Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Free Drinks posted:

Was anyone else upset that Brother Swan blew into it incorrectly?

I liked that, like despite how it looks maybe it just works and sounds like a regular ocarina if you blow into it correctly, but if you go to that particular part of the woods where the bikers hang out and blow into it the wrong way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The one unexplained thing I expected a bit more on was Red's gut wound. They deffo stab him, and I was expecting one leg to be drenched in blood in the bathroom scene but... nope. Besides a tear in his shirt, it's not really mentioned that I remember.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NmareBfly posted:

The one unexplained thing I expected a bit more on was Red's gut wound. They deffo stab him, and I was expecting one leg to be drenched in blood in the bathroom scene but... nope. Besides a tear in his shirt, it's not really mentioned that I remember.

I gathered it wasn't a super deep stab; deep enough that he needed to pour some vodka on it to disinfect it, not deep enough to require more serious medical attention than that.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The tainted blade of the pale knight straight from the abyssal lair went like a foot into his side and then gets completely brushed aside. Maybe it's what set red on his path to becoming a demon or something.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

NmareBfly posted:

Spoilers:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the parallels with Red being stabbed in the lower left like Jesus had, so I think that's where it was going. It ended up being proof that Jeremiah was wrong when he said Jesus's mistake was to not make a sacrifice in his place. Red ends up coming back and literally telling him "I am your god now" while he crushes his head.

Two of my main criticisms is actually right there in the crushing scene.

1. "I am your god now" is too close to "this is god" from A Nightmare on Elm street to be original and the context is too different to be a good homage. Since Jeremiah repeatedly talked about him being a shining light something like "I am your light now" I think would have worked better.

2. The allusions to cumming when Red crushes the head felt out of place to me. Sure it was a big moment of relief and release for Red, but the film had done a impressive job of not screaming the sexual symbolism right in your face until then. And yes I know the knife dick counters my claim immediately, but why I consider that different is that it's attached to a otherworldly, bizarre creature that kinda looks like a person (and may be a person). Though I guess I just rebutted my own complaint since it could easily be argued that Red no longer is human by then so adapting the outrageous sexual symbolism would make sense.

Well poo poo, I guess it does work. I just liked how it wasn't like how some horror films can go be way to obvious about sexual allusions were its just "GET IT. ITS HIS DICK. IT'S A DICK THAT ENTERS PEOPLE". Which again, I suppose you could argue that Red's ax could be dong metaphor city, seeing as it's shoved through Brother Swan's mouth and later Jeremiah bizarrely says he'll suck Red's cock.

gently caress. God drat it, I'm wrong about everything. Why is it so easy to pick out sex poo poo. I want to enjoy my drug fueled nightmare movie that includes a literal floppy dong without thinking everything is a reference to sex (even if it is actually interesting).

All things scream sexual symbolism. It's deafening :sad:. (that was not the emote I meant to use, but it works surprisingly well)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What’s wrong with sex

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

What’s wrong with sex

I've analyzed too many rape/revenge movies so it just gets depressing.

I just wanted to view this as a revenge movie rather than rape/revenge because a case could be made for either.

Edit:
gently caress, I feel like I've dug a creepy hole for myself.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DeimosRising posted:

What’s wrong with sex

If blatant sexual metaphors were to be avoided in horror, Cronenberg wouldn't have a career.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I should note for anyone else who's interested, there's a Mandy merch store if you google around that has 2 different versions of the 44 shirt (regular and production crew) and a "party kit" that makes me think they're planning for this to be the 2010s Rocky Horror.

e: I'm definitely getting a 44 shirt and I want the party kit just for the cheddar goblin beanie.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

I know that there aren't many people that will have a HD version yet, but would anyone be able to get a HD capture of this shot?

Out of a film with a lot of beautiful shots I think this is my favorite. Combined with the music sting it's just such a eerie image.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I mentioned that shot a few pages ago, it's my favorite too. That's the one that felt like real virtuoso stuff, like ok this guy has really arrived as a legit talent.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Free Drinks posted:

I know that there aren't many people that will have a HD version yet, but would anyone be able to get a HD capture of this shot?

