Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Put me down for 31 films minimally although I think I can do 80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Why not give yourself viral encphelitisis instead. Yikes all remakes.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

drat good staff picks this year.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 14, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

1. Mandy Everyone has been gushing with praise about this and it's definitely deserved. Nicolas Cage turns in a fantastic performance. The music is amazing. Visually I think I like it more than the directors prior film. I would say that people expecting something incredibly explosive they may be a bit disappointed. The film definitely has some gret fights sequence but it does take a bit before thing start happening. Only thing I'd say is that Richard Brake was not in the film enough. Oh he opening quote is from a executed criminal Douglas Roberts.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 15, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Nightbreed is easily one of my favorite horror films. I think the big issue is that Barker never really got his vision onto the screen because if interference. Like his Directors cuts of both Lord of Illusion and Nightbreed are pretty fantastic.

Also they're both really wierd films and I don't think people knew how to approach his fantasy horror films.

Del Toro did the same thing though better but still he's doing fantasy horror.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

2) Poltergeist 2 I have never seen this I dunno how though. Anyway I really enjoyed this a lot despite it's mediocre plot. The reason I liked it is because they just amped the insanity of the film up to a thousand. Also it's got a tremendous amount of practical special effects which are always nice to seen. The acting is still solid and the plot is a bit shoehorned but really the special effects are worth sticking through this for .

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

3) Pet This is a pretty decent film and its hard to write about it without spoiling some things. Its definitely a great little "bottle" horror film and all the members of the cast give some really great performances. It drags a bit at the beginning but once things start ramping up it builds some pretty great tension.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: / 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

4) The Predator (2018) Very disappointing film overall. From the magical autistic child to the weird sexism. Overall like I'd rate it above the other sequels except for Predator 2 which owns. Very gory film. The weird thing is it doesn't feel like a Shane Black film at all. Like none of his signature stuff is in it . Like sure there are quips and such but that dark humor isn't really present I felt. Also The Predators in the film are gene splicers and they want to use the genes to make themselves better, but then at the end the Predator is like "This autistic boy I need to get his genes to become autistic? " Weird. Also they talk and that's offputting

:spooky: / 5

5) Bewitched (1981 Shaw Brothers ) . I felt this was a little to serious for the genre really of the Chinese Hong Kong Gore Films that were made 1970 til whenver they stopped. The plot concerns a man who is cursed by a woman he met in Thailand because he suffered from erectile dysfunction and couldn't gently caress her. So she went to a evil Taoist wizard and placed 7 curses on him. This led to the guy killing his daughter and that's how the story starts. Sort of in fact there's a full 40 minute flash back that serves really no purpose other than we see this guy cavorting around Thailand and the woman runs down the beach naked for like 10 minutes. Then it drags a bit and finally we get to the Taoist Good vs Evil Wizard battles which are always awesome and what's the main draw. So the last half of the movie is ust like this cop trying to stop this evil wizard or something I dunno . Overall I'd rate this on the low end of the spectrum for crazy poo poo.

A warning about Shaw brothers films they do actually kill actual animals in the films usually a chicken sometimes a snake. So if you don't like seeing that avoid.

Oh and a guy drinks fetus water.

Also, the film ends with a message about not having casual sex. Like literally, words come on the screen and are like "Beware of Voodoo , and Casual Sex"

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 16, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

6) Rampage 2018 So this is actually kind of surprisingly cheesy and good. It's about the best adaptation you could make based on a video game from 1980s. As always Dwayne Johnson plays sensitive but hyper masculine man who is kept alive by his sheer masculinity and all of the other men in the film are cowed into submission by his sheer manness. The plot is disregard-able but what everyone here for is 3 monsters fighting it out in Chicago and the movie does not disappoint. With a big giant finale where Chicago get's destroyed by the monsters. Also lots of people die gruesomely for a PG 13 film with one specific gruesome death played for laughs. If you like giant monster movies then you'll like this.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

7) The Sender 1981 Okay first off yes this film does share a striking superficial similarity to the film Patrick it just differs on all fronts with execution and quality.. First off it has some amazing actors in this film and honestly its incredibly well directed. The film is about a young man who can "send" thoughts to other people in the form of hallucinations when he is upset or angry. I'm not spoiling anything but the beginning of the film is him trying to kill himself and he ends up in a mental institution. Where two doctors played by Kathrn Harrold and Paul Freeman try to treat him. Also, the young man is played by Željko Ivanek , naturally hilarity? ensues. Also, I really liked that neither of the doctors are like evil they have a different view of treatment but even then one of the Doctors very realistically suggests electroshock therapy as the young man is severely suicidally depressed and that is actually a real treatment for that.

