Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

CourValant posted:

Also, ask SCYLLA, "What Lost, and, what Trauma?"

It most likely is something along the lines of:

Scylla, in a Prison of Her Own Creation posted:

She nods down towards the battle, now in a mop-up phase. ”And as traumatic as it was for HOUND to be forced to abandon its hegemon here, I know that SOVEREIGN survived. And that’s nothing compared to what SCYLLA has done in the service of her God.”
and

Medusa, having a not-so-friendly chat posted:

Medusa leans back in the chair, subdued. ”Because Union has something that doesn’t belong to them, and I will have it returned. Which is the entire reason my Prime studied your precious humans and created SCYLLA.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Gonna go with B here.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The ‘space is modeled after an open-air park of some sort, the smooth clean lines of the supports and the closeness of the sky make it a GMS Type-1 or -2 orbital. Great care has been taken to make it as welcoming as possible, statues and natural material walls breaking up the metal bulkheads. While folks are still logging in, you already feel a bit out of place. Your clean fatigues (the closest MSMC comes to a dress uniform) stand out in their drabness against the colorful outfits of the gathering Okafor, BOUDICA's Naval Black, and Hediye’s and Safar’s gleaming armors. You feel slightly better when Alice logs in wearing just a too-big shirt, but something about how her shadow moves slightly differently that she does keeps you from feeling too comfortable. Behind you, someone clears their throat, and you start slightly. Turning, more strange atemporal memories well up.

”Hello Pilot River. I am a homunculus of Maya Okafor, Okafor Clade’s founder. I thought it best if I introduced myself before things got started.”

Its the woman from your memories, just slightly older and full of life. You mumble a greeting of some sort, and she smiles. ”Since this is the first time we are interacting, I thought it best to offer you the choice between Standard Mode or Immersive Mode.”

“Ahh, what’s the difference Madame?”

“In Standard Mode I make no effort to hide or conceal the knowledge that I am a homunculus-type companion unit. In Immersive Mode, I act as if I am indeed the original Maya Okafor. Which would you like to engage?”

The difference between the version of Maya Okafor you met in L'Étranger’s playground and the one that stands before you now is… disconcerting. The first Madame also acknowledged the fact that she was a simulation, but she had a presence that the homunculus before you lacks. Maybe its this mode thing, but its still weird.

Out of the corner of your eye, you can see Captain Okafor approaching the small raised platform in the center of the park.

A: Standard Mode, Please
B: Immersive Mode, Madame
C: Oh Look, Things are About to Start. I’ll Catch You Later.

(A short Update to break things up a bit, there’ll be a more substantive one in a few days)

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A, so we know to perk up when someone shows up saying that they're ACTUALLY Maya Okafor

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
A

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Volmarias posted:

A, so we know to perk up when someone shows up saying that they're ACTUALLY Maya Okafor

Vote: +1

Can't fault that logic.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think A seems about right.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Yup

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
”Ah... Standard Mode, s'il vous plaît.”

The homunculus nods and is about to say something when its tackled and lifted bodily into the air. ”Bidi, you came!” Okafor (of the Hediye/Clutch variety) gives ‘Maya’ one last toss and brings her in for what would be a bone crushing hug outside legionspace. The comp/con makes a good show of wheezing slightly as it laughs, and pats the larger figure on the shoulder familiarly.

”Its good to see you too, Yeh. But if you don’t let me go, you’re going to crush your poor grandmother and then there’ll be no future hugs.

The larger Okafor laughs and sets the homunculus down. ”Sorry Bidi, but I think its your fault for getting so small.”

“No, you just have the advantage of SSC genetics. Now come, yo- Binti is starting soon."
Clutch and her ‘grandmother’ both nod to you politely and head towards the speaking platform, gathering up other Okafors as they go. You hear a ping in one ear, and see Bo-udica waving you towards the platform. Sauntering over, you give her a #3 Wink as she fusses with your uniform.

”How does a simulated uniform have wrinkles, Pilot River?” Her lips do not move, the sound originating in your aural pickups. ”This is the first function I’ve organized since the Okafors put their necks out for me, and I want it to go perfectly.” You catch her hands and hold them gently.