Out of a film with a lot of beautiful shots I think this is my favorite. Combined with the music sting it's just such a eerie image.

as good as i could get

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That part with the music was the moment I went “yeah this is cool as hell”

Then it went strobe insanity and yes it turns out the movie was cool as hell.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I wasn't sure how I felt about this right after watching. I love Beyond the Black Rainbow and this felt a bit more convential (if you can call a movie with lsd demon bikers conventional). But I really can't wait to see it again. So many awesome moments. And I agree that it shows a lot of growth from Panos Cosmatos.

The crowd at my theatre was great too. Lots of laughter at the start of the bathroom scene that quickly faded into stunned silence. And tons of appreciation for some of the funnier scenes.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
All my friends laughed at the bathroom but were dead silent for Cheddar Goblin, wtf????

Also no one in my crowd walked out since we were the only people there. :v:

Disappointed Seeker of the Serpent's Eye is not an actual 80s fantasy schlock book that I could go read.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Cheddar Goblin got a big reaction from my crowd. Also made me hungry.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I already worked The Horn of Abraxas into a Shadowrun game I'm running.

Free Drinks posted:

2. The allusions to cumming when Red crushes the head felt out of place to me. Sure it was a big moment of relief and release for Red, but the film had done a impressive job of not screaming the sexual symbolism right in your face until then. And yes I know the knife dick counters my claim immediately, but why I consider that different is that it's attached to a otherworldly, bizarre creature that kinda looks like a person (and may be a person). Though I guess I just rebutted my own complaint since it could easily be argued that Red no longer is human by then so adapting the outrageous sexual symbolism would make sense.

What about the cathartic part where Brother Swan gets stabbed in the mouth because that was one of the most phallic imagery things in the movie not counting the part where we literally see a dick.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 25, 2018

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Where the hell did anyone find a theater showing this? I looked all over San Diego and couldn't find any :smith: I would have loved to watch this with an audience in the room. I had the next best thing tho, my fiance, my buddy, my cousin and his 4k tv and about 20 cheap beers. The drunker I got the crazier this movie became.

Cheddar Goblin was a def highlight as was that cameo.

Somehow this movie led into us watching The Green Room the following day and Blue Ruin by my cousins suggestion. :catstare:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blisster posted:

Cheddar Goblin got a big reaction from my crowd. Also made me hungry.

Drafthouse had a special Mandy-related menu with a Cheddar Goblin mac-and-cheese offering which confused the hell out of me. It made that reveal hit even harder.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Where the hell did anyone find a theater showing this? I looked all over San Diego and couldn't find any :smith: I would have loved to watch this with an audience in the room.

It's playing at least through the end of the month here in KC :shrug:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I had the next best thing tho, my fiance, my buddy, my cousin and his 4k tv and about 20 cheap beers. The drunker I got the crazier this movie became.

I sure hope you meant 20 beers each. Otherwise that's only 5 each, which is simply not enough beers. Not enough beers at all.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I rented it on youtube so it all worked out in the end. Well, it was more of a 12 pack of PBR and a 12 of High Life. I don't remember sharing the PBRs sooo...this movie is 12 beers deep APPROVED

My fiance and I argued for a few mins because she didn't know where the fat kid went.I told her he got dragged away for the blood sacrifice, but she must have missed it. Then she was bummed out because all he was good for was being a tubby sacrifice to the spiked dicked demon bikers

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

What about the cathartic part where Brother Swan gets stabbed in the mouth because that was one of the most phallic imagery things in the movie not counting the part where we literally see a dick.

Right below what you quoted:

Free Drinks posted:

Well poo poo, I guess it does work. I just liked how it wasn't like how some horror films can go be way to obvious about sexual allusions were its just "GET IT. ITS HIS DICK. IT'S A DICK THAT ENTERS PEOPLE". Which again, I suppose you could argue that Red's ax could be dong metaphor city, seeing as it's shoved through Brother Swan's mouth and later Jeremiah bizarrely says he'll suck Red's cock.

