Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/GhouliaChilds/status/1040714636398481408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

General Dog posted:

Yeah if they'd have teamed up with the fugitive Predator and then made a gag out of constant miscommunication that could have been okay.

This was a part of the script, but it wasn’t the fugitive it was two other Predators working with the government. They wore pants and it would’ve been rad haha.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Admiral Bosch posted:

I'm definitely not gonna see this until I can see it for free, so can someone just tell me what the deal is with the ending?

A big plot point throughout is that a predator (who is killed halfway though the movie) has brought mankind something that will help them in an upcoming invasion by the predator species. They open up a coffin-shaped box containing a "predator killer" in a military facility at the end, and the audience is probably hoping it's going to be Arnold or a Terminator or a Xenomorph or something crazy like that, but it turns out to just basically be a Predator-shaped Iron Man suit, and our boring protagonist says that he'd like to wear it in the sequel.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

This was a part of the script, but it wasn’t the fugitive it was two other Predators working with the government. They wore pants and it would’ve been rad haha.

Have them exiled from the clan or whatever, they fend off the clan attacking, kill a few, and the clan elder recognizes that they got their 'honor' back.
And they turn on the humans within a second. Or one of them does, loving over the second.
Oh the possibilities.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sucks I have to wait until next week to watch this film. Predator is one of my all-time favorites series. And I liked Requiem so I'm sure I will enjoy this.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

[...] I'm sure I will enjoy this.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
The best way to tell if you'll enjoy The Predator is whether or not you intensely love The Last Boy Scout, Last Action Hero, and/or The Nice Guys. The Shane Black dialogue & sense of humor is there, however mangled it may be.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

china bot posted:

The best way to tell if you'll enjoy The Predator is whether or not you intensely love The Last Boy Scout, Last Action Hero, and/or The Nice Guys. The Shane Black dialogue & sense of humor is there, however mangled it may be.

I think The Nice Guys and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang are among the best movies of the 2000s, and I found this utterly charmless.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
To be frank, the only Shane Black movie I've seen is Last Action Hero.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
Full disclosure: I vastly prefer a disaster of a film with interesting elements (good or bad) to a well-made but predictable film, so that's why I'm so forgiving with this.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I wanted to get out of the house for a couple hours so I watched The Predator.

I don't think it is as jumbled and unintelligible as some are saying, but there's definitely a lot of abrupt and strange editing and pacing in the second half.

I didn't care for all the new lore or mythology or whatever. The idea that they are harvesting the deadliest humans for their DNA is a lot more lame to me than them just being rear end in a top hat trophy hunters.

The final fight was pretty lame, as well as the Predator Killer. And on the subject of the Predator Killer, how did they know the rogue predator wanted humanity to have it? The first thing that predator did when it showed up was kill a dude, rip his face off, and hang him from a tree.

On the subject of Bad Guy blowing his own head off: it was foreshadowed when he was looking at the dead predator and then fiddled with the shoulder canon and his subordinate said "careful with that". But when it happened it was a weird non-event. What's her name said "look out" and it went off, but nothing was attacking him, and no one reacted to it.

It was also laughably silly when tourettes gey and joke guy shot each other. And about tourettes guy, someone mentioned how his tourettes just disappears and one point. Joke guy said "it's good to have you back" when they were shooting at something, and I'm pretty sure the implication was that getting into combat again cured his tourettes.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I have no idea why there is this desperate need to deepen the Predator mythos. They’re rear end in a top hat big game hunters. That’s it. The simplicity of that motive is what helps to make the first film (and to an extent the second) so lean and efficient. Predator is arguably a film that succeeds by its barebones exposition, with information doled out fairly logically and naturally across its runtime.

If you are making a Predator movie, every minute spent not brutally killing humans, buffing skulls, or shooting heavy artillery at nature costs a quarter in the “you have hosed up your movie” jar.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

General Dog posted:

I think The Nice Guys and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang are among the best movies of the 2000s, and I found this utterly charmless.

Yeah this movie had nothing in common with Kiss Kiss or Nice Guys. I went in hoping some of the with and charm from Black's last movies would be present but there was none of that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

The Fugitive Predator was really cool. I don’t know why they had to waste him so quick. I’d love it if he just stuck around and teamed up with the Loonies. He’d fit right in too, being a bit of a jokester himself.

