Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Under The Skin is good and has one visual in particular that is permanently etched in my mind. Killer soundtrack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Elderbean posted:

Under The Skin is good and has one visual in particular that is permanently etched in my mind. Killer soundtrack too.

This one?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Nah, its the the skin husk floating in void.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 14, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Double Post.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 14, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Hot drat:

Mandy - German Ultimate Edition

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Is that a Jeremiah Sand vinyl? Because I need that like I need air.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yes I believe it is.

The only reason I'd hesitate to buy that (aside from the price) is that it wouldn't fit on my Blu-ray shelf.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Also it's super loving creepy to listen to. Props to Roach for the character, ugh.

Just saw Bad Times at El Royale (decent but hateful 8 did it better), Chris Hemsworth was basically playing a younger Jeremiah Sands

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Free Drinks posted:

I have now watched this film a LOT, looking for different things. I am still comfortable with the conclusion that the drug and/or mysticism angle is being depicted exactly as Panos intended. Truly, utterly and purposely ambiguous.

Not really. At the end of the film, Red quotes Joseph Campbell by way of New Age ultra-kook Stanislav Grof.

Campbell said “the psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight”, to which Grof added that the mystical experience is often harrowing and not very delightful at all.

Grof pushed LSD experimentation as a means of becoming a “psychonaut” - accessing past lives, achieving ‘cosmic awareness’, reliving prenatal memories, contacting demons and UFOs, etc. Grof was an admirer of, for example, L. Ron Hubbard.

The joke at the end, of course, is that Red is so psychotic that he’s swimming - he’s actually achieved the ultimate mystical experience, making New Agers like Grof and Sand look like fuckin losers by comparison.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Not really. At the end of the film, Red quotes Joseph Campbell by way of New Age ultra-kook Stanislav Grof.

Campbell said “the psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight”, to which Grof added that the mystical experience is often harrowing and not very delightful at all.

Grof pushed LSD experimentation as a means of becoming a “psychonaut” - accessing past lives, achieving ‘cosmic awareness’, reliving prenatal memories, contacting demons and UFOs, etc. Grof was an admirer of, for example, L. Ron Hubbard.

The joke at the end, of course, is that Red is so psychotic that he’s swimming - he’s actually achieved the ultimate mystical experience, making New Agers like Grof and Sand look like fuckin losers by comparison.

The difference between being a swimming mystic and a drowning psychotic is just how crazy you're willing to go on the way to reigning in hell

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elderbean posted:

Nah, its the the skin husk floating in void.

I knew it'd be this as that's the exact image that's stuck with me too...

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

I was looking forward to your opinion. Did you like the film?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Whole generations of metalheads would proceed to crave, but never achieve, the experience of being an actual berserker.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

That may be the meaning behind it, but I was more referring to the question that's been asked over and over in the thread, "is the crazy poo poo we are seeing because of drugs, or is it supposed to be real?". The answer is ambiguous, the audience wasn't intended to walk away knowing it to be one or the other. Just knowing that Red was corrupted by the events and had surpassed Sand and the others physically and spiritually.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 15, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Free Drinks posted:

That may be the meaning behind it, but I was more referring to the question that's been asked over and over in the thread, "is the crazy poo poo we are seeing because of drugs, or is it supposed to be real?". The answer is ambiguous, the audience wasn't intended to walk away knowing it to be one or the other. Just knowing that Red was corrupted by the events and had surpassed Sand and the others physically and spiritually.

Yeah, to fit it into SMG's analogy, people aren't questioning whether Red is drowning or swimming in the waters; they're questioning whether the waters are there at all.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, to fit it into SMG's analogy, people aren't questioning whether Red is drowning or swimming in the waters; they're questioning whether the waters are there at all.

I suppose I am being a little presumptuous (and wrong) about Panos' intent since I am unfamiliar with everything that informed the film.

I just enjoy that it takes a magical realism approach rather than a straight forward or total surreal one. Nothing the Black Skulls do is actually that fantastic. They could endure more than is real but that doesn't need a otherworldly explanation since it is a movie. Generic thugs could have been used but instead the Skulls are nightmarish and bizarre creating an even greater sense of dread, which is fun and interesting.

Edit: I suppose I should say nearly everything the Black Skulls does is fantastic since when the bolt covered one (Scabs I think) is hit by Red's trunk he flips it the gently caress over, which is pretty outlandish.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 16, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

those people are missing the entire plot of the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Free Drinks posted:

A mystical experience is not necessarily objectively supernatural. From your pick of empiricist, rationalist, or positivist perspectives, none are.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Cosmatos' films are both characterized by their materialism. Yes, the bikers are xenomorphized by hyper-LSD, but they also still live in a house and use a toilet (a nice touch). They're not, like, ghosts or something. They're people.

As Free Drinks notes, nothing particularly outrageous actually happens in the film. Altered states of consciousness are conveyed mainly through lighting effects.

The trickiest 'impossible' stuff all surrounds Mandy, and that metaphorical imagery is all derived from her fantasy novel(s). Given that Seeker Of The Serpent's Eye is not a true story, the point is that the fantasy novel actually does reflect aspects of human psychology. Like, no, Red doesn't actually travel to a different planet at the end.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Cosmatos' films are both characterized by their materialism. Yes, the bikers are xenomorphized by hyper-LSD, but they also still live in a house and use a toilet (a nice touch). They're not, like, ghosts or something. They're people.