”You are damned good at your job and ready to kick rear end when needed. You fit in here Mademoiselle Okafor, and the rest recognize that. You’re fine” Boudica smiles widely, and a vaguely serpentine bit of the landscape relaxes in the corner of your vision. On the platform Captain Okafor steps forwards, the ‘space making amplification unnecessary.

”Thank you for all coming on such short notice. I would not have called for another Executive Council meeting if it hadn’t been important. As several of you know, I have been working with 1st Commandant Ashtar of High Command. In the wake of the attacks on Amarkantak Blinkstation and the LSDF research orbital, they have asked for the Clade’s assistance with two more situations that are developing.” A globe of Liyongo Primary appears, zooming down to the western side of the main continent. A medium-sized city comes into view, built along Colonial Best Practices guidelines.

”Zufan has been experiencing widespread infrastructure failures post-PERSISTENCE removal and initiation of the backup comp/cons. The local councils had hoped that it was just a buggy backup system, but at 1131 ULT yesterday a corrupted PERSISTENCE subjectivity made its presence known, attempting to gain control of the municipal reactors. It was locked out and a general evacuation ordered, but subverted subalterns and drones have cordoned off large sections of the city.”

The globe zooms out again, spinning around to a chain of islands in the southern polar regions. ”Additionally, a resource development-slash-geologic examination facility in the Polar Anomalous Region has been radio-dark for nearly 48 hours. Intermittent contact with SPBS-3 is not uncommon due to the local magnetic flux and volcanic activity, but Ground Control can’t even pick up the carrier wave. More worrisome, the last report that SPBS-3 did send was that a large-ish chunk of O-8 had made landfall nearby.”

The map disappears, replaced by a multitude of personnel snapshots. ”Of course, High Command has the whole of LSDF at its disposal, especially since these sites are terrestrial. But they recognize that Okafor Clade has a large number of emergency response personnel as members, as well as being the local experts in dealing with wayward NHPs. And if it was just these two events, I wouldn’t have gathered you all. But Pilot River, who has fallen into our laps due to politics, has additional information regarding SOLOMON. Pilot River?”

Captain Okafor steps aside, yielding the platform to you. Affecting a jaunty stride, you take her place. You’re not too proud to admit that that combined stare of the leaders of Okafor Clade is intimidating. The same keen eyes and easy posture you saw in MSMC vets, but all civilians except for the Captain. You give them all a #1 Smile and activate the datacrys, a pictograph of the area around the Liyongo system springing to life. ”Bon jour, mes amis. As I’m sure you’re all familiar with the tale of the Tumaini, SOLOMON, and Madame Okafor, I’ll skip that part. As we’ve figured out, Tumaini didn’t explode, it blinked away. And L'É- ah, SOLOMON has been a busy boy.” A handful of blue dots appear, scattered about the area. ”These are the muon hotspots that Captain Okafor brought to me as possible leads on SOLOMON. And that was correct, after a fashion.”

Holos pop out of the dots, displaying large structures in space of non-standard construction. They all seem to be collectors of some sort, large arrays built around a central core. One of the holos, holding the largest structure, flashes. ”That’s M4, the one that the Union Expeditionary Force is heading to. And while it looks like a good place to set up shop, if you examine all the structures you find they have a certain… polarity to them.” Arrows animate on the holos, flowing from the arrays to the cores and then out as a single beam into space. When looked at all at once, there’s a nexus of these beams in a dark area of space. ”Now this could be a coincidence, but my friends from out of town were in the area recently and found this-”

A new holo opens, showing the dying embers of a brown dwarf. A smallish Dyson panel fills the rest of the view, arrayed in a very familiar pattern: a GMS Type-1 Blinkstation, in miniature. ”My sources say that the muon hotspots are feeding into this structure, and its already causing disturbances in the blink. Also, this-” Another view of the panel, magnified. Hard to see against the station’s bulk, a modified MAUI-type colony ship. ”This is SOLOMON’s base of operations, hitting him there will severely hamper his plans.”
There’s a general murmur as the Okafors digest this information, then an older man speaks up (Auni Okafor appearing in your ident). ”This is rather impressive Pilot River, I don’t want to diminish your achievement here. But wouldn’t it be best to turn this over to Union? Even though they’re in transit to the wrong site, Task Force HOPPER is still only a week or so at nearlight from this… base of operations. Anything Okafor Clade or the LSDF could launch would take nearly a month to get there.” There’s murmurs of agreement from some of the Okafors, and you nod.

