Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is anyone else pretty burned out on horror? I need to watch Andrei Rublev or something.

I'm a burned out on writing about them, but I couls keep watching them. If anything, only watching horror kinda normalizes it as a habit, so it feels weird when I watch anything non-horror.

I have like 10 movies left to have seen all 100 films on Slate's Top 100, so I'll be going through those these next few weeks.

Really, I'm gonna try to watch as much stuff on FilmStruck before that dies at the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shudder just gave me a free month when I tried to cancel so I'll probably work on my watchlist in there to make that worthwhile.

There's at least half a dozen films I didn't get to that I definitely, probably, sorta want to watch now.

But I'm gonna spend the rest of the week just fall TV off my DVR. Poor thing hit 100% last night.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is anyone else pretty burned out on horror? I need to watch Andrei Rublev or something.

Weirdly enough, not really. This is mainly because I spotted a few other movies that I thought I might enjoy watching.

But I've actually got some operas that I've been putting off (but not Opera) since I discovered my school gave me free access to the Met's video service starting this year so I'm probably going to be watching some performances for the next month.

Still, I expect things to just slide off with no pressure to set aside time to actually watch something just because I get so busy.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Please don’t close the thread until at least tomorrow, I know the cutoff was 1pm for reviews but I don’t get home until late.

I just wanted to post my recap and closing thoughts, Jerry Springer style

I’m oddly not tired of horror either. I have like 3 half finished movies I unwillingly either fell asleep during or had to abandon for one reason or another. There’s quite a few high priority movies I wanted to get to, but didn’t.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think I’m gonna do westerns this month. RDR2 got me in the mood.

:same:

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah I get a little burnt out, but horror is my passion in life, and I'm sure I'll be watching a few flicks this month at least. Horror is never going to leave this system, I assure you.

also :same:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty burned out but I always am by November 1st. Part of it is that I tend to do like 80% rewatches in October, so maybe that needs to change in future years.

I just grabbed the Matrix trilogy in UHD so that's gonna be my weekend, plus Netflix has a few action movies I wanna check out. Life goes on...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually did very few rewatches this October. On one side that disappoints me as there are movies I wish I had watched. But on the other hand I'm glad because I watched a ton of new films and if I really want to watch Return of the Living Dead or Blair Witch Project or whatever I'll just watch them anyway. Better that my October was spent inspiring me to watch stuff I wouldn't have otherwise, IMO.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

Re: WNUF Halloween Special

I’m not going to spoil anything, but you might skip this anyway if you haven’t seen it.

fake edit; bah, I’m going to be safe and spoiler it all

I understand the frustration, but like Lurdiak and several others, I love this movie, with its ‘flaws’ and all. Maybe it’s just the nostalgia, but I love it makes you set through the slow beginning and repetitive commercials. I suspect the film maker intended these to be a throw back to us that remember these, but I like to think it’s also a test for the younger crowd as a way to say ‘see? This is how it was. If you want the meat of the show you’re going to have to set through this’ . I guess that goes along with preparing the audience to be in the right mindset, so maybe I’m just seeing the same thing from two different views.

I think it’s also this mindset that allows me to appreciate Ghostwatch. I have no sentimental or nostalgia feelings toward the BBC, but I imagine that the slow buildup we experience in that is close to what Britain-ers set down to watch every night. WNUF just cranks everything up a notch and catches that era better, if nothing else thanks to the commercials.

I kind of find it funny when younger people, or people that weren’t in front of there TV very much find that the commercials and ‘clunkiness’ of the crew over the top. No, that’s how it was. Salesmen and even TV anchors were little more than monkeys jingling keys. And the film actually takes it easy on the repetitiveness of the commercials

I guess I understand why people don’t care for it. It is kind of a task to watch, but for those of us were at the right place at the right time, it hits something square on.The ending is weak, but I’m really not sure how you would wrap up an entry like this, so I can forgive it. It could have been worse

I’m really glad this movie exists, even if it does have diminishing returns as later generations can’t relate to it in the same way (I don’t mean to sound like a crotchety old guy, it’s just similar to how I won’t ever experience the thrill of War Of The Worlds as that demographic did)

