Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Love you all. Gunna try for 31 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
1. Pyshco II (1983)

I wrote a longer than usual review of this.

Short and sweet, I enjoyed this one a ton. Anthony Perkins is great, Meg Tilly is great, there's a great balance of humor and horror, and some nice critique of the culture around mental health issues in America. Below are some shots I enjoyed (not caps I took unfortunately).

- This one I tried hard to find the actual shot from the movie from but couldn't. They are both fearful of someone being the house with them and lock themselves in a room during the night. After some unease on Mary's part she comforts Norman and the shot closes with the camera pulling back, showing them hug in the tiny room they've locked themselves in, surrounded by blackness. It's a great shot and I'm bummed there's not a cap of it to share.

Last one is a gif and an ending spoiler so I'm linking it instead of embedding it: https://i.imgur.com/oXH8arp The sound it makes in the movie is brutal.

E: Oh yeah the rating part. 3.5/5 and fully recommended.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 25, 2018

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I watched this in May and really enjoyed it a lot, much moreso than I was expecting. Now that I think about it, I should've chosen it as my staff pick. More people need to discover it because imo Perkins is every bit as good in this as he was in the original, and obviously that's really saying something.

The way he expresses his struggle to remain sane is great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's actually a much better examination of mental illness than the original(which obviously wasn't even going for that). Specifically the experiences people have when they're hospitalized for a mental illness and the people in their community know about it and go out of their way to make the person's recovery even harder than it already was by being prejudiced assholes.

I actually said something similar in my review of it in letterboxd. The line from Bates's Dr about not having a counselor due to budget cuts is definitely a jab at Reagan. The movie came out two years after he signed OBRA

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Friendship with Fran over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Love these avatars

• Locked thread