If you don't know who Željko Ivanek is he looks like this in the film (

But you probably know him because

(He's the one on the right) He's played all kinds of corrupt politicians, and uh corrupt cops, and uh corrupt other stuff.

Anyway if still not convinced

quote:

On the commentary track for the DVD release of Hot Fuzz, Quentin Tarantino described The Sender as his favorite horror film of 1982

Which is how I initially learned about it but haven't been able to find it until recently

Anyway it's awesome and has some pretty good gore and special FX as well.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I forget where I learned it but you can replicate that aged skin look with Elmer's Glue on your face and a comb with bristles not far apart. Then just add face makeup on top.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

8) Trauma (1993) , Directed by Dario Argento , Special Effects by TOM loving SAVINI. This is one of two English films by Argento. I'll be honest this is a weird as loving hell film. First off it deals with Asia Argentos character being anorexic. Then is has Piper loving Laurie of all people in it. Finally OUT OF NOWHERE BRAD DOURIF. I have to safe this is on the back half of Argentos career. Its weird as hell too because who films their daughter nude. Seriously. Anyway its a decent enough Giallo film set in Minneapolis with a twisty plot some decent gore and abysmal acting by Asia Argento to her credit though this is her first English language film. There's all sort of bizarre choices in this film. Like a middle of the movie voice over by a character about the dangers of anorexia and how its caused by girls wanting to kiss their dad. And Argentos daughter is playing a anorexic who dreams about kissing her dad.

Argento is like Time magazine, this guy has issues.

The film does have one of the coolest loving murder weapons put on film ( which was shamelessly stolen for that Snowman movie) a gruesome head cutting automatic garrote. Gore doesn't disappoint of coure because you know TOM loving SAVINI. It's got some still killer directing from Argento though with some signature camera movements by him that will make you wanna be a filmmaker. Not his best , not his worst. Kind of middle of the ground.

Bonus Trivia round

I think this is the SECOND film that Argento and Tom Savini both worked on and I bet some people won't be able to get the first t without google ( no cheating)

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 18, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

His names Tarman.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll fight people who say Little Monsters isn't horror. I love that movie not only now but as a kid. The book is super fun too and a lot darker in tone.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

I wasn't able to fit in another movie today because of 8 hours of car bullshit, but does anyone have any recommendations for more movies like The Void? Creepy practical creatures and cults and such.

So with those criteria I'd say

Dagon
The Resurrected (It fits the tone)
The Endless
The Babysitter ( horror comedy )
A Dark Song ( not really cultish but i think it fits)
Baskin
Jug Face
Lord of Illusions ( Directors Cut only!)
The Devil Rides Out
God Told Me To
Kill List
Suspira ( of course)
Starry Eyes
Thirst ( 1970s)
Messiah of Evil
Wake Wood
Wicker Man (Duh, Both)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Elvis Perkins is Anthony Perkins son so kind of interesting his son grew up to make horror movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

That's because despite their size those monkeys have the strength of 10 men.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

5. Fright Night (1985, Tom Holland)

This is a movie that appeals more to my 15 year old self than my current 35 year old self, and I wish I had seen it back then because I'm positive it would have been one of my favorites. I mean it's pretty cool, it has fun effects and makeup, and good performances (except for the kid's friend - what the hell sort of acting was that?), but it's just a bit, I dunno, straight forward? There weren't any surprises. But that could very likely be due to my overexposure to these sorts of vampire stories over the past three decades (many of which are probably influenced by this). Despite not loving it I am glad to have finally seen it.

(7 Amy vampires out of 5)

I fixed this for you in post Spatular Bro

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll have to search it out but the advertisements for the "lesbian" angle are not as overt as you think. Its basically stuff like "Look out she'll get your girl" and playing up that angle of it. Like it doesn't explicitly like say " Oh shes gay for gays". Also, if I am remembering correctly those advertisements were only in Europe so they're in French etc.. So I doubt that you'd be able to find them and if you do they're in French etc..

