Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CRAYON posted:

9. Destroy All Monsters (1968)

There were a lot of things about this film that I really enjoyed, but overall I came away kind of disappointed. I thought that the design of the space vehicles, weapons, and bases were all really cool. Specifically, the Moonlight SY-3 was a badass spaceship. The sheer amount of monsters that you get to see is great, and I even learned about some that I had never seen before.

I believe my problems with the film stem from the expectations that it lays in the opening. It kind of lulls you into feeling like a kid a again by showing you a bunch of monsters, you can't help but think that the movie is going to be full of battles and monsters stomping through cities. While there are some parts like that, overall the movie is about a space team thwarting invading aliens.

Usually I am totally on board for the weird sci-fi shenanigans in Godzilla films but I felt like this one was weirdly paced, and tonally had no clue where it wanted to be. There were some pretty shocking scenes involving gunshots to the head and suicide that felt a little out of place. Now that I think of it the entire movie was kind of a tonal mess. The culminating battle was extremely brutal but also mixed in shots of the baby Godzilla dancing.

It's weird, as I am typing this review out all of the stuff I've described sounds like stuff I would enjoy. I definitely did not hate the film, but maybe Destroy All Monsters would benefit from a more informed rewatch in the future.

You might like knowing there's a deleted scene where Godzilla and Manda fight (I'm sure they cut it because the photography didn't work AT ALL.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZesM1kkY7A

Friends Are Evil posted:

7. Monkey Shines (1988). Directed by George Romero.
My first exposure to Romero's non-Dead, non-anthology work. It's filled with so many bizarre ideas and concepts, and while it's kind of a mess and half of the ideas don't work, I still enjoyed myself. It goes a little more body horror than I expected, with the turning monkeys into brain junkies and seeing through it's eyes bit. The pacing is rough, though giving the main character enough time to adjust to his disability was a good call and adds a lot of tension to the film. He calls the monkey a gently caress face, so it can't be all bad.

This movie is amazing if you're handicapped. It really, REALLY gets into the mind of the disabled person and their frustrations and hard to control negative emotions towards even the people they need. Also a few years back it aired on regular antenna tv here, and I was shocked by how little they censored from the love scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

Have you seen Duel? The foley for the shark's sinking remains were taken and surprisingly slightly altered from his earlier mad trucker movie. Which remains one of my favorite films despite being a very early work and made for a T.V. slot.

I have, but I never noticed that detail. Nifty!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Spatulater bro! posted:

5. Fright Night (1985, Tom Holland)

This is a movie that appeals more to my 15 year old self than my current 35 year old self, and I wish I had seen it back then because I'm positive it would have been one of my favorites. I mean it's pretty cool, it has fun effects and makeup, and good performances (except for the kid's friend - what the hell sort of acting was that?), but it's just a bit, I dunno, straight forward? There weren't any surprises. But that could very likely be due to my overexposure to these sorts of vampire stories over the past three decades (many of which are probably influenced by this). Despite not loving it I am glad to have finally seen it.

(7 Amy vampires out of 5)

I fixed this for you in post Spatular Bro

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

21-Dracula's Daughter 1936

The story for this one centers around Countess Zaleska, Dracula's vampire daughter who's wishing to free herself from vampirism and be able to live as a human. She first tries by cremating Dracula's remains and when that doesn't work, she tries psychiatry. Of course, we all know none of this will go well.

As an early example of a vampire trying to find a way to break free from vampirism, this one's pretty good. I've read that Gloria Holden thought Horror films were lowbrow and feared the typecasting Lugosi was dealing with so she was a bit snooty with taking the role. If that's the case, I think her disdain really added to her performance. While I've heard that Universal was fine with promoting the Countess' lesbianism in early advertising, I've yet to see any examples. So if anyone's got a scan or book reference, please let me know as I'm a total sucker for film history like this.

I do feel this one works as a direct sequel to Dracula.

22-Son of Dracula 1943

I have to admit I'm a bit on the fence about this one. It doesn't seem to have as solid a connection like Dracula's Daughter has to Dracula, and if anything feels more like the later 'Dracula has a cameo here for...reasons' films like the 'House of...' entries.