”Letting Union handle this is an option, but our hands aren’t completely tied here. SCYLLA?” BOUDICA looks up and clears her throat.

”Just a moment, I’ll connect to th-”

”Unnecessary, SCYLLA is here.”
You can’t help but notice BOUDICA start as SCYLLA’s voice sounds from a sinuous heat-shimmer in front of the platform.

”Ah, bein. SCYLLA, my sources tell me that some of the entities you know can forgo blinkstations if need be. Like say, your friend with their own private moon?” SCYLLA is silent for an awkwardly long amount of time, and you begin to fear that you might have had a little too much cider last night. Then SCYLLA speaks again, voice strange. Not with the ill-concealed annoyance that is usual, but with… shocked tones?

”THERIVER! THEGODHEAD is not a taxi service

You recover and continue quickly, eager to maintain control of the situation. ”As you say SCYLLA, perhaps one of your other associates?”

The pause is shorter this time, but the reluctance is think in the NHP’s voice. ”Yes, one of HIEROPHANT’s spawn could be bargained with. But the price will not be cheap THERIVER.”

Plan of Action
A: Assist LSDF with the Operation in Zufan
Turn over the information to Union and stay planetside to help out with the PERSISTENCE sub
B: Assist LSDF with the Operation in the Polar Anomalous Region
Turn over the information to Union and stay planetside to help investigate the silent polar outpost
C: Convince the Okafor Clade to Go to SOLOMON’s Base in Force (Charm Roll and A Cost)
Get as many Okafor as you can to help strike at L'Étranger’s base, paying whatever this HIEROPHANT wants to transport you all.
D: Transport Yourself to Task Force HOPPER (A Cost)
Have HIEROPHANT send you to TF HOPPER so you can redirect them to L'Étranger’s base and finish him off with Union as backup.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

are our mechs rated for polar work? if so B

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

are our mechs rated for polar work? if so B

Mech frames are generally ok with most harsh environments, especially those found on an inhabitable world. Extremes can cause some issues (heat overload, difficult terrain, negative Conditions), but we and our mechs won't freeze solid if we go to the PAR.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

PoultryGeist posted:

Mech frames are generally ok with most harsh environments, especially those found on an inhabitable world. Extremes can cause some issues (heat overload, difficult terrain, negative Conditions), but we and our mechs won't freeze solid if we go to the PAR.

Cool I know IRL you need special fluids, certain metals need to be avoided etc.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theres a fwiggin' genocide going on acwass da borda, why dont we do sumfin..? pweeez no votey for joe biden uWu
what-was-HOUND grasps her fragment of the godhead imperfectly. admittedly "taxi service" is an ignoble translation of bodhisattva, but the service performed remains.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Toughy posted:

Cool I know IRL you need special fluids, certain metals need to be avoided etc.

This is true, but it seems to be a solved issue in the year 5016u:
https://twitter.com/simonroyart/status/1153414590270590976?s=20

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

CD

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CD, failing that B

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

Plan of Action

Vote: C: Convince the Okafor Clade to Go to SOLOMON’s Base in Force (Charm Roll and A Cost)

We didn't come all this way to miss the Big Dance.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
C and then failing that B for a backup plan.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Kai Tave posted:

This

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A I think we should let the fine folks of Union trip whatever nasty traps our enemy has definitely set for us while we prevent mass casualties, which is SOLOMON's goal.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Kai Tave posted:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Update in a day or two, got a bit behind on some IRL stuff and also made the opening of Mission 4 more complicated than I thought

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

Update in a day or two, got a bit behind on some IRL stuff and also made the opening of Mission 4 more complicated than I thought

:wave: No worries! Take your time!

