Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Finally starting this:

1. Terrifier (2017)

🤡

I agree with most of the prevailing opinions about this. Loved the guy who played Art the Clown, loved how it didn't pull any punches with the gore, and I really liked how fast past it felt. Someone said that the clown looked "too scary" at one point in the thread and I kind of agree. I've known about this movie for a while and wasn't really excited about it because the clown had a ICP teeshirt kind of feel to him, but in action I think he really works. It was pretty surprising when he pulls out a gun and just shoots "our" heroine in the face. You don't see that kind of thing in many slashers.

4/5

2. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) (umpteenth rewatch)

My wife wanted to watch these movies so we're going through the first few of them. It's weird how once you've seen a movie a bunch you start to focus on the stupidest poo poo. Like trying to figure out if they call him "Fred" or "Freddy" more, or just staring, staring, and staring at John Saxton's hairpiece. One thing I've never loved about the movie was the booby-trap stuff. I know Craven was just really into those and the time and worked them in but they feel so mundane in a movie about a dream-demon. That first kill with the rotating room will always be great though.

4.5/5

3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985) (rewatch)

The gender and sexuality stuff comes up about this movie a bunch and that definitely makes it more interesting, but I thought it really dragged there in the middle. It especially felt that way after watching the first one the day before. The movie can be pretty funny at times though. I guess overall I just wasn't feeling it this time around.

2.5/5

4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) (rewatch)

Like all correct people I believe this is the high water mark of the series. A coworker of my wife recently took their own life, and with that on our minds it was hard not to notice how much of the movie is centered around suicide. That's not the movies fault of course, it was just something I hadn't noticed before. Otherwise it was a really fun rewatch.

4.75/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

2) Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (1941)

A strange beast. Reuben Mamoulian's movie was essentially a banned production following the introduction of the Code, seen only in a massively cut form which took out all the licentiousness. MGM wanted to get some of the action, so they bought it from Paramount and remade it to an almost identical script except with a bit more churchin' up and a lot less nudity. The result isn't a bad movie in and of itself, but watching both versions back to back shows up the flaws in the remake. While March's makeup seems a mite extreme, Spencer Tracy as Jekyll and Hyde is like comparing sane Nic Cage with crazy Nic Cage - they look too much the same for anyone not to realise the "big secret". And while the remake has huge star power compared to the original, the performances simply aren't as good.

Also the 1941 version loses points for everyone bar one actress pronouncing "Jekyll" wrong.

Man I really need to get around to watching these movies. I didn't know that back story about them.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

Killer Klowns from Outer Space sitting in my PVR for a bit, would it be ok for a 6 year old or does it get super gorey/violent?

Klowns had a very profound effect on me when I saw it at 8. I could say it gave me nightmares, but it’s more accurate to say that I just didn’t sleep for a week after seeing it. It’s the most I’ve ever been scared of a movie ever.

So yeah show it to that 6 year old.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

This might be the lowest score I've seen anyone give that film.

When I saw it as a little kid my take on it was something like “The bride is barely in it and I expected her to have lightening powers. I don’t understand the little king and queen guys. 1/5 stars.”

I also didn’t like The Mummy because he wasn’t “dressed” like a mummy except at the beginning.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm saving the real good stuff and more Halloween themed movies until October. For now I'm just hitting random stuff that catches my fancy. Pretty sure today will be 47 Meters Down.

Man I started that poo poo one night last week and did not even make it to the sharks. I was incredibly annoyed the whole time, it felt like I was watching Laguna Beach or something.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
In my first post I forgot to mention that I'm going for 31 this year, expecting to fall short as usual.

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #1: Love Something You Hate :siren:

:ghost: Pick a film that you have seen before that you hated, did not like or just didn't get. Rewatch it, and re-evaluate.

5. Scream (1996) (rewatch)

I don't have the same appreciation for Scream as most horror fans. I definitely hated it when it came out because I was kind of a contrarian and it's widespread popularity among teens made me instantly hate it. I've revisited it a couple of times and still disliked it, despite really wanting to because I like Craven overall. I still don't like how every teen in the whole town is an insane sociopath and I don't like Ghostface's whole look. I never found that mask frightening and the blousey costume is awkward looking. I don't like smug teen killers in general either.

Things I did like this time:

1) I forgot about that Nick Cave song. I like that song.

2) The opening scene is a great standalone short film. The whole thing works.