I can’t tell if this is untagged spoilers. :confused:

Also the novelization of this movie is out soon, I’m curious to see if it’s more coherent or includes a bunch of stuff from the cutting room floor, etc.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am sitting here, drinking Pepsi and eating Pizza in my comfy leather recliner watching the original Predator in a darkened room on my screen with my cat in the sofa to my left. It is good.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
The beginning was really bad the way it skipped around and there were abrupt cuts it was a mess and I was actually thinking about just leaving but after all the characters got on the same page I thought it was surprisingly enjoyable for a long time until getting near the end where it became complete poo poo. The worst thing was that they made up the stupidest reason why the Predators were there then kept making more poo poo up and making it worse and when you think it can't get stupider they tack on that extended ending with the Iron-Pred suit.

I actually liked the loonies except Nebraska who seemed a bit too capable and smug. Munn was not that bad and I like her but her character is a scientist they made her too capable and she just rushes into danger like its NBD and it is apparently because no matter what she does the Predators never seem to give a poo poo so she keeps getting to take shots at them while they ignore her presence. When Jake Busey is like "Don't let it get away!" and she's like "Yeah I got this" even though she just witnessed it murder a whole room full of people including armed soldiers. Hooooow the fuuuuck?

The Predator was cool the way he was much more aware of humans than previous Predators. He had human DNA so I think they could have run with that a bit more if he had teamed up with the loonies it would have severely elevated the film. The other Predator was pretty lame. They said he was enhanced but he was just huge as gently caress and had backwards legs. Like, there's smaller and bigger humans there are probably smaller and bigger predators so the idea of a fuckass huge predator doesn't seem like a big deal. He could make an exoskeleton but that could have been cybernetics or nanomachines, son. Just say he's a loving rear end in a top hat pred-cop roided out on brain juice which was basically what he was anyways, not some type of super evolved predator and that would be fine. The other predator would be the pred-equivalent of a protesting millennial college student stealing military secrets from the bad-pred government and hey that would have been a better loving plot then what they actually did.

TheMopeSquad fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 16, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have not seen the new Predator.

But one thing I can say about the older generation of movies, even if they were action or B movies, is they spent time establishing characters, atmosphere, premise a hell of a lot better than a lot of movies now days. Nowdays it feels like they're half assed for big budget or action productions and rushed. Even Michael Bay movies, the shots, the pacing, the story/plot/establishing premise. The structure is a bit poor, imo and things don't breathe.

In this case the original Predator spends almost 45 minutes before any sort of interaction is met with the Predator and our characters. The first 45 minutes are spent establishing characters, setting, intrigue, building an aura of dread, and when all is in place then the rest is execution as poo poo hits the fan very quick and keeps up there. It's a simple throughline, motivations, characters, macguffin, etc. and its efficiently told and presented.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tumble posted:

Yeah this movie had nothing in common with Kiss Kiss or Nice Guys. I went in hoping some of the with and charm from Black's last movies would be present but there was none of that.

Did I see a different movie from you? the arguments over naming the predator, the hotel room scene with Munn passed out on the bed, "eat my pussy", the group talk with Mackenna's wife, everything with the kid, Sterling K Brown's whole character etc etc it all felt pretty Shane black to me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Fart City posted:

I have no idea why there is this desperate need to deepen the Predator mythos. They’re rear end in a top hat big game hunters. That’s it. The simplicity of that motive is what helps to make the first film (and to an extent the second) so lean and efficient. Predator is arguably a film that succeeds by its barebones exposition, with information doled out fairly logically and naturally across its runtime.

