Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B

Distracting that thing means drawing its attention to us, and that just sounds like a fantastically bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No they aren't. That statement is so incredibly off base that you've left the stadium and started working as a short order cook at Waffle House.

For starters, they won their bug war super easily. :colbert:

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 9, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty hard for anyone to own a third of the galaxy when they're restricted to one spiral arm of it. And the copro-states are as much direct competitors with Union as they are a part of it. And if you're not counting any human civ as non-union then you've got exactly one data point that was a result of a breakdown in diplomacy and not general policy. Union is massive and complex and definitely not always the good guys, but calling them crypto-fascist is uncharitable to the point of being disingenuous.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I was talking about the Aun, actually. There's a few concrete examples of how the Union and its corpro-states deal with people in practice between the flashpoints and the sample adventure and they pretty consistent on just how horrible they are. I'm not calling them crypto-fascists, they're just plain old fascists. If the f-word upsets you, an expansionist empire of habitually genocidal state corporatists with a penchant for valuing people mainly for their genetic quantum and running little volkisch people-zoos. What's missing, Speer's architecture?

My problem is that you're taking qualities of specific factions that are held apart in the source book and applying it to the whole thing. Smith-Shimano isn't Union. Harrison Armory isn't Union. If they were Union then they'd just be called that. Insisting that they are is straight up incorrect. UN/HR wouldn't exist if they only valued people for their genetics, and source material makes it blatantly obvious that there's internal divisions on what exactly to do about the copro-states.

Additionally, there's a whole ideological framework underpinning fascism that makes it what it is, none of which is present at an interstellar level in Union. Expansionist hegemon does not equal fascist. You have to cherry-pick the absolute worst qualities of everyone in the setting, mix them all together, and portray it the worst possible light to even get in the neighborhood.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 10, 2018

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Baby's got a new pair of shoes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C provides an opportunity for even MORE awkward questions! :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pump up the jams,
Kick in the door
HA made money,
On the Estrella war!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Okafor's setup plus our own means anything short of an actual team of combat mechs is going to have a real bad time.

And not that we care but the station probably doesn't need any more holes in it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B a ninja.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C Can't think of a pressing reason for us to get into fracas out here.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A Okafor is better set up to operate independently right now. We need to know when to trust others to get the job done.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
CE Our opposition's operational tempo has proven to be a tad unpredictable. I don't think we have the luxury of time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Since when has something not being someone's fault ever stopped them from getting blamed for it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh man I want that assault cannon but the AI was a good choice.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A

B isn't a bad plan but I feel the need to layout an alternative. It may well be impossible to extract that many civilians quietly. A large assault in force gives us more to work with, and has a chance of knocking out all opposition quickly.

Actually that gives me an idea, would it be possible to do B, but with the goal of knocking the local sensors offline long enough for an all out attack as per A?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Changing my vote from A to D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I figure it's pretty hard to hit what you can't see, but yeah confirming the status/presence of any paracausal weaponry onsite should be a priority.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Let's do Full Squad Defense.

May as well fully commit to the role, everyone else should be pretty great at attacking directly.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B It's the objective we're closest to and our top priority. Worst case, we have to call in the fleet with conventional defenses active, something they're at least somewhat equipped to handle. Not to mention that the Omnigun is a threat to the rest of the system.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D

Run whatwasthatnoise.exe followed by whosefootprintsarethese.exe. Loop executables.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
AD

Game recognizes game. Lets stay on target.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah CWe're already in position to blow it up. May as well make sure that will actually do what we want it to do.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A Not quite time for BOOOOORTLEEEEEES

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Robo-Mad Hatter voice: CHANGE PLACES!!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Pose as a team, because poo poo just got real.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We don't need infinity.

B We got guns, We got guns, Motherfuckers better run.

Killing Strangers

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hell, same

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Yeah let's not create a being incapable of empathizing with us while inside the war robot it's driving.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A I don't wanna miss anyone's traumatic backstory.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He'd get tossed into being an instructor in a combat frame training cadre SO FAST

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B It's important to be a good guest.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B, L3 If I'm not mistaken we're still at a big disadvantage if an enemy closes to melee. Repulsor field seems like a good counter to that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A I'm guessing this means we kept the weapon from firing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A I think we should let the fine folks of Union trip whatever nasty traps our enemy has definitely set for us while we prevent mass casualties, which is SOLOMON's goal.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B We're here in force, and I'd prefer not to repeat tactics we've done very recently. It's too likely that the enemy will expect it

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C These people have the fight of their lives ahead of them and enough NHP nonsense to deal with as it stands.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Run Zork.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C Being visibly confused never made anyone less confused.