Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

PSA: his name is Juicy Zombie

Don't listen to anyone else who may come in after this post and try to push Tar Man, it's Juicy Zombie. Thank you.

while this is true, it's also worth noting that 95% of horror fans have no idea what the hell a Juicy Zombie is and call him Tar Man, so both names are worth knowing just so you can avoid confusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
#1 / 31 - Dead Alive (1992) ★★★★★

A few days ago, my fiancee and I were talking about horror movies. Dead Alive came up, and she had, somehow, never seen it or even really heard of it.

I decided we were going to kick off the Horror Challenge a little early, because I needed to fix this and also because I hadn't seen it since high school myself. As it turns out, this movie still completely holds up, and if anything, has only gotten better with age. Every single joke in the movie lands perfectly. The movie, while not traditionally scary, manages to create an oddly unnerving air with its surrealism at times; Les, the chief living villain, seems more inspired by Baron Vladimir Harkonnen than any actual human being, and the universe at times seems to do supremely odd things just to make our hero's life hell. Most importantly, it's a total loving blast to watch, and it's no shock that this is the movie that really launched Peter Jackson's career.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 19, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just about, yeah. I hate to admit it but the playground scene is a B- in a movie otherwise filled with A+ scenes. But it's still my favorite horror movie.

Honestly, the playground scene is one of my favorites just for how ridiculous it gets. If it were just a little less absurd, it'd be horrifying, but as it is it makes me lose my poo poo every time.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
#2 / 31 - Cold Prey (2005) ★★★☆☆

A group of Norwegian young adults go snowboarding in the Alps; one of them breaks his leg, and they take refuge in a seemingly abandoned cabin, only to find out that it's occupied by a masked man the size of a house who wields a giant pickaxe.

This feels like a made-for-SyFy movie. It looks like straight up butt cheeks aside from a few nice nature shots that I presume are stock footage, the English dub acting is horrific (and unfortunately was the only audio track available to me), the pacing drags like hell, the characters are largely unlikable jackasses, the body count is low, and (the biggest crime of all) there's almost no gore and no nudity whatsoever.

But, with that said, this movie pretty much held my attention through it. Maybe I was just in the mood for a generic, kind of crappy slasher, but whatever itch I had, this scratched it.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
From what I gather, Video Treasures was a Media Home Entertainment label, and that might be the original release of Dream Warriors (which would go some ways towards explaining why it looked like straight rear end- 30 years ain't gonna be kind to a VHS)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Choco1980 posted:

So. There's one week left til the month starts, and I can actually begin my watching of stuff I've never seen. As I said earlier, I'd love if this year I would get some major goon input what to watch. This is difficult, because as you can see from My Letterboxd which is I'm sure by no means 100% accurate, (not to mention the site has a whole separate section for "thrillers" whatever that means) I've watched quite a few, so this marathon challenge of my personal rules gets harder each year. Anyways, I'm basically asking for your help. I'll let any goon command me in October to watch a horror movie I haven't. Only one title per person, so as not to make a mess of things. I'll do my best to include it in my lineup. There's no toxxing or anything here, it's just for fun, I just like the idea of you all making up my mind for me. To make things least error-filled, I guess you can go through that Letterboxd list linked above. If you name something I've already seen but is missing from the list, we both have a laugh, and you get to choose again. I don't care where you suggest the title to me; here, in the scream stream discord, in my pm inbox, whatever floats your boat. Thanks for the help!

I notice a distinctly Belladonna of Sadness-shaped hole in your Letterboxd. It needs to get filled with some Tatsuya Nakadai-voiced satan dick.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BioTech posted:

8. Belladonna of Sadness

That is a lot of rape and a lot of penis.
This felt more like a fairy tale on acid than what I would call horror, but it was beautiful and well done.

Between this, Critters 2, Deathdream and The Wicker Man I now saw 4 staff picks.
Aside from Deathdream I already had these movies lying around, the rest of the staff picks I've already seen (trying not to do rewatches), or I don't have access too, so not sure if more will follow.

e: also, to BtBR guy, yeah, the movie kinda doesn't make a whole lot of sense, it mostly owns because the aesthetics and mood of it are so loving good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
#3 / 31 - Starry Eyes (2014) ★★☆☆☆

The dumbest aspiring actress of all time goes to a sketchy audition. Satan happens.