3) The garage door kill is so confusing I kinda loved it this time.

4) Nev Campbell is good in it.

All in all I think a warmed up to it a bit more. I definitely still harbor a grudge against it because of all the smug 90s Dawson's creek slashers that followed it, but I realize I'm probably wrong about that as well.

3/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

10) Devil Fetus 2 : The Rape After

What a title. :stare:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
6. Mandy (2018)

Sometimes a movie just gets you:

I wish I had seen this in theaters. I don't have a small TV by any means but I imagine some of those scenes would have been really intense on a bigger screen. It's still cool looking as hell. It definitely felt like more of an action movie after finishing it, but thinking back on it most of it is pretty hosed up horror movie -it's just that the revenge portion of the story is so blood soaked and metal that it feels like it takes up more of the movie than it does. Cage's character taking the time to forge a brand new revenge-axe out of raw metal cracked me up. Loved the LSD cenobite bikers too. Lives up to the hype in my opinion.

4/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
7. November (2017)

November is a pretty strange movie. It's very spooky and haunting overall, but I don't strictly think it's a horror movie. It's just that 19th century Estonian folk beliefs are apparently creepy as hell. The black and white photography is quite pretty at times and can be very dreamlike. I kind of don't really feel like I ever got a firm grasp on exactly what was going on with the various magics and whatnot. Pretty good Saturday morning movie, and surprisingly funny.

4/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

Fun factoid: this was the last movie of the great Jack Hawkins. Hawkins lost his larynx to cancer in 1966 but continued to act in speaking roles for the last seven years of his life with the aid of his friends Robert Rietty and Charles Gray, who would dub his lines.

I expected this to mean he was dubbed in a handful of movies but its almost 20. It didn’t even slow him down really.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
8. Salem's Lot (1979)

I just finished this book last week so it was hard to watch this without thinking about it in that context. I think that a lot of the decisions made to pare the book down to fit into a miniseries really help the story. While reading the last quarter of the book I was really frustrated how the characters were still loving around talking about Varney the Vampire and poo poo during daylight hours when then they could be wiping out the vampires they all agree are real. In this miniseries the vampire plague that hits Salem's Lot seems to come on a lot quicker, and it makes the characters actions seem much more believable. I liked how they made Barlow more of an Orlok rather than a Dracula, and James Mason steals most every scene he's in.

3.5/5

edit: Putting the Spielberg conspiracy aside I think this is the missing link that explains how the Tobe Hooper who did Chainsaw could also do Poltergeist a few years later.

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 23, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
9. The Resurrected (1992)

I only recently became aware of this movie and I'm not sure why because it's an adaptation of a Lovecraft story that I quite like, and it's directed by Dan O'Bannon. As far as Lovecraft adaptations go it's surprisingly truthful to the original text. It has some good early 90s gore effects and even some stop motion skeletons. If you like goopy, fleshy, abominations glopping around and ripping skin off people this movie is for you. It's not quite as good as Re-animator or The Beyond but it's definitely good enough to be talked about more.

3.75/5

Demon House (2018)

I was looking for a horror-documentary in the vein of Cropsey or Killer Legends and found this. It's not in that vein at all, and is pretty much indistinguishable from an extra long episode of a ghost hunter show on Discovery or something. I'm not going to pretend I don't kind of like those shows sometimes but an extra long version of it really doesn't do the format any favors. The re-enactments are pretty loving funny though.

1/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 23, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

43- Night of the Demon 1957

I've seen this under this title and the Curse of the Demon one. I also credit this movie with introducing me to M.R. James and compelling me to read everything he's written.

What is there not to love about this one. The cinematography and editing's excellent. That underlying tension of whether Karswell is really a spell caster or just an incredibly skilled manipulator, the not being sure whether what we're seeing is real or manipulated delusions. The demon's appearance is one of my faves even though those appearances are fairly quick.

Sometimes people ding this movie for showing the demon at the end but those people are wrong. I like that demon.