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
The Surface of Tyrant-781-pre

Convincing the Executive Council of the merits of a lightning strike on L'Étranger’s base of operations is not an easy task, especially with the threats and risks on Liyongo.
(Charm Roll: 14[Partial Success])
But this is not the first time you’ve had to sway a strong-willed crowd, and Captain Okafor and some others with LSDF experience are more open to your plan. In the end, you get more than you feared but less than you hoped.

Holding position a few kilometers from the asteroid you currently walk on is Watchful Makeda, loaded with your teams frames and several heavy-weapons subaltern squads ‘on loan’ from the LSDF. Its joined by the Industrious Bathsheba, an in-system freighter who’s holds now contain miners, OrbSec, and LSDF personnel on leave. In the three days since the meeting they’ve already worked out an org chart and integrated their weapons and equipment into BOUDICA’s strategic engine.

Which means its now time for you to do your part, which is why you’re approaching the beacon on foot. Baby pads silently behind you, SCYLLA barely even disturbing the metallic crust of the asteroid. The beacon is a standard GMS model, and as you sight the transmitter a shape shimmers into view next to it.

The pilot disengages from the miniature frame, and you realize that they are a sizable fraction of the frame’s height. ”Merde, aren’t you a bit big to be a Goblin?” You used the frequency that the message listed, but there’s no immediate response. You’re about to sweep the commband when your headset crackles.

”I’d ask if you were a bit small to be a Gorgon, but I know better than to insult one of Scylla’s pilots.” A satisfied rattle echoes a bit over the comm. “You’re River I take it? Queen here, let’s take a look at the details.” The pilot’s voice is heavily distorted, but oddly familiar all the same. Trying not to stare at the subaltern face that you can now see makes up the front of this Queen’s helmet, you flash her the specs of your two ships and the location you want to go.

Queen grunts. ”There and back I take it, as that whale of a hauler doesn’t have a nearlight drive. What do you think, Sy?” Her frame shifts slightly (from looking at Baby?) to look at its pilot.

”While the Cur of Mars seeks once again to take advantage of Our skills-, there’s a warning rattle and the Goblin quickens the pace of its self-aggrandizement, ”let it not be said that We are not generous in Our glory. We can indeed edit these humans and their vessels to the King’s Landing and back again.”

Queen shrugs. ”If Sy says we’re good, you’re good. Now, the charge for services rendered. You’ll be on the hook for lending me a hand if I need it in the future. Still in the planning stages, but nothing a MSMC boy would have a problem with…”

The pause is loaded, and you trigger it with a hidden roll of your eyes. ”Oui, that sounds reasonable. And…?”

Queen shakes their helmet slightly, and your comm picks up the very edge of some sort of quickburst between pilot and frame. They reach into a cargo pouch and pull out a secured data wafer. ”I’ve checked your ship’s manifest, you’ve got a Binti Okafor on board. Give her this wafer and tell her its ‘Eyes Only’. Then we’re square."

With a shrug you take the wafer and sketch a salute. Queen gives you one of their own (a style you’ve seen as recently as this morning), and mounts/straps on the Goblin. As you turn to leave there's another quickburst, and you get the echoes of it through your open channel with Baby.

”We are all too happy to help the Cur kill another of its mistress’ souls, it seems to enjoy it so much.”

A nickel-iron boulder shatters under Baby’s step, but there’s no other reaction from SCYLLA. Turning back, you see that the beacon and Goblin are gone. Looking up, you pat Baby’s leg. ”gently caress’em, mon ami. Right in whatever passes for their ear.” SCYLLA says nothing, but you find yourself scooped into the cockpit and thrusting back to your miniature fleet.