I don’t see this movie falling out of my yearly Oct.31 playlist any time soon

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Eh, the beauty of the horror is that there's so much variety that it doesn't feel like I'm watching the same genre for a month.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
FRAN CHALLENGES

#1: Love Something You Hate: Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)
#2: Queer Horror: I've Been Watching You (2001)
#3: Hometown Horror: Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
#4: Worst of the Best / Best of the Worst: Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
#5: Birth of Horror: A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
#6: Video Nasties: The Boogey Man (1980)
#7: The World Is A Scary Place: The Rainbow Man (1949)
#8: Once In A Lifetime: The Mad (2007)
#9: Stranger Danger: Grave Encounters 2 (2012)
#10: Fear and Now: Delirium (2018)
#11: Dead & Buried: The Creeper (1948)
#12: (Self-Described) Masters of Horror: Dance of the Dead (2005)
#13: The Night We've All Been Waiting For: Halloween: Resurrection (2002)

:spooky: Rankings

Darthemed posted:

List pulled from this placeholder post. * indicates a rewatch.

10/10: None

9/10: None

8/10:
Frankenstein, a.k.a., Dr. Frankenstein (1931)
The Invisible Man, a.k.a., H.G. Wells' The Invisible Man (1933)
The Witch Returns to Life, a.k.a., The Witch (1952)
Poor Pretty Eddie, a.k.a., Heartbreak Motel, a.k.a., Redneck County, a.k.a., Massacre at Redneck County, a.k.a., Redneck County Rape, a.k.a., Black Vengeance (1975)
Halloween, a.k.a., John Carpenter's Halloween (1978) *
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) *
Predator (1987) *
Ghost (1990) *

7/10:
Dracula (1931) *
The Wolf Man (1941)
Dracula, a.k.a., Horror of Dracula (1958)
Amphibian Man (1962)
Scream Blacula Scream (1973)
The Driller Killer (1979)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
Q, a.k.a., Bird over New York, a.k.a., American Monster, a.k.a., Q: The Winged Serpent (1981)
One Dark Night, a.k.a., Entity Force, a.k.a., Mausoleum, a.k.a., Rest in Peace, a.k.a., Dark Night, a.k.a., Night of Darkness (1983)
Critters (1986)
Misery (1990)
New Nightmare, a.k.a., Wes Craven's New Nightmare, a.k.a., Freddy's New Nightmare, a.k.a., Real Nightmare (1994)
Grave Encounters (2011)
The Autopsy of Jane Doe, a.k.a., The Jane Doe Identity (2016)

6/10:
The Mummy (1932)
The Abominable Snowman, a.k.a., The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas (1957)
The Brain that Wouldn't Die, a.k.a., The Head that Wouldn't Die (1962)
Strait-Jacket (1964)
Incubus, a.k.a., Leslie Stevens' Incubus (1966)
Scream and Scream Again, a.k.a., Screamer, a.k.a., Doctor Diabolic (1970)
Theatre of Blood, a.k.a., Theater of Blood, a.k.a., Much Ado About Murder (1973)
Trilogy of Terror, a.k.a., Tales of Terror, a.k.a., Terror of the Doll (1975)
Haunts, a.k.a., The Veil (1977)
Death Ship (1980)
Halloween II, a.k.a., Boogeyman, a.k.a., Halloween II: The Nightmare Isn't Over! (1981)
Madman (1981)
Final Exam (1981)
Halloween III: Season of the Witch, a.k.a., The Last Halloween, a.k.a., Halloween 3 (1982)
Dolls, a.k.a., The Doll (1987)
Psychos in Love (1987) *
Critters 2, a.k.a., Critters 2: The Main Course (1988)
Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II, a.k.a., The Haunting of Hamilton High, a.k.a., Mary Lou (1987)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
The Brain, a.k.a., Manipulations (1988)
Phantasm II, a.k.a., Phantasm II: The Never Dead Part Two (1988)
Prom Night III: The Last Kiss (1990)
Basket Case 2 (1990)
Troll 2, a.k.a, Trolls, a.k.a., Monster Valley, a.k.a., The Return of Troll (1990) *
Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead, a.k.a., Phantasm III: The Third Power (1994)
Dog Soldiers (2002)
Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (2005)
Splice, a.k.a., Chimera (2009) *
Splinter (2009)
Grave Encounters 2 (2012)