Also 43 movies and there's still a week of September left, you feeling ok?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

:slick:

And since M.R. James has been brought up , I’m going to give my yearly suggestion of the 1970s series A Ghost Story For Christmas

They are a series of short, slow burn ghost stories that range from good to amazing. At least some of the shorts are usually always on YT, otherwise the DVD set is rather expensive

So for that to count for the challenge would we need to watch all of them? Individually they’re too short.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

So. There's one week left til the month starts, and I can actually begin my watching of stuff I've never seen. As I said earlier, I'd love if this year I would get some major goon input what to watch. This is difficult, because as you can see from My Letterboxd which is I'm sure by no means 100% accurate, (not to mention the site has a whole separate section for "thrillers" whatever that means) I've watched quite a few, so this marathon challenge of my personal rules gets harder each year. Anyways, I'm basically asking for your help. I'll let any goon command me in October to watch a horror movie I haven't. Only one title per person, so as not to make a mess of things. I'll do my best to include it in my lineup. There's no toxxing or anything here, it's just for fun, I just like the idea of you all making up my mind for me. To make things least error-filled, I guess you can go through that Letterboxd list linked above. If you name something I've already seen but is missing from the list, we both have a laugh, and you get to choose again. I don't care where you suggest the title to me; here, in the scream stream discord, in my pm inbox, whatever floats your boat. Thanks for the help!

Have you seen The Transfiguration from 2016? I heard about it from someone in the discord channel months ago so I’m kinda poaching their find but it’s on Netflix.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

21st Century made films, especially from this decade are the biggest gaps in my viewing. Noted.

Wait, if you haven’t seen The Witch I change my suggestion to that. I just assumed you had.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 25, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
11. Pumpkinhead (1988) (rewatch)

This is a cool witch, one of the best witches. Classic witch:

I probably should have waited for closer to Halloween for this one because this movie is extremely halloweeny. Pumpkin patches, a Stan Winston monster, and a classic witch. I kind of forgot what a gut punch the first 20 minutes of the movie is. A lot of the weight of the movie is on Lance Henriksen's shoulders and he delivers. He somehow convincingly portrays a loving father despite looking like a backwoods skeleton come to life. Also thanks to Amazon Primes player I now know about this dog actor:

That's a quality horror-dog!

4.75/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House| 11. Pumpkinhead

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 25, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

5/31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et-xhuWtu4M

This is not It. This is actually Clowntergeist,

I love that poo poo like this keeps getting made. It’s oddly comforting.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
That challenge is a good reason for me to finally watch Carnival of Souls.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
12. Prom Night (1980)

Prom Night is a pretty strange slasher. It doesn’t seem as concerned with scaring the audience as it is for disco music, disco dancing and teen drama. Outside of the inciting incident no one dies for something like an hour. I’m also confused by the character of Slick. He’s pudgy, dorky and a little sleazy but his interactions with Kelly seem so genuine, and the actors have such a weird chemistry, that you can’t help but like them. Am I supposed to feel sad or laugh when they get killed (killed, then exploded)? Also why in the hell is Jamie Lee Curtis dancing with her principle-father at her senior prom? There’s some gory payoffs at the end though, and for me the weirdness is part of the film’s charm. I can see why it’s a cult favorite.

3.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House| 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is a loving awesome challenge and it makes me want to complete all the challenges now. I live in Kansas so this is gonna be interesting. (e: man, most movies filmed in the KC area are filmed in Missouri :( )

Carnival of Souls is what I’m going with. I actually had no idea it was filmed in Lawrence until I googled it.

edit: also I find it hard to believe that KCMO wouldn’t count if you live on the kansas side. I mean its the same city.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 26, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
13. Tales from the Crypt (1972)

I'm really glad I finally saw this. These Amicus anthologies are becoming one of my favorite things in horror, I know I'm late the the party but better late than never I guess. Peter Cushing plays a monster, there's a killer Santa, some solid technicolor gore, and the absolute worst handling of a monkey paw situation I've ever seen (get your poo poo together Enid, they told you not to wish on it!). All the segments are pretty solid but my favorites were the 3rd (Wish You Were Here) and the 4th (Poetic Justice). The wraparound story ends with the Crypt Keeper casting all the main characters from the previous segments into hell, which seems like a pretty raw deal for the guy who didn't do anything wrong and got monkey pawed by his wish-happy wife.

A really fun film. I think I'm going to finish out the remaining Amicus anthologies that I haven't seen for the rest of the challenge (Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, Torture Garden and Vault of Horror).

5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House| 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Don't Look Now(1973)

I never quite get the backlash against this movie. Sure it’s been the center of a lot of proto “post horror” opinions from people who like to dismiss the genre but that’s not the movie’s fault. The only thing I don’t like about it is that interminable sex scene.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a film that was filmed in the state you currently live in.

