Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Gotta admit is frustrating how both Predators and The Predator focused on adding more stuff to the Predator lore because they wanted to leave their mark I guess? Instead of just giving the Preds new gimmicks or tricks.

What if a predator could pop open an entire 6 pack all at once with his hands and pincers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It gets boring to do the same thing 3 times in a row. The James Cameron style "make the same movie but swap the settings and themes around and add a new underarching theme" works for a second movie, but it's silly to do it after that unless it's a return to form.

The F&F franchise, of all things, kind of does the best with this (although the second one was the worst one because it was just a bad retread).

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The next Predator should be about an Elon Musk billionaire who springs a trap on a Predator and captures it, and then releases it into the Alaskan wilderness in the dead of winter, stripped of its gear, for a bunch of other rich people to hunt for sport.

What I’m saying is that Predator 5 should be Surviving The Game 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That would work. Anything that makes the Predator the main character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

xenomorph is right on. the ufo at the beginning is the one flaw in the film. it's much more interesting if you're "discovering" there's an alien with the boys. it's like how the director's cut of aliens is weaker because it shows hadely's hope before the infestation.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Something felt off about the movement in AvP 2010. Like scale was off or something, but it just wasn't a fun experience. The Predator's finishing moves were cool the first few times, but like the slow-mo in the Batman games, got pretty old pretty fast.

they made it for consoles so the movement is achingly slow.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 20, 2018

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's like how the director's cut of aliens is weaker because it shows hadely's hope before the infestation.
Gonna disagree there. Like okay yeah you’re “discovering” the colony alongside the Marines, but the movie is called ‘Aliens’ and it’s a sequel to the movie ‘Alien’, which featured a hostile space monster. If the presence of crazy space monsters at the colony comes as a surprise, then I’m not sure what to say. :shrug:

Although it would have been a hilarious twist if the Marines had gotten to the colony, learned that it was a downed transmitter and a blown fusebox and had fixed everything in 20 minutes, just in time for the colonists to throw a big feast for the Marines where great joy and camaraderie is felt by all. The Marines board the Sulaco, their bellies full and their spirits lifted, and return to Earth content in the knowledge that they’ve selflessly helped a downtrodden colony prosper among the stars. Roll credits.

I think the colony footage is effective because you know something awful is going to happen to the colonists, and seeing them nonchalantly going about their lives is a really great contrast to when the Marines show up and everyone is just... gone, and the place is trashed. No blood, no bodies, just.... gone.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Darko posted:

It gets boring to do the same thing 3 times in a row. The James Cameron style "make the same movie but swap the settings and themes around and add a new underarching theme" works for a second movie, but it's silly to do it after that unless it's a return to form.

The F&F franchise, of all things, kind of does the best with this (although the second one was the worst one because it was just a bad retread).

I don't know, I'd watch Predator vs Miami Vice.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

xenomorph is right on. the ufo at the beginning is the one flaw in the film. it's much more interesting if you're "discovering" there's an alien with the boys. it's like how the director's cut of aliens is weaker because it shows hadely's hope before the infestation.

Well, yeah, but also the title of that movie is "Alien".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

Gonna disagree there. Like okay yeah you’re “discovering” the colony alongside the Marines, but the movie is called ‘Aliens’ and it’s a sequel to the movie ‘Alien’, which featured a hostile space monster. If the presence of crazy space monsters at the colony comes as a surprise, then I’m not sure what to say. :shrug:

i don’t mean in a literal sense. it is that you’re taking the journey along with them. and you don’t know what the colony was like before it went to poo poo - just like the marines. there’s a lot more tension the way it’s done in th theatrical cut. it’s the same logic for cutting the ufo out the beginning of predator. plus the Hadley’s hope stuff fucks with the pacing something fierce.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I think the Hadley's Hope opening does undercut some of the tension of what the Marines are walking into, but I also find it to be a supremely interesting sequence because James Cameron is so notoriously guarded about his creative process, and the Weyland-Yutani walk-and-talk is structured and dialogued nearly identically to the Miles Dyson walk-and-talk Cyberdyne scene that he would shoot years later in Terminator 2. It's basically him working out a scene on film that he later slipped into his back pocket when it didn't make the theatrical cut. If nothing else, from a craft standpoint it's worth watching as a rare glimpse behind the curtain.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Generally the turret scene is also a tension-less waste of run time that makes the aliens seem less intelligent than they are otherwise depicted, as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don’t mean in a literal sense. it is that you’re taking the journey along with them. and you don’t know what the colony was like before it went to poo poo - just like the marines. there’s a lot more tension the way it’s done in th theatrical cut. it’s the same logic for cutting the ufo out the beginning of predator. plus the Hadley’s hope stuff fucks with the pacing something fierce.
Going into Predator blind, if you cut out the UFO, you have no idea what Arnold's team is up against until it starts picking them off one by one. If you leave the UFO in, you know it's a space alien before they do.