If you are making a Predator movie, every minute spent not brutally killing humans, buffing skulls, or shooting heavy artillery at nature costs a quarter in the “you have hosed up your movie” jar.

to be honest, i think it's just that the Predator is kind of a really, really weird concept and in some ways doesn't really make sense

like, they're alien trophy hunters that come to earth to hunt super badass humans. okay, fair enough, that would make sense... if they were in any way remotely weaker than the humans. instead, they're built like loving Kevin Nash and have basically Iron Man suits with shoulder cannons that can splatter people into gibs, a whole array of gadgets and gizmos to gently caress people up with, and if somehow a human does get the drop on them they can loving nuke themselves.

what the gently caress kind of "honorable hunt" is that? :psyduck:

like, the kinds of people who write Predator sequels are going to be the kinds of people who overthink it enough to have this question, and once you have this question, "try to make sense of what the hell their deal is" is kind of a natural direction to go

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they’re not honorable. can’t be more of a sore loser than setting off the nuke.

humans hunt animals weaker than us all the time. or in the case they aren’t we’re armed to the teeth with no danger.

but i think the idea is its one predator taking out entire armed squads. that’s the thrill id wager.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 16, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

to be honest, i think it's just that the Predator is kind of a really, really weird concept and in some ways doesn't really make sense

like, they're alien trophy hunters that come to earth to hunt super badass humans. okay, fair enough, that would make sense... if they were in any way remotely weaker than the humans. instead, they're built like loving Kevin Nash and have basically Iron Man suits with shoulder cannons that can splatter people into gibs, a whole array of gadgets and gizmos to gently caress people up with, and if somehow a human does get the drop on them they can loving nuke themselves.

what the gently caress kind of "honorable hunt" is that? :psyduck:

like, the kinds of people who write Predator sequels are going to be the kinds of people who overthink it enough to have this question, and once you have this question, "try to make sense of what the hell their deal is" is kind of a natural direction to go

Every single animal is inferior to humans because we're making them go extinct and they can't compete against our technology. Most hunters sit in high up locations or in camo gear with laser sight rifles, calls, supplies, etc. to kill a loving deer or duck. The only time "honor" may have been involved is when Nash Predator goes mano a mano against Arnie to give it a chance and for the challenge. But both times Arnie and Danny come out on top. Give a man a knife and tell him to go fight a bear or Gorilla will 95% of the time it will lead to a dead man unless he or she gets clever, lucky, etc.

EDIT: I support the notion they're rear end in a top hat space game hunters and leave it at that with no clear motive or intent to keep mystery as to why they make the choices to help or not. I also support if it went into things where they're like humans and some are rich fucks with tech and some are legit, etc. if they're going goofy with it.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 16, 2018

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
This was the best Syfy original movie I've ever seen in a theater.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

they’re not honorable. can’t be more of a sore loser than setting off the nuke.

humans hunt animals weaker than us all the time. or in the case they aren’t we’re armed to the teeth with no danger.

but i think the idea is its one predator taking out entire armed squads. that’s the thrill id wager.

Something important to keep in mind is that the notion of Predators being a race of honorable hunters stems from Predator 2 and the tons of comics that have been published over the years. Because yes, the original Predator was not an honorable guy by any metric.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

It's actually funny, we see one of these aliens doing it's hunt and hear that it's happened in the past. And then we come to the conclusion that every one of them is a trophy hunter and their entire society is based on hunting.

The hunters could be a small subset of weirdos that the rest of their species think are jerks.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also, the costuming was better in the original Predator. His animation, the performance, the way mandibles moved, were colored, his skin was sweaty/slimy, all of it was better.

EDIT: And the end when Predator blurts out "What the hell are you!" to Arnie and the countdown amps up and he stats laughing is so ominous and dreadful because you have an idea but holy poo poo get the gently caress out. Like is this for real?

Edit: OH poo poo! Predator 2 is on!

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 16, 2018

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kramjacks posted:

It's actually funny, we see one of these aliens doing it's hunt and hear that it's happened in the past. And then we come to the conclusion that every one of them is a trophy hunter and their entire society is based on hunting.

The hunters could be a small subset of weirdos that the rest of their species think are jerks.

When the original AVP comics were published here in Mexico, the editorial responsible added little snippets of info between chapters written by their people. I never knew where they got their info but in the stuff about the Predator they claimed the Predator Race was one of the most advanced in the universe, where violence was unheard of. But since the society was one built over centuries of civil war, they still craved for the times where combat was the only way to survive, so they had created a group of government-sponsored hunters to let loose all over the universe as a way to give a release to those urges for violence.

I always thought that was a neat take on the concept.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kramjacks posted:

Even in the comics and stuff, Predators aren't homogeneous and they do different poo poo, have disagreements, have different "rules" or equipment, etc. Like even the group of Predators from the end of 'Predator 2' plays up the idea that they're all individuals; they all look different, have different armor (or no armor at all), different masks, even totally different skin patterns.