14. Carnival of Souls (1962) on Amazon Prime

I'm a horrible horror fan that hasn't seen this movie until now. It's partially filmed in Lawrence, Kansas -including a drag race that tears through an intersection I drive through everyday. Now that I've seen it I can pretend I'm hurtling my car towards some kind of existential nightmare of an afterlife rather than going to work everyday. Needless to say the place was much more rural back in 1962. It's clear why this is such a revered cult movie. Its tiny budget is obvious sometimes, but it's completely overshadowed by creative camera work and the overall eeriness of the whole thing. This scene made me loving jump too, which is not something that happens to me when watching older movies:

Really great experience watching it. I'm a fan for life.

5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House| 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 30, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
15. The Fly II (1989) on HBO

The first film is so much more personal and much more concerned with making the viewer feel what Brundle is feeling. In the original, the brundle-fly isn't something you'd want to become for any reason. It's dangerous, but it's also pitiable and broken. In this movie it's more of an avenging demon, exploited by an evil corporation it then sets out to destroy. It even likes doggies still. I like the gore (see the above gif) and the monster effects but overall it's just not as impactful a movie as the first one.

2.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House| 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 30, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a horror movie with LGBQT+ plot or themes (directly or indirectly).

16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker (1982) aka Night Warning, watched on Youtube

I picked this off one of the lists Fran posted specifically because I'd never heard of it before. I was expecting schlock (and got plenty of it) but was pleasantly surprised that there was also a pretty interesting film in there. The protagonist is caught between his batshit Oedipal aunt and an irrational homophobic detective. Surprisingly progressive for 1982, I think. There are some points, especially in the climatic killing spree, where it feels like a John Waters movie without the jokes. Bill Paxton is in it in one of his earliest performances -back when he only played dimmed witted bullies. Overall I enjoyed it, but it does seem to drag a bit in the middle. I wish I knew what the hell either of the titles mean.

3.75/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

17- Little Shop of Horrors

Man I love this movie. It's a bit bittersweet though, really made me miss Rock Moranis, John Candy, and a Steve Martin who cares.
This is a great movie though. I love the music, I love the effects, I love the cast. There's really nothing about I don't like. And yes we stuck to the happy ending, I just like it better

I get liking the happy ending better on some level but you have to admit getting rid of Don’t Feed Plants is insanity. It’s the big closing number.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Did a double feature of these two movies. I've seen a lot of people in the horror thread say that you don't need to see the first film to watch the second one, and that's true, but I think watching the first one after seeing the second one would make the first one less enjoyable. It seems like it would undercut the whole gist of the movie by making people think about the universe of the second movie, which isn't really in in the first film. Anyway,

17. Resolution (2012) watched on Shudder

It's interesting reading reviews of this that came out at the time of its release because most everyone wanted to talk about it in terms of Cabin in the Woods. A lot of the discussions I read describe the different weird elements that comprise the movie's setting as horror tropes in the vein of the satirical monsters and boogens in Cabin in the Woods. And the film is about story telling, or at least one of the characters thinks it is. Personally I think all the weird elements and characters (the UFO cult, the insane asylum, the tweakers, the territorial natives, the shady buisnessman with a mysterious briefcase, a cave full of roaring (?) hobos, etc.) are just there to illustrate all the dangers the characters could encounter if they misheed the mixed media messages from the future. I don't think they're meant to be overtly satirical or evocative of horror tropes, I think it's more of a sandbox for an unconventional story. Pretty interesting indie movie.

3.75/5

18. The Endless (2017) on Netflix

If the first movie is horror-scifi, this is scifi-horror(ish). The setting of the first film is described more fully, and it's not just a malevolent spirit loving with people. It's also time-loops. Watching these back-to-back felt a lot like watching the first two seasons of Lost or something, except in this case the viewer actually gets a resolution (:v:). It does leave me with some questions that I doubt the filmmakers actually give a poo poo about, like what's the Indian Res's relationship with the time-loops, can they come and go as they please? What's the deal with the roaring hobo cave? Are they in a time loop? Now that the chacters from the first film are locked in their loop, can all the stuff that happened in the first film (calling people on the cell phone, going to town, etc.) not happen? If so how does that affect the events of the first movie? Despite these (or because of them) I quite enjoyed it.