Question 1: The Data Wafer
A: Give It To Captain Okafor
B: Open It Yourself, Then Give It To The Captain

Question 2: Plan of Attack
We have a sizeable force of arms, but not as many as we could and therefore need to prioritize targets. We can make alterations once we’re on-site, but this determines our initial vectors and such.
C: Seize the Tumaini First
All intelligence indicates that L'Étranger’s casket is still mounted in the former colony ship’s data vault. Let’s cut off the head of the snake.
D: Seize the Power Array First
The system that L'Étranger has been charging with exotic energy is to big an unknown to leave alone. Storm the section of the Dyson panel that stores it and take it out of his hands.
E: He’ll Never Expect Us to Divide Our Forces
The colony ship is tighter quarters, send half your troops with Nimrod and Gawain there, while you and Clutch take the other half to the power array.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

E

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AC

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

PoultryGeist posted:

Question 1: The Data Wafer

Vote: A: Give It To Captain Okafor

Let's not mess with Goblin Lady, we already owe her enough for this job.

PoultryGeist posted:

Question 2: Plan of Attack

Vote: D: Seize the Power Array First

Let's make sure we disrupt whatever L'Étranger is planning first; we can kill him another day.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
A

D
- The proper way to handle a cackling supervillan is to apply their very own WMD to their face, repeatedly.

@PoultryGeist I am having a bit of difficulty following the story sometimes as you switch very rapidly between given name, callsign, eponym and sometimes refer to the frame by its own name/NHI's name in quick succession. Would it be possible to request a list of Dramatis Personae?

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 24, 2019

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Z the IVth posted:

@PoultryGeist I am having a bit of difficulty following the story sometimes as you switch very rapidly between given name, callsign, eponym and sometimes refer to the frame by its own name/NHI's name in quick succession. Would it be possible to request a list of Dramatis Personae?

Sure, not a problem! I'll get something worked up tonight.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AD

I'm assuming the Tums will be a trap

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Dramatis Personae

Mak Banh, ‘River’: Our hero, a MSMC pilot on loan to the Liyongo Self-Defense Force (kinda). Pilots the frame Baby
Sgt. Hediye Okafor, ‘Clutch’: A former sergeant in the Liyongo Self-Defense Force, Hediye is the first Liyongese to complete mech pilot training. Pilots the frame Amanirenas.
Alice Un, A/K/A Marquesa Alicia-Cinder, of House Glass, of etc ‘Nimrod’: An Omninet hnfluencer, HORUS agent, Baronal heir, and yabestgurl, all rolled into one tiny package. Pilots the frame HAWTSYNPA4U.
Akram bin Adil Safar ‘Gawain’: A Loyal Wing of the Albatross on a penance quest, a quiet man with a heart of gold and a fist of neutronium. Pilots the frame El_Cid.
L'Étranger / Sebetat / APEP / The Man In Black / That Which Was Once SOLOMON: SOLOMON was SOVEREIGN-Class NHP that was to be the Colonial Concierge for the Bastion colony. An encounter with a navigational hazard killed the human crew of the colony ship Tumaini, and a betrayal by the fledgeling Liyongo colony lead to a god-complex cascade where the entity now seeks to remake part of reality and get revenge on the Liyongese.
Captain Binti Okafor: A former Captain in the LSDF and Union Auxiliary, released from service for multiple violations of Union Regulatory Code. Leader of the ship Watchful Makeda, and mother of Hediye (among impolite company).
Boudica Okafor ‘BOUDICA’: A SOVEREIGN-Class NHP that was originally an Auxiliary Command and Control Unit. Removed from service due to cascade/corruption fears, the primary casket was salvaged by Captain Okafor and given citizenship in Okafor Clade.
SCYLLA: A NHP that River received as part of his HORUS Gorgon license. SCYLLA has her own reasons for opposing L'Étranger, hinting that it is part of some larger effort.
PERSISTENCE: A VIRTUE-Class NHP, the Colonial Concierge for the Liyongo colony. Corrupted/forced into cascade by L'Étranger, most of the subjectivities have been quarantined. The remainder have been causing issues for the Liyongese.
The Chief: A veteran of the LSDF, and the most skilled printermaster in the system. Currently on loan to Watchful Makeda.
Maya Okafor: One of the crewmembers of the colony ship Nguvu, and was instrumental in maintaining the damaged craft long enough for it to reach Liyongo. Founded Okafor Clade and died young due to the overwhelming radiation exposure. Is still around in two forms: a homunculus maintained by Okafor Clade, and as a hate-simulation living within L'Étranger.
Ruth: Alice’s personal NHP friend/assistant/minder, modeled after her dead Second.
Yonas Desta: A shift-leader among the crews that built and maintained Amarkantak Station, he assisted River and the rest in defending the station from L'Étranger’s attack. Has been seen with Loyal Wing Safar when their duties permit.
Administrator Bainly: The Union Administrator for Liyongo (and the Reach by default). Has spent most of his time since arrival coordinating with Task Force HOPPER re: BLACK PARADE.
VIGILANCE: A VIRTUE-Class NHP, Bainly’s aide and companion. Has spent most of her time attempting to deal with the BOUDICA and PERSISTENCE situations.
The Reclaimer: Un Volador, who found River in the Blink and pulled him out. They also gave him the location of L'Étranger’s base of operations in return for a critique of their attack on a HA station.
Meriwa: A Sparri warrior, she’s the head of Reclaimer’s Espada mercenaries.
Auni Okafor: A member of the Executive Council for Okafor Clade, a highly experienced Rescue/Repair Technician.
‘Queen’: A HORUS pilot of unknown origin, answered our request for help getting to L'Étranger’s base. Pilots an unnamed Goblin frame.
Sy: Queen’s NHP, most likely an OSIRIS-Class. Very rude and dislikes SCYLLA.
Lt. Haile: Leader of 1st Recon, LSDF. Currently transferred to the Auxiliary and part of Task Force HOPPER.
PoultryGeist: Some Goober that has a backdoor into the GALSIM facility on Mars.