I really don't know that I can write a fully coherent review of this, since it's 3:30 AM and I'm a little drunk, so I'm just gonna hit some key points that really bugged me, with the caveat that everything else in the movie is pretty much fine to excellent.

This movie has a really weird habit of being too clever by half. Like, it really really wants you to know how smart it is, so it ends up just really loving blatantly telegraphing literally everything that happens. If you've seen the first ten minutes or so, you can basically guess how this movie is going to go through its entire runtime, and there's several things that are just hilariously loving on-the-nose; it's like the movie just had absolutely no respect for my intelligence whatsoever.

Also, seriously, the protagonist of this movie is rock loving dumb. That's not even a tactical realism complaint on my part, because it's not that the protagonist isn't some ultra-skilled John Wick delta-force operator; it's that she's literally dumber than any human being I have ever met in my time on this Earth. This sort of ties in with the movie telegraphing everything, because the Satanists aren't even remotely trying to be subtle about what they are, and yet somehow nobody catches on (including her) until she looks like loving Brundlefly and literally cannot walk. She's also a pretty bad person through most of the movie. I'm going to be honest, she's frankly really, really loving hard to root for in any sense whatsoever, and at least one scene that was probably meant to be scary just ended up being really, really satisfying as a result.

Also also, the technical aspects of this movie are... odd. The editing is really janky in parts, to the extent where the movie sometimes doesn't make a ton of sense moment-to-moment (I got the general picture, but specific bits kinda made me go "wait, huh?"). The look of the movie kind of oscillates between modern and 80s at various times, without it ever really deciding on a coherent aesthetic. There's one scene that's just absurdly loving gory out of nowhere, despite the movie never before or after going quite that far. At one point, the movie just decides it's going to crib a scene out of Rosemary's Baby out of nowhere just in case you still don't get it that the movie's about Satan (see: too clever by half, not respecting my intelligence).

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 25, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #1: Love Something You Hate :siren:

:ghost: Pick a film from a horror sub-genre* that you don't like, and watch it.

#4 / 31 - Taeter City: City of Cannibals (2012) ★★★★☆

In the future, a dystopian government called The Authority runs everything. Animal meat has been outlawed; instead, people eat criminals, served to them by a massive fast-food chain called Taeter Burger. To procure criminals to make into burgers, the Authority uses the "ZEED System," which sends out radio waves that make potential criminals kill themselves, and sends out bikers to clean up the corpses and finish off anyone who isn't dead. Naturally, because there has to be a movie, the ZEED system fucks up and creates a supercriminal who can turn people into zombies by shrieking. A squad of bikers are sent out to try and kill this guy. Things do not go great.

This one... almost feels kinda like cheating. I usually really, really don't like microbudget gore flicks like this; Ryan Nicholson, Toetag Pictures, Andreas Schnaas, Olaf Ittenbach, you name it and it's just not my poo poo at all. There's something about Necrostorm, though, that really kind of endears them to me; it really feels like the DNA of their movies is quite different from the rest of the subgenre, with them being much more influenced by ultraviolent anime OVAs, Euro comics, and 80s action movies than anything else. Like, if I had to compare Taeter City to anything, it would be like if Hardware, Angel Cop, and Zombie '90: Extreme Pestilence got flung in a blender and the resulting slurry was formed into a 70-minute movie; it's an absolutely bizarre viewing experience and I can't possibly hate it because it's just got so much goddamn chutzpah. It's the kind of movie that makes you want to keep watching, just to see what kind of utterly bonkers thing is going to happen next, from a man being executed by "hand and skull destruction by twisting" to the aforementioned shrieking zombie-creator to the heroes' boss outright admitting out loud that none of the premise makes sense.

For a microbudget movie, the technical aspects of it are actually pretty good. The gore is fantastic (and actually makes me wince at a couple points), the movie's surprisingly well-shot on the whole, and the production design, while definitely the aspect that shows the movie's restrictions the hardest, is remarkably inventive. I will say, however, that Amazon Prime does it no favors; the transfer they have available looks like a badly encoded DVD-rip.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Spatulater bro! posted:

BTW, are the Phantasm sequels worth a look?