3.75/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 3, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #4: Worst of the Best or Best of The Worst :siren:

:ghost: Watch a highly regarded director's worst movie.

19. Spontaneous Combustion (1990) on Prime

I’ve read that this is considered something of a turning point in Hooper’s filmography. He had two hugely impactful movies (TCM, Poltergeist) and a bunch of genre favorites (Lifeforce, TCM2, etc.) and then it kind of falls off a cliff with this exploding people film. It’s not like I don’t get how Spontaneous Combustion could be called a bad movie based on its absurd premise. The government wants to test a radiation vaccine so it drops a hydrogen bomb on a young married couple, but what the government doesn’t know is that the head scientist in fact wanted to trick the couple into having a child with the power to burn people with his mind. Tale as old as time. But what we end up with is a Tobe Hooper body horror movie starring Brad Dourif, and nobody plays a sweaty weirdo better than Dourif. Surprisingly entertaining movie, honestly.

3.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I remember the whole Faces of Death thing when I was a kid (I mean, the 90s, not '78). It was the US, not the UK, but it was still this taboo thing you had to like get a tape from some dealer you found in the back of a magazine or on some newsgroup if you were one of the few who had and understood the internet or go to some seedy shop to find amongst the hosed up porn.

It was always the "kind of horror fan" I specifically wanted to assure people I wasn't.

All the cool kids in the 90s were simply shown Faces of Death by their friend’s weird uncle with very little explanation.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Tubi TV recently added Anthropophagus under the title The Grim Reaper if anyone wanted to tackle that one

Hopefully it's not that cut of it that removes the most memorable scene.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
20. Hardware (1990) on Hulu

This has been on my radar for a while, and I was operating under the assumption that I'd love it based on images I've seen. Unfortunately, what the movie has in style is undercut by the story. I don't think this is a "style is substance" situation either. The late 80s dystopian setting is really cool and weirdly nostalgic to me, and it seems like most of the effort was put towards building the world up. Despite this, the movie primarily takes place in a single apartment, and all the world building seems wasted. Similarly the killer-robot looks rad as hell, but once it starts moving around it doesn't seem as scary. Overall I had mixed feelings about the movie.

2.25/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

BioTech posted:

13. The Transfiguration
This is like Vampire's Kiss, but featuring a troubled teen in a public housing project and played completely straight. Some people say it reminds them of Martin, but I haven't seen that one yet. It is a very rewarding slowburn with some shocking moments that reminded me of The Eyes of My Mother. It is a bit different from most stuff that I'm watching, but I really dug it. Haven't seen a lot of people write about this movie around here, so I'd love to hear what you guys think.

I really feel like The Transfiguration flew under a lot of people’s radar. It’s not earth shatteringly great but it has a pretty unique setting and protagonist for a vampire movie. It was a pretty good (manipulative?) trick that whenever I thought “oh this is cribbing from Martin/Let the Right One In/Lost Boys” the main character seemed to mention that movie. It’s like the movie thinks you have to cite your references.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

20. The Black Cat (1934, Edgar G. Ulmer) Source: DVD (library)

I love that not only did Karloff’s character build a lever that explodes his entire castle, but Lugosi somehow knows about it.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Was it Dennis Miller being Dennis Miller or something else?

I blame the producer for putting Miller into it. Miller is going to act precisely how you’d expect. You don’t get mad at a puppy for pissing on the rug, and you don’t get mad when a film starring Denise Miller is annoying and kind of lovely.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

I could barely make it through this shitfest. It holds the coveted title of Worst Zombie Movie I've Seen. Quite an accomplishment.

Franchescanado posted:

The worst zombie movie I've ever seen is Die You Zombie Bastards! That movie filled me with hatred for everyone involved.

Worse than Pot Zombies?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have to write these movies up before they slip my brain completely (two of them are not that great).

21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley (2008) on Netflix

I like movies where the devil possesses people but the devil is in the details and the details in this devil movie loving suck. The cold open feels like it was just put in there to pad the time (I don't know why, it didn't seem that short to me), you don't need a cold open to explain to the audience that the devil will make lovely deals with desperate people. That's a very old idea. I suppose the ending is supposed to make us feel a cold chill when the heroine of the story is all cold and evil after her possession has taken hold, but honestly she's just a slightly more confident version of her previous self. The only evil thing we see is her being a dick to her dad, but that idiot made a deal with Satan and then tried to pass himself off as an atheist. Was hoping for something along the lines of The Craft (based solely on the Netflix thumbnail) but was bored out of my goddamned mind.