Going into 'Aliens' blind, if you cut the colony stuff, you still know something bad happened at the colony and that Aliens were involved before the Marines do because of the title of the movie and the fact that it's a sequel.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Generally the turret scene is also a tension-less waste of run time that makes the aliens seem less intelligent than they are otherwise depicted, as well.
The turret sequence gets a pass with me on the Rule of Cool, and it's a really effective scene for conveying tension and implied action and danger without actually showing anything.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
A Predator rampage around the Chicago area turns out to be a Cleaner team pursuing a Doctor Predator, but the real villains are another Doctor and a one-armed ex-Cleaner who want to deploy Upgrade technology that the first Doctor opposed.

The Fugitive but with Predators, basically.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This movie was loving ludicrous. Like I got out of seeing it an hour ago and I'm still remembering things that made no goddamn sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RedSnapper posted:

The worst thing about the AVP movies is that they didn't outright copy the scenario from the 1992 (?) comic.

Instead of dipping into any of the stuff that was developed in the comic series it feels more like Predators and The Predator adapted the lovely old action figures.

"It's like the original Predator but bigger and more bad rear end!"

Both movies also had the "new Super Predator!!!!" clowning on an 'original version' Predator just like Jurassic Park 3 had the Spinosaurus beat the poo poo out of a Tyrannosaur in order to establish its bonafides for the audience. It really feels like the studio was worried that the original design wouldn't be interesting to audiences any more so they needed to redesign it and make it bigger and scarier and bulletproof.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Fart City posted:

The next Predator should be about an Elon Musk billionaire who springs a trap on a Predator and captures it, and then releases it into the Alaskan wilderness in the dead of winter, stripped of its gear, for a bunch of other rich people to hunt for sport.

Ha, that might actually be a good watch. Too bad they already used/killed Busey.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Instead of dipping into any of the stuff that was developed in the comic series it feels more like Predators and The Predator adapted the lovely old action figures.

Both movies also had the "new Super Predator!!!!" clowning on an 'original version' Predator just like Jurassic Park 3 had the Spinosaurus beat the poo poo out of a Tyrannosaur in order to establish its bonafides for the audience. It really feels like the studio was worried that the original design wouldn't be interesting to audiences any more so they needed to redesign it and make it bigger and scarier and bulletproof.

That isn't a terrible idea by itself, the reimagined action figures of those old 90's toys have been very well received by fans so, with the proper execution I think they could properly work in a film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If they make another Predator movie it should be titled The Next Predator.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neo Rasa posted:

If they make another Predator movie it should be titled The Next Predator.

PR3DAT0R: neXtreme

The predator is on the internet in the 90s.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fart City posted:

You have no idea how much I want this.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Okay, I must have missed something. What was the deal with the marble he took from the predator? He swallowed it, shat it out, gave it to his kid, and it got dropped in the jungle. Then I don't remember ever seeing it again. I feel like I must have missed something.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
That's the predator stealth cloaking marble.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Oh. Huh. I thought it was the gauntlet that did that. But yeah, now that you mention it Olivia Munn used it at the end without the gauntlet. Guess I just didn't catch that. Thanks.