2 and 3 definitely are. 4 is weird, but interesting. I haven't seen 5 and have heard universally awful things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Retro Futurist posted:

16- Monster Squad

This one has been on my list for a while; A nice, family friendly horror film! Man, the 80s sure were a different time. Lots of swearing, homophobic language, and a dash of sexual blackmail made this a bit tough to sit through.
It's fun otherwise and the make up work is good, but I can't say I'd recommend it here in 2018 or watch it again myself, bit too problematic

I sort of feel like it's a toss-up with that movie, because... yes it's problematic, but it's also very very very accurate to how shithead kids act. Like even nowadays.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #2: Queer Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a horror movie with LGBQT+ plot or themes (directly or indirectly).

#5 / 31 - Bride of Chucky (1998) ★★★★★

This is the one where the series takes a... left turn.

Up to 1998, Child's Play had been a relatively serious horror franchise, aside from the inherent black comedy of a Brad Dourif-voiced killer doll menacing people. Bride of Chucky is an outright horror-comedy, with more in common with, say, Re-Animator than with Friday the 13th. And it absolutely loving rules.

Seriously, everything about this movie is utterly wonderful. Dourif's voice acting is the best it's been up to that point, and he gets some absolutely incredible material to work with. Jennifer Tilly makes an excellent counterpart to him, able to match up to him both in menace and in comedic chops, and she even gets some emotional character work at the end that... really, really should not work, but really, really does. The kills are both hilarious and technically well-executed (aside from a bit of spotty 1998 CGI), and the moving doll effects, courtesy of Kevin Yagher, are the best they've arguably ever been in the franchise.

Now, as for why this is queer. I really genuinely feel like this is kind of a tenuous one, because the closest the movie's themes come to being queer is that it constantly references Bride of Frankenstein. However, it is notable for one goddamn huge thing: one of the side characters is gay, this is never made a joke of, and he is treated completely and utterly respectfully by the movie. While he does die, he's not the first one to, and his death is completely mundane. Don Mancini, the guy behind the entire Child's Play franchise, is also openly gay, which is probably partly why this is a thing, but I didn't want to count it for that reason because he didn't actually direct the movie and it didn't say gay writer/producer.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 7, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #3: Hometown Horror :siren:

:ghost: Watch a film that takes place in the state* you currently live in

AND

:ghost: Watch a film that was filmed in the state you currently live in.

#6 / 31 - Planet Terror (2007) ★★★★☆

This one was a rewatch for the first time in a pretty long while. I'm really fond of this movie on the whole; everything from the bizarre dialogue to the endless parade of celebrity actors to the completely insane and yet utterly non-horrific gore just works for me on some base level and makes me incredibly happy.

I will say, however, that there's one thing that stuck out to me as odd. For all of its supposed being a grindhouse movie, I can't think of a single grindhouse movie that actually resembles this. The closest thing that I can think of that even might count is Night of the Creeps, and I would frankly say that more than anything this movie's DNA is shared with stuff like Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky, which postdates the period by quite a while. Actual grindhouse movies, for better or worse, never went quite this hard on the gore.

Also, I could have really, genuinely done without the whole bit with Quentin Tarantino wanting to get his dick wet. The turn towards black comedy kinda got me, but that was seriously just genuinely too gross.

Also also, this is probably obvious to some extent given that it's a Robert Rodriguez movie and that man loves Austin the way most people love their family members, but this movie is set and was shot in Texas, the state I live in.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 7, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

Tarantino seems to have a really weird thing about personally embarrassing himself and making himself look like a jackass, and I guess in a movie that balls out nuts and gross he just kind of took that really far. I do agree that scene is really out there and a bit much, but I think by that point the whole film has just pushed me into a state of "I give up."

I always get a kick out of the "reel missing" gag, though.

That gag loving owns. I really like the movie on the whole, hence 4 stars.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Several Goblins posted:

21. Starry Eyes (2014)

I've seen a lot of people talk about this movie lately, so I gave it a shot. I went in knowing the general consensus seemed to be "Good, but flawed," and I can almost agree. It did a lot right, but not much that I didn't feel was done better elsewhere. The story of someone who wants to get famous at whatever cost isn't touched on, or at least done well, very often. I also liked the addition of viewing Hollywood as a literal cult that rebirths people as "perfect" in the name of their chosen demon to be a good antagonist for preying upon people desperate to make it in showbiz. The fellatio for a movie part scene is a little rough to watch by any standards, but is even more unsettling and hard to watch by today's Hollywood climate standards. The pacing was a little janky, but LORD OF BOOTY put a link to his fan edit over in the Horror Thread and it solves most of those issues without hurting the film at all. I'd have to sit down and really think about it for a while, but for some reason, the movie just didn't click with me. The last 15 or so minutes were all that really caught my interest, if only for the sudden uptick in violence that seemed right out of the French Extremity wave. It's not a bad film. It's probably even pretty good. But I just couldn't really get into it.

