Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

When it's underwater does it get wet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Patriots didnt look that bad but the Jags definitely outplayed them.

:siren: The Jags won with a -1 turnover differential. A fumble by a rookie and a deflected pass that was intercepted vs a strip sack on Brady. I still cant believe it.

Yeah, Pats dared Bortles to beat them and he did. They were blitzing pretty much constantly and leaving everyone 1 on 1 with no help and Bortles picked it apart. Also had a ton of trouble with pressure up front thanks to Marcus Cannon's missing the game and couldn't get any pressure on the Bort despite a whole lot of double a gap blitzes.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine he keeps the game 2 check too unless there's some provision specifically written in there about retiring in the middle of the game/refusing to play/whatever. Which might exist, I don't know.

I believe NFL contracts have a provision about refusing to play so they can probably fine him that week's game check if they really want that 200 grand or whatever (otherwise imagine what Bell would do). The fun part will be if Buffalo goes after the signing bonus they gave him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So here's the list of passer ratings for the week, this probably isn't healthy for the sport:

To put it in perspective, Aaron Rodgers career passer rating would be in the bottom half of this list.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And one of them wasnt Bortles?! :psyboom:

one of them wasn't even Blaine Gabbert

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

What a world we live in...

Kalli, who are the top 5 and bottom 5?

Top 5: Mahomes / Fitzmagic / Rivers / Tannehill / Cousins

Bottom 5: Bradford / Keenum / Allen / Darnold / Flacco

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/TreyBizzy/status/1041900255040757760/video/1

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

CyberPingu posted:

I mean most of those dozens of hours must have been spent watching Bort be utterly terrible.

Yeah, I mean it is what happened. They gameplanned to take away the run and passes over the middle of the field and force Bort to throw outside.

The Jaguars had Bort throw on 1st down and he was able to hit those outside throws.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

I was pretty amused by the fact that the Bengals don't have a single game left this season that isn't at 1 PM local time.

Yeah, hmm, Bengals have a fun schedule, let's see SNF Flex scheduling begins week 5.

Steelers @ Bengals week 6!... ain't pushing out Chiefs - Patriots
Bengals @ Chiefs week 7 might be a much better game then Rams - 49ers, but that probably doesn't get moved either.
week 8 Bengals - Buccs isn't touching Saints- Vikings
week 10 is Cowboys - Eagles so lol
Here we go... week 13 Broncos @ Bengals is probably a much better game then 49ers-Seahawks
Failing that week 14 Bengals @ Chargers sounds better then Steelers - Raiders.
And week 17 Bengals @ Steelers could be a fun one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Week 17 doesnt have a night game though, does it? I thought all games were 1:00 and 4:00 to prevent stinkers.

That's the slot that's left open so they can pick whatever the most interesting game will be.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

As a Saints fan, this seems familiar.

Patriots last year were 1st / 3rd / 31st.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

winning with a top level offense is sustainable for quite a while compared to defenses :v:

Let's see.. the most gently caress defense team of each year:

2016: Falcons 1st / 7th / 26th
2015: Bills 9th / 24th / 12th
2014: Steelers 2nd / 12th / 30th or Saints 7th / 11th / 31st
2013: Chargers 2nd / 15th / 32nd
2012: n/a
2011: Packers 1st / 8th / 25th, Saints 2nd / 12th / 28th, Patriots 3rd / 5th / 30th.

Coincidentally basically all these teams were in the top 10, showing yeah, offense is more important then defense now. Schatz has mentioned in the past it used to be 3 parts offense, 3 parts defense, 1 part ST, and now it's closer to 4 O / 3 D / 1 S.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1042205608605298689

As a responder points out... the Lions did not in fact receive the ball to start the 2nd half.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

I think that says more about the Bills roster than the picks.

Yeah, that's the problem with trying to take a big picture view of draft picks. Because most bad teams will get more starts out of a draft then a good team, and you can't just use how a team's doing, because some teams will just coast off great top end talent for awhile until talent rot completely eats that away, looking at you pre-2016 Saints.

Also drafting is pretty random, and you don't really know if you killed a draft until 2-3 years after it happened, leading to the general consensus of how good a GM is almost always being a few years out of date. The best example here is probably Seattle, where they absolutely crushed 2011-2012, then had a bunch of mediocre to lousy drafts, and so they had a great run then petered out as those misses drained them of talent.

Belichick takes a lot more gambles then a GM typically should in the draft, because he has the roster / ability to risk it. Sometimes that works out great and you get a Gronk, sometimes you draft a guy with paper mache knees or a murder machine. All in all, he's probably an above an average drafter, just his last like 5 years of drafts had stuff like successful guards and other low-name recognition players, outside of the two QB's. Of course, he was crushing the drafts early in the decade, and so the Pats crazy success was helped a ton by that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it's a good reminder that the comp pick system is just busted and exploited by good teams to get free draft capital. Just replace it with an 8th round of the draft.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Right, he's missing a bit in drafts, but there's more to being a competent GM than drafting well, and being the coach and GM at the same time gives him a lot more freedom to bring in guys that fit specific roles. Players are mostly plug'n'play for him, so he just gets tons of free draft picks for letting free agents walk, which... I mean god drat, the guy just knows what he's doing.

Of course Brady taking massive pay cuts to free up cap space for free agents helps a lot. IDK what the NFLPA should do about that, or if they should, but that's a raw deal for the other 31 teams.

To be fair, for like 3 years all that cap savings was used up on Aaron Hernandez's dead money :v:

But yeah, from watching how Belichick works the draft my general thoughts are teams undervalue middling veterans, teams lose tons of roster talent when they fire coaches and install a new system, and the comp pick system has been completely perverted and has to change.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hey Josh, you know what's even better then alcohol and weed? avocado infused whippets. You should come by the health center later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pubic works project posted:

what exactly did Edelman get popped for? because Josh doesn't want any of that

Roids. The official line is it's something they can't exactly detect, but come on, it's some kind of HGH he was taking to recover from his injury.

• Locked thread