Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Think you can chug beers faster than me!?

Iconoclasts is a 2D action-adventure platformer developed by Joakim "Konjak" Sandberg whose other works include Noitu Love 2 and a few smaller projects like Legend of Princess. The game was released on Jan 23, 2018, and is available on Steam, GOG, PS4, Vita, and Nintendo Swtich.

Story

Most if not all of the story will be presented in-game; but to give you an idea of what you are getting into, here's what is on the store page:

The Store Page posted:

Robin just wants to be a mechanic and help people, but without a license she’s a sinner in Mother’s eyes. Ever since picking up her wrench, the world has been going nuts and she's wanted to bolt it back together. Now Penance is raining down on everyone she loves and One Concern agents are after her.

But something big is going on – bigger than droughts of Ivory fuel and personal conflicts – and Robin’s in the thick of it.
The LP

This will be an informative LP where most of the playthrough will be on harder mode, but we will be dipping into standard and challenge mode from time to time to show off differences, alternate strategies, etc.

Spoiler Policy

Please don't spoil anything that hasn't been covered yet.

Updates

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2018 around 17:19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

-reserved for stuff-

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Updates #1

Our story begins like any other, being awoken by some building demolition.

New Stuff

Stun-Gun
Modified stun-gun meant for warding off aggressive animals.

With standard shots, its aim tracks enemies within your facing.

Wrench
Swing it at bolts to grab them and press again to twist them.
Hold the button to spin the wrench

It is illegal to own one without being a registered mechanic.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2018 around 17:27

Really Pants
May 20, 2005

What's...where's...how do I even begin to describe your pants/underwear situation?!
You couldn't make your pants any lower, so you made pants for each leg! SAY IT!

How does Robin get her hair like that?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Magic according to this.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Really Pants posted:

It's...uh...bolted on.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

This game's amazing, and I'm glad it's being shown off to people who might not play it otherwise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It is time for your viscera to see the light of day!

I liked it but didn't love it (based on a playthrough that's somewhere around 95% done). I think it's got a few rough edges, but it's a good game, and I would definitely encourage anyone who's interested to give it a try.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

I really enjoyed this game. Once you get into it the movement is really fluid, making for fun platforming, and while the combat's never super complicated, it does build on itself as the game goes on. Also I love the art style and Robin is absolutely adorable. Despite the very cute art style, though, the game has it's moments.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

My fingers are set to vibrate

I found the aesthetics charming, but the level design can be a bit offputting at times. But I also really appreciate the plot. It bears paying attention to.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

I too like this game.

Except for some of the puzzles dealing with chests. Those can get annoying.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Neat. I was waiting for this one to go live.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Well, this game is charming as all heck.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 23, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shei-kun posted:

Well, this game is charming as all heck.

I never noticed all the other times I watched the intro stage that Agent White has no less than three sets of sunglasses on his person.

Maybe more. Very charming indeed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

me irl

Haha. The autosave icon is a literal checkpoint.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
I'm the stupidest cunt on these entire forums

Oops, I almost forgot to bookmark this thread.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gaze into the 8-ball.

Ah, I'd just finished this game! It's a little rough around the edges but pretty satisfying to play. I look forward to seeing all the worldbuilding in your playthrough with the knowledge of the rest of the game and actually figuring out what the hell is going on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Listen: we get it, you don't like the thing and that's okay. Use more creative descriptors instead of using slurs. Be considerate. Spice up your writing and also stop being a gigantic ass.

I really wanted to love this, but it just never felt right, at some points it felt infuriatingly vague about what it wanted me to do to accomplish certain things and I just never really felt particularly invested in any of the characters or the plot, not even the protagonist, so in the end I just realized I was putting up with it, rather than actually enjoying it, and put it down. Maybe I'll enjoy it more as an LP than as a game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

PurpleXVI posted:

I really wanted to love this, but it just never felt right, at some points it felt infuriatingly vague about what it wanted me to do to accomplish certain things and I just never really felt particularly invested in any of the characters or the plot, not even the protagonist, so in the end I just realized I was putting up with it, rather than actually enjoying it, and put it down. Maybe I'll enjoy it more as an LP than as a game.

Same. I liked this game for the first hour or so, after which it slowly became less enjoyable until I intensely disliked it by the end. I'll keep an eye on this LP to see if my opinion of it changes, but yeah, oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I enjoyed this game but I got stuck at points in it. Still enjoyed it once I got out but boy was I trapped there for a good 4 days before I found the right room.

This is what happens to me when I don't have a minimap or hallway to follow.