After the "Shadow Mountains 1983 a.d." and "Children of the New Dawn" cards I really thought it was going to go with a pulp novel chapters motif for the rest of the movie, but the only other one ended up being the title card. Though they all were pretty god drat cool, the Children one was foreboding.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 25, 2018

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
So I went ahead and uploaded a shitload of high quality screenshots from Mandy, in case anybody else wanted some.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Origami Dali posted:

So I went ahead and uploaded a shitload of high quality screenshots from Mandy, in case anybody else wanted some.

:aaaaa:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Free Drinks posted:

After the "Shadow Mountains 1983 a.d." and "Children of the New Dawn" cards I really thought it was going to go with a pulp novel chapters motif for the rest of the movie, but the only other one ended up being the title card. Though they all were pretty god drat cool, the Children one was foreboding.

If we're talking horror weapon symbology Red's axe incorporates giallo-esque feminine/masculine traits - the knife-as-a-penis and the axe-wound-as-a-vagina symbolism - all in one.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Origami Dali posted:

Kick rear end! Jovian radio tower will be my computer background for the foreseeable future, I think.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Free Drinks posted:

Oh yeah that was stupid of me to miss.

I really liked the title cards, like I was kind of blown away by how a movie with such a very basic story overall could still feel so unpredictable. That gap too makes the Mandy one a great oh poo poo moment when it finally happens.

Speaking of which, I saw this as a straight revenge movie. I mean obviously Sand intended to rape her but the way that scene plays out, and the way he talks about her with Red afterwards? I really read it as him getting so angry he couldn't get it up and that she just cold laughed at him that they just immediately went from there to killing her off. This fit well with him offering to suck Red's dick at the end too to me because he has this whole cult built up just so he can gently caress brainwashed people, but he failed to and is shaken by it til the end because his only way of interacting with people is through sexual domination. So of course the minute he's cornered by the Red (or the cosmology if you take it as all actual supernatural stuff) that he's awakened offering to suck his dick is literally all he's got.

The Children of the New Dawn having a half flower power half terrorist group name fit with that also. This is a flick set in 1983, just a few months after John Paul II got Catholicism to switch parties for the first time and vote for Reagan en masse, with those talking points Red hears on the radio being the reasons. -And in art metaphorically imitating life, even at the time Reagan not fighting to stop abortion from happening was a sticking point with him. 1983 also places it just a year after Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off of a bat, setting off a Christian panic about him (Iron Maiden would get similar stuff) despite the guy himself and a lot of his music being quite devout.

1983 was a year with a lot of conservative Christians all pissed off at each other for not doing conservative Christianity the right way.

That's something that's happened regularly since the dawn of Christianity and continues to today, but here you had it interwoven into our pop culture (just check out any of the action and horror flicks Mandy references) and politics simultaneously over how much the US should be built around controlling women's bodies to an extent that's hard to put into words, but that's okay now because this movie puts it into sights and sounds.

Growing up in a super Catholic household and, looking back on it as an adult and seeing family members of various ages all go through the exact same slide from nice person to spiteful, wannabe domineering rightwing nutjobs through the constant mental gymnastics and twisting of their own faith, made Red turning off the radio at the beginning almost as cathartic to me as when he crushes Sand's head.

So I know someone mentioned it as hyberbolic praise, but this movie was literally a religious experience for me.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 26, 2018

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of which, I saw this as a straight revenge movie. I mean obviously Sand intended to rape her but the way that scene plays out, and the way he talks about her with Red afterwards? I really read it as him getting so angry he couldn't get it up and that she just cold laughed at him that they just immediately went from there to killing her off. This fit well with him offering to suck Red's dick at the end too to me because he has this whole cult built up just so he can gently caress brainwashed people, but he failed to and is shaken by it til the end because his only way of interacting with people is through sexual domination. So of course the minute he's cornered by the Red (or the cosmology if you take it as all actual supernatural stuff) that he's awakened offering to suck his dick is literally all he's got.

