really, really good. It's also probably longer than it needs to be but I didn't mind, I could bask in Panos Cosmatos's visuals all drat day.

Also, it's a hell of a score for Jóhann Jóhannsson to go out on. It melds so well with the movie.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
This gives me the impression of being a prettier version of Hobo With a Shotguns good parts. I really wanted to like that movie but it's just so drat mean spirited in a unfun way. Though I was pretty enthralled by The Plague. I loved how god damned bizarre they were and how they made me want to know what the hell it is they actually do. Not all that bothered about not getting answers, just left with a craving for more of them. Is that the kind of direction this goes in, or is it just me projecting that kind of thing into it?

I'm not sure what to think about Panos Cosmatos. It's not that the trailer for Beyond the Black Rainbow was all that misleading, it just didn't live up to the film it evoked in my head when I saw it. Though I actually loved its shift in the last 8 or so minutes of the film.

There's a showing of it around me, but a hour away. I hesitate to go, but holy poo poo it's getting some good reviews for seeming like such a nutts-o movie.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 13, 2018

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Free Drinks posted:

There's a showing of it around me, but a hour away. I hesitate to go, but holy poo poo it's getting some good reviews for seeming like such a nutts-o movie.

I mean I’m driving ~45 minutes to see it at the Alamo soooooo

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I mean I’m driving ~45 minutes to see it at the Alamo soooooo

I'd be heading to grand ol' Lansing, MI where I'm 95% sure there will be no more than 5 people attending, so it might be a different experience :v:. Though it might still be worth it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Thanks for the thread, now I will post the same question I've been asking everywhere else: what's up with the wack release? Appears to be one screening (7pm), one day, at Regal theaters. I know the industry is dying and all but lol

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ingmar terdman posted:

Thanks for the thread, now I will post the same question I've been asking everywhere else: what's up with the wack release? Appears to be one screening (7pm), one day, at Regal theaters. I know the industry is dying and all but lol

Yeah, there's like ten theaters here showing it all today at 7PM.

I switched shifts with a coworker just so I could go see it. Theater was already half sold out surprisingly, but I'm a lunatic who likes sitting up closer to the front.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Gonna be seeing this today and I'm pretty hype for it. I'm catching it at The IFC Center and I believe they got a pre-recorded Q&A session with Panos Cosmatos and Nic Cage which should be cool.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

yes does this not come out at all after this thursday showing? for me it shows regal showings tonight and then just at one of our alamos after that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm gonna have to see this VOD. There's no nearby screenings I can get to. :(

4k TV ain't nothin to slouch at though. Still, I wanted to see it on tha big screen.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Got my ticket for Saturday at the Alamo. Looks like it's only playing at two theaters in KC, but it's playing regularly for at least the next week at those two.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Not even playing in Pittsburgh as far as I can tell. I could drive down to Morgantown WV but I couldn’t make it with when my shift ends

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm gonna have to see this VOD. There's no nearby screenings I can get to. :(

4k TV ain't nothin to slouch at though. Still, I wanted to see it on tha big screen.

Yea I have a nice new t.v. so I think I'm going to take advantage of the early VOD in this case. I really don't think I want to wait until October 30th to see this movie, that trailer has to be one of the best I've ever seen, goddamn.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I might go see this tonight for the visuals if nothing else. I had mixed feelings about black rainbow, but I think that's at least partly due to being too tired when I watched it.

after today, the one theater it's playing at here has two showings per day scheduled all through next week

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

This will be my favorite movie of the year.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's a very self-indulgent movie, but that's alright. I really liked the title cards, though 1983 A.D. made me roll my eyes pretty hard. Also, none spring to mind, but has there been any other movie where the main title for the movie shows up an hour into the movie? Usually it's at the beginning or the end, I think this is the first time I saw it show up smack dab in the middle of the movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Also, the poster is sick as hell, and I got a free one at the screening I went to.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

ruddiger posted:

It's a very self-indulgent movie, but that's alright. I really liked the title cards, though 1983 A.D. made me roll my eyes pretty hard. Also, none spring to mind, but has there been any other movie where the main title for the movie shows up an hour into the movie? Usually it's at the beginning or the end, I think this is the first time I saw it show up smack dab in the middle of the movie.

Blissfully Yours and a handful other Weerasethakul films does this too.

I am stoked for this. It's been way too long since Beyond the Black Rainbow.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The only place around here screening it is in a really inconvenient location.

gently caress it. I'm an unironic Cage fan. Mom and Dad deserved more credit and I cannot wait to see this.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Well poo poo, looks like I can't make it. Even though I only heard about this film last night, I'm pretty pumped for it. I hope there's a VOD or something that comes out soon, considering, you know, it's being played a whole one time.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Free Drinks posted:

Well poo poo, looks like I can't make it. Even though I only heard about this film last night, I'm pretty pumped for it. I hope there's a VOD or something that comes out soon, considering, you know, it's being played a whole one time.

There is! The movie is available on VOD starting tomorrow.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

fave part was goblin cheddar and when he takes the big hit of coke off some broken glass lol

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

This was so good. I have some gripes with it, but there’s so much love and attention in every frame of this. Maybe I’m wrong here, but it feels like Mandy’s one of the only “metal” films where the references don’t feel forced and it feels like part of a cohesive whole.