:spooky::spooky:/5

If you've seen my version and the original: what did you think of my change to the ending? It's simultaneously the change I'm proudest of and iffiest on.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It really says something about how good TCM2 is that Savini gore is near the bottom of the list of reasons to watch it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SMP posted:

I mean hot takes on his Batman movies aside, I've never heard a single positive thing about Schumacher besides The Lost Boys.

Flatliners, Falling Down, and Phone Booth are all great. Schumacher's one of those directors who kind of disappears into whatever he's making, rather than having a particularly strong voice, which works really well sometimes and really badly at others.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

If 30 year olds playing high schoolers bothers you, maybe horror is not the genre for you.

I feel like usually a little more effort is put in than just taking someone who's obviously 30 and giving them pigtails.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly if they had actual teen actors in something like Carrie it would be grotesque to watch.

I dunno, I really sorta feel like that depends on how it's handled.

As-is, yeah, but a version of Carrie with teen actors would probably look pretty different than the movie we got.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #5: Birth of Horror :siren:

Motherfucker I have to try and find something from 1994, which to my knowledge was basically a dead zone for horror movies :cripes:

e: actually, this might not be that bad, I thought In the Mouth of Madness was 95 but apparently it's 94. There's also Cemetery Man, Phantasm 3 and New Nightmare for movies I know are at least decent, and for stuff I've never seen that looks interesting, there's Death Machine, Dark Waters, Brainscan, Nadja, Red to Kill, Embrace of the Vampire, and Wolf.

notably, though, that's a pretty huge cross-section of the horror movies released in 94 according to Wikipedia, and the entire rest of it seems to be straight-to-video crap.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 4, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

In the Mouth of Madness? Cemetery Man? New Nightmare?

Or go for the more interesting option and watch some DTV schlock you would never otherwise watch and have a good time with a bad movie.

I thought ItMoM was 1995 for some reason, and I legit forgot what year Cemetery Man came out period. Plus I wasn't super excited to rewatch New Nightmare, I remember that movie being okay but nothing special.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have ideas for horror movies based on horror movie fandom? Or centered around the watching of a horror movie/movies? Popcorn, Demons, and Scream would all count. Bonus points for drive-ins.

Dead End Drive In seems obvious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mover posted:

I'm even curious about The Exorcist III, if only for cameos by Patrick Ewing and Fabio.

Exorcist III is so, so loving good

it's not quite on the level of the original but it's very easily the second best movie with The Exorcist in the title

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

King Vidiot posted:

Is there some rule that we can't watch movies we've already seen? Or is that just some personal thing that some posters are abiding by?

Because I already kinda broke that rule, several times.

Nah, it's a self-imposed rule. Otherwise some of us probably wouldn't be able to participate. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
man, actually looking at the Video Nasty list, a lot of these movies seem really, really random.

like, I legitimately have no clue what Possession is doing there; it's not super graphically violent or sexually explicit (it is both, but not to the level of basically anything else on the list) and it's a straight-up arthouse movie by a well-regarded director with a pretty decently well-known cast. and like, I at least understand how Driller Killer ended up on the list (media furor over the VHS cover with the guy getting a drill to the forehead), but... i kinda gather that nobody actually watched the movie, or they would have been very confused as to why they should be outraged by it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Random Stranger posted:

Day 5 - DeepStar Six

This is why, if you're going to watch a 1989 underwater horror movie, you should go for the one with Robocop and Richard Crenna in it instead of the one with nobody in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Catching up with two movies, one I'm a little late reviewing and one I'm just finishing.