As far as the film goes its gayer than Bride of Frankenstein. Like you have her lustful looks also a cut scene made it more explicit she was drawing the woman nude. Also she's going to psychiatrist to cure her "vampirism". By "vampirism" I mean her sensational love for venus mounds.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

9) 976-Evil directed by Robert Englund featuring... that guy from Fright Night. No not him. Not him either. Yeah that other guy the best friend. Uh. I wasn't really into this not enough gore. Just didn't dig it. Still alright for a 80s movie and its neat to see a movie directed by Robert Englund.

:spooky: :spooky: / 5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

10) Devil Fetus 2 : The Rape After Another Hong Kong gore flick thats too light on the gore. Overall I think the tone of this film did not help it. It takes itself waaaaaaaaaaay to seriously. Where instead of a fun romp with gross special effects you get rather dour and serious exorcist knock off. The main character of the film wa what started the whole thing to begin with he becomes the hero! and nothing really bad happens to him is kind of a terrible person . Its got some memorable sequels but overall I'd give this one a pass. Not enough gore, too serious, and a plot that doesn't go anywhere. There's not even a really great wizard battle.

Overall kind of a let down when compared to Devil Fetus.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Please don't disparage my adopted horror child.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Please don't speak to me or my demon children ever again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Night of the Hunter is a visual masterpiece and Laughton came from theater. He actually didn't just disappeared he just went back to directing theatrical plays and acting. Once you catch on that he set the movie up in some shots just like a elaborate stage play the film becomes even more engrossing. The film is meant to be played in a movie theater. I have always wanted to see it on the big screen because some shots take up the whole frame of the movie.

Also once you notice that Wes Anderson steals liberally from this for like ALL his movies you can't stop noticing it. Like straight up a lot of the camera work is just this film.

Kind of a interesting connection.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

MetalPriestess posted:

Phenomena (1985)
The horror thread said this one was bonkers, and they weren't kidding! The soundtrack was both jarring and awesome (Iron Maiden plus a Goblin score? Sure, why not!). My favorite bit was when Jennifer is saved at the end, not by her insect swarms, but by a chimp with a razor That got a good laugh out of me. All the weirdness just added to my enjoyment of it.
3.5/5

That monkey attacked Jennifer Connelly and bit off part of her finger IRL.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

married but discreet posted:

5. Devil Fetus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0qPwrxLULQ
Wizardry fail, but movie success. It's just as dumb as you would expect from the clip, it's crazy, it's sincere, I love it. Thanks for whoever found this gem, it's on youtube so go see it.

Previously watched:
Creepshow II
Monster Squad
Mandy
Shock

Thanks that would be me. If you liked that check out The Seventh Curse , Boxers Omen , Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

Seventh Curse has Chow Yun Fat , Boxers Omen is kind of just as insane as Devil Fetus.

Finally you have Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires which is like required horror fan viewing. Not only is it the last time Saint Peter (Cushing ) plays Van Helsing it's the only Shaw Brothers and Hammer joint production. Like it's legit fantastic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

married but discreet posted:

You rock! Seen Curse, will watch Boxers Omen too. I've never seen a Hammer horror movie (I know, shameful), is Vampires a good place to start?

Yeah it doesn't require any prior knowledge of the previous films. Its a good jumping off point but it is very very different than a normal Hammer Horror.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The cool thing about Baby Blood English dub is that Gary Oldman does the voice of the Fetus. It is super creepy compared to the Italian sing song voice.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

11. Hell Comes to Frogtown

The poster says it all

It's a contrast of two worlds

It has Roddy Piper ( They Live ) and Sandhal Bergman ( Valkyrie from Conan) It's directed by Donald G. Jackson. I would have thought this film was a fever dream if I had not watched it sober .