0.5/5

22. Hold the Dark (2018) on Netflix

I used to think Jeffery Wright could only play fancy, overly poised, weird men. Turns out he can play a grizzled sad man just as well. Actually, I think this is his best role to date. Like Saulnier's previous movies, Hold the Dark is about a good, nominally gentle, man being put through a gauntlet of violence. Wright's character (unlike the guys in Blue Ruin and Green Room) is able to maintain his ethics throughout the film, and I think is even rewarded for it in a strange way. It's a rough movie emotionally (typical of Sailnier), punctuated with sudden violence (again, typical) and even flirts with the supernatural a bit (atypical). Really loved it.

5/5

23. Truth or Dare (2017) on Netflix

This was apparently a SyFy movie which makes me kind of want to judge is less harshly. It's not trying to be ironic or self aware, but it's still a made for basic cable horror movie. A fair amount of gore for a made for tv movie and there's some kills in there that made me laugh. But overall I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone, and I doubt I'll be able to remember anything about in a years time. There's another Truth or Dare that came out this year (the one where a teen has a spooky smile) that's not this movie - so that's a little weird. Enjoyed the fedora'd "milady" joke I guess.

1.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare

Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a horror movie released in the year you were born.

24. Trick or Treats (1982) Prime

1982 was a pretty good year for horror, with a few total classics being released within a few months of each other. This movie is not one of those classics, but I wanted to watch something new and it is definitely halloweeny so I picked it. The plot's kind of a mess. A father is wrongfully committed by his wife to a mental institution, then escapes and sets out to murder her (and their son?). If he's so uninsane why is he acting so crazy? His wifes not home and he ends up attacking the baby sitter after a number of humorous (?) adventures including eating at a diner in drag and robbing winos at knifepoint. These antics run parallel to the antics of the totally not insane killer's son, who keeps tricking the baby sitter into thinking he's killed himself. Pretty weird movie. The acting is really broad and I can't imagine it scaring anyone, but it's campy and not always boring, so I guess I kind of liked it.

2.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats

Fran Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 13, 2018

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
25. The 'Burbs (1989) (umpteenth rewatch)

Just some random thoughts I had on this rewatch:

What struck me about this movie this time I watched it was just how good the cast is. I don't think it'd be remembered nearly as well if the cast wasn't so drat charming. Really makes me wish Carrie Fisher had been in more movies. I hadn't noticed that it's TCM2 and not the original that Hank's sees while flipping through the tv, so that's cool. Definitely a good Halloween movie and worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet.

4.5/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats | 25. The 'Burbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #6: Video Nasties
:ghost: Watch a Video Nasty*

25. Dead and Buried (1981) on Shudder

Really cool movie that I've been putting off seeing for too long. Fun Stan Winston effects with a pretty interesting mystery. That said, I have to wonder about the motivations of the main villain. If he had full control of the character (since he's been dead the whole time), why did he put him through all this? Was he just bored? Jack Albertson steals every scene he's in, and this is one of his final roles.

4.5/5

26. Digging Up the Marrow (2014) Shudder

Directed by the guy behind the Hatchet movies. I'm kind of lukewarm on the Hatchet movies, and that extends somewhat to this movie. I like the idea, and I do like some of the spooky boogens we get to see. I just wish there was more of the good stuff and less self insert stuff that (while self deprecating) still feels a little arrogant. I don't mind the horror fan meta-humor but I think the movie could have been better if it had leaned into the monsters even more. Ray Wise is great like usual.

2.25/5

Movies seen: 1. Terrifier | 2. A Nightmare on Elm Street | 3. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge | 4. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors | 5. Scream | 6. Mandy | 7. November | 8. Salem's Lot | 9. The Resurrected | 10. Demon House | 11. Pumpkinhead | 12. Prom Night | 13. Tales from the Crypt | 14. Carnival of Souls | 15. The Fly II | 16. Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker | 17. Resolution | 18. The Endless | 19. Spontaneous Combustion | 20. Hardware | 21. The Haunting of Molly Hartley | 22. Hold the Dark | 23. Truth or Dare | 24. Trick or Treats | 25. Dead and Buried | 26. Digging up the Marrow

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 14, 2018

• Locked thread