#7 / 31 - Jigsaw (2017) ★★★★☆

I'm gonna be honest, this one surprised the absolute hell out of me. When I look for quality, I do not generally look at Saw sequels. The first movie is pretty decent, in my opinion; I like James Wan just fine, and the first Saw is basically just him trying to do a giallo, complete with his homage to the Suspiria piano wire death. The sequels, however, are diminishing returns, and fall off a loving cliff once Tobin Bell is shuffled off the stage beyond voice acting. A reboot of the Saw series in 2017 should be, by all rights, the worst loving thing on planet Earth. But no. Jigsaw, the latest entry in the Saw series (and I can't believe I'm saying this, but hopefully not the last) is a drat fun watch.

The plot is, on its face, pretty simple. Ten years have passed since Jigsaw died. All of a sudden, bodies start piling up, including a guy with a remote for an apparent bomb asking for a particular detective and babbling about how "the game has just begun." Tellingly, all the bodies are mangled in bizarre ways and have a jigsaw puzzle piece cut out somewhere. Meanwhile, five people are locked in a barn, playing a Jigsaw game in which they must atone for each of the sins they've committed. This seems to be where the bodies are coming from, because whenever someone dies in the Jigsaw game, a body turns up for the detectives to find.

Because it's a Saw sequel, there's... a twist that is delivered as several mini-twists. I really, really, really do not want to give it away, so I'm going to basically stop talking about the plot in any detail now. I will say this: well loving played, movie.

Another striking thing about the movie, beyond the twist legitimately seriously catching me off guard, is that... it actually looks really, really good. It pretty much ditches the characteristic aesthetic established by Darren Lynn Bousman in Saw II. Instead, it uses a much cleaner one with less super-saturated green, which is simultaneously less distinctive and a whole lot nicer to look at. The gore is pretty fun, too- I can safely say I've never seen a guy's head get split like a chocolate orange until this movie.

Overall, good poo poo. Even if you don't like the Saw series, if American faux-gialli are your poo poo, this is probably a good one to go for.

#8 / 31 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) ★★★★★

Holy poo poo, this movie rules. If you haven't seen it, or if it's been a while since your last rewatch, go watch it right the gently caress now what are you even doing.

I almost want to end my review there, but I'd feel bad, especially after spending so many words on a goddamn Saw reboot. Dream Warriors is the movie that cemented who Freddy Krueger was in pop culture. It's also Frank Darabont's audition to make Stephen King movies- it's almost hilarious how much this movie parallels IT, both thematically and in content (Freddy is basically Pennywise in this movie). It's also a loving rad as hell Dokken song that plays over the end credits of the movie (fun fact: I rewatched this mostly because that song has been stuck in my goddamn head for days).

It's been three years since Nancy Thompson Home Aloned Freddy at the cost of her mom's life and her dad's sobriety. All of a sudden, a bunch of kids end up in a psych ward presided over by two doctors, one of whom is the dumbest motherfucker of all time and one of whom is... also not overly bright but eventually catches on to the obvious. They're in here because they've supposedly tried to kill themselves. I say "supposedly" because... oh come on, you know what movie this is a sequel to, in this case it's not even a remote spoiler because the literal first thing the movie shows the audience is one of them getting owned by Freddy.

Anyhow. Nancy figures out what's up and gets into the hospital under cover of being a grad student. She then gets in contact with the kids, finds out that one of them can pull other people into dreams Inception-style, and uses this plus hypnosis to try and teach them to beat Freddy senseless, before they all die.

This one is seriously loving great and needs to become part of my regular Halloween rotation.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 7, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just in case anyone's feeling daunted or discouraged by how far M_Sinistrari has already gone in this challenge: they posted their life story a while back in the horror thread, and assuming every part of it's true, they're basically horror royalty. Anyone who grew up knowing Forrest J. Ackerman and Christopher Lee personally to any extent is gonna make the rest of us look like absolute chumps where this stuff is concerned, pretty much guaranteed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Class3KillStorm posted:

Time to play weekend catch-up.

#16. The Beyond (Shudder) - :ghost::ghost:/5

I'd never seen this one, and quite frankly, I don't see what all the fuss was about. I have a love-hate relationship with Italian horror, it comes in cycles, and recently I've found myself not as enamored of it as I was in the past. I also don't know if I'd seen any other Fulci movies besides Zombi 2, but that was years ago and I have no memory of it. This one, I didn't find the plot line interesting, and I found the focus on the gore and violence unnecessary and pointless. Like, I'm normally not squeamish, but just having the camera stare at things like eyeless corpses vomiting blood or faces getting dissolved by acid seemed to just be grotesqueness for its own sake, not anything in particular.