One thing that struck me about the bathroom was how clean it was considering the house, as though it wasn't used. That might just be grasping at straws though.

I legit thought that the bikers had commandeered the house and were just squatting after having killed the owners, but the basement pit area is an awfully strange feature for normal people to put into their house.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Free Drinks posted:

One thing that struck me about the bathroom was how clean it was considering the house, as though it wasn't used. That might just be grasping at straws though.

I legit thought that the bikers had commandeered the house and were just squatting after having killed the owners, but the basement pit area is an awfully strange feature for normal people to put into their house.

You haven’t got one of those?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Red doesn't actually travel to a different planet at the end.

Counterpoint: but what if he DID

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

SlimGoodbody posted:

Counterpoint: but what if he DID

The author is dead, long live the author!

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
To be honest if you take all the supernatural stuff literally the movie is about coping with trauma and how Mandy (ignore that she's dead) goes on an internal meditative journey, finds and slays her demons, and takes things from the experience to make her stronger, while Red externalizes his anger to the point that he no longer acts for love, but for masturbatory self satisfaction, and becomes a delusional demon hard to separate from the bikers at the end. He doesn't have Mandy, and has no more connection to her in her own journey, but he thinks he does because he did what he wanted to do to make himself feel better.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
This also reflects the relationship in the beginning of the movie. Mandy's ideal world is the one she paints. She has goals and dreams and all that independent of her relationship. Red's ideal world is "being with Mandy".

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't really matter if the supernatural things are "real" or not because the story told is emotional and character driven and not heavy on plot. Even if the events aren't realistic the feelings are relatable, and that's what matters. You get nothing valuable out of teasing out whether or not the LSD was magic imo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Your Parents posted:

It doesn't really matter if the supernatural things are "real" or not because the story told is emotional and character driven and not heavy on plot. Even if the events aren't realistic the feelings are relatable, and that's what matters. You get nothing valuable out of teasing out whether or not the LSD was magic imo.

People seem to love to point out that it "doesn't matter" in these kind of discussions but what if it's just fun to think about and talk about? Like, the literal meaning of Jack appearing in the photo at the end of The Shining doesn't "matter" but its still a fun thing to toss around in your head.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

People seem to love to point out that it "doesn't matter" in these kind of discussions but what if it's just fun to think about and talk about? Like, the literal meaning of Jack appearing in the photo at the end of The Shining doesn't "matter" but its still a fun thing to toss around in your head.

Because the story and experience isn't affected either way, really. Its still an emotionally driven movie about coping with loss in a destructive way. It's more fun to believe it's all literal because it's all presented that way on screen, but if you want to be a boring person who goes durr it's all a hallucination it's still fine

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Your Parents posted:

Because the story and experience isn't affected either way, really. Its still an emotionally driven movie about coping with loss in a destructive way. It's more fun to believe it's all literal because it's all presented that way on screen, but if you want to be a boring person who goes durr it's all a hallucination it's still fine
That's what kinda what I was trying to articulate about ambiguity but doing so poorly. It was purposefully made to allow you to have fun thinking about the crazy poo poo as real or thinking about the reasons that the crazy poo poo isn't. I think being able to take it either way was intended since it's balanced in so many ways.

The movie is almost exactly 2 hours long and shot is the literal middle.

With time code.

Pretty cleanly cleaves the story right in two.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 17, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Just found out that Shudder inked a deal for the exclusive streaming rights for Mandy. A little bummed that this film won't have the huge second wave on Netflix that it deserved. But hell, Shudder is a pretty good service in it's own right. Hopefully it will bring some eyeballs their way.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Just found out that Shudder inked a deal for the exclusive streaming rights for Mandy. A little bummed that this film won't have the huge second wave on Netflix that it deserved. But hell, Shudder is a pretty good service in it's own right. Hopefully it will bring some eyeballs their way.

Wasn’t Shudder actually involved in producing Mandy?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Shudder’s also the only place you can stream Beyond the Black Rainbow, so it wouldn’t surprise me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm fine with it because as a horror fan I'm hoping that if Shudder keeps getting bigger and more popular its going to have more ability to get great films like Mandy

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Shudder is the best value in streaming right now. $5 a month and tons of great movies every month.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

Shudder is the best value in streaming right now. $5 a month and tons of great movies every month.

Amazon has a ton of add-on channels and a few of them are also horror themed. But I guess because they aren't standalone streaming services, the selection is incredibly shallow compared to Shudder. Even if you don't like a particular month's new additions it would take a long time to really go through everything Shudder has and feel like you've seen everything you want to see.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, Instead of Netflix introducing more people to Mandy, I like the idea of Mandy introducing more people to Shudder.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I adore Shudder but they really need to get rid of their user ratings/reviews.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If you don't like horror movies, is Shudder still worth it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shageletic posted:

If you don't like horror movies, is Shudder still worth it?

Nah, although from time to time they do get like serial killer thrillers and even some gangster films, but no it wouldn't be worth a monthly sub just for that.

I promise you though, if you think you don't like horror but maybe you haven't delved all that far into the genre, Shudder would be the thing to get if you want to check out some subgenres of horror you may not have been exposed to yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Elderbean posted:

Not trying to derail but Under the Skin sticks out in my memory because it is literally the only time in my entire life that I felt ..... anxious? During a movie. Like, where I wanted to leave and my heart was racing.

The scene with the baby at the seashore