Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

paragon1 posted:

May as well fully commit to the role, everyone else should be pretty great at attacking directly.

Yeah, just to make sure everyone is on the same page for the rest of the squad:

Clutch-Artillery/Close Fire Support
Nimrod-Stealth Range/Melee
Gawain-Full Melee Assault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I think Jack of All Trades is the way to go here, since we have no idea what we're going to run into.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
We went full Gorgon so we might as well go All the way.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
PApa River protecting his flock.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

PoultryGeist posted:

Please respect BOUDICA, THERIVER.

Roboluv blooms on the battlefield :swoon:

Also voting A.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

A because it would really suck if someone died here wouldn't it

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A

Overwatch and ewar are our job in this team. Explosions are covered, why even bring an Okafor if you're not going to use her?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
L'Étranger, looking smug: "I have an army!"
River, pouring a drink: "We have an Okafor."

*massive explosions go off in the distance*

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

. . . the Bodhisattva of Broken Noses . . .

This is a wonderful line. :allears:

PoultryGeist posted:

Mission Loadout
-Omninet hook
-EVA Module
-SCYLLA

Vote: A: Full Squad Defense

This is what we're here for; we're the shield to their swords.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
JHoZM=2Y.mh[Vigw2W;wo?w&xwJ4[k+zrc86L(Ntof"AV!T`pZt&^);c#+?q8%WT2eA]c_iZ~99iP|v
Darkness, lit by a near infinite number of monitors. Some showing busy construction drones, some showing blue-shifted warships, others showing impossibly angled light.

And one small monitor, showing grey-on-grey boxes filled with pictures and text. There’s a muffled sound and the small monitor expands, the boxes scrolling up and down. As if someone was looking for something.

”BOTHERATION! Reno, ATTEND to Me!”

There’s a cacophony of pure notes, finely tuned bells being thrown down an elevator shaft. The vague shadow is joined by another, its shape so abhorrent that the weak light flees from its angles.

”Reno, River and the rest of the PILOTS are somewhere on STAGE TWO. PLAY for them, if you WOULD be so kind.” Another disharmony of rings. ”NO. This VERSION of River is reasonably intelligent, he HAS hidden their exact location from Me.”

The discordance of light and sound leaves this particular darkness, transitioning to one far blacker. The voice speaks again, confident that the death-singer can still hear Him.

”And RENO. Make THEM suffer unto Me.”
|,n0@&xnH&$)0d>HKC*SJ6_=!D7<W<vr{Un">E6/,GE!R?O!1nTgBZmyQJ&gb]]c+i2N,FwY\Jw<

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 26, 2019

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Master Control System posted:

*Core Power: ONLINE
*NHP Interlink: ONLINE
*Sentinel Drone: PREPARED TO PROTECT
*//SCORPION v. 70.1: ALWAYS WATCHING
*Mimic Mesh: EVERYWHERE AT ONCE
*GMS EVA Module: ONLINE
*MC-DLA Lgt. Drone Nexus: ONLINE
*MC-SG Shotgun: ONLINE
*VORPAL GUN: READY TO KILL

Devotional:\\My Love for You is like a truck: Enormous, Deafening, and splattered with the blood of the Unwary.

All systems are Go, THERIVER. Baby is ready to roll.

You look from the status window to SCYLLA’s holo. ”Ah SCYLLA, can we not do those devotional things?”

No THERIVER. Obtaining the Blessing of the Godhead is vital to the endeavor.
At your arched eyebrow, she continues. The message-query is hard-coded into the startup process, the frame will not power up without it.

“... Can we just not display it?”

That is workable, THERIVER.

“Ok, let’s do that from now on mon ami.”

With a clunk, Baby makes contact with the outer surface of the station. Gawain and Nimrod are already in motion, while Clutch’s deepscans dump data into the pilotnet. You get a ping from El_Cid, Gawain sending a direct video feed from the edge of the hole in the orbital surface.

“Wing-ah, LC, Clutch’s scans were correct. The worker drones have filled the hole and spinal passages with cross-members. El_Cid and… Nimrod’s Metalmark can fit-”

”HAWTSNYPAUWU.”

