Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I'm definitely in again this year. I have so many failed attempts that another won't hurt. This year my goal is to not burn myself out watching 3-4 movies a day. Instead I've picked out 31 movies that all have one terrible, terrible thing in common:

October 2018 Challenge: Remakes! https://boxd.it/1Z2zY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Friends Are Evil posted:

That's a hell of an idea, but man, 2017 Mummy is loving rough. Kinda surprised '99 Mummy didn't take it's place.

I had to straddle a fine line between, "yes this is a good remake worthy of my time" and "Oh that's sad".

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I just checked out the staff picks and saw someone suggested Spookies. This is a perfect time for you all to read The Strange Saga of Spookies.

https://thedissolve.com/features/oral-history/788-the-strange-saga-of-spookies/

Also Franchescanado do you need assistance with the Hulu horror list? I can knock out a letterboxd list pretty quick.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

Please! That would be great

Starting now. I'll post the list when finished.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Here is a curated list of Hulu Horror. Just remember: if this is the stuff I put in, imagine what I left out.

https://boxd.it/230Q2

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

So, I have a spare Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) on Blu-ray. A goon won it in last year's thread but never sent me a correct address after attempts to contact to fix the error. So I sat on it until this year. As before and with everything in life, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The Contest:

Let's kill several birds with one stone. Lesser known indie films, Canadian provenance, one confined setting vs. one larger world, and production dates in the first decade of the century. First goon to watch and review either Fido or Pontypool, preferably both but not required, can claim the Blu-ray. If the parricipant has seen one but not the other, watch and review the new-to-them film. If they've seen both, re-watch and review whichever they think would be most interesting to bring attention to in this thread.

Need not be a balls out review but do put in some effort to do the film proper justice 'round here.

Eligibility: The winner must have never seen 1978's Body Snatchers. They must also give me a correct shipping address. If they live outside the North American continent, I may just order a copy from their own hellish Amazon to be delivered if cheaper and/or than shipping this one overseas plus dealing with customs and potential for the disc to be region locked. Please link me the product page as a courtesy if not 'Murkin or Canadian.

Ok so unless I somehow skimmed over it earlier no one wants to go to bat for Fido or Pontypool? OK then:

Watch Pontypool. I just finished a rewatch and it remains one of the most unique setups for a horror movie I've ever seen. It's essentially a zombie film that isn't a zombie film, if that makes sense. Its about a radio host and his crew in a radio station when some strange reports start coming in... I don't want to ruin it for anybody. I can say that it takes the concept of "What you can imagine is far more horrifying than what you can see" (for the most part) and just jams with it. It's claustrophobic, it's weird, it's contemplative, taut, philosophical, violent, maybe a bit funny. I really enjoy Pontypool and have yet to see anything like it since the first time I watched it. Just watch and tell me what you think about it. I'm no film analyst but it certainly gave me some stuff to think about. I don't want to call it a "high concept" movie but it just hit on some things that really got stuck in my head. Like I just repeated them over and over and over over over over over over

I'll do Fido but I'm not gonna rewatch as I've seen it fairly recently. I just want more people to see it. Fido is a zombie movie where the zombies didn't win and people domesticated them. It delves into a world that won against the undead tide but still suffers from it's after effects (mainly anybody who dies, even a natural death, still rises). A giant corporation helped win the zombie wars and now builds helpful collars to keep the zombies reined in as pets and house servants; but what happens when the collar malfunctions and a neighborhood starts to rack up a body count? It's almost Fallout-esque 50s nostalgia with zombies and gore, and Tim Blake Nelson. My memory of this movie isn't as fresh since I did not do a rewatch today. It's like if a Norman Rockwell painting had a kid walking a zombie to the soda fountain in small town.

I just wanted to highlight these 2 films because they are both really good and interesting (yet very different) takes on a zombie apocalypse. If you want something a little unique and a little nudge nudge wink wink in the genre, watch these films.

Edit: I'm not counting Pontypool for the challenge because I haven't started yet and my theme this year is remakes. I only watched it so I could tell you all it's still good 10 or so years on.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Due to deaths in the family (seems to be the real theme for October in my life) and starting a new job I think I'll have to end my challenge at 0 watched. I'm fuckin gutted. I'll save the list for next year. gently caress. Happy Halloween.

• Locked thread