Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wtf that was my predator idea! Goddamnit. Minus the blood drinking. It was like The Revenant but with a Predator instead of Leo, and a crazy merc in Predator gear instead of Tom Hardy.

Although it should still be Tom Hardy.

I guess I’ll read that. But that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

Wtf that was my predator idea! Goddamnit. Minus the blood drinking. It was like The Revenant but with a Predator instead of Leo, and a crazy merc in Predator gear instead of Tom Hardy.

Although it should still be Tom Hardy.

I guess I’ll read that. But that sucks.

The videogame “Predator: Concrete Jungle” cribs very heavily from it as well, right down to “character harvests Predators to live forever”.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
At this point, I think the only good thing you could do with a Predator movie is make it a period piece, either a Western or like Crusaders in Mexico or something like that.

The more they try to explain Predator lore, the more they demystify the character and make it lame/goofy.
Doing the Aliens thing of having multiple Predators doesn't work, because it just makes each one seem weak and underpowered (which is what happened with Predators). If they tried to do a modern version in some current day warzone, at best it would be a carbon copy of the original Predator minus the iconic Arnie performance.

Doing a period piece where the characters are truly totally under-equipped is the only interesting way to go that could stand on its own.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

I am still stuck on the autism element. Why is it there? What did it accomplish? Also, Jacob Tremblay jist seemed to stop being autistic at a certain point.

Since autism is the next stage of evolution apparently, was it telling us that the big predator was autistic too?

OK

1) autism is a super power (which is dumb on an actually offensive level but where to start with this movie and what's dumb about it)

2) the next evolution in the greatest killing machine in the galaxy is autism

It's just a constantly dumb Shane Black movie, which is disappointing coming off of The Nice Guys. Its aromatic dumb flavor is enhanced by how obviously it was torn apart in the Hollywooding process--obvious shadow rewrites, obvious reshoots, obvious missing scenes. The tone of the movie changes constantly, and several characters just disappear.

I could do with a movie that was 90m of the tone the movie hit when the kid uses the predator mask for Halloween. This movie actually made me shake my head at how bravely dumb it is. The... best?... part is that it's not clear where this ranks in quality for the predator movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

bullet3 posted:

The more they try to explain Predator lore, the more they demystify the character and make it lame/goofy.

Predators introduced that they try to improve themselves. Before that they just had new weapons every movie. I guess AVP showed that they do rites of passage as well and Predator 2 showed them hunting in groups. So they have been slowing just adding more.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Admiral Bosch posted:

If you want something new, give the Predator a different objective. I don't know what that might be but :shrug:
A massive and bizarre series of mininuke attacks - not self-destructs - targeting strategic weapons and specific industries turns out to be the work of predator conservationists trying to maintain a long-term sustainable population of fighty humans.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Despite the many flaws I was entertained.

If the big predator had actually taken the autistic kid as a trophy for genetic hijinks the sequels would have been amazing in a whole new way: Autistic predator savants getting in all kinds of awkward situations. Not sure who'd watch it but still. (I would).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is it odd when the computer translated the name of the gift the predator brought is the "Predator Killer"? So they call themselves predators or did they name it after the human's name for the predators?

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Seen it yesterday and it's easily my third favorite Predator movie - behind 1&2 and AVP don't count

My 'favorite' moment, aside from "Autism: Evolution" and "Of course an unconscious woman is safe with a couple of soldiers was the scene where The Doctor Lady sees a fancy spear and loses her poo poo over the marvelous alien tech

The moments I DID like: The Great Predator Jailbreak and the elevator operator being a massive dork

Fish Noise posted:

A massive and bizarre series of mininuke attacks - not self-destructs - targeting strategic weapons and specific industries turns out to be the work of predator conservationists trying to maintain a long-term sustainable population of fighty humans.

That'd be hilarious

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well, the Predator opened behind Predators

https://deadline.com/2018/09/the-predator-white-boy-rick-a-simple-favor-olivia-munn-box-office-1202464594/

:(

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the government hired an 11-year-old to work on a top secret alien project. he’s just working a 9-to-5! that’s wild!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

bullet3 posted:

Crusaders in Mexico

what

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

this really sucked but had me laughing almost the entire time in a good, lighthearted way. so many plot holes with no regard for plugging them up whatsoever.

I kinda love how much this movie doesn't give a poo poo, and I don't really hold the franchise in high enough regard to care. aren't they all poo poo movies?

at least it was better than Jurassic world, ready player one, and the Meg. all poo poo movies that weren't even kind of enjoyable by how bad they were

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

“aren’t they all poo poo movies?” how have you not seen predator?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They are all good except for this one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

“aren’t they all poo poo movies?” how have you not seen predator?

Even calling ‘Predator 2’ a poo poo movie makes me angry, Predator 2 is legit great. It’s loving bonkers at times but in all the best ways, it’s basically Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon fights a Predator in the crime-riddled “future” of 1997. The Predator has a bunch of new toys and fucks up a ton of people with them, it’s got a bunch of quotable one-liners, Alan Silvestri’s soundtrack is on-point, it’s got Gary Busey AND Bill Paxton chewing scenery, and the ending has one of the best Easter eggs in movie history.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predator 2 is my favorite, and I don’t feel guilty about sayin that poo poo!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

They are all good except for this one.

threw up in my mouth a little.

predator 2 is good though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You liked this one? That’s cool because there’s a lot to like, but I just felt like it got kinda bad when the predadogs showed up. And never recovered.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

no i meant the avp movies are terrible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh, I don’t count those as Predator movies or Alien movies.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

AvP:R is good fun if you like trashy cinema. The pregnancy ward scene is just amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate that movie and I want to murder it. I can't enjoy it because it just does lovely things to the Aliens. And all the effects are really cheap and terrible. ADI does good work normally, but all that was rough.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

On the upside you can barely tell because of how loving dark the dvd transfer is.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
They really should have let the kid get harvested then the next movie could be about super-predators with aspergers.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I enjoyed Requiem more than Covenant.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It's kind of impressive how hard Requiem whiffed on the design of the Predalien, when the entire movie was supposed to be a practical effects showcase. It's really uninspired, and the rubbery dreadlocks just look really goofy.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Fart City posted:

It's kind of impressive how hard Requiem whiffed on the design of the Predalien, when the entire movie was supposed to be a practical effects showcase. It's really uninspired, and the rubbery dreadlocks just look really goofy.