I dunno - I hear that this is Fulci's best, or at least most famous, but it also is the second chapter in a loose thematic trilogy. Are the other two chapters any better than this, or am I fine with skipping them?

You're going to loving hate City of the Living Dead, but House by the Cemetery might possibly be your bag. Overall, it sounds kinda like you just won't end up being a Fulci fan, and that's fine.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

I dunno, City of the Living Dead is also a bit more straightforward than The Beyond. I'd say watch one of the two remaining in the trilogy, doesn't particularly matter which one, but The Beyond is probably not the best place to start imo.

I'm more going off their beef with the gore. The Beyond is frankly mild where that stuff is concerned compared to City.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, if you think Argento is spotty, you're gonna be pretty down on Fulci. Fulci is somehow spottier.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's honestly hard for me to find it even remotely disturbing when Chucky gets mutilated, because Chucky is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Like... Jason is a slasher, yes, but Jason's never really capable of cruelty. He just sees you, turns you into chunky salsa, and moves on. Chucky, meanwhile, is really, really into psychologically manipulating people and relishing in their pain; this means my reaction to stuff like the CP2 ending is less :stonk: and more "ha ha get wrecked you little hellfucker."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
#9 / 31 - Inside (2007) ★★★☆☆

I'm... I'm gonna be honest, I'm really not sure how to feel about this movie.

This was a rewatch for me, and I loving loved it the first time. On the original watch, I was half ready to call this one of the most entertaining horror flicks I've ever seen. But... I'm gonna be honest, it's been a while, and my personal squicks and my attitudes towards certain things have kinda changed in a way that made this significantly less fun to revisit.

The basic plot (and holy christ is it a basic plot) is as follows. Sarah, heavily pregnant, gets in a car accident and loses her husband. She decides to spend Christmas Eve alone grieving, while a day away from going into labor with the baby. All of a sudden, an assailant starts trying to bust into her home, knowing exactly who she is and what her circumstances are, and pretty clearly meaning to do something a lot worse than rob her. From here, the movie's basically Sarah and the assailant fighting against each other, with assorted random people inserting themselves into the situation and getting killed messily, lobotomized, or lobotomized and then killed messily.

Which is a good segue, because this movie really, really likes graphic brain trauma. Like, there's at least three separate people in this goddamn movie who get stabbed or shot in the head and are still alive afterwards, but visibly and horrifically brain damaged from it. I almost wonder if the movie's trying to do something with it, but frankly, it doesn't seem to dovetail with any of the obvious themes- Bustillo and Maury just seem to really, really like gore gags with lobotomies.

This wouldn't be a problem if the movie were serious, because I can't really get mad at a serious horror movie for disturbing me. However, either this movie's tone is very, very confused, or Bustillo/Maury are scared of much more ludicrous things than I am, because... solidly half of this movie is so utterly over-the-top and absurd that it feels less like High Tension or Martyrs and more like a more grounded and straight-faced Braindead or Planet Terror. Hell, it almost seems to be leaning into it at times, with things like the aerosol can flamethrower out of nowhere, the ending gore gag, and basically everything with the Arab rioter who gets quite literally dragged into the mess. As a result, instead of being effective horror scenes in an effective horror movie, all the graphic head trauma just winds up being weirdly "real" for a movie that's otherwise a bonkers thrill ride; it makes the movie feel like it really can't decide whether it wants to be Green Room or Evil Dead 2 and ends up settling for "por que no los dos."

I will say, to the movie's credit, that it looks nice as hell. The cinematography is legit fantastic in a lot of parts, and I feel like the movie being aesthetically fantastic really kind of smooths over a lot of its issues, at least on a first viewing. Also, while the performances are largely nothing special, the killer's actress is... certainly something. She's largely just nondescriptly threatening, but at a few points, Sarah manages to get one over on her, and... to say she doesn't take it well would be the understatement of the century, she straight-up starts loving Cage raging and stabbing walls with her scissors and screaming incoherently- one of the many reasons why this movie works better as an OTT thrill ride than as a "legit" horror movie.