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

17. The Boxer's Omen (1983). Directed by Chih-Hung Kuei.
Saw via super low-quality YouTube upload

Maybe my favorite discovery of the challenge so far? I don't think I've seen anything like this grotesque day-glo Buddhist body horror nightmare in my life and I want more of it. This movie is out of its drat mind. It's a shame every home release of this is either long out of print or looks like it was posted in 2006. I will gladly offer up one of my limbs to Criterion or Shout Factory if it means they'll track down a print and get the rights to release it on Blu-Ray.

Can anyone recommend more Shaw Brothers films like this?

The movies you are looking for are Devil Fetus , Hex , Black Magic , The Seventh Curse , Encounters of the Spooky Kind , A Chinese Ghost Story, Human Lanterns , Seeding of a Ghost

Devil Fetus is my staff recommendation

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

Are any of these streaming or rentable besides The Seventh Curse? I really want to watch Encounters of the Spooky Kind or Mr. Vampire next.

Like all of them are on YouTube. Some are on Amazon prime. Vudu has some for free, Tubu has some as well.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 2, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mover posted:

I'm looking at 1989 for horror and there's some good choices. CHUD 2 Bud the CHUD, The Church aka Demons 3, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, Vampire's Kiss. I already did Santa Sangre this month and highly recommend it for any other 89s. I'm even curious about The Exorcist III, if only for cameos by Patrick Ewing and Fabio.

Hrmmm

1989 you say

Well here it goes

The Church, Exorcist 3 , Vampires Kiss, Pet Sematary , Intruder, Leviathan, Parents , Puppet Master, Shocker, Society, Warlock, Tetsuo the Iron Man,

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 4, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

12. Human Lanters (1982)(

This was more serious in tone compared to the other Hong Kong Horror from Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest . It works though despite being filled to the brim with fight scenes ( the last 20 minutes of the movie is like one long fight scene) and kind of disturbing gore special effects. I think comparing it to a Hammer horror film is really apt because the some of the sets feel right out of a Hammer film.

Overall the acting is good, the fighting choreography is pretty drat great, the parts that are suppose to be scary in fact do come off as scary which is kind of rare in some of these films. Production quality is really high as well. Just a really drat well made mash up.

It doens't have that sheer reach for the stars insanity of practical effects that the other 80s Shaw Wuxia Horror has but it has a lot of loving style. I mean the villian basically has a insane laboratory of sorts.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 5, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uh Halloween lasts from the beginning of October to the day before Thanksgiving

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

13. The Shape of Water

I really loved this film. You can tell a lot of love went into the production of the film. Del Toror's directing was phenomenal. Acting was amazing. It was interesting to me how he managed to make a 1950s horror movie and take it into the present and it still kind of remain in todays terms. I loved all the subtle stuff in this film. I think the role I loved the most was Richard Jenkins . He really should have won best supporting actor.

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Howling 2 is pro tier bad movie watching. I love it so much.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

14. Jigsaw

I'd say this is the weakest of the entries though. The kills were interesting and ridiculously over the top. Overall though just boring. It was nice seeing Tobin Bell but just really as a soft reboot or whatever the gently caress this was it just was really dull and nothing grabbed my attention.

Better off really just watching a supercut of it on youtube.

:spooky: :spooky: /5

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 7, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

15. Night of the Virgin

What to say about this film. Well it is certainly gross , but in a way that's not like "Yuck" but like " I am physically ill". If you are a fan of comedic horror total gross outs then you'll love this. Gross out films work when the gore is bright, but this this is all dark red blood and it is loving dirty. It is a dirty film. It's hilarious in a way that is hard to describe but you will laugh and you will squint your eyes and there is a huge pay off.

I am just going to spoil a huge portion of the movie now because you need to know what you are in for.

Huge Spoilers
A young ( the virgin) man give birth rectally in graphic detail to like some sort of demon baby

It's on Shudder it is hilarious.

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: / 5

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 8, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

15. Wicked City (1987)

It has terrible art , the plot is incomprehensible. I wanna hunt down who ever recommended this when I asked for movies like Perfect Blue in the horror thread. The only thing interesting was the woman turning into a giant vagina that the lead guy is super afraid of.

Otherwise Garbage.

:spooky: /5

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Watch a horror film made outside of the USA & Canada & UK & Japan

You forgot to add China and S Korea

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Coffin Joe movies have been on my "Eventually, one of these days" list for awhile

Same I keep meaning to and just don't.

• Locked thread