Behold! The Greatest Predalien Ever

It didn't help it never occurred to me this was a hybrid until i saw it's class name on multiplayer, just thought it was some dumb scientist elephant screaming monster.

SirDrone fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 18, 2018

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

bullet3 posted:

Doing a period piece where the characters are truly totally under-equipped is the only interesting way to go that could stand on its own.

Something set during the flashback in AvP would be cool. You could have both human and predator characters, and still have it end on a note of like, maybe the specific main human characters survive and go somewhere else but the Predators do ascend to being worshipped as gods or whatever to conduct their ritual facehugging of humans+hunting rites of passage stuff.

They could do it without explaining much either since you could have just one or two Predator "characters" and have the rest just be in ships or only ever shown as an incomprehensibly unbeatable group like the ones at the end of Predator 2 Danny Glover tries to joke with before they give him the gun.

In the AvP EU stuff IIRC by the time even Predator 1 happens humans are illegal to hunt. I forget when the cutoff is but the Predators have like a "prime directive" sort of thing where after a species achieves x/y/z thing they're sentient by Predator standards and technically can't be hunted. You could set it in a past (or future I forget) period where whatever humans did to get on the Predator equivalent of a protected species list happens. So you could have instances of humans being cunning/badass to get over on just one or two Predators, but it's enough due to how it works out the Predators leave for honor/hunting reasons or whatever.

So that way you'd have a lot of space for action and the Predators being "beaten" but the species itself is still mysterious at the end and just hint at the oft-used in the comics/novels conflict of there being berserk/illegal poacher predators that hunt humans and other ones that just want to do whatever rites of passage poo poo by the book.

The problem with demystifying the Predators is that they never go all out. So you get these sort of half-baked things where like yeah the flashback in the first AvP movie is sort of cool but doesn't really matter since it's still a story about human survivors.

But the way Hollywood works they'll never do an actual good demystification of the Predators since that would involve having a movie with only Predators in it and subtitles. Like there's nothing wrong with demystifying the monster, but if it's a straight up humanoid monster like the Predator where the point of it is holy poo poo everything about this thing and its gear are loving awesome you got to make it an actual character character or there's no point.

And even that, of course, would be kind of lame in the long run for the monster as far as the movies go, but after having Predators and The Predator in a row? They may as well go all out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the predalien is such a dumb concept.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Groovelord Neato posted:

the predalien is such a dumb concept.

In an earlier draft of the script for AvS, there was going to be a sex scene between the main Predator and Sanaa Lathan's character and the ending was going to be her discovering that she's pregnant with a human/Predator hybrid, but there was a lot of pushback against this so the Predalien was the compromise.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

In an earlier draft of the script for AvS, there was going to be a sex scene between the main Predator and Sanaa Lathan's character and the ending was going to be her discovering that she's pregnant with a human/Predator hybrid, but there was a lot of pushback against this so the Predalien was the compromise.
I was just about to say, after seeing Matt still hoping for female Predators, that if the series needs a different direction or a Predator needs a different objective, there's always the Captain Kirk route.

Neo Rasa posted:

having a movie with only Predators in it and subtitles.
I now want to see this, but with a dubbed option.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Presumably predator was set in a Vietnamy jungle for a reason, both inside and outside the movie. So any update/remake on that as others have said should be set in iraq or syria (russians vrs isis vrs predators!). I'm sure theres some easy to gently caress up societal commentary to be had there.

Alternatively a scandi-noir inspired predator movie with a slower, more detective/horror feel. Theres already countless movies/tv shows to go off there, just stick a predator in it. Bonus points if its a prehistoric predator thats been frozen for however long and man's foolish drilling etc awakens him... and there are consequences.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Writer: You know, like in The Terminator? But with a Predator instead of Michael Biehn.
Studio exec: ... :frogout:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I’m kind of surprised that we haven’t gotten a Predator movie set during the Aliens era, with the Predator going up against Colonial Marines. Like not even have a xenomorph show up, just do that.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly I think as far as AvP stuff is concerned it's been in the culture long enough and demystified to such a degree that I think the only next step to really take is the stuff they did in the AvP comics where Weyland-Yutani had progressed to harvesting the Xeno and all of the weird affects that would have on society, like the Xeno cult or the Xeno musician or whatever else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Writer: You know, like in The Terminator? But with a Predator instead of Michael Biehn.
Studio exec: ... :frogout:

In absolute fairness. it's not true, it's bullshit! (i.e. I made that up.) :shrug:

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
First walkout I've done in a long while.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Fart City posted:

I’m kind of surprised that we haven’t gotten a Predator movie set during the Aliens era, with the Predator going up against Colonial Marines. Like not even have a xenomorph show up, just do that.

I think we got that in one of the video games. I want to say it was on Atari Jaguar.

So nobody loving played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the PC game that came out in the late 90's, early 2000's was pretty popular and was AvP in the Aliens universe. AvP2 came out a few years later and I believe it was even bigger than that.

WS for some reason wanted to do a prequel thing with Weyland and did that. Maybe it was cheaper I dunno.