5/10:
The Rainbow Man, a.k.a., 虹男 (1949)
The Fall of the House of Usher (1950)
It Conquered the World, a.k.a., It Conquered the Earth (1956)
House on Haunted Hill (1959) *
The Manster, a.k.a., The Split, a.k.a., Doktor Satan (1959)
Tomb of Torture (1963)
Death Laid an Egg, a.k.a., A Curious Way to Love, a.k.a., Plucked (1968)
The Boogey Man, a.k.a., The Bogey Man, a.k.a., Spectre, a.k.a., The Boogeyman (1980)
Sorority House Massacre, a.k.a., Death House, a.k.a., Massacre (1986)
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, a.k.a., Halloween 4 (1988)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)
Halloween 5, a.k.a., Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
Metamorphosis, a.k.a., Regenerator, a.k.a., Reanimator 2 (1990)
Revenge of the Radioactive Reporter, a.k.a., Atomic Reporter, a.k.a., Nuclear Mutant (1990)
Basket Case 3, a.k.a., Basket Case 3: The Progeny (1991)
Critters 3, a.k.a., Critters 3: You Are What They Eat (1991)
Prom Night IV: Deliver Us from Evil, a.k.a., Prom Night: Evil of Darkness (1992)
Pumpkinhead II: Blood Wings, a.k.a., Pumpkinhead 2: The Demon Returns, a.k.a., The Revenge of Pumpkinhead: Blood Wings (1993)
Ice Cream Man (1995)
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the 13th, a.k.a., Shriek 1, a.k.a., Scary Video, a.k.a., Scary Scream Movie (2001)
Jeepers Creepers 2 (2003)
Dreams in the Witch-House (2005)
Paranormal Activity 2 (2010)

4/10:
The Creeper (1948)
Bride of the Monster, a.k.a., Bride of the Atom (1955)
Teenage Zombies, a.k.a., Teenage Torture (1959)
Berserk!, a.k.a., Circus of Terror (1967)
Fangs of the Living Dead, a.k.a., Malenka, a.k.a., The Vampire's Niece, a.k.a., Malenka, Niece of the Vampire, a.k.a., Bloody Girl (1969)
Guru, the Mad Monk, a.k.a., Garu, the Mad Monk (1970)
Isle of the Snake People, a.k.a., Isle of the Living Dead, a.k.a., Snake People, a.k.a., Cult of the Dead (1971)
Maniac Mansion, a.k.a., The Murder Mansion (1972)
Drive-In Massacre (1976)
Cries in the Night, a.k.a., Funeral Home (1980)
Nightbeast, a.k.a., Night Beast (1982)
Subspecies (1991)
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, a.k.a., A Nightmare on Elm Street 6: Freddy's Finale, a.k.a., A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Final Nightmare (1991)
Critters 4, a.k.a., Critters 4: They're Invading Your Space (1992)
Mind Ripper, a.k.a., Wes Craven Presents Mind Ripper, a.k.a., The Outpost, a.k.a., Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes 3, a.k.a., The Hills Have Eyes III: Mindripper (1995)
Rumpelstiltskin (1995)
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, a.k.a., Halloween 6, a.k.a., Halloween VI: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
The Minion, a.k.a., Knight of the Apocalypse, a.k.a., Fallen Knight, a.k.a., Lukas, a.k.a., Minion (1998)
Blood (2000)
I've Been Watching You, a.k.a., The Brotherhood (2001)
Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
Hangman's Curse, a.k.a., The Veritas Project: Hangman's Curse (2003)
Dance of the Dead (2005)
The Tooth Fairy (2006)
Hood of Horror, a.k.a., Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror, a.k.a., Gang of Horror (2007)
Carne The Taco Maker (2013)