I mean, poo poo, Stephen O’Malley from Sunn O))) literally plays guitar on the score.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 14, 2018

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
This movie is so awesome. It's visually stunning and the music is perfect - like someone else said, what a way for Johann to go out. The story unfolds like a bad acid trip happening in real time but it somehow still manages to be (mostly) coherent. Nic Cage once again proves the Rage Cage-ometer can go wayyyy past 10.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This really demands to be seen with theater quality screen/speakers

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a theater cheer louder than when he snaps the dude’s neck and takes a huge snort

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Beyond the Black Rainbow is one of my favorite movies of the decade and Nic Cage is one of my all-time favorite actors, so naturally I've been looking forward to this for a long time. I didn't even think I was gonna get to see this in theaters until recently when I found out one of the indie theaters in town is showing it 3x a day starting tomorrow :swoon:

I'm gonna be busy this weekend so I don't know if I'll get to see it until maybe Monday, but I can't loving wait. From everything I've been hearing/seeing, this movie's 1,000% my poo poo and will easily be one of my favorites of the year.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Technically a lot more proficient than Beyond the Black Rainbow, but I'm not sure if I liked it more. It takes itself less seriously, with the humor and camp being much more intentional this time around. Cosmatos is still a rough-around-the-edges director, but you can tell he has made tremendous strides since then. Felt like this could have been quite an excellent 90 minute movie needlessly stretched out to 2 hours.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

KaptainKrunk posted:

Technically a lot more proficient than Beyond the Black Rainbow, but I'm not sure if I liked it more. It takes itself less seriously, with the humor and camp being much more intentional this time around. Cosmatos is still a rough-around-the-edges director, but you can tell he has made tremendous strides since then. Felt like this could have been quite an excellent 90 minute movie needlessly stretched out to 2 hours.

Personally I thought the length was essential, you can't really create that same trance-like tone and ambiance with a more hectic pace. I was seriously drawn in by the film in a very xen way, it was super easy to forget I was in a theater with Mandy.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Just got out of it. Didn't stick around for the q&a. Movie was fine but that was the WORST audience I have ever had to endure. Three assholes sitting in the front (shows how smart they were, there was like 18 people in the theater) tried to make jokes whenever the movie hit a comic beat, some guy I'm guessing was an RLM fan actually yelled "what a piece of poo poo!" when it ended, starting a shouted conversation over the credits. Just awful.

I had never seen a Cosmatos picture before and didn't know what to expect. A fairly straightforward delightful revenge picture, like Tarantino might make if he was born in the first half of the 70s. Cage's beer belly and workingman thickness is perfect, his stomach almost steals the show. The movie seems to have a definite love-hate relationship to fantasy it's trying to work through. I'm sure somebody already said this but lmao at the villain's lame-rear end folk music, best gag in the movie

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

ruddiger posted:

Implicitly, Mandy is also the name of the axe

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Harime Nui posted:

Just got out of it. Didn't stick around for the q&a. Movie was fine but that was the WORST audience I have ever had to endure. Three assholes sitting in the front (shows how smart they were, there was like 18 people in the theater) tried to make jokes whenever the movie hit a comic beat, some guy I'm guessing was an RLM fan actually yelled "what a piece of poo poo!" when it ended, starting a shouted conversation over the credits. Just awful.

I had never seen a Cosmatos picture before and didn't know what to expect. A fairly straightforward delightful revenge picture, like Tarantino might make if he was born in the first half of the 70s. Cage's beer belly and workingman thickness is perfect, his stomach almost steals the show. The movie seems to have a definite love-hate relationship to fantasy it's trying to work through. I'm sure somebody already said this but lmao at the villain's lame-rear end folk music, best gag in the movie

Luckily I had a relatively decent audience. The only lovely moment was a few younger dudes starting to giggle during the Nick Cage losing it in the bathroom scene but that quickly quieted down after people realized it was actually a really emotionally devastating moment that was really well done.
The only times people laughed outside of that were at moments that were supposed to be funny.

Honestly I expected that kind of bullshit as soon as I saw the trailer and saw that it had Nic Cage, a lot of younger people in particular have this far too modern pop-culture image of Nic Cage since his reputation these days is mostly centered around freakouts and outrageous performances, so plenty of people were probably going into showings of Mandy ready to guffaw at him being a lunatic and not appreciate how great of a performer he can be with the right material and director.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
He was definitely supposed to be a Mason type, obsessed with himself to the point where his music sucked so he decided to be a cult leader instead. Just with The Carpenters instead of the Beatles/Beach Boys

Also for some reason I could have sworn that was a CGI penis but apparently not.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Coffee And Pie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpShN0SQMo

I'm going to see this tomorrow, and I'm extremely excited about it. Long live Cage, may he never see the inside of his New Orleans pyramid.

This looks balls hardcore awesome

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Coffee And Pie posted:

He was definitely supposed to be a Mason type, obsessed with himself to the point where his music sucked so he decided to be a cult leader instead. Just with The Carpenters instead of the Beatles/Beach Boys

Also for some reason I could have sworn that was a CGI penis but apparently not.

It's great how perfectly almost everything about the way Jeremiah presents himself, down to the toneless didactic song lyrics, tracks perfectly to real new age weirdo types you can see on Youtube

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Not a lot to say this moment but my theater was clearly there to “ironically” watch a cage movie and there was almost non-stop laughter during the bathroom scene which was hella annoying during a genuinely devastating scene. Other than that it’s probably in my top 5 for the year. So many beautiful scenes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ghosthotel posted:

Not a lot to say this moment but my theater was clearly there to “ironically” watch a cage movie and there was almost non-stop laughter during the bathroom scene which was hella annoying during a genuinely devastating scene. Other than that it’s probably in my top 5 for the year. So many beautiful scenes.

honestly i wasn't there to ironically watch a cage movie and i still couldn't take that scene seriously at all

maybe the internet has just ruined cage for me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
movie loving owned though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I didn't want to spam the thread but it's a seriously great moment and wonderfully acted. Cage perfectly gets the awkwardness of realizing you are at your most tragic moment--that you will never go through anything worse than this. It's a kind of mourning really.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 14, 2018