Gawain continues without missing a beat. ”-but Baby and Amanirenas won’t be able to transit the passages without a reduction in speed and alot of noise. A positive, I see no signs of combat frames or reinforced internal defenses.”

You grumble to yourself a bit, traveling down the spinal passage would have let the four frames avoid the external guns and sensors, IFF spoofs can’t last forever. You turn to Okafor’s screen. ”Give me something to work with here, what’s on the scans?”

“One momen- done! As the long-distance scans revealed, there’s a centralized control hub for the station defenses just aft of the docking bay. I’m not seeing a linkage to the Omnigun emplacement, but as with the T3 version it has multiple lightly-armored power feeds. We won’t even need to enter the spinal access to reach them.”

A station map appears on a new screen, filled in with schematic info and now updating with Clutch’s scans. You’ve made contact aft of the ring, in a low-traffic zone chosen to minimize discovery. You’re closer to the Omnigun, but if you blow that before the control center, you’ll face a heightened defensive response. But moving towards the control center on the exterior and trying to gain access through the docks has a heightened risk of discovery.

But decisions like this is why they’re paying you the big manna, right?

Plan of Attack
A: Disable the Defensive Control First
Even if you’re discovered, you’ll be in a good position to knock out the station defenses
B: Disable the Omnigun First
That thing is too big and too freaky to be left alone. You can deal with normal defenses, not paracausal death
C: Split Up, We Can Do More Damage That Way
Send Nimrod and Gawain up the spinal passage to the control center while you and Clutch deal with the Omnigun. Greater risk of being outnumbered, but you can do a coordinated strike.
D: A BARBAROSSA in a China Shop
Clutch can smash through the blockages in the spinal passage, giving you access to both targets. It will be slower and make alot of noise, but you won’t have to deal with exterior guns.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 26, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
D

Also, I'm going to assume that Stranger is going to put those colonist ghosts we saw in the frames in the research station at the beginning into these scientists. Gonna be interesting to see the lyongese kill their second colony ship again.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Option D is extremely tempting, but I'm going to vote for C for now. I think we want to work quickly.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: A: Disable the Defensive Control First

I thought the plan was to disable the defenses and call in the cavalry.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

CourValant posted:

Vote: A: Disable the Defensive Control First

The giant ship killing omnigun is on its own system. Disabling it is the most important thing to do if you want to call in the cavalry. Though ideally both should be disabled.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

CourValant posted:

The defensive control center is the hub for the more traditional weapons: point-defense cannons, ontological projectors, combat subalterns, etc. The Omnigun is its own thing, and none of the SDF ships want to get close only to discover that its, in fact, fully operational.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

PoultryGeist posted:

The Omnigun is its own thing,

Honestly, I'd be a little nervous saying even this.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

wiegieman posted:

Honestly, I'd be a little nervous saying even this.

Well, insomuch as it has no direct control linkage to the command nexus and should be disabled directly for maximum safety

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A, if all the point defense guns are turned off then it'll be a lot easier to get to the projector.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B It's the objective we're closest to and our top priority. Worst case, we have to call in the fleet with conventional defenses active, something they're at least somewhat equipped to handle. Not to mention that the Omnigun is a threat to the rest of the system.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

paragon1 posted:

B It's the objective we're closest to and our top priority. Worst case, we have to call in the fleet with conventional defenses active, something they're at least somewhat equipped to handle. Not to mention that the Omnigun is a threat to the rest of the system.

agreed

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
You deliberate for just a few moments, you’ve got a schedule to keep after all. ”Towards the dock, the control center is first. If the normal stuff is offline and they can’t coordinate their defensive troops, the Omnigun will be a hell of a lot easier to deal with. I don't trust paracausal fuckery to go down simple. Nimrod, you’ve got point. Sing out before engaging.”

“Yagurl is on tha move!”

“And Clutch? Do try and keep up.”