3/10:
Bride of the Gorilla (1951)
Killers from Space (1954)
Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961)
Bloody Pit of Horror, a.k.a., The Red Hangman, a.k.a., A Tale of Torture, a.k.a., Crimson Executioner, a.k.a., Some Virgins for the Hangman, a.k.a., The Castle of Artena, a.k.a., The Scarlet Hangman, a.k.a., The Scarlet Executioner (1965)
Billy the Kid vs. Dracula (1966)
Devil Times Five, a.k.a., The Terrible House on the Hill, a.k.a., Tantrums (1974)
Don't Look in the Attic, a.k.a., The House of the Damned, a.k.a., House of the Cursed Spirits (1982)
Horror House on Highway Five (1985)
The Crawlers, a.k.a., Contamination .7, a.k.a., Creepers, a.k.a., Troll 3 (1993)
Grim (1996)
Trucks, a.k.a., Trucks - Out of Control (1997)
Blood Dolls (1999)
The Erotic Witch Project (2000)
Death Valley: The Revenge of Bloody Bill, a.k.a., Death Valley (2004)
The Mad, a.k.a., Mad Zombies (2007)
2 Bedroom 1 Bath (2014)
Head (2015)
60 Seconds to Die (2017)
Puppet Master: Axis Termination (2017)
Delirium (2018)

2/10:
Robot Monster, a.k.a., Monster from Mars, a.k.a., Monsters from the Moon (1953)
Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash, a.k.a., Bikini Bloodbath 2: Bikini Bloodbath Car Wash (2008)
Horror House on Highway 6 (2014)

1/10: None

Well, this certainly got out of hand. My initial goal was 31 movies, and I ended with with four times that. I couldn't have done it without my job giving me dick for scheduled hours this month. Managed to cover 70 years, '48 to '18. Gave me new appreciation for how barren the early '50s are, and more distaste for Full Moon. Think I'll have to skip out on year-to-year coverage next time, since the availability of my remaining options for a few years is just too bleak. Hate to admit it, but I am feeling a bit burned-out on the genre, gonna switch gears to burrowing through the physical media I've accrued lately. Glad to see how much engagement the challenge got this year, here's hoping even more join in next time.

Series finished: A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th (FvJ qualifier), Halloween (minus H40), Critters, Prom Night, Grave Encounters
Top year: 1990, with seven entries
Stand-out films: Poor Pretty Eddie, The Witch Returns to Life, Amphibian Man, Dark Night of the Scarecrow, One Dark Night, Incubus, Haunts
Biggest disappointments: The Creeper, Dreams in the Witch-House, Halloween H20

Letterboxd list, for further breakdowns

Final count: 126

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 2, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dr.Caligari posted:

Re: WNUF Halloween Special

I’m not going to spoil anything, but you might skip this anyway if you haven’t seen it.

fake edit; bah, I’m going to be safe and spoiler it all

I understand the frustration, but like Lurdiak and several others, I love this movie, with its ‘flaws’ and all. Maybe it’s just the nostalgia, but I love it makes you set through the slow beginning and repetitive commercials. I suspect the film maker intended these to be a throw back to us that remember these, but I like to think it’s also a test for the younger crowd as a way to say ‘see? This is how it was. If you want the meat of the show you’re going to have to set through this’ . I guess that goes along with preparing the audience to be in the right mindset, so maybe I’m just seeing the same thing from two different views.

I think it’s also this mindset that allows me to appreciate Ghostwatch. I have no sentimental or nostalgia feelings toward the BBC, but I imagine that the slow buildup we experience in that is close to what Britain-ers set down to watch every night. WNUF just cranks everything up a notch and catches that era better, if nothing else thanks to the commercials.

