Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Blast Fantasto posted:

Can’t decide if my favorite black skull is the dude with spikes all over his body or the guy who takes an arrow to the neck but keeps staring at the fire

Can we agree that gently caress Pig has the best name tho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Elderbean posted:

I love the bit about Starlings, it's sad and makes me empathize with Mandy. The camera slowly coming closer is a nice touch too.

I'm still not 100% sure if she was telling the truth about running away or not

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Doctor Faustine posted:

Yes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Blast Fantasto posted:

Can’t decide if my favorite black skull is the dude with spikes all over his body or the guy who takes an arrow to the neck but keeps staring at the fire

The latter was such an awesome you gotta be kidding me moment because the last time he used the crossbow he just knocked the guy off his bike so it was like okay yeah sure that particular one survived that time and the build up to the neck one treats it like you're about to see a real deal BOOOOM HEAD SHOT cathartic moment

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

This is probably my favorite individual moment of the movie. It's such an unusual choice that I wonder if it was a Cage ad lib like the Bruce Lee Neck Snap Zoom.

I'm curious as to your thoughts regarding the idea that Mandy was lying about her treatment of the starlings. Does that change anything for you?

For my two cents its about her aversion and fascination with violence, and how the second half of the movie turns. Because she wrote it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Wish there was a full transcript of the pages shown from Seeker of the Serpent's Eye. That one passage that Mandy reads from is surprisingly well written for what's supposed to be a trashy paperback.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s both a memory of the moment they fell in love, and the moment her ghost is finally laid to rest.

Again, the other time Mandy sheds a tear is when she finds the dead fawn in the woods - point being that she sees Red as a baby animal, like the starlings in her fantasy. (See the line about the vicious snowflake later in the film - Red is in a way referring to himself.)

Ooh, fascinating. Thank you. There's just more and more to appreciate about this movie.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 25, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Wish there was a full transcript of the pages shown from Seeker of the Serpent's Eye. That one passage that Mandy reads from is surprisingly well written for what's supposed to be a trashy paperback.

I thought the same thing. It really made me want to read it. Here's the best we got.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That poo poo's badass. Reminds of Moorcock.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

(Here's the full transcript below. It's complete except for the parts where the actor's fingers are in the way, which have been marked with bracketed ellipses. The formatting on the prop book is wonky, so I've corrected that as well.)

Feid's eyes slowly opened. Only a dimness came through. A faint red glow shimmering upon a background of glassy ebony. An even dimmer blue flickered in his eyes, licks of fire hissing forth from pools of lava so intense they burned azure. He could not recall what had happened since the last closing of his mind. He mustered all his discipline and tried to form a story out of what surrounded him.

Here: an armored boot, singed with soot. He crawled forward and looked more intently. Two boots, a pair of greaves, legs and then a waist shrouded in charred cinders. Then the smell of burnt flesh. Beyond the waist was only the most intensely burnt parts of human flesh. The smell made him salivate. It wasn't entirely unpleasant, though the curse had rendered him unable to hold down food weeks ago. If not for that, he might've been tempted.

Someone had pushed this armored soldier into a pool of volcanic lava, and his armor had only perhaps expedited the agony of his burning alive. It was an immensely painful death, as the victim's head and raised arm had hovered just above the lava long enough to freeze in burnt place. Then it came back to Feid. The Thrain, furiously searching in the dark for him, his voice booming, bragging, insults and arrogance. After summiting the crag, Feid had poisoned his men and the horses.

It wasn't a terribly easy decision to make, or particularly convenient. Feid was hoping that once he seized the Serpent's Eye he'd have living subjects to examine just what it could do. But now he realized that The Thrain and his cohorts weren't even worthy to see him seize upon the Eye. These useless fools had spent days dragging him up the mountain with incessant talk and bluster. Of women they'd have by force or money, of riches they'd gather after this pathetic sorcerer had taken them to treasure. That was the fatal mistake that doomed them, Feid realized, more than entrusting him. It was their lust for treasure over power. Only he [...] come to an enlightenment that power was an [...] river spilled from the breast of Vengas [...] the arrow of Jotan, that flowed down [...] of stars that all living things [...] torrent that ran down the sky that [...] all users of Magick pulled from.

The Thrain had paused for a moment while looking for him, and gazed up at the sky from the mountaintop, his vision faintly tinged by the heat of the pools of volcanic water and molten rock. And he had seen the enormity of this river in sky and it made him pause, go silent for a moment, in humbled awe by the enormity of the world, incomprehensible, overwhelming.

That was when Feid struck. All it took was one simple push to send this plate armored mercenary to his death as he pondered the stars.

Feid weakly pushed himself up. He was entirely depleted, but in such closeness to the Serpent's Eye it did not matter. He was beyond fatigue, beyond exhaustion, beyond morality. He saw some dozen men and horses with foamy mouths around him. He felt nothing.

It was only when he stepped forward, and the memories of these murders vanished from his mind, that he felt something. A lightness.

And there, as it had been written, as he had carved into his own flesh with ink, was the landmark. The jagged black rocks, the flat plateau of glassed rock. And a thin, gaping crack within.

Under the crimson, primordial sky, surrounded by the jagged black rocks of the ancient volcanic mountain, the wretched Warlock reached into the dark embrace of the fissure until his hand touched a smooth glassy surface. Cold as ice. His fist closed around the Serpent's Eye. Slowly he withdrew it and held it before him in the fading light of the blood red suns. It glowed from within. A ghostly emerald light.

Strange and Eternal.

All the suffering, all the sorrow, all the thirst and hunger, the loss and murder and blood had led him to this sliver of time in which he now found himself. At last – were the only words he could conjure with his inner voice, his thoughts were so frail and weaknened. his fingers were trembling. The glow seemed to shudder with a ghostly trail in his hands, a verdant smoke in the air.

But it was starting to fade.

He had mere moments left. Of [...] consciousness, of memory as the curse ate away [...] himself. My

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 25, 2018

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

He had mere moments left. Of [...] consciousness, of memory as the curse ate away [...] himself. My

Who was the fake editor of this fake book? Ending the page with just 'My'? Terrible formatting. For shame.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The implicit last line is "My eyes slowly opened."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
loving awesome. I'd read a whole novel of that.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I think it's significant that unlike most trash fantasy of the era, this one has a female author, even though it seems like the protagonist is male.
Much like you can interpret (in a couple of ways) the events of this movie as being 'authored' by Mandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Doctor Faustine posted:

I'm pretty proud that for years and years, before fbook About sections turned into a pile of garbage nodes for personal data points, mine only contained one word, and that word was 'fuckpig'.