Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Wrap up!

Biggest Surprise: Night of the Demons 2
Biggest Disappointment: The Birds
Please Watch: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Best of Scream Stream: Dagon, but Winterbeast makes for an amazing group watch.

Managed to get up to 47 of the top 50 on They Shoot Zombies. I'll take down the last 25 of the top 100 by the end of May for sure. :toot:

1) The New York Ripper B
2) Pumpkinhead C
3) The Predator C
4) A Simple Favor B
5) Hellraiser B
6) The Wicker Man (1973) C
7) Always Shine D
8) Zombie B
9) The House With A Clock In Its Walls D
10) We Are Still Here D
11) Dawn of the Dead (1978) A
12) Screamers D
13) Rabid B
14) Hellraiser 2 B
15) King Kong B
16) The Devil Rides Out C
17) Faust B
18) Hell Fest C
19) Maniac Cop C
20) Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 A
21) The Howling C
22) Hell Comes To Frogtown B
23) Venom C
24) Venom (1981) B
25) Dagon B
26) Demonic Toys C
27) The Fly (1986) B
28) Ringu D
29) Goosebumps C
30) Poltergeist C
31) Phenomena B
32) Goosebumps 2 D
33) CreepTales W
34) Castle Freak C
35) Nightmare on Elm Street 2 B
36) Winterbeast C
37) Nightmare on Elm Street 3 B
38) Nightmare on Elm Street 4 D
39) Nightmare on Elm Street 5 C
40) Halloween (2018) B
41) The Birds D
42) Microwave Massacre B
43) Tucker & Dale vs Evil B
44) Sometimes They Come Back D
45) Night of the Demons 2 A
46) Vertigo A
47) Attack of the Killer Tomatoes B
48) Wish Upon D
49) Diabolique B
50) Se7en A
51) Minutes Past Midnight C
52) Rosemary's Baby B
53) The Love Witch C
54) Tales From The Hood A
55) Tales From The Hood 2 D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I got a question for y'all. I never really watched slasher movies before this month, but one thing I'd heard a lot is that you end up rooting for the killer instead of the disposable teens. That never happened to me. aside from the occasional designated rear end in a top hat character, I always rooted for the dumb teens. I always wanted to see the last girl kick the poo poo out of Jason. The only time I rooted for Jason was when he was fighting Freddy.

When you're watching a slasher do you root for the killer to bring on the blood and gore, or do you root for the teens to make it out alive?
Don't think I've ever rooted for the killer in an actual slasher, though something like American Psycho or Serial Mom, hell yeah go gently caress them up! That lady totally deserved it for wearing white shoes after labor day.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Well I completely failed at posting, so here's the final list of stuff I watched and super brief thoughts on everything post-Mandy, which I covered in my previous/first post:

1. Mandy (2018)

2. Queen of Earth (2015) - Mixed feelings; it had some cool ideas with the parallel presentation of events but it's one of those movies that just sort of counts on you to imagine a past in which these people were good friends. Did not make my bar for horror so not counting it.

2. Apostle (2018) - Mixed feelings again. I really enjoyed the first hour or so of our protagonist sneaking around the island and piecing together clues, and the story was pretty fun even if it felt a little too blunt about its themes on occasion, but it really could have used a little more trimming. There were at least two or three incidents of villainous expository monologue that felt really jarring, and baskethead seemed like he was only in the movie because someone liked the visual. Good, but disappointing because it should have been great.

3. A Field in England (2013) - Kind of cool just for how much atmosphere it manages to pack into a non-set and it would make a good double feature with A Dark Song, but the characters need to carry it and they all feel pretty flat.

4. Pyewacket (2017) - There's a single pretty cool shot in the middle of the movie and I could imagine the central mother-daughter relationship resonating with someone, but I am not that person. Mostly it just felt disappointingly predictable.

5. Incident in a Ghostland (2017) - Visually beautiful and competently executed, but I bounced off of it pretty hard because after the first fifteen-twenty minutes you find out you're just watching Sucker Punch, but with fewer ideas. You could maybe almost imagine it being a response about the banality of evil but then it would have needed villains who were more human and less video game-y.

6. Thoroughbreds (2017) - This was pretty fun. Solid performances and cute dialogue. The ending feels a little bit hollow, though; like someone made a beautiful and compelling argument in hopes of persuading you that the sky often looks sort of blue.