I kind of find it funny when younger people, or people that weren’t in front of there TV very much find that the commercials and ‘clunkiness’ of the crew over the top. No, that’s how it was. Salesmen and even TV anchors were little more than monkeys jingling keys. And the film actually takes it easy on the repetitiveness of the commercials

I guess I understand why people don’t care for it. It is kind of a task to watch, but for those of us were at the right place at the right time, it hits something square on.The ending is weak, but I’m really not sure how you would wrap up an entry like this, so I can forgive it. It could have been worse

I’m really glad this movie exists, even if it does have diminishing returns as later generations can’t relate to it in the same way (I don’t mean to sound like a crotchety old guy, it’s just similar to how I won’t ever experience the thrill of War Of The Worlds as that demographic did)

I don’t see this movie falling out of my yearly Oct.31 playlist any time soon

I wonder what this must have been like in its initial distribution of "home release". The filmmakers recorded a bunch of copies on VHS tapes and left them, unlabeled, at random places in a VHS collector's convention. I've heard even in the bathroom. So like, the vcr effects are pretty on point if you're watching a lone, unlabeled tape you found among collectors, and the reveal of the last bit with the killers taping their violence fits right in. It feels like maybe you found their snuff tape. I love it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess I understand why people like WNUF. Like I said in my review, I think its a very well executed parody/copy and I found that nostalgia cute. But like, ultimately I think my problem is I'm not actually nostalgic for bad local public access television. I remember it. It did a good job aping it. But like... I'm pretty glad I'm not watching it anymore so I got kind of frustrated an hour or so into a perfect copy of it.

Choco1980 posted:

I wonder what this must have been like in its initial distribution of "home release". The filmmakers recorded a bunch of copies on VHS tapes and left them, unlabeled, at random places in a VHS collector's convention. I've heard even in the bathroom. So like, the vcr effects are pretty on point if you're watching a lone, unlabeled tape you found among collectors, and the reveal of the last bit with the killers taping their violence fits right in. It feels like maybe you found their snuff tape. I love it.

I wouldn't personally be pleased with that discovery myself, but I don't think it really works since they do the "FF" think periodically through the movie. So unless its a recording of someone watching a recording its pretty obviously a movie to me.

It goes back to my main criticism that they should have ditched the news broadcast (or come into it much later) and just worked those segments into the special itself with no FFing. Because like there were points where i was basically yelling at the TV "YOU FFED PAST THAT THING BUT NOT THIS?!?! WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! WHO HAS THE REMOTE?!?! DID HE GO TO THE BATHROOM!?!?!"

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

Spatulater bro! posted:

Add me to the chorus of "not really", likely because I mixed it up with a lot of arthouse and comedy horror.

Hard to get sick of a genre that contains things as different as A Page of Madness and Tales from the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Add me to the chorus of "not really", likely because I mixed it up with a lot of arthouse and comedy horror.

Hard to get sick of a genre that contains things as different as A Page of Madness and Tales from the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight.

Yeah. This, and that I also tend to stick with new-to-me flicks. If it's a rewatch, it's almost always with someone who has never seen/heard of it, so I can enjoy it through their fresh eyes as well.

And there have been a lot of new good horror movies coming out the last few years, so it also feels like catching up with what's current.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Important-ish Thread Update :siren:

Since this was such a huge thread this year, I'm still reviewing it and making sure I get everything right. It was also a busy day, and tonight is my mom's birthday, so I'm gonna switch things up from the past years.

Instead of a massive infodump on prizes, I'm going to post updates as I'm able to, over the next day or so. They should all be posted by tomorrow evening, but who the gently caress knows.

Please continue to talk and post recaps.

I appreciate all of you participating! Thanks for all the kind words and for playing along.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Worst film: Hellhouse LLC 2 was awful, and the London After Midnight reconstruction was barely a film, but I didn't watch anything as garbage as that middle hour of Street Trash.

Best not quite all horror: Dave Made a Maze. silly and refreshing. Really good.

top 5

5)Devil Rides Out
4)Mohawk
3)Chopping Mall
2)Halloween (2018)
1)Suspiria (2018)

Overall a pretty decent year, for the challenge capped off by two excellent new theatrical releases. This year has been super good for new horror, and there's still a lot of stuff I need to catch up on. Wish I had been able to squeeze in more fran challenges, rewatches and scream streams but I was pretty busy this October. Can't wait for next year

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

I'm pretty burned out but I always am by November 1st. Part of it is that I tend to do like 80% rewatches in October, so maybe that needs to change in future years.

