Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Why can't it be both?

Because she winces during the loud laughter, not when they're speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Because she winces during the loud laughter, not when they're speaking.

And this was established when Agent White kept accusing us of things loudly in our house.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I wanna say that there was also an earlier rewrite of the scene that made their descriptions consensual rather than rapey, but still ended with one of them coming out as gay and everyone else falling awkwardly silent. Narratively the grunts being rapists and/or homophobes adds nothing and gameplay-wise we just need the awkward pose to trip you up during the stealth sequence, so personally I'm glad Konjak chose to settle on this version.

Speaking of rewrites, in the demo the One Concern was polytheistic, referring to gods instead of a monotheistic He, so that's interesting.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Hey so quick update, I know that this thread is very overdue for a new update and I had recorded commentary last week; but after listening to it, I decided not to use it because it sounded really terrible and gross. So I am going to try to re-record this coming Saturday (assuming I don't have to work that day), and hopefully it'll turn out better than the first take. Again, super duper sorry for the hold up on my end.

If you're interested to knowing where I am in the production of these videos, I'm usually tweeting about it.
You might also get to see some special stuff I might be working on like this test animation(?) of a end-of-video bit I was planning for update 2 but had to cut for time.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Updates #3

When we last left Robin she was being detained in Settlement 17's community centre awaiting her pending penance. While there she befriends fellow detainee, Mina of the Pirates. Together they attempt to escape Settlement 17, reach Mina's water scooter that was nearby, and ride to safety. They were just mere moments from freedom when a concern soldier lobs a grenade at them blowing up the scooter along with Robin and Mina. Has our heroine met her fate so soon? Find out right now!

New Stuff

Roller Bomb Shot
Bombs that will roll along the ground. They create a concussive blast.

A charged shot shoots a missile that needs to travel a short distance before being explosive.

Also better late than never, right? Sorry for taking so dang long to get this update out. I'll try to be more on-the-ball moving forward.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Well I haven't played it since before your last update so I'm bad at this too.

Also, the bomb shot looks like a burger orb when its in isometric view.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I too enjoy the element of "triangle"

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
The scene on the boat is legit one of the funniest things. I love it. And Chrome is such a ridiculous character.

Fun stuff - if you tell the Concern soldiers you're not a girl, they actually respect that and it comes up again later.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
How do these concern people run the planet again?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Poorly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Klaus88 posted:

I imagine Agent Black is a significant contributing factor.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also having mandate on who all works where probably helps.

Those poor grunts can't do anything but be grunts.

Even that one that did good today :smith:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I like Chrome and that his theme is called Preacher.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Klaus88 posted:

Into the ground, like a meteorite!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I really appreciate the professionalism Tolo had in delivering the message exactly as written.

:allears:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I just recently finished the game myself, I'm going to watch your LP though because ideally you'll show off what I missed, some of the chests were just too annoying to get.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

MonsterEnvy posted:

I like Chrome and that his theme is called Preacher.

And wow is that a great song. The soundtrack's been really good so far, but I was actually pissed off that scene ended. Might have to pick up this game once I'm done beating my head against the brick wall that is Celeste, it seems really interesting and a nice change of pace.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I was somewhat distracted by the fact that people kept bobbing up and down in rhythm to the music in that scene. Or at least appeared to be.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Karia posted:

And wow is that a great song. The soundtrack's been really good so far, but I was actually pissed off that scene ended

During the early stages of planning this LP, there was a point where I had that track playing on loop every morning when I went to work for a solid month.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The soundtrack of this game is really high quality in general, but it's easy not to notice it because whatever's going on tends to draw your attention.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

I was somewhat distracted by the fact that people kept bobbing up and down in rhythm to the music in that scene. Or at least appeared to be.

Chrome's theme is digetic. He hides a small Bluetooth speaker on his belt and his cronies naturally groove to the beat.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Please tell me that the whole One Concern thing is just a side-mission, and that the main plot of the game is to go full Edmond Dantes and wreak bloody vengeance on the sea-captain who threw you overboard.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

inscrutable horse posted:

Please tell me that the whole One Concern thing is just a side-mission, and that the main plot of the game is to go full Edmond Dantes and wreak bloody vengeance on the sea-captain who threw you overboard.

As entertaining as that concept seems, our protagonist was not awake during that sequence and has no idea it happened.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Updates #4

Today Robin continues exploring the Shard Wasteland in hopes of finding a way out while also avoiding the many One Concern soldiers roaming the area. Unfortunately, standing in her way is not one but TWO back-to-back bosses! How will Robin escape the scorching sands of the Shard Wasteland? Find out right now!

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 23, 2019

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I like Royal. He's a good guy.

So far. I withhold final judgment for now.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I agree with Black. Chrome appears to be a narcissist.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Royal's kind of a doof. Can't even make any non-geometrically shaped flowers with his weird triangle powers.

Minor note, the boxes of geometric elements that the Concern Grunts were having you stack? The stuff you find in chests that you make tweaks out of also follow those shapes. Triangle is Improvium, Circle is Technium and X is... the odd one out. The mysterious element of X.

Very mysterious indeed.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh good. Religious zealots with superpowers. This will end well.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Rather than a machine gun, it looks like the helicopter is attacking with its propeller to me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Royal's kind of a doof. Can't even make any non-geometrically shaped flowers with his weird triangle powers.

Minor note, the boxes of geometric elements that the Concern Grunts were having you stack? The stuff you find in chests that you make tweaks out of also follow those shapes. Triangle is Improvium, Circle is Technium and X is... the odd one out. The mysterious element of X.

Very mysterious indeed.

Yeah, but there's no issue mixing the triangle and circle shaped things. I think it's just a coincidence.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Someone sure thought ten straight minutes of dialogue with no voice acting and barely any animation would fit right into a retro platformer, huh?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fiendly posted:

Someone sure thought ten straight minutes of dialogue with no voice acting and barely any animation would fit right into a retro platformer, huh?

The story is fun, and the game is not particularly retro.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Fiendly posted:

On one hand, yeah that's a lot talking; on the other though, it's ten straight minutes I don't have to say anything.

Also I don't know if I could handle this game if it had VO cause that usually doesn't turn out well for indie games.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Yep, I considered the positive side from your POV, I know I don't mind when a video I'm doing has a wad of cutscenes in it cause hey, not my fault. Definitely wouldn't think voice acting is the solution, though it did help Dust: An Elysian Tail keep its long character interactions mostly tolerable. I was just saying that for most of those scenes, 90% of the screen has nothing going on at all and the audio is just the music looping several times over, it's one of the most static things I've ever seen in a finished, released product. At least having RPG-style text boxes with character portraits indicating who's speaking would've provided something to look at in all that wasted screen space.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a lot that's a little rough around the edges here, but given that the game is a solo project, I'm willing to cut it some slack.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Something bombastic usually happens. Like the screen of Robin popping up right there, or Chrome kicking the dude into the horizon.

It's a nice bookend to the long speeches.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Fiendly posted:

A lot of the game's problems stem from people going in expecting Metroid or Megaman and instead getting Final Fantasy meets Cave Story.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This game sure does love nearly but not quite killing characters. Thats been in every update so far.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Tombot posted:

This game sure does love nearly but not quite killing characters. Thats been in every update so far.

Yeah I noticed that when I was writing up the post. If I'm remembering correctly, there aren't too many fake out deaths left.

EDIT:Also I started timing out the next section, and I'm pretty sure the next update is 90% cutscene; so upside it might not take me months to get around to working on it

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fiendly posted:

Someone thought right, imo. This game's story is fun and engaging to me.