I noticed is that when Mandy is laughing at him but before he yells "DONT YOU loving LOOK AT ME" he's doing a motion of jerking off to get it up and getting flustered. I have a feeling that there was more to the scene to make that explicit, but his dong floppin around was probably enough dong. I'm pretty sure it's more obvious in a different edit.

Not that he didn't give a great performance but I was actually expecting MORE from Cage. The bathroom scene is brilliant but I think he had even more to give. I did love the grabbing of his throat in order to not let the burn get to him so he can cram more alcohol down. His break down while he's watching her burn and when he tells Caruthers that they lit her on fire where powerful too. I don't think anyone other than Cage could have done Red justice. It's funny that the same person did the yelling and crying when bees are put on his head is the same one who yells and cries when it finally hits him what happened to Mandy. One of the two is a bit more relatable. None of us know exactly what we would do, but I think basically everyone would go berserk if they were forced to watch their love burn alive.

I think Linus Roache deserves a ton of credit. I don't know how you can portray psychosis that well without being crazy already. His best bits for me were right after the "DONT YOU loving LOOK AT ME" part where he's just staring into a mirror crying repeating "Tell me what do. Please tell me what to do" over and over until he manages to tell himself "Dont ever doubt yourself". I took it as it wasn't that he collected himself and calmed down, instead he left the building and let the even worse him in.

The other bit is when it happens again while he's crying and saying he'll suck Red's cock. He's panicking because the walls are finally closing in but after a bit he suddenly changes again with the "No... no! I don't kneel before you, you kneel before me!" going back to his egocentric roots. He does a great job of showing just how demented Jeremiah was.

I also loved his "pllllllleeeeeeeeeesssssseeeee fetch me Brother Swan". When that came out I know I was in for a impressive performance.

I took the "I'll suck you dick man. Is that what you want?" to be a call back to Brother Swan. If the blade on his ax is his dick, then, yeah, Red kinda does want Jeremiah to suck his dick the same way Brother Swan did. Though he goes with the "I'm crushing you head" instead since it's more personal to use your hands I suppose.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah Sand never got his composure back after Mandy laughed at him. Plus right after he has a similarly impotent moment - Red gets cold stabbed in the gut with a dagger from the abyssal lair or whatever (I know someone mentioned this earlier in the thread) like he just stabs that thing all the way into Red's gut but it may as well have had no effect on him.

Roache blew me away in this, like drat.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Watched it for a second time tonight and it's still mind blowing. Picked up on a bunch of Christ figure parables with Red: the obvious dagger stab wound, the nail in the hand, and being barefoot after leaving the LSD lair - any others I'm missing?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The Cheddar Goblin represents Mary Magdalene.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

Watched it for a second time tonight and it's still mind blowing. Picked up on a bunch of Christ figure parables with Red: the obvious dagger stab wound, the nail in the hand, and being barefoot after leaving the LSD lair - any others I'm missing?

The part where Christ crushes Satan's melon between his bare hands.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Jesus famously smote a fig tree. Red is a lumberjack and therefore a prolific tree smoter

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Red's shirt is the Shroud of Turin.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V4Yzif8jQY

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Did the Cheddar Goblin commercial get released anywhere online by itself?

I... need to have it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The forging of the Beast indeed.

http://youtubedoubler.com/pSxq

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 27, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was insanely high when I saw this last night and when that king crimson song started I knew I was In The exact right play for the next two hours.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Well oh my. This all seems pretty obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD00HW9ipSU

Mandy is just the stuff in this video jammed together.

The_Rob posted:

I was insanely high when I saw this last night and when that king crimson song started I knew I was In The exact right play for the next two hours.

I don't really know what would happen when watching this on LSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Free Drinks posted:

I don't really know what would happen when watching this on LSD.

I really wanna try watching this and dropping at the exact moment Mandy gets dosed. I feel like that would keep me sober through all the stuff I don't really wanna see on acid, including the actual acid trip scene, and then I'd be coming up right as the movie goes 0-100.