I just grabbed the Matrix trilogy in UHD so that's gonna be my weekend, plus Netflix has a few action movies I wanna check out. Life goes on...

You might consider setting up a “first watch only” rule next year. It helped keep me engaged with the challenge and seeking new things.

I got pretty burnt out myself, so this is going to be a “find the rarest cuts on FilmStruck before they disappear” month for me, even though I was able to load up most of them on my Netflix queue. I am finally seeing new Suspiria tomorrow, so the challenge lives on in my heart.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 1, 2018

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

married but discreet posted:

Eh, the beauty of the horror is that there's so much variety that it doesn't feel like I'm watching the same genre for a month.

:same:

I don't watch all that many movies, honestly. I've seen more horror films this past month than all genres combined the previous couple years. So while I did absorb hours and hours of new experiences I also have a healthy list of unseen possibilities to still choose from. I don't always or even usually want horror when I'm in the mood for a movie but it's the genre I can most easily talk myself into. Odds are I'll keep chipping away at the mountain of new-to-me movies that have accumulated over the years; I'll just be doing it at a slower pace.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah. I haven't watched a giant robot thing in awhile and Dunbine just got a bluray release...

It's a shame there aren't enough giant robot movies for a giant robot month.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Friends Are Evil posted:

You might consider setting up a “first watch only” rule next year. It helped keep me engaged with the challenge and seeking new things.

Impossible, but I think it would be realistic to at least try to stick with a 50/50 split between new and rewatches. But I'm just not going to have a Halloween season where I don't watch Hammer Dracula flicks or Stuart Gordon movies or Return of the Living Dead or The Fog/Halloween. Not gonna happen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah come October there are some movies I wanna rewatch just to make sure I'll be in the right mood. Especially when I'd watched something that was new and disappointing I'd go for something I knew I would enjoy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I got a question for y'all. I never really watched slasher movies before this month, but one thing I'd heard a lot is that you end up rooting for the killer instead of the disposable teens. That never happened to me. aside from the occasional designated rear end in a top hat character, I always rooted for the dumb teens. I always wanted to see the last girl kick the poo poo out of Jason. The only time I rooted for Jason was when he was fighting Freddy.

When you're watching a slasher do you root for the killer to bring on the blood and gore, or do you root for the teens to make it out alive?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I got a question for y'all. I never really watched slasher movies before this month, but one thing I'd heard a lot is that you end up rooting for the killer instead of the disposable teens. That never happened to me. aside from the occasional designated rear end in a top hat character, I always rooted for the dumb teens. I always wanted to see the last girl kick the poo poo out of Jason. The only time I rooted for Jason was when he was fighting Freddy.

When you're watching a slasher do you root for the killer to bring on the blood and gore, or do you root for the teens to make it out alive?

Speaking of, the first official prize of the challenge goes to you for watching every Friday the 13th movie for the first time and doing excellent write-ups for each!

Good work Guy Goodbody! Enjoy your new av.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

For me it all depends on how the characters make an impression on me. Like in Prom Night I'm rooting for most everyone because they're all pretty likable and the movie establishes them well. But say in something like Hatchet, the characters are mostly one note and annoying so while I want suspense and interesting chases, I'm also there to see how they eventually end up dead meat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Franchescanado posted:

Speaking of, the first official prize of the challenge goes to you for watching every Friday the 13th movie for the first time and doing excellent write-ups for each!

Good work Guy Goodbody! Enjoy your new av.

This is great, thanks!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

It honestly depends on the character.

In general, I root for the victims to make it out alive. But some characters, like the pedophile cook in Sleepaway Camp or Eddy in The Burning, those characters get what they deserve.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

I never really “root” for the killer, but there are definitely some films where the killer is the most interesting part of the movie.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'll also throw in that it depends on the killer's circumstances and backstory. I never once feel any desire to root for Freddy even if they make him fun, the guy murdered kids and got what was coming to him but just keeps on keeping on at it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's probably an issue with some slashers doing a bad job establishing a protagonist victim/final girl to serve as a proper foil for the killer. Or some movies that actively set up the killer as the protagonist. And there's a lot of viewers who default to a kind of subconscious thing that the protagonist of the story is the "hero".