At the end of the day, though, this is a movie you can't really skip if you're a horror fan, regardless of my opinions of its flaws. Like, this is a pretty pivotal flick in a movement that I think a lot of us would classify as being pretty important to modern horror; New French Extremity is pretty much why we get violent horror movies in theaters again, and Inside is probably the NFE movie that's simultaneously the most entertaining and least unpalatable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I loving god drat love Tetsuo: The Iron Man

I seriously think I've seen that movie like 20 times by now

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Pieces is a Spanish movie, for what it's worth.

e: New French Extremity is... hit and miss. Inside is a hoot, though I don't like it as much now as I did in high school. High Tension is 95% a good movie and then the ending happens and ruins everything. Frontier(s) is pretty neat.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
#10 / 31 - The Return of the Living Dead (1985) ★★★★★

I think this might be the best zombie movie ever made. It's absolutely in the top 5. I hadn't seen it since high school and my fiancee hadn't seen it period, so revisiting it and introducing her to it was fun as hell.

The main thing that kind of stuck out to me is how... not gory it is. There's basically one big gore shot, where the one zombie gets through and eats Scuz, and the rest of the movie is actually remarkably bloodless; if it weren't for the cursing this might even be a PG-13, given the era.

Also, the music in this movie loving rules. Not just the soundtrack cuts, but the score, too; I always love synth scores in horror and man if this isn't a fantastic one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6eIriOgSg

This is another one that's gonna go from "haven't watched in years" to "a regular Halloween watch" for me.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t think they allowed not insignificant amounts of full frontal nudity in PG-13 movies ever, my dude.

Doc Hollywood, Critters 2

fuckin' Sixteen Candles is PG

e: like, I honestly think our memories kind of overstate how much nudity is actually in RotLD. the infamous striptease is only a few seconds long, there's only a few other quick shots of Linnea Quigley naked, and it's not really full frontal because she's super obviously wearing flesh-colored underwear.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 11, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Franchescanado posted:

:siren: FRAN CHALLENGE #4: Worst of the Best :siren:

:ghost: Watch a highly regarded director's worst movie.

#11 / 31 - John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars (2001) ★★☆☆☆

This is so, so, so close to being a legitimately good movie. It's basically Carpenter doing a riff on Evil Dead or Demons, complete with POV shots from the mysterious possessing force and the protagonist fighting it off the way Ash does at the start of Evil Dead 2. It's got Ice Cube playing Most Definitely Not Snake Plissken and Jason Statham as a sex pest, the villains are all super cool with really unique and fun designs, and the gore is nifty.

One big problem: the score sucks. The score to this movie might be the absolute worst thing Carpenter has ever put his name on. Every time something happens in the movie, it just kicks in with the absolute worst kind of CHUNKA CHUNKA CHUNKA early-2000s buttrock, and I'm just amazed that something made by John Carpenter, Steve Vai, Buckethead, Anthrax, and a member of NIN could have turned out this goddamned awful.

Seriously, see for yourself. This is basically what kicks in every time something happens in the movie, and it's horrendous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgogMO3s5l8

That said, though, I really don't hate this movie; it's just that it has a giant, glaring black mark on it. If it weren't for how awful the score is, this movie would legit own and would probably be a cult classic by now.

watchlist with links

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

This actually loving rules :psyduck: Let me guess, it's the best thing about the movie by several country miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Guy Goodbody posted:

FRAN CHALLENGE #6: Video Nasties

I like Driller Killer a lot, but it's a movie that's been done pretty dirty by its reputation. It's barely a horror movie, it's more of a weird drama with a couple of kill scenes in it.

FancyMike posted:

It still felt to me like the movie presented it positively and rejected a revolutionary option in favor of a reductive appeal to change from the inside get out and vote centrism. She presents no platform other than purge bad, no critique of systemic causes for it. Even if things are not really solved the movie still I think presents it on at least a better path, is fully on her side the whole way through, and believes it a much preferable outcome to a revolution led by the people. Which feels weak to me, why walk it back like that? It's already so indulgent lets imagine something better.

I don't feel like Purge: Election Year is saying that working within the system is better, so much as it's saying that working within the system can also do good. Her election doesn't negate the need for a revolution, but it makes things a bit less immediately awful in the meantime, if that makes sense.

• Locked thread