Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'll admit to having only a limited knowledge of the shenanigans that take place in GoT on account of the books are so terrible I can hardly stand to read them, but I'd wager they barely hold a candle to the cruelties Jack Vance wreaks upon his hapless characters.

I recently started reading Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden and I just got to the part where a pair of children trick a body-stealing witch into switching bodies with a pig, then sell the pig to a butcher without batting an eyelid and I had to pause and exclaim "Jesus Christ" at how unflinching Jack Vance is at doling out violent misfortune to good and evil characters like. This is of course after the titular Suldrun hangs herself in grief from having her baby stolen from her and her true love cast into a pit and the simple, loving surrogate mother to Suldrun has her tongue split lengthwise as punishment for refusing to give up the location of said child, only to have that location divulged anyway.

Also there's a cannibalistic, child-rapist ogre that I could have done without but drat if it wasn't brutal as poo poo.

So far there's no so much graphic description of incest as I'm given to understand as takes place in Game of Thrones but I don't particularly mind.

What's GoT got to compete with Jack Vance sheer, sick, twisted callous disregard for the life and happiness of his protagonists? I know a one-eyed man died or something and a kid got thrown from a window because he glimpsed the brother and sister having sex but apart from that it seems pretty tame by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't understand the point of this bad thread.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

To talk about how much better Lyonesse is than GoT. Sorry about your poor reading comphrension.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i just read good literature OP, like anything by ernst cline and redwall.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

is this like some kinda book

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tom Gorman posted:

is this like some kinda book

Something like that.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

daaaaaaaang

nice

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I'm glad you like it, but i don't like bad things to happen to characters i am reading about because it makes me sad.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

I'm glad you like it, but i don't like bad things to happen to characters i am reading about because it makes me sad.

Yeah it makes me sad, too. A lot of times I gotta put the book down and take a breather because it’s so tragic.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
I have the trilogy and love it.
The second one is good but it helps if you are on something.

Vance was definitely a writer of his time.
Fuckin' PC crowd would hate his books today.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Dogeh posted:

Vance was definitely a writer of his time.
Fuckin' PC crowd would hate his books today.

TBF fuckin' PC crowd hates everything always forever.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Whens it coming to Showtime?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whens it coming to Showtime?

GoT or Lyonnesse?

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for the brutality, next time could you give us ice cream?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dogeh posted:

GoT or Lyonnesse?

the grimdark medieval one with mediocre writing and gratuitous sexual violence

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
what if a book comes out thats more brutal?

what then?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Mmm imma go eat some icecream

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

cugel is the best and most relatable protagonist in all of fantasy fiction

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

My Imaginary GF posted:

the grimdark medieval one with mediocre writing and gratuitous sexual violence

Soon ...

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

free hubcaps posted:

I want to know more

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Dogeh posted:

You mean like take drugs and read a book??

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Borrowed Ladder posted:

You mean like take drugs and read a book??

Yeah.
It makes more sense if you do.
It was written in the 80s

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

so like, it's better because it's ediger and has a jared fogle shrek?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I dunno OP, one dude in game of the thrones gets his cock n balls chopped off. Not sure you can top that.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Edgy The Book is like, really edgy and totally rad.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Ralph Hurley posted:

I dunno OP, one dude in game of the thrones gets his cock n balls chopped off. Not sure you can top that.

I thought Frey pie was great.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

To talk about how much better Lyonesse is than GoT. Sorry about your poor reading comphrension.

You're right. That bog standard book series you read is definitely better than the one you haven't read.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

504 posted:

You're right. That bog standard book series you read is definitely better than the one you haven't read.

Lyonesse is not “bog standard” and it’s not “edgy.” It’s brutality doesn’t come from purient wannabe shock value, the brutality comes from the raw, pitiless skill of a master storyteller.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I don't like Fantasy because it sucks and doesn't have the political or sub-textual complexity of Sci-Fi this is probably a bad opinion since I'm biased but I don't really want to bother reading through a fuckton of garbo Fantasy recommendations in order to find something I actually find tolerable.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

free hubcaps posted:

Croaker was pretty cool before poo poo got way wacky

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't like Fantasy because it sucks and doesn't have the political or sub-textual complexity of Sci-Fi this is probably a bad opinion since I'm biased but I don't really want to bother reading through a fuckton of garbo Fantasy recommendations in order to find something I actually find tolerable.

Jack Vance writes Sci Fi, too. You should check out Tales of the Dying Earth or The Demon Princes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Applewhite posted:

Jack Vance writes Sci Fi, too. You should check out Tales of the Dying Earth or The Demon Princes.

Sounds Unchristian, I'm afraid I cannot.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Applewhite posted:

And Tschai is good

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I’d rather get cholera than cancer, but they’re both still bad. So I’m not reading the books you recommend OP

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've started writing a book series with the most violent and depraved poo poo I could come up with, so bad that it causes permanent psychological damage that will cost thousands in therapy bills to undo. I've consulted with a team of sociopaths, murderers, and politicians to create the most hosed up book series of all time. Just reading three pages will ruin all of your relationships and render you sterile. And you'll have to wait 8 years for a sequel!!! Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I waited six years for A Dance With Dragons, I can do 8 probably

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

I moved onto the hard stuff, AKA historical fiction. I recommend the Rome series by Colleen McCollough and Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell

Stonehenge for instance is written using Archaeological evidence to paint a picture of the prehistoric societies that turned a wooden Cairn into the majestically manufactured stone site we're enchanted by today

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

house of the dad posted:

I've started writing a book series with the most violent and depraved poo poo I could come up with, so bad that it causes permanent psychological damage that will cost thousands in therapy bills to undo. I've consulted with a team of sociopaths, murderers, and politicians to create the most hosed up book series of all time. Just reading three pages will ruin all of your relationships and render you sterile. And you'll have to wait 8 years for a sequel!!! Ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Excellent literature showcasing the reality of things! Bravo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Game of Thrones isn’t good because it’s brutal, and in fact it just isn’t good period.

• Locked thread