Edit:. Wait, the dude used it to sneak up on Sterling Brown in the ship as well. Starting to think I might not have been paying very close attention to this movie.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 22, 2018

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It just occurred to me that we captured the Predator, drugged him locked him up threw a shitload of soldiers at him which he subsequently killed yet apparently he was here to HELP us the entire time? No one ever thought to like, talk and work together? Literally the first thing he does after he crash lands is kill a guy violently then string him up by his feet yet again, he's here to help us. Maybe that means something nicer in Predaculture and we've been taking it the wrong way for the past twenty years.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

TheMopeSquad posted:

It just occurred to me that we captured the Predator, drugged him locked him up threw a shitload of soldiers at him which he subsequently killed yet apparently he was here to HELP us the entire time? No one ever thought to like, talk and work together? Literally the first thing he does after he crash lands is kill a guy violently then string him up by his feet yet again, he's here to help us. Maybe that means something nicer in Predaculture and we've been taking it the wrong way for the past twenty years.

Nothing about the "rogue Predator coming to help humanity" plot makes any sense. Like I keep trying to understand how any of it was supposed to fit together and I can't.

Predators are going to take over the earth because of global warming? But some predators want to help us, so their plan is to give us... a single suit of Predator armor??? What????

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I assumed The Predator attacked the soldiers because they were brandishing weapons, and the lab men because they had imprisoned him, thus endangering The Predator's beloved humans

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I want a subtitled cut of this that is just the Predator yelling PLEASE STOP I AM TRYING TO LOVE YOU while he's erasing faces in the lab.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My take: the Rogue Predator was basically trying to overcome the language barrier by force. "If you try to fight me, you're gonna die, so just drop your god drat gun already and work with me."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't want to fight you, I want to fight global warming!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would be willing to watch a movie of a Predator going around killing enemies of preventing Climate Change by walking up to them and going "Do you support Climate Change?" *zap* kind of like in Terminator 1 when the T800 goes "Are you Sarah Connor?" "...yes?" ...*murder*...

But the movies do point out that the Predators come when it is exceptionally hot during season.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Of course! This movie was really the origin story of how Mckenna became Captain Planet.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just got back from the movies, I actually liked the movie.

Is pure schlock, of course. Pretty much a B-film with a high budget but I think it does work, inferior to the original and Predator 2 but I'd put it above Predators and AvP and slightly behind of Requiem. The main characters don't get much in the way of characterization but the little they get works to get invested in them and allows them to carry the film.

That said, the effects take a dip on the final third and the idea of Predators modifying themselves with the DNA of their prey is monumentally stupid and hopefully, if another film gets made it will be either ignored or retconned.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gatts posted:

kind of like in Terminator 1 when the T800 goes "Are you Sarah Connor?" "...yes?" ...*murder*...

Hang on you got a good point there, how did the first terminator actually know it was killing Sarah Conner?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, did you just call the old Kenner figures “lovely”? “lovely”?

The old Predator toys are completely badass and I will not have you speaking poorly of them. :catstare:
Just look at the picture you posted, one of them glows in the loving dark. Who gives a poo poo if that “doesn’t make sense” for a stealthy, invisible hunter, glowing in the dark is loving awesome. And he shoots spears!
And the other one? He’s got a human skull on a staff, that’s rad as gently caress.

I think what I’m getting at is

Don’t talk to us or our sons ever again. :colbert:

TheMopeSquad posted:

I’m with you on this one, I think a better (and more entertaining) use of the Fugitive would have been having him deal with all hostile humans nonlethally. Like, make him brutal and efficient so the humans know he could wreck their poo poo at a moment’s notice, and that he’s showing serious restraint by disabling humans without killing them.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
A Veteran Predator of the Upgrade war descends upon the Game Preserve Planet to find a hunting buddy who was lost and left behind after they escaped capture during the war.
The Deer Hunter but Predators.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So this is a shoe-in for worst movie of the year, right? What is its competition?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sodomy Hussein posted:

So this is a shoe-in for worst movie of the year, right? What is its competition?

Mary Poppins from the look of its trailer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xenomrph posted:

Don’t talk to us or our sons ever again. :colbert:

Ha haaaa, awesome. I knew you'd have them. :haw:

Edit: I had no idea someone issued 'premium' versions of the old Kenner designs

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I honestly didn't remember the alien UFO intro to Predator until this thread. Either that or I skipped it somehow on my first viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and The Spy Who Dumped Me are way worse (obscure answer: Clara's Ghost)

The Predator is absolutely the worst edited film of the year, though

china bot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 22, 2018