You can hear her teeth grind over the comm, but her voice is silky smooth. ”Remember your words when you’re crying for fire support, LC. Amanirenas in motion.” An indicator lights up on the pilotnet, a private ping from Gawain.

”Not to second-guess squad command, but you do know that Ser Okafor could snap you in half without exerting herself, yes?”

“Oui mon chevalier, I do. That’s most of the fun.”

The two of you flank Clutch quickly, and the squad moves ‘up’ the spinal exterior at double-time. Soon the orbital’s hab-ring dominates your screens, still spinning to .9g and holding life support, a good sign. The spoofed IFFs have held so far, although most of the challenges have been more concerned with station-keeping among the drones that are flitting about on unknown orders. You’ve just made the transition through the ring’s spokes onto the ‘face’ of the docking bay when you get an alert from Nimrod.

”Ya bestgurl’s got eyes on shooters, on the in. SilAn pegs them as a mix of Assault and Bastion patterns. What’s tha play?”

Blips appear on the tacfeed, two sets of three emerging from hatches on either side of the bay. They spread out into standard defensive fans, covering the approach to the spinal access.

Unknown Frame (Assault-pattern) Unknown Frame (Bastion-pattern)

More information on the tacfeed, firing solutions from Clutch. A 70% chance of successful target penetration and destruction from current distance with her howitzer, a 100% shot if given time to spool up her Apocalypse Rail. More data, Nimrod and Gawain feeding in projected Time-to-Kill/Time-to-Reinforcement ratios of 0.5-0.3. Before you can do much than glance at what your squad is given you, your commpanel lights up. Not a pilotnet ping or tacfeed dump, or even a tightbeam from the fleet. An unencrypted open transmission, a smiling but deeply odd face filling the window.

”Well howdy there miss! What’s a vision of beauty such as yourself doing out in the cold? You should come along inside, Pater has said there’s varmints about!” The shifting colors of the digital face gives you an exaggerated smile and wink. ”You won’t have to worry your pretty little head about it, I’m Ibrahim Greely, the SHERIFF around these parts.”

There’s a soft but angry hiss near your shoulder, SCYLLA’s holo writhing in agitation. APEP stoops to creating Abominations. The soul-print of a human clumsily welded onto a fragment of a Splinter. IBRAHIMGREELY was the security expert on Tumaini, a good man. SCYLLA is angered by this. Severely.

Our Approach
A: Bluff Our Way Past
The IFFs are still working, take advantage and talk our way past the guards
B: Bank Shot
With Nimrod acting as a spotter, Clutch has a good chance of hitting the control center through the back wall of the docking bay. Do that, and use the confusion to run.
C: Give Clutch Time to Spool
Hold off the defenders long enough for the Apocalypse Rail to charge. The blast will obliterate the control center and most of the docking bay. (This will consume the AR’s charge for the mission)
D: Tactical Stealth Action
Play for time while Nimrod uses her frame’s stealth systems to sneak in and plant charges in the control center.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AD

Looking to maximize IBRAHIMGREELY banter.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

D, this is so hosed even SCYLLA's not cool with it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D

Run whatwasthatnoise.exe followed by whosefootprintsarethese.exe. Loop executables.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D,A,B

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

D but if poo poo goes south, try for B.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Some combination of A and D, call it the Han Solo approach.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote:

A: Bluff Our Way Past

B: Bank Shot

Let's save the 'Daily' for now, and, let's not split the party.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
C
Who knows when we're going to have another chance to sit and spool up with this much available time. It's a first strike capability/weapon, we should strike first.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Previously posted:

There’s a soft but angry hiss near your shoulder, SCYLLA’s holo writhing in agitation. APEP stoops to creating Abominations. The soul-print of a human clumsily welded onto a fragment of a Splinter. IBRAHIMGREELY was the security expert on Tumaini, a good man. SCYLLA is angered by this. Severely.

”Ah, noted. But why does he think I’m a woman?”

“THERIVER’s identification codes were extracted from PERSISTENCE. THERIVER is basically wearing PERSISTENCE’s skin as an overly large coat.”