Locations
Durango Reach: A small Mid-Range area of space that includes the Liyongo system and a few other fresh colonies
Liyongo: The name of the system and primary habitable world that the game takes place in. Still small by many standards, it is still on the cusp of Core designation
Tyrant: The gas giant that dominates the outer reaches of the Liyongo system
Amarkantak Station: The blinkstation built to service the Durango Reach, it occupies the L5 spot between Liyongo’s star and Tyrant.
Ciocelle: The homeworld of River, an old Core world that is being economically and materially drained by a neighboring world.
Estrella: A habitable world in the other half of Ciocelle’s binary system, Estrella was secretly established as a haven for Ciocelle’s former elite and is using predatory material transfer agreements (and HA ‘advisors) to strip anything of value from Ciocelle while staying below DoJ/HR’s Emancipation Threshold.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Actually, just thinking out loud, are Langford Basilisks or Cognito-hazards a thing in this universe?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Volmarias posted:

Actually, just thinking out loud, are Langford Basilisks or Cognito-hazards a thing in this universe?

Memetic weapons/brain-busters are definitely HORUS' stock in trade. From our very on Gorgon frame:

Lancer pdf posted:

The GORGON is unique among HORUS mech core parameters in that the classification describes a
defensive rigging of weapons and systems meant to ensure personal and allied survival. The typical
GORGON mounts multiple weapon systems meant to intercept and neutralize incoming fire and is widely
feared for its ability to extrude a horrifying ‘basilisk’, a projected pattern of impossible visual data so toxic to
logical thought that it causes massive failure in electronic systems and can cause temporary blindness or
hemorrhage in humans.
The BASILISK Directed Anticognition Hyperfractal is a Horus-script-derived liturgicode translated for
chassis-tier engagement. Typically point-broadcasted from a communications laser, the BASILISK
liturgicode is a memetic weapon that affects any who can see it, unless they have had the proper
tempering. Survivors often exhibit momentary paralysis, corporeal alienation, and consciousness
destabilization. Anticognition Hyperfractals are classified as paracausal weapons -- as of yet, there is no
effective defense against them.

Also, given NHPs' tendency to overthink to the point of disrupting the programming giving them a humanistic point of view, things that mess with thought patterns are highly useful beyond meat-brains.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Volmarias posted:

Yeah we're riding one, it owns.

Gonna also throw in a vote for A and D for reasons already mentioned by others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

What I meant was "could this data disk be physically harmful"