But I also think some people just watch these movies to see a killer gently caress people up. And like, that's just a subjective taste thing because plenty of viewers like myself are hardcore rooting for the "Final Girl".

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Basebf555 posted:

Impossible, but I think it would be realistic to at least try to stick with a 50/50 split between new and rewatches. But I'm just not going to have a Halloween season where I don't watch Hammer Dracula flicks or Stuart Gordon movies or Return of the Living Dead or The Fog/Halloween. Not gonna happen.

Oh yeah, nothing against rewatches! I still do/did rewatches this time of year. I just don’t count them towards my challenge. They kinda work as cheat days for me.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 1, 2018

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Unless the entire premise is revenge against the remorseless I don't know if I'm ever in the mood to just watch bodies hit the floor in a slasher. The kills may wind up being staged and shot well, and that's a good thing that can be entertaining, but if the victims aren't interesting outside of their death scenes then I probably don't care about the movie.

Slumber Party Massacre is a good example of a slasher that I like. Once you get past the off-key opening scenes all the remaining characters have enough life and variety in them that I don't look forward to their deaths which, oddly, is what makes the film more engaging for me. I have better things to do than watch cardboard cutouts get knocked over even if they hit the ground in spectacular ways.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

My final count:

Pre-game warm-up (Late September Watches)
-------------------------
Deadly Friend FC#4
Fear No Evil FC#2
Excision
Lake Bodom

October Watches
---------------------------
Halloween 4 FC1
The Wednesday Children FC3
Night of the Devils
Ghost Stories 2017
Swamp Thing FC5
Count Dracula
Resolution**
Living Dead At Manchester Morgue FC6'
Murder Party
Video Dead **

The Mothman of Point Pleasant
Psycho**
Viy
Pet
Piranha (78)
Terrified FC7
Bug
Magic FC8
Fermats Room
Mute witness FC9

Demonic Toys
The Witch In The Window fc10
The Penalty FC11
She Waits
Scarab
Street Trash
Clownhouse FC12
Gerald's Game
Drive-In Massacre
Legacy Of Blood
Doctor Butcher MD

The Barn
Slumber Party Massacre 2
The Phantom Empire
The Avenging Conscience
Hack-O-Lantern

** = Re-watch
FC= Fran Challenge

Met my 31 new watches in October Challenge, as well as Fran Challenges. The keen eye may notice a large chunk of Stream movies are missing, the reason is I only count movies I complete, and am coherent through. A lot I dropped in late for, left early or fell asleep during the second movie. So unfortunate things happened like watching 85% of High School Ghostbusters and not even being able to ethically count it toward my total.

I saw some good stuff this year, but none that I think reach that 'classic' status for me
Favorite New Watch -
Viy . Really just a wonderful, to-the-point horror movie with a solid story. I plan on re-watching this one and probably liking it even more on repeat viewing.

Least Liked - A shared spot.
Gerald's Game because despite the plentiful 'bad' movies I saw this month because there was nothing I enjoyed or got from this movie. It was actively irritating and I could not wait for it to end, and just when it was about it too crammed what could have been a whole other hour+ into several minutes. I haven't read the book , so I didn't have that point of reference, but it seems like something that should have remained a book.

- Terrified - This movie just let me down in every way. It seemed like a paint by the numbers modern horror with an ending that didn't make sense. The hype around this one really is what done it for me, if I went in expecting poo poo (as with like, Clownhouse) I might have got some enjoyment from it. I think this is a case where a movie being foreign also boosted its status. If it was made in the US it would just be another forgettable Redbox movie.