7. Fran Challenge #12: Devil Fetus (1983) - I'm a sucker for goofy Hong Kong horror so this was an easy sell. It's got most of what you'd hope for, including a pretty great wizard duel. The only thing I found disappointing is that when compared to The Boxer's Omen or The Seventh Curse the premise was on the mundane side. But that's kind of an impossible standard and the actual execution was great.

8. Fran Challenge #11: The Ghost Breakers (George Marshall, 1940) - This movie has a ton of fun ideas and mostly blends the together pretty well, but it suffers badly from dialogue that feels obligated to be clever at all times. The tedious kind of comedy first, horror and mystery distant seconds.

9. Fran Challenge #7: Wolf Guy (1975) - Incredibly disjointed and tries to cram at least three different plots into a single movie (sequentially), this was still a ton of fun. Starts as an interesting supernatural mystery and features the goofiest secret base I've ever seen.

10. Fran Challenge #5: C.H.U.D. (1984) - A classic I should have seen a long time ago. I wish I'd known less about it going in; if you ignore the opening scene the bulk of this movie would be a pretty compelling mystery. There are probably others I'm just not thinking of, but it's really striking having a monster movie where the monsters are so thoroughly backgrounded. The movie's attention and the narrative focus are all about the root cause of the situation, and the actual things eating people are a side issue at most. Will definitely need a rewatch someday.

11. Fran Challenge #3: Near Dark (1987) - Birth state rather than current residence because I didn't really want to watch Children of the Corn. I think I made the right call because this is one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen with an absolutely stellar cast and a bunch of standout scenes. It's also one of the worst vampire movies I've ever seen because the condition is so trivial to reverse that it doesn't even feel like a vampire movie by the end, but I guess they really wanted a story about hanging out with the wrong crowd and redemption. Badly betrayed by devotion to its themes, but so well executed that I love it anyway.

12. Fran Challenge #10: Summer of '84 (2018) - A story without any real surprises and the gang of friends felt sort of transparently movie-ish. Maybe just a consequence of having seen Stranger Things and It in the past year or two? Anyway, it was all so well executed that I didn't mind. The climax in particular is one of the best I've seen in ages, but they should have cut the bookending narration and final scene.

13. Fran Challenge #13 (I guess, according to that list on wikipedia? I didn't notice it in the movie at all): Poltergeist (1982) - Another classic I should have seen a long time ago, but have instead mostly seen piecemeal in its influence on other media. Plus the crawling steak scene once when I was flipping through hotel cable channels or something. I really wanted to like this more than I did, but it felt like less then the sum of its parts. Tons of good ideas are in here but the entire thing is hanging on the family, and the kids just don't really have any personality or anything much to do. Having a psychic show up to explain all the details of what was going on killed the entire middle of the movie for me. Still, a great climax and the husband/wife had good chemistry even if the kids felt vestigial.

So I at least made my personal movies-watched goal, but I think it's formally a failure since it took me until now to post all of these. Mostly this year felt like a bummer just because I wasn't able to keep up with the thread - way less free time combined with what looks like record-breaking participation and some absolutely astonishing totals from several of you. So kudos to all of you and thanks for all the write-ups, I've got at least a dozen new names I'm excited to track down and watch based on casually skimming just a small portion of the thread so far.

Irony.or.Death fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 2, 2018

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

My end wrap-up. Didn't have time to do my update last night because I was taking care of a sick little one, but here's my finale. All of these were taken care of before the challenge ended. Hope that's okay, Franchescanado.

59. The Meg (2018)

A giant shark from the depths is unleashed by a deep sea exploration crew. It's dumb, it's fun, it's worth a watch. Nothing will really dethrone Jaws for me as greatest shark film, and nothing will dethrone Deep Blue Sea for ridiculous and dumb, but The Meg is a worthwhile combination to give a look.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

60. Welcome to Willits (2016)

A pot farmer and meth magnate gets too high on his own supply and confused a group of camping teens for invading aliens. It's a horror/comedy that manages to not be very scary or funny, while generally just being a boring, dumb romp into the stoner horror genre. The alien props look pretty neat though.

:spooky:/5

61. The Nun (2018)

The newest entry in the...Insidious Cinematic Universe? The Conjuring Expanded Universe? The Annabelle Trash Fire? Normally the movies from this general franchise are fun enough to watch for me and range from pretty good to awful. This is on the latter end and I'd say it's the worst in the series so far, topping even the first Annabelle movie. It's about as scary as a wet paper bag and about half as interesting. The Nun herself is spooky looking and Taissa Farmiga is pretty awesome, but the jump scares and droning pace just don't do the movie any favors and the end result feels tiresome.