It's a really refreshing change of pace from the Star Wars/Star Trek trope that every member of a given species acts and thinks the same.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

I can’t tell if this is untagged spoilers. :confused:

Also the novelization of this movie is out soon, I’m curious to see if it’s more coherent or includes a bunch of stuff from the cutting room floor, etc.

No more than the poster. You won’t even know what the joke thing is until you see it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Here's a couple images. I dunno, the original Predator looks a heck of a lot better. I'd suggest the first pic is set up to put him in the right lighting and environment but it has more of an impact than the other two and the Predators below look quite glossy and "clean" or smooth. Something about the others doesn't look as iconic.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 16, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I liked it when that guy yelled "Get to the choppas!".

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

quote:

the arguments over naming the predator, the hotel room scene with Munn passed out on the bed, "eat my pussy", the group talk with Mackenna's wife, everything with the kid, Sterling K Brown's whole character etc etc it all felt pretty Shane black to me

:yossame:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gatts posted:

Here's a couple images. I dunno, the original Predator looks a heck of a lot better. I'd suggest the first pic is set up to put him in the right lighting and environment but it has more of an impact than the other two and the Predators below look quite glossy and "clean" or smooth. Something about the others doesn't look as iconic.

Dunno man, the classic Pred in the last pic looks as good as the original in my opinion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the original looks the best and poo poo like super predators is so dumb.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Uruk hai predators mouth thing looks goofy as hell.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Groovelord Neato posted:

the original looks the best and poo poo like super predators is so dumb.

And it's a well they've revisited twice now.

You know what Dracula was missing? A scene where he encounters a thirteen foot tall Moon Dracula who powerbombs Regular Dracula into a pit of Draculabradors.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Also I have to think the Predator in 2 is a punk kid. He survives a team assault, being shotgunned by Danny, huffs oxygen or whatever, gets knocked off a ledge, then goes for the Nuke right away. Like, in theory he should have used that blade and cut off Danny's arm but instead doesn't and Danny gets the blade and prevents the nuke from going off. Then the Predator crashes into a building, cauterizes his wounds, and takes the fight back to the ship where he's either got his bros or feels safer or is trying to escape. Like without his cloak and shoulder cannon he feels like he's lost control and freaks out. Contrast this to the Predator in 1 who despite all poo poo breaking down around him confronts Arnie head on and evens the fight as much as he can.

And then on the ship none of the other Predators help him. Like "He's your problem, your lion, deal with him."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 16, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Gatts posted:

Also I have to think the Predator in 2 is a punk kid. He survives a team assault, being shotgunned by Danny, huffs oxygen or whatever, gets knocked off a ledge, then goes for the Nuke right away. Like, in theory he should have used that blade and cut off Danny's arm but instead doesn't and Danny gets the blade and prevents the nuke from going off. Then the Predator crashes into a building, cauterizes his wounds, and takes the fight back to the ship where he's either got his bros or feels safer or is trying to escape. Like without his cloak and shoulder cannon he feels like he's lost control and freaks out. Contrast this to the Predator in 1 who despite all poo poo breaking down around him confronts Arnie head on and evens the fight as much as he can.

The filmmakers from Predator2 said that the Predator was meant to be younger, more brash, and less experienced, so you pretty much hit the nail right on the head.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I love the Wolf from requiem precisely because he's a very experienced hunter that isn't loving around. He's all about getting the work done.

Scarface from Concrete Jungle is also pretty drat cool.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another thing that was probably a victim of reshoots was how Olivia Munn's character discovers that Predators won't attack you if you're unarmed and nothing ever comes of it. She even specifically calls it out at the scene in the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I love the Wolf from requiem precisely because he's a very experienced hunter that isn't loving around. He's all about getting the work done.

Scarface from Concrete Jungle is also pretty drat cool.

In terms of Predator “characters”, Scarface is probably the best developed. Despite having zero lines of dialogue, he manages to have an actual character arc and memorable relationships and interactions with the other characters.

I mean it’s not Shakespeare, but it’s enough to let a Predator carry the plot of a videogame by himself.