“That’s… thank you for the clarification SCYLLA.”
You ping Nimrod with a plan of action she’ll probably enjoy and get her the count. ”Ok, mon copilote. I’m going to have to talk to him to make this work, but I didn’t load a soundboard onto Baby.”

You swear one of the snakes winks at you. Speak, THERIVER, and SCYLLA will do the rest.

A deep breath, and you flick the comm toggle. Well, hello- Your eyes widen as the voice that comes out of your mouth is not the smooth and friendly Ciorench-flavored one you’ve spent years perfecting, but PERSISTENCE’s vaguely feminine monotone affecting the same odd accent as Greely. One of SCYLLA’s windows appears in front of you:

SCYLLA posted:

Sound is merely kinetic energy in a base medium. Do continue before IBRAHIMGREELY grows suspicious.
You give her a shakey thumbs-up and continue. Hello there, SHERIFF! There’s varmints about? I do declare SHERIFF, you may have just saved my life! I was fixing to take a walk in the cool night’s air, I may have been rustled if you hadn’t come along!

A flick of your eyes tells you that Nimrod’s count has come and gone, she’s already on her way past the guards. Its too risky to run a stat-feed to the pilotnet, so you’re just going to have to keep talking until the deed is done and she pings you from a safe location.

(River Charm roll: 15, Success)
(HAWTSNYPAUWU Agility check: 23, Success)

”Its surely my pleasure to be of assistance Miss! We wouldn’t want any of Pater’s children running into trouble. H-he does… love us so. So much.” Greely’s vid trails off and stares into the middle distance for a moment before snapping back to attention with a smile. ”And Miss, I say this in the most respectful fashion, you’ve got yourself a fine set of flesh! I take it you’ve been aiding Pater in his printer project?”

“Oh you like?
You do a pirouette in Baby, before curtseying. On the pilotnet, you see Gawain arch an eyebrow in masterfully concealed amusement while Clutch cradles her head in her hands.

You continue to hold Greely’s attention, finding out that L'Étranger is still working on jailbreaking his printers for non-civilian use. Codes obtained from some of the SDF staff here has helped, but he seems to still be limited to GMS licenses. You’re about to try and charm more information out of Greely when an alarm goes off, calling all security staff to deeper within the station spindle. As one, the mechs turn and head towards the command center access.

”Stay put Miss while I go check this out! Watch the dock for me.” You’re about to order the others to attack, Nimrod having fallen prey to some trap, when you receive a ping from her:

Nimrod posted:

followed quickly by:

Nimrod posted:

You get the picture and brace Baby, Gawain and Clutch following suit. The bay trembles with the explosion’s force, the station’s position-maintenance system broadcasting a yellow momentarily before returning to green. The mechs stoop for a moment, before flooding the area with confused comp/con queries. A cackle fills the pilotnet.

”Yeaaaaaaaahboooooooooooiiii! Tha’s ya bestgurl in action! Not only did yagurl boominate tha command center, she hit tha emergency eject on the NHP casket! He’s yanked from all tha systems he was in, they running on auto now! Hi20!”

HAWTSNYPAUWU fades into view, furiously venting heat as the stealth systems disengage, all four armatures outstretched. Behind it, you can see the mech squad still bumbling, the individual comp/cons struggling with a hard shutdown and emergency reboot. Not nearly as dangerous as they were with coordinated control, but as a sizeable fraction of the mechs a station like this could support, maybe not something you want to leave behind you.

Decision One: Leadership Style
A: Give Nimrod Some Skin
She did good, reward her
B: Leave Her Hanging
There’s only room for one hotdogging daredevil on this squad, protect your niche

Decision Two: Targets of Opportunity
C: Deal with the Mech Squad
You would lose your IFF stealth, but the mechs are practically helpless right now and destroying them would mean not having to maybe deal with them later.
D: Ghost Them
Leave them be, keep your stealth. You can probably deal with the Omnigun before the mechs can be rebooted and sent after you.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A
D

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A Hi20
C

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A
C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
A (obviously)
D