0.5/5

62. Sleepaway Camp (1983) Rewatch

This movie is one of my yearly rewatches. This year I used it to finish off the Horrorthon. Sleepaway Camp has a lot of problems, but I saw it when I was young and always remembered the characters, the ridiculous kills and the now-legendary insanity of the final scene. When I first saw it, I think the shock is what kept it in my memories. By today's standards, the film has even more problems than when it was released, but what keeps it memorable for me now is the cartoonishness of it all. Everything is cranked up to 11. And the sequels just make things even weirder and dumber. It's not the greatest horror film by any measure, but even with it's downfalls, it was a watch early enough in my life that it's stuck with me.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

I did it! :toot:

I really fell behind for a minute and had to marathon a few of these in just a couple of days. My final movie was last night and barely came in under the midnight mark. Congrats to everyone who took part and had fun watching a bunch of rad (and not so rad) horror movies this year. And congrats to folks like M_Sinistrari who...well holy poo poo, really went for it.

The burnout was real this year, but it was cool to finally set a new record for myself. I think next year I'll stick with a regular 31 films. And I reeeaaallly don't think I'll try to top 62. For the upcoming month I plan to marathon as much as I can from FilmStruck before it shuts down. Should be a good palate cleanser from all the horror. And I don't think I'll be cramming quite so many films in, by any means. It's been fun. Thanks again to all you folks who keep this going every year.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 2, 2018

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
This scene ;

Where Ronnie is pumping iron in the middle of an empty field for no reason and with no explanation, while Ricky tells the Mel that he’s not having a good time at summer camp and he wished there were more guys there is my favorite scene in any movie ever filmed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, one last run down.

September Tally - New (Total)
1. A Cure For Wellness (2016) / - (2). Slither (2006) / 2 (3). Castle Rock (2018) / - (4). The Forsaken (2001) / 3 (5). The Night Eats the World (2018) / 4 (6). The Girl With All The Gifts (2016) / 5 (7). The Voices (2014) / 6 (8). Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) / 7 (9). Jug Face (2013) / 8 (10). Coherence (2013) / 9 (11). A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) / - (12). Vampire in Brooklyn (1995) / 10 (13). Excision (2012) / 11 (14). Spring (2014)

October Tally - New (Total)
1. Suspiria (1977) / 2. It (2017) / 3. The Beyond (1981) / 4. Trilogy of Terror (1979) / 5. House on Haunted Hill (1959) / 6. Demons (1985) / Fran’s Challenge #1: 7. The Green Inferno (2013) / 8. Martin (1978) / 9. Malevolent (2018) / - (10). Dead and Breakfast (2004) / 10 (11). Night of the Comet (1984) / 11 (12). Jaws (1975) / 12 (13). Black Swan (2010) / Fran’s Challenge #2: 13 (14). Happy Death Day (2017) / - (15). Hell House, LLC (2015) / Fran’s Challenge #3: 14 (16). Hell House, LLC 2: The Abaddon Hotel (2018) / 15 (17). Carnival of Souls (1962) / 16 (18). The Last House on the Left (1972) / 17 (19). The Haunting of Hill House (2018) / Fran’s Challenge #4: 18 (20). My Soul To Take (2010) / Fran’s Challenge #5: 19 (21). Motel Hell (1980) / 20 (22). The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) / Fran’s Challenge #6: 21 (23). Don’t Look In The Basement (1973) / 22 (24). All Cheerleaders Die (2013) / 23 (25). Sleepaway Camp (1983) / 24 (26). The House That Dripped Blood (1971) / 25 (27). The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane (1976) / 26 (28). Friday the 13th Part III (1982) / Fran’s Challenge #7: 27 (29). November (2017) / Fran’s Challenge #8: 28 (30). Escape From Tomorrow (2013) / 29 (31). Horror of Dracula (1958) / Fran’s Challenge #9: 30 (32). The Open House (2018) / 31 (33). The Innocents (1961) / 32 (34). The Brides of Dracula (1960) / 33 (35). Resolution (2012) / Fran’s Challenge #10: 34 (36). The Endless (2018) / 35 (37). The Oblong Box (1969) / 36 (38). Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966) / 37 (39). Ex Machina (2015) / 38 (40). Night of the Creeps (1986) / 39 (41). Night of the Demon (1957) / - (42) Scream (1996) / - (43). Scream 2 (1997) / - (44). Scream 3 (2000) / Fran’s Challenge #11: 40 (45). Scream 4 (2011) / Fran’s Challenge #12: 41 (46). Possession (1981) / 42 (47). Devils of Darkness (1965) / 43 (48). I Drink Your Blood (1970) / 44 (49). The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) / 45 (50). Blood and Black Lace (1964) / 46 (51). The Astro-Zombies (1968) / 47 (52). Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) / 48 (53). Ghost Stories (2017) / 49 (54). The Birds (1963) / 50 (55). Tales from the Hood 2 (2018) / 51 (56). The Haunted World of El Superbeasto (2009) / 52 (57). The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell (2018) / 53 (58). Mr. Boogedy (1986) / 54 (59). The Houses October Built (2014) / 55 (60). The Blackcoat’s Daughter (2015) / 56 (61). Hush (2016) / 57 (62). WNUF Halloween Special (2013) / - (63). Hocus Pocus (1993) / Fran’s Challenge #13: 58 (64). Night of the Demons (1988)