The story on it's own is fine, but one could easily substitute the name Alucard for Count BlahBLEHblah and it'd still work. Overall, this one felt like it was a 'we need to make sequels' entry to be on par with the other sequels they were doing with the other classic monster films. It's not so much bad but more..meh.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I'll have to search it out but the advertisements for the "lesbian" angle are not as overt as you think. Its basically stuff like "Look out she'll get your girl" and playing up that angle of it. Like it doesn't explicitly like say " Oh shes gay for gays". Also, if I am remembering correctly those advertisements were only in Europe so they're in French etc.. So I doubt that you'd be able to find them and if you do they're in French etc..

As far as the film goes its gayer than Bride of Frankenstein. Like you have her lustful looks also a cut scene made it more explicit she was drawing the woman nude. Also she's going to psychiatrist to cure her "vampirism". By "vampirism" I mean her sensational love for venus mounds.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I'll have to search it out but the advertisements for the "lesbian" angle are not as overt as you think. Its basically stuff like "Look out she'll get your girl" and playing up that angle of it. Like it doesn't explicitly like say " Oh shes gay for gays". Also, if I am remembering correctly those advertisements were only in Europe so they're in French etc.. So I doubt that you'd be able to find them and if you do they're in French etc..

As far as the film goes its gayer than Bride of Frankenstein. Like you have her lustful looks also a cut scene made it more explicit she was drawing the woman nude. Also she's going to psychiatrist to cure her "vampirism". By "vampirism" I mean her sensational love for venus mounds.

I figured they wouldn't be anything really overt, but still pretty shocking for that era.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spatulater bro! posted:

5. Fright Night (1985, Tom Holland)

This is a movie that appeals more to my 15 year old self than my current 35 year old self, and I wish I had seen it back then because I'm positive it would have been one of my favorites. I mean it's pretty cool, it has fun effects and makeup, and good performances (except for the kid's friend - what the hell sort of acting was that?), but it's just a bit, I dunno, straight forward? There weren't any surprises. But that could very likely be due to my overexposure to these sorts of vampire stories over the past three decades (many of which are probably influenced by this). Despite not loving it I am glad to have finally seen it.

(3 Amy vampires out of 5)

How do you not love Evil Ed? Or mention Roddy McDowall's loving tribute to Peter Cushing?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
9. Halloween II (2009)

I’ll get it out of the way: Rob Zombie is a polarizing filmmaker. His film The Devil’s Rejects is considered a horror classic (watch it if you haven’t) but everything else is shaky at best. I find his strengths to be visuals, atmosphere and vibe but where he really fails is dialogue and characters. For some reason he feels the need to have way too many characters being complete dicks instead of having a normal range of emotions. His run with Halloween is usually seen as mediocre at best because gone was the spooky origins of the John Carpenter original and replaced was splatty slasher stuff. I wasn’t a big fan of the 2007 Halloween for that reason because it just became another slasher film instead of something sinister that made the 1978 film work so well.

Halloween II is the sequel to that film that I remember dropped out of nowhere and nobody was too excited over. I’m watching it because it’s actually the one Rob Zombie film I have not seen and I figure I should complete his filmography.

After watching this I wonder how Rob Zombie would have done an original slasher movie in the 70s/80s style. He has clearly a unique vision (I love the general, not movie, Halloween spirit he puts into his works) and a love for brutal violence and to see it try to co-exist with Michael Myers just doesn’t work. I liked what he was going for with his Halloween stories with an examination of the killer, his beginnings and the brutality that follows. But it is really, really hobbled by being associated with Michael Myers who was always more a spectre than a big dude breaking down walls and stabbing someone as hard as they loving can.

Oh, and there is a Weird Al cameo in this movie out of nowhere.

Total: 1. The Conjuring 2 (2016), 2. Terrifier (2016), 3. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948), 4. Split (2017), 5. The First Purge (2018), 6. Trick 'R Treat (2009), 7. Wolf Creek (2005), 8. King Kong (1976), 9. Halloween II (2009)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

6- Dog Soldiers

God I love this movie. I haven't watched it in years, and it never seems to be on anywhere, but I came across my old DVD and tossed it in.

This is the movie that taught me not to literally judge things by their covers. It looks and sounds stupid, but it's really just a tremendously fun romp. The effects aren't great,but they smartly hide the wolves more often than not. It's also helped by a "way better than the material deserves" cast, and being a Neil Marshall film.

It's a basic story; a bunch of friends are in the woods, and get attacked by werewolves. Instead of helpless teens, though, the friends are a troop of hard rear end Scottish soldiers there for an exercise. It's a testosterone fueled blast and I love the whole damned thing.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
2. Murder Party

Saw this was on Netflix and I loved Green Room, so I gave it a shot. Man, Jeremy Saulnier is good. This is more of a comedy than horror until the final act, but it's really entertaining, genuinely funny, and just flies by.

5/5

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Why yes, I did spend the entire day watching Universals.

23-Son of Frankenstein 1939

This one opens up the plot angle of several Frankenstein films to follow of it being members of the family dealing with Victor/Henry's actions and the legacy of the monster. Here we have Henry's son Wolf returning to the old village to redeem his father's reputation. Naturally the villagers aren't having any of this so of course the next thing to do is reanimate the monster. We all know no good's going to come of this.

Interesting tidbit was the plan was for this film to be in Technicolor. Test footage was shot but for some reason, they ended up going black and white. Whether it was the footage didn't look good in the end or was too expensive is anyone's guess. The test footage is believed lost at this time. Also, this was Karloff's last go in the monster makeup until the 60s for an episode of Route 66. I like this one for starting to dip into the familial repercussions of Henry's actions. It's also kinda nice in that it looks like Wolf's son Peter is one of the few Frankenstein's who didn't get a burr up their rear end about the family name or the monster when they got older.

24-Ghost of Frankenstein 1942

In this one we have Wolf's brother Ludwig as the member of the family involved with dealing with his father's creation. The monster is reanimated from the previous film's demise when the villagers decide to destroy the Frankenstein castle to shake off what they feel is a curse on the village. Film does bring up some interesting angles such as the monster becoming blind due to blood incompatability issues but nothing really happens with it other than this movie.

Sadly this film marks the shift from Universal Horror being A list pictures to B list, and yeah, it shows. I'm kinda meh on this one just because to my reasoning wouldn't it be obvious to just give up on redeeming the family name in this village and just move elsewhere to start fresh?

25-Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man 1943

This one's interesting as it's not only a Frankenstein sequel but also a Wolf Man sequel. Not sure if there's been many films where they're a sequel to more than one franchise. Being a dual franchise sequel, this one's a bit janky with where it's focus flows.

Film starts off with graverobbers breaking into the Talbot family tomb to look whatever Larry was buried with. As we all know, graverobbing always bites people in the rear end. In this case it might be literal as the moonlight reanimates Larry. Of course no one believes Larry about his lycanthropy and it's on rumors heard by Maleva the Romani elder about a Dr. Frankenstein who has knowledge of strange science that the Frankenstein angle comes in.

Here we have Ludwig's daughter Elsa. She mostly seems to want to put the monster business behind her but eventually she shows the family notes where it presents the possibility of ending both Larry and the Frankenstein monster's 'curses'. Of course, this does not go well.

The actual fight between the Wolf Man and the monster's a bit of a let down considering the expectations. It comes way late and is short almost like they were nearing the end of filming and someone said 'maybe we should put the monster fight we named the movie about in the film?' With that said, I do like this one because Wolfman was one of my big faves as a kid.

Interesting tidbits on this one is it's the last Universal film where we have a member of the Frankenstein family featured as well as the last time the monster's in a major role rather than a bit player.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

7. Little Monsters (1989)

If this doesn't count as horror I will happily remove it from my watch list.
This movie freaked me out as a kid and I have refused to re-watch.

Jedit posted:

2) Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1941)
This is a massive disappointment. I like the idea of Hyde being a performance rather than costume change but holy poo poo the script must follow this and not have characters pretend they can't recognize his face.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ There are some differences to Hyde - he has thicker eyebrows and more sunken eyes - but you'd still think he was Jekyll after a night on the tiles. As the whole point of Hyde is to let Jekyll have a night on the tiles without being recognised, it doesn't work.

If you want to see Hyde-as-performance, watch the 2007 BBC series Jekyll starring James Nesbitt.

Retro Futurist posted:

6- Dog Soldiers

God I love this movie. I haven't watched it in years, and it never seems to be on anywhere, but I came across my old DVD and tossed it in.

This is the movie that taught me not to literally judge things by their covers. It looks and sounds stupid, but it's really just a tremendously fun romp. The effects aren't great,but they smartly hide the wolves more often than not. It's also helped by a "way better than the material deserves" cast, and being a Neil Marshall film.

It's a basic story; a bunch of friends are in the woods, and get attacked by werewolves. Instead of helpless teens, though, the friends are a troop of hard rear end Scottish soldiers there for an exercise. It's a testosterone fueled blast and I love the whole damned thing.

It also stars Davos Seaworth from Game of Thrones, if you ever had the urge to see him in something else.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 21, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

The story on it's own is fine, but one could easily substitute the name Alucard for Count BlahBLEHblah and it'd still work.

Don't be absurd. If they did that he'd have to be called HalbHELBhalb.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Random Stranger posted:

Don't be absurd. If they did that he'd have to be called HalbHELBhalb.

I appreciate this joke.

11. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Crossed this one off my list of shame. I've seen the original Frankenstein several times, but never seen the sequel. I loved it. They really did a wonderful job at adding to the tragedy of the concept behind The Monster. I also didn't expect it to be so...silly? Campy? The character of Minnie and the tiny Homunculi both got some serious eye-rolls for me, but the movie is overall a terrific experience. And now I understand the hermit scene in Young Frankenstein.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

12. The Mummy's Tomb (1942)

Maybe I missed something here, but this movie bored me to death. I had a lot of trouble paying any attention to it whatsoever in it's scant 61 minute running time. It doesn't help that the first 10 or so minutes is just a recap of the previous film, which I've also seen several times. I don't have much to say for this one - I just didn't care for it.

:spooky:/5

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 21, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Several Goblins posted:

I appreciate this joke.

11. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Crossed this one off my list of shame. I've seen the original Frankenstein several times, but never seen the sequel. I loved it. They really did a wonderful job at adding to the tragedy of the concept behind The Monster. I also didn't expect it to be so...silly? Campy? The character of Minnie and the tiny Homunculi both got some serious eye-rolls for me, but the movie is overall a terrific experience. And now I understand the hermit scene in Young Frankenstein.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

This might be the lowest score I've seen anyone give that film.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

26- Quatermass Xperiment 1955

I saw this as The Creeping Unknown. To be honest, I'm not sure why Quatermass didn't have bigger appeal in the States as I don't see anything that would've put off the appeal. He's a fairly brusque scientist and Donlevy does the role well. I still have a soft spot for Andrew Keir's version because Quatermass and the Pit was the first Quatermass film for me.

As much as you'd think the storyline's telegraphed from the start with the crashed space ship with it's sole survivor, we're left with knowing something's wrong with the survivor but we get to learn along with the rest exactly what's wrong. It's a nice build up to the punch. Richard Wordsworth really sells Carroon the survivor's slow deterioration.

I like this one. The monster lurking in Westminster Abby's quite a something for the day with it being an amalgam of everthing and everyone it's eaten. Part of me's curious to see what would be possible with modern effects tech, but then the rest of me's sure they'd screw it up with crappy CGI somehow.

27- The Blob 1958

What is there not to love about The Blob? Burt Bacharach during the opening credits. Vibrant De Luxe color. Classic in the know teens vs the stuffy adults storyline. God I need to see this on the big screen before I die. I already have it in my last wishes to have my Criterion copy of this movie buried with me I love this movie so drat much. Someday I'll go to Blobfest though I know with my luck I'll probably roll an ankle or break a leg doing the run from the theater.

Funny in that when I saw it as a child, it scared me shitless. You could hide behind a door from the usual monsters, the Blob could ooze right on underneath that door and get you. Equally, I also cried my eyes out when I thought the old guy's puppy got eaten.

Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie yet, stop reading and go watch this movie dammit.

28- Spacemaster X-7 1958

I've been in many an argument whether this is more of a sci-fi film or a horror film. I think it ticks off enough boxes to be horror to count, but if the consensus is it's not, I'll strike it from my count.

The core story's the standard 'sent something out into space and it brought back a thing'. An unmanned probe returns to earth with traces of alien spores. While a scientist is studying the samples at home (No good ever comes from this), he's visited by his ex, Laura. They fight, she hits him and he bleeds on the alien spores which start rapidly growing as they feed on his blood proteins. The 'blood rust' as it's named, is vulnerable to fire and the scientist's home is burned down to contain it. Of course as we all know, something's going to go wrong about the containment. In this case it's Laura as she's now contaminated by the spores and spreading them wherever she goes. Not helping either is she believes the authorities think she murdered her ex and is now on the run.

Pretty much the big flaw I see with the movie is pacing. It spends a lot of time in the search for Laura at the expense of other story elements that should've had more time to shine. In my mind's eye, I see her spreading the alien fungus like the spreading of Captain Trips early on in The Stand. Seeing people she unknowingly infected start to itch or develop rashes would've gone a long way in stressing the race to find her. We're left with questions such as what else promotes the fungi's growth since it seemed to spread fast at the scientist's house and on a train the ex was on, but slower at the hotel she changes her appearance at. While some gripe at how lackluster the blood rust looks when it's spread, considering how some real world fungi look, it's not really something to pitch a fit over. The shots of the blood rust engulfing a plane were pretty decent I felt.

Very pleasant surprise was seeing Moe of the Three Stooges as a cab driver in this one.

For as much as Hollywood loves it's remakes, this is one I see as really needing one. With some tightening of the editing and a few adjustments, there's definitely potential here.

29- Caltiki, The Immortal Monster 1959

This one's a perfect storm of where it could very easily have been a forgettable monster film among many. The premise of an archaeological expedition uncovering something it shouldn't's been done to death by this point. Monster being a blob, as this post shows, happens a ton in the 50s. Throw Mario Bava into the mix and we've got magic.

The story opens with a dig at some Mayan ruins where they find a shrine to Caltiki and while nosing around for artifacts, they awaken what the Mayans were throwing sacrifices to. Naturally after being dormant for so long, Caltiki's pretty hungry at this point so while its eating whoever's in reach, the scientists find fire will destroy it. Of course there's a surviving sample of Caltiki where they find it grows when exposed to radiation and naturally there's a comet approaching Earth emitting Caltiki growing radiation and the last time this comet was in our neck of the woods was when the Mayan Empire fell.

Yeah, we know no good's going to happen next.

The effects in the film are incredible for the era. I think if this had been shot in color, there would've been fainting in the aisles. As to Bava's participation in the film, now that's a subject for much speculation and debate.

He's listed as the cinematographer, but there's ample interviews with Riccardo Freda and Bava as to Mario having more of a directorial hand in the film. It is known that Freda felt Bava had been treated lovely in previous films and wanted him in the director's chair on his next movie. Bava's said that Caltiki was his first film. Yet others said Bava only was involved in filming the deaths and some connecting shots. I guess it's one of those we'll never know things. In the end, if you haven't seen this movie, you seriously need to.

Here's the trailer if you need convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h96G9u6g4Ps

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

M_Sinistrari posted:

29- Caltiki, The Immortal Monster 1959

I totally forgot about the challenge starting again this year - gonna have to watch this one this time. Thanks for pointing it out!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I just hit the 50's in my run through the decades so I'm definitely planning on checking out Caltiki: The Immortal Monster.

It's on Amazon Prime, just as a reminder.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Make sure you watch Quatermass and the Pit, it's even better.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 21, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I saw this as The Creeping Unknown. To be honest, I'm not sure why Quatermass didn't have bigger appeal in the States as I don't see anything that would've put off the appeal. He's a fairly brusque scientist and Donlevy does the role well. I still have a soft spot for Andrew Keir's version because Quatermass and the Pit was the first Quatermass film for me.

As much as you'd think the storyline's telegraphed from the start with the crashed space ship with it's sole survivor, we're left with knowing something's wrong with the survivor but we get to learn along with the rest exactly what's wrong. It's a nice build up to the punch. Richard Wordsworth really sells Carroon the survivor's slow deterioration.

I like this one. The monster lurking in Westminster Abby's quite a something for the day with it being an amalgam of everthing and everyone it's eaten. Part of me's curious to see what would be possible with modern effects tech, but then the rest of me's sure they'd screw it up with crappy CGI somehow.

You don't need to wonder, the BBC did a new Quatermass a few years ago.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Make sure you watch Quatermass and the Pit, it's even better.

I definitely am. Just waiting for later since I want my fiance to sit through it too as he's never sat through a Quatermass film.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I remember watching a documentary years ago that claimed Caltiki was the first real Italian Horror movie. Also, it talked about how they did some of the effects with shocking simplicity. (Wanna show the blob crawling along? Stick the gelatin on a slope, and tilt the camera to match!)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

When I saw it as a little kid my take on it was something like “The bride is barely in it and I expected her to have lightening powers. I don’t understand the little king and queen guys. 1/5 stars.”

I also didn’t like The Mummy because he wasn’t “dressed” like a mummy except at the beginning.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

I also didn’t like The Mummy because he wasn’t “dressed” like a mummy except at the beginning.

To be fair, the Hammer version is superior and part of the reason is that Lee's Mummy is more of a legit monster and he spends a lot more time doing Mummy type things.

Karloff is great as Bey but there are plenty of movies to watch if you want Karloff staring menacingly at the camera. Lee's Mummy is more unique as a movie monster. That scene where he's ripping through and kicking in the window is unlike anything you can find in other Mummy films, they typically don't have intense physicality like that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lurdiak posted:

How do you not love Evil Ed? Or mention Roddy McDowall's loving tribute to Peter Cushing?

Yeah Peter Vincent was pretty good. Definitely the best character. But that kid... I don't know. His strange performance distracted me in every scene he was in.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'd just like to point out that M_Sinistrari has watched 29 horror movies in the last 7 days. If he keeps this pace up he'll hit 194 movies by November 1. *rechecking math* poo poo yep that's right.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'd just like to point out that M_Sinistrari has watched 29 horror movies in the last 7 days. If he keeps this pace up he'll hit 194 movies by November 1. *rechecking math* poo poo yep that's right.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Lurdiak posted:

Oops! That's because it was supposed to be 4.5/5.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

You hear that M_Sinistrari? Your dedication is being challenged. Prove 'em wrong. I'm rooting for you.

e; and I apologize for saying "he". Not too many ladies in these parts. Force of habit.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 21, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah, it's killing me that she's moving this fast while I'm still waiting behind the starting line for 10 more days...

I actually love that some people are putting as much effort into this as I do, and the only person I truly aim to beat is myself

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm saving the real good stuff and more Halloween themed movies until October. For now I'm just hitting random stuff that catches my fancy. Pretty sure today will be 47 Meters Down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

Pretty sure today will be 47 Meters Down.

I'd advise against that.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm saving the real good stuff and more Halloween themed movies until October. For now I'm just hitting random stuff that catches my fancy. Pretty sure today will be 47 Meters Down.

Man I started that poo poo one night last week and did not even make it to the sharks. I was incredibly annoyed the whole time, it felt like I was watching Laguna Beach or something.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Man I started that poo poo one night last week and did not even make it to the sharks. I was incredibly annoyed the whole time, it felt like I was watching Laguna Beach or something.

If you'd made it to the end you'd be even more pissed off.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a horror movie made by a LGBQT+ director.

or

:ghost: Watch a horror movie with LGBQT+ plot or themes (directly or indirectly).

Of course, you'll need to do a write up about how the movie applies or why you chose it.

Here are some lists to help you pick a film or give you an idea of what qualifies

Brue La Bruce's Favorite Gay Horror Movies

Not Your Average Gay Film List

Horror Movies by Gay Directors

Queer Horror/Thrillers

Queer Horror

I was going to post this last night, but figured it'd be too soon. Of course several people would watch movies that qualify when I don't make the post. :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

This is a challenge? Who isn't going to watch a James Whale movie this month?

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, it's killing me that she's moving this fast while I'm still waiting behind the starting line for 10 more days...

I actually love that some people are putting as much effort into this as I do, and the only person I truly aim to beat is myself

31 Jean Rollin movies on your slate, then?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'd advise against that.

Drunkboxer posted:

Well on these notes I'll be aborting to something for the new Fran challenge. 47 Meters Down must be the turboshits.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

You hear that M_Sinistrari? Your dedication is being challenged. Prove 'em wrong. I'm rooting for you.

Choco1980 posted:

Well as seen with my broken wrist saga and the current need surgery for the two whopper kidney stones I've got, I don't do anything halfassed. LOL

As for why I'm able to tear rear end through so many films in a relatively short time is I regularly sit through a shitload of horror films. Even the times I've been near deathly sick, I blow through an easy 3-4 films a day. Only thing different with the Ironman is I'm imposing some structure with sticking by decades and writing something about them. Also helping is older films are relatively short, so blowing yesterday sitting through a ton of the Universals was easy. Still got some good sleep in and ate home cooked food. I do get the concerns about burning out on the film watching. Closest was I got a bit tired of the 40s era stuff and was jonesing for the 50s at this point. Considering the volume of stuff from the 60s and 70s I've got, it's going to be a challenge to not go wild with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

31 Jean Rollin movies on your slate, then?

Nah (but his inclusion in my slate isn't unlikely truth to tell) if you recall I'm an "ironman" october challenger, where I try to top my own record annually (presently the record sits at 78 for me). My personal scruples mean I can't start til the first and you all are dirty dirty cheaters. (joking about the last bit. Maybe.)

Hey, Fran, what about people like me who don't start til the 1st? Is there an expiration on your challenges?

• Locked thread