Unexpected Treasure - Drive-In Massacre - I practically closed my eyes and picked a Tubi movie at random and came up with this one. A really bad movie that has almost every scene ripped off from something else, but still manages to be really good if you like bad movies. I guess Piranha was similar in that I know it's just Corman making bank off of a Jaws rip-off, but he still managed to make something kind of interesting.

Hack-O-Lantern - Holy poo poo this was so much fun. A lot of the stream movies I wasn't too sure about and ended up having a great time. Hack-O-Lantern, with the stream crew, just hit the spot and really enhanced my Halloween night.

Thanks everyone again, I had so much fun once again this whole month. As for me..

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 1, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Unless the entire premise is revenge against the remorseless I don't know if I'm ever in the mood to just watch bodies hit the floor in a slasher. The kills may wind up being staged and shot well, and that's a good thing that can be entertaining, but if the victims aren't interesting outside of their death scenes then I probably don't care about the movie.

I think that's a big part of the reason I don't go for revenge flicks. Maybe you can get me invested enough in the killer/victim to want to see them get their revenge but if the satisfaction of the film is watching that person just murder a bunch of people (even if they "deserve" it) its just not going to be my bag.

The other reason I don't go for revenge flicks is I just don't want to engage with whatever the horrible thing (usually rape) that was done in the first place to justify the murder spree.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Just want to say I've really enjoyed reading people's reviews this year, I've found a lot of new poo poo to watch thanks to goons here. When I began all this I was excited to clear out a huge chunk of my horror watchlist, and despite watching 60+ loving movies I think its longer than it was before. The biggest thing I've gained from this past month was an appreciation for slashers though, so now I've got to binge through those sometime.

This entire year I've made it a point to write reviews for everything I watch on Letterboxd, and I plan on continuing, if anyone wants to follow me. If anyone else has a Letterboxd account post it up, I like having horror-goonpinions.

https://letterboxd.com/SMP/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I absolutely always end October with more movies on my "watchlist" than i started with. That seems unavoidable and really fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I absolutely always end October with more movies on my "watchlist" than i started with. That seems unavoidable and really fun.

I started the challenge with 105 movies on my list, and I'm ending it with 130.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Yeah, if any of you want to keep seeing my bad hot takes, my Letterboxd is here.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Yeah my to-watch list is also definitely larger than when I started. On the other hand, I did actually manage to clear out all the horror movies I had sitting around in my Netflix queue. Since I watched some things I'd been putting off for a while, and since I did only end up with 15 total for the month (though that number would be a little higher if I was counting re-watches), I'll probably tear through some more this month as well. Maybe try to do the rest of the challenges unofficially.

Pretty pleased with the variety of countries I watched stuff from despite the overall small number of films. I ended up watching movies set/filmed in USA, Thailand, Ireland, Japan, Italy, Iran, Germany, Poland, UK, and France. It'd be fun to really make it a goal to up that number next year.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

I got to say, neither. It's kind of comes down to who is the most interesting character because then I want to see them do things. So sometimes that's the killer because they're the active character who is doing things, but when you're dealing with personality-less ciphers, like so often occurs in slashers, then I want to see someone beat the poo poo out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess I can give out some random awards now...

Best New Movie - Mandy, although Halloween 2018 is pretty high up there too. It actually elevated the rest of the series for me, and I already loved the original. But Mandy takes the prize, it was loving awesome.
Worst Movie - Terrifier, and that's pretty bad considering I watched Hack-o-Lantern
Biggest Disappointment - Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, obviously I could've gone with I Am Not a Serial Killer but I think Dracula is the more obvious choice. Obviously.
Most Pleasant Surprise - Ginger Snaps. Okay fine, I'm a convert now ya got me.
Movie of the Month - So many good ones, and I'm tempted to just go with Mandy again but... The Exorcist III saved the day after the huge letdown of Tales From the Hood 2, and it was loving insane. It might go into regular rotation for October season from now on. So Exorcist III it is!
Be Kind Rewind - Maniac Cop 2 was a treat on VHS, but it'd probably be way better viewing it in HD. I kind of owe it to that movie because it rips... also I think I might be done with VHS tapes now except as collector's pieces.

• Locked thread