That’s 58 new films, 64 total. 69 new and 78 total if you count September but I absolutely don’t. Did all 13 of Fran’s challenges and of course my own person 31 Year challenge. Here’s some general “awards”.

Top Five In No Particular Order: Demons, Jaws, Night of the Demon, The Innocents, and Hush. Gun to my head my favorite is probably Jaws. I’m actually tempted to call Jaws one of my favorite films all time, but that’s gotta be reserved for rewatches to see how it holds up. Hush was a great last few days watch but I don’t want recency to elevate it too much. The Innocents might have been the best pure horror that I definitely want to revisit after some time.

Bottom Five in No Particular Order: The Green Inferno, Hell House LLC 2, The Last House on the Left, The Astro-Zombies, and Haunted World of El Superbeasto? A couple of close ones there in Open House, Devils of Darkness, and I Drink Your Blood. But those were all last week challenge filler picks (and the movie a loved one picked at random off Netflix) so whatever. Green Inferno was probably the movie I hated the absolute most but The Last House on the Left legitimately broke me for a few days and I couldn’t get through a movie for like 4 days after that.

Biggest Disappointments: WNUF Halloween Special, Ghost Stories, Martin. Ghost Stories probably doesn’t really belong because I watched it on a whim but a friend had really built it up in my head. Martin I was really up for and just didn’t take to at all. But I saved WNUF for Halloween and I was totally disappointed by that decision. It just wasn’t for me.

Biggest Surprises: Escape From Tomorrow was a trip. I had wanted to watch that for years, always put it off and forgot about it, checked it out for a Fran Challenge, and really was pleased. Seeing the Moorhead and Benson collection of movies (Resolution, Endless, Spring) was a nice discovery of auteurs who are now super on my radar. To a lesser extent I was already a little into Mike Flanagan from movies that I enjoyed but had flaws (Oculus, Absentia, Ouija 2) but Haunting of Hill House really sold me more and Hush drove it home. I’m probably gonna finish his catalogue before next October. All Cheerleaders Die was a surprisingly fun movie that I kind of wish had gotten a sequel. Lucky McKee is a guy I hope makes more stuff. Oz Perkins is another with Blackcoat’s Daughter as I plan to check out his other film sometime.

Movies I’m Most Likely To Rewatch Next Year: While Jaws is definitely getting a rewatch that’s less of an October thing and more of a general film thing. The Innocents is an obvious one. Hush will probably get a rewatch. Night of the Demons and Demons could easily get one of those “something to watch in the background” slots. All Cheerleaders Die and Happy Death Day, maybe too. I probably definitely want to rewatch Happy Death Day and see how it sits with me on the second go.

Movies I Wish I Had Watched: For like the 3rd year in a row I held off Coraline all month and then didn’t get the time. That’s stupid. I’m gonna watch it this month. Final Girls and Phenomena both got on my radar late and were on my short lists for the last few days. Under the Skin, Shape of Water, and mother! were on my list all month but I decided they were too sketchy “horror” to waste the spot on when the time crunch came. Other notables that were on my list Oct 1st include He Never Died, Gerald’s Game, The Love Witch, Raw, Split, Veronica, Death Note. Alien Covenant too, but really I decided early I’m just gonna do a whole Alien rewatch marathon sometime. There’s probably more stuff but that’s what was obvious and at my finger tips.

General Thoughts

I got a bunch of “themes” in this month that I’m really glad about. Made my first steps into “giallo” and Italian film and I think I got one film from all the major directors of that era. Not my favorite but I’m glad I did it and there’s more films from Argento, Fulci, and Bava on my long term watchlist. I also ventured into Hammer for the first time and while again I didn’t love it I was intrigued and definitely plan to go beyond Dracula. I did a nice Scream marathon in there. Did a sort of mini marathon of Moorehead and Benson. Picked up them as new “favorites” along with Flanagan and McKee.

One of these years I'm gonna work my way through Friday the 13th.

I actually watched most of Masters of Horror S1, most of the first 3 seasons of The Strain, and the first third of The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina with the intent of getting them all on the list. Masters of Horror was at the start and I just kind of burned out on them. Then people started including them as single entries and I considered throwing them all up, but that felt cheap to me (for me) since I didn't watch them as individuals. The Strain was just something to have on in the background or when I didn't feel like fully engaging, but I stalled out on that the same place I did the first time I watched when the bad starts really outweighing the good. I tried to get Sabrina in but it took me a couple of tries to get through the first episode. I'm 4 or 5 episodes in now and really liking it but it just came too late in the month. If I had just not done those I probably could have got another dozen movies or so in at least but they really just served to break the "obligation" of watching movies when I just didn't feel like starting a new one.

I loved my “31 Years” and I think its an absolute lock that next year I’m doing 1954-1924. I don’t know if that’s going to be easier to find stuff online that is imminent domain or whatever or harder. But I don’t see how I can’t do it and “finish” this little run of hitting every year for the last 62 (64) years.

Huge thanks to Franchescanado who’s name I will one day learn to type without looking it up. Props to M_Sini and Choco for MASSIVE totals that help make my total feel less ridiculous to me. Huge shoutout to them, Fran, Basebf555, Guy Goodbody, Lurdiak, Maxwell Lord, and countless others with their great reviews, feedback, and revelations. I never should have tried to name people because there’s just too many and its a disrespect to leave so many people off. Its just a great, great field of people and fans who make this fun as hell every year and revitalized my love of horror and Halloween that had died off a little years ago due to all kinds of life stuff. I love you guys for having such varied tastes, sharing so much, and being so cool when tastes don’t all match.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 2, 2018

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

SMP posted:

This entire year I've made it a point to write reviews for everything I watch on Letterboxd, and I plan on continuing, if anyone wants to follow me. If anyone else has a Letterboxd account post it up, I like having horror-goonpinions.

https://letterboxd.com/SMP/

I tried to do the same, with mixed success.

https://letterboxd.com/smitster/

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Dr.Caligari posted:

This scene ;

Where Ronnie is pumping iron in the middle of an empty field for no reason and with no explanation, while Ricky tells the Mel that he’s not having a good time at summer camp and he wished there were more guys there is my favorite scene in any movie ever filmed.

Yeah, that's pretty amazing. I'm also a fan of when Angela gets pelted with a water balloon and Ricky shreds his vocal chords shouting at the bullying camper dudes on a rooftop. Kid sounds like a child Burgess Meredith.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You goddamn motherfucking sonsofbitches!

Also Ronnie is in a field pumping iron because he's Ronnie and he needs to stay as Ronnie as possible at all times. I loved that when they made the sequel Return to Sleepaway Camp, Ronnie was still super swole and wore the same camp outfit. And he still couldn't act for poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I...

I have no idea what to watch right now...

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
My full list is here: https://boxd.it/1ZvEe

I started at the end of August and ended last night. I only counted first time watches during the challenge period for this thread. I watched lots of really good stuff this year with Shocker, Basket Case, Phantom of the Paradise, Bride of Reanimator and the new Halloween being the standouts. The worst was obviously that stupid Paranormal activity parody, and I find I hate House of Purgatory more and more as time passes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm personally not burned out on horror so much as I am burned out on "needing" to watch a horror movie with my spare time. Usually I'm pretty impulsive with how I spend my time. Oh I guess I'll play some video game from the 80s today, then I'll watch a police procedural for 2 episodes, then I'll argue about Castlevania lore for an hour, and hey that horror film looks great, etc. But during the challenge it's almost like I have homework during my spare time, which is already greatly reduced thanks to having to organize the Scream Stream. "Ugh I guess I should watch an amazing horror film that I've heard great things about now... SIGH".

I'm relieved now that if I decide to spend an entire week watching Tetris Attack let's plays or something else inane I won't feel like I'm putting something off.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Last year I finished my challenge but never reviewed the last 6 movies or so. This year I went camping with a bunch of :filez: on my laptop that I checked before I left but then didn’t work when I got there, so I fell behind and didn’t finish. I did get to about 27 total including unreviewed and Fran challenges which I planned on doing separately.

Hopefully by this time next year I will not be a full time student on top of having a full time job and I can hit my goals.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm not so much burned-out in that I don't like watching horror outside of Halloween (and this challenge) because I like to first-watch stuff first and foremost for this challenge. Watching a title in June makes me feel like I'm crossing something out and making it more difficult to find quality stuff. But, as I say this my friends invited me today to see the 2018 Halloween tomorrow so this isn't a hard rule for me.

Alright, my final completed list. I hit my goal of 31 and made it all that way up to 44 for a personal best.

1. The Conjuring 2 (2016)
2. Terrifier (2016)
3. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
4. Split (2017)
5. The First Purge (2018)
6. Trick 'R Treat (2009)
7. Wolf Creek (2005)
8. King Kong (1976)
9. Halloween II (2009)
10. Pumpkinhead (1988)
11. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
12. House on Haunted Hill (1999)
13. What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
14. Ghostbusters (2016)
15. Bride of Chucky (1998)
16. Seed of Chucky (2004)
17. Nightbreed (1990),
18. The Axe Murders of Villisca (2016)
19. Ghosts of Mars (2001)
20. Haunters: The Art of the Scare (2017)
21 Annabelle (2014)
22. The Stuff (1985)
23. Gremlins (1984)
24. Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)
25. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
26. The Evil Dead (1981)
27. Escape from Tomorrow (2013)
28. Creepshow (1982)
29. Microwave Massacre (1983)
30. Venom (2018)
31. Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
32. Lights Out (2016)
33. The Ritual (2017)
34. Halloween (1978)
35. C.H.U.D. (1984)
36. Carnival of Souls (1962)
37. The Exorcist (1973)
38. Summer of 84 (2018)
39. Halloween: H20 (1998)
40. Saw (2004)
41. Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)
42. The Crazies (1973)
43. Masters of Horror: Homecoming (2005)
44. Ernest Scared Stupid (1991)

As I look over my list I'm already thinking of including more 30s/40s horror next year (or in May because I heard somewhere here there is one mid-year) because I see it's incredibly under-represented. Maybe find some Grindhouse stuff and if Shudder continues to expand and grow I'm sure there will be some quality stuff that catches my eye.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 2, 2018

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is a super late reply but I was busy yesterday and I wanted to respond.

re: Revenge

King Vidiot posted:

That's by design. She starts the movie completely defined by the powerful, handsome and rich man she's loving. Her "death" and rebirth turns her into a completely new person, one who sets her own rules. And she of course has to kill every one of the men who raped her, or tried to kill her, or reduced her to a sex object or just stood by and did nothing. Notice that the camera starts out by lingering on her body, because in the first part of the movie we're seeing the action from the perspective of the men. Then later it's all male nudity and her body is now covered in a thick layer of concealing blood and scars. Her killer is shown completely naked and vulnerable and the camera lingers on his naked rear end, and even though he tries to wield a phallic shotgun he's been turned into the object. He's now the victim even as he struggles to hold on to his male power.

I like the idea of this, but I'm not sure that I agree. As much as she is an object at the beginning, he mostly is too. We get a fair amount of rear end and dingus in the opening scenes. More male nudity than female. He and she both represent ideals, I think. He is the ideal sugar daddy, she is the ideal arm candy.

I don't really think the camera ever stops lingering on on her. Particularly after the tattoo/branding , but throughout we get lots of pans across her body. I think that can be seen as indicating how much she has changed, but it still felt pretty objectifying. He is naked at the end (that rear end you love is still in style!) but still pretty drat dangerous, even after losing enough blood to paint the whole house red.

quote:

Man, Revenge was so good.

In a genre I mostly despise (rape revenge movies), it is easily my favorite, and the only one I would watch again. Just so beautiful and stylish and badass.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

graventy posted:

This is a super late reply but I was busy yesterday and I wanted to respond.

re: Revenge

I like the idea of this, but I'm not sure that I agree. As much as she is an object at the beginning, he mostly is too. We get a fair amount of rear end and dingus in the opening scenes. More male nudity than female. He and she both represent ideals, I think. He is the ideal sugar daddy, she is the ideal arm candy.

I don't really think the camera ever stops lingering on on her. Particularly after the tattoo/branding , but throughout we get lots of pans across her body. I think that can be seen as indicating how much she has changed, but it still felt pretty objectifying. He is naked at the end (that rear end you love is still in style!) but still pretty drat dangerous, even after losing enough blood to paint the whole house red.

I would agree with you if the film wasn’t written and directed by a woman. I could be wrong, but I believe she’s trying to appropriate and mutate the male gaze to make a point about how predatory it is and how the camera tends to associate with it. The fact it’s shot like a Michael Bay film rules.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Scaredy Cats :siren:

Here's the list of loveable losers that failed to meet either the thread's challenge or their own goals.

Power of Pecota
chitoryu12
Hollismason
Tenzarin
Untrustable
BrendianaJones
WarEternal
fr0id
SomeJazzyRat
MacheteZombie
Mover
Windows 98
Xenomrph
TheBizzness
Egbert Souse
smilingpear
Hey Chief
Shankel Magnus
Snack Bitch
James Woods Fan
paradoxGentleman
Torgover
Timby
Vincent
Mitoboru
ReapersTouch
alansmithee
Russian Guyovitch
Lester Shy
BOOSness Hammocks

I want you all to know that Aunt Martha is very disappointed in you.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 2, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m so ashamed :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Friendship with Fran over

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hollismason does this every year. Dang it Hollis!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: I Completed The Fran Challenges and All I Got Was This Spooky T-Shirt :siren:

To everyone that completed all of the Fran Challenges this year, you get this shirt:

Winners:

Choco1980
gey muckle mowser
Basebf555
Spatulater bro!
Friends Are Evil
Almost Blue
M_Sinistrari
STAC Goat
graventy
Butch Cassidy
Justin Godscock
FancyMike
BioTech
King Vidiot
SMP
Lurdiak
LORD OF BOOTY
Drunkboxer
Dr.Caligari
Class3KillStorm
Bruteman
Guy Goodbody
Trash Boat
Wet Tie Affair
Sir Kodiak
Grizzled Patriarch
smitster
Alfred P. Pseudonym
Dr. Puppykicker
Darthemed
mobby_6kl
Adlai Stevenson*
CRAYON*
Retro Futurist*

Please DM me shirt sizes and shipping address. If you don't have DMs, then send me a private message me on Discord

Details on when things will ship will come in a later post.

If a mistake has been made, please DM me or message me on Discord, do not post it in here.

*Accidentally missed these cool peeps

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 3, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:aaaaa:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
More prizes coming soon! I am very hungry and need to get some work done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hell yes, I'm extremely glad that I watched those last few Fran Challenges, it almost didn't happen. Carnival of Souls kinda paid the price I think though because I really wasn't in the mood for it but I forced myself to watch it anyway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm not gonna rag on anyone who couldn't make it to 31. I did make it, but only extremely narrowly, and I'm probably never doing the challenge again simply because trying to watch a different horror movie every single night gets loving exhausting when you have a life otherwise.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
:stoked:

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: I Completed The Fran Challenges and All I Got Was This Spooky T-Shirt :siren:

To everyone that completed all of the Fran Challenges this year, you get this shirt:

:vince: ...was not expecting that. Thank you!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

I wasn't expecting this either. It was worth forcing myself to sit through Cabin in the Woods. Thanks Fran!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I wasn't expecting this either. It was worth forcing myself to sit through Cabin in the Woods. Thanks Fran!

I sent you another message! Please respond to it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Basebf555 posted:

Hell yes, I'm extremely glad that I watched those last few Fran Challenges

And I'm extremely glad I didn't. Though of course, Fran, the effort you put in is still deeply appreciated. Thousands wouldn't, myself included.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Franchescanado posted:

Winners:

Choco1980
gey muckle mowser
Basebf555
Spatulater bro!
Friends Are Evil
Almost Blue
M_Sinistrari
STAC Goat
graventy
Butch Cassidy
Justin Godscock
FancyMike
BioTech
King Vidiot
SMP
Lurdiak
LORD OF BOOTY
Drunkboxer
Dr.Caligari
Class3KillStorm
Bruteman
Guy Goodbody
Trash Boat
Wet Tie Affair
Sir Kodiak
Grizzled Patriarch
smitster
Alfred P. Pseudonym
Dr. Puppykicker
Darthemed
mobby_6kl
Adlai Stevenson

Please DM me shirt sizes and shipping address. If you don't have DMs, then send me a private message me on Discord

Details on when things will ship will come in a later post.

If a mistake has been made, please DM me or message me on Discord, do not post it in here.

Holy spook-a-doodles! Thanks! DM incomjng.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Looks like I got ~65 new movies this challenge, which is great! I think last year I did 45 or so, but only during October. Last year I was also pretty tired of the genre by the end, but I did better this year with pacing and variety (and, ending with two I thought I would enjoy).

Top Five (in no particular order)
Poltergeist
The Blob 1988
Night of the Demons
Night of the Demons 2
Mandy

Bottom Five
Slender Man - watch the documentary about the actual murders instead
The Ward - boring and by the numbers
Night of the Demons remake - awful
Children of the Corn - I have this entire series just waiting to be watched and it really has nowhere to go but up holy cow is the first one terrible.
Sometimes They Come Back - happy greasers can't make it less boring

Most Entertaining Watches - I won't claim that these are the best films necessarily but I enjoyed each of them with giddy excitement, either at how fun they were or how dumb they were, or how dumb fun they were.
Truth or Dare
Friend Request
Unfriended Dark Web
The Blob
Poltergeist
Slumber Party Massacre
Christmas Evil
Murder Party
Night of the Demons 2

Biggest Surprises
Pee Mak - I really didn't expect to enjoy Thai comedy, as most of it is pretty broad, from what I've seen, but this had a good mix and was fun to watch.
Night of the Demons 2 - The Evil Dead Trilogy is what got me into horror, so I really enjoy when a sequel can take a premise and just completely run with it as they did, and as this does.
Killer Klowns from Outer Space - way more entertaining than I expected it to be
Revenge - best rape revenge movie

Biggest Disappointment
Phenomena and Martin - I've seen a lot of people say a lot of good things about both of these films, but neither really clicked for me. I'll have to give them another watch at some point.

Best Sequel
Night of the Demons 2 - special mention goes to Creep 2, and Halloween 2018, but Night of the Demons 2 will probably become a yearly rewatch, and purchase. Just a lovely combination of comedy and horror.

Best Third Film
Exorcist III - I enjoyed the hell out of Poltergeist III, so it gets a mention, but Exorcist III was fantastic, some genuinely good scares and an interesting mystery.

Worst Sequel
Night of the Demons remake - I watched some terrible sequels but Jesus this was so disappointing. Adding backstory where none was needed, stealing from the original only with less style. Blech.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Over-Achiever :siren:

M_Sinistrari, since you blew everyone out of the water, you're also getting this awesome t-shirt featuring your favorite kaiju, Daimajin!

Thanks for spending every waking moment watching horror movies.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
hahahaha a spook-a-doodle shirt, amazing! message sent, thanks!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the shirt, Fran!

Also, thanks for the added 13 challenges! That threw a monkey wrench into my plans a couple of times but it also got several things I wasn't planning to watch watched, and they were fun to complete.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: Over-Achiever :siren:

M_Sinistrari, since you blew everyone out of the water, you're also getting this awesome t-shirt featuring your favorite kaiju, Daimajin!

Thanks for spending every waking moment watching horror movies.

OH MY GOD!!!!! I'm borderline speechless and giggly. Thanks so much Fran.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
This was a dope month, I should make sure to wander back to the forums next fall too

graventy posted:

Biggest Disappointment
Phenomena and Martin - I've seen a lot of people say a lot of good things about both of these films, but neither really clicked for me. I'll have to give them another watch at some point.

As someone who is a fan of both movies I don't know if you should really stress it. They're both, in my opinion, very reliant on getting you to line yourself up with their frequency as opposed to being movies that can push or seduce you into their way of thinking. Does that make sense?

Besides you said you enjoyed Killer Klowns so it's clear you have taste

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Said this in DM, but thanks for the shirts, Franchescanado! And thank you for the challenges, they were great - there's certainly no way I would've watched an Uwe Boll movie or Butterfly Effect 3 on my own. I was about to add The Witch Who Came From The Sea, but truth be told, I had been eyeing that one anyway based on the cover art. This has been a blast, and participating has been way more fun than not participating!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: Scaredy Cats :siren:

Here's the list of loveable losers that failed to meet either the thread's challenge or their own goals.

Lester Shy

Whoops, looks like I'm a dumbass and didn't realize you had to have at least 31 movies. I set my goal for 13 and watched 26, but I could have squeezed in five more. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I am so into this Halloween Santa mod.

M_Sinistrari by my calculations you watched a bit over 13 days' worth of horror movies in 6 weeks. You might be the new mayoress